• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best breakfast along the Way

A

Anemone del Camino

We all rave about cafe con leche, but what about the Tostada de tomate?

I love it, but is it available on all routes? Can we ask for one on any route?

And why doesn't it taste the same at home?

Any other suggestions for a divine breakfast that goes beyond the traditional croissant amd OJ?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Léon hot chocolate is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Chocolate con churros, served with freshly made crullers is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for walking! For an additional delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is tostado de tomate sliced tomato on toast? An old favourite. Plain, with butter, with cream cheese, with hommus... Butter is best. In Mérida once, the most delicious poached eggs in a tomato sauce - not ketchup, a sauce cooked with tomatoes. Lejos de cf though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is tostado de tomate sliced tomato on toast? An old favourite. Plain, with butter, with cream cheese, with hommus... Butter is best. In Mérida once, the most delicious poached eggs in a tomato sauce - not ketchup, a sauce cooked with tomatoes. Lejos de cf though.

Noooo, no butter, aceite! :D If fresh, the tomato is rubbed on the tostada or you can get it already made in a little tub like marmalade...

When I walked with a friend in September, she discovered the delights of tostada (always made with the real, Spanish bread, not the square supermarket stuff) with olive oil and fresh tomato. But she liked plain sliced whole tomato, not the tomato pulp usually available. So each morning I would explain that she wanted a "tomate fresco entero con tostada y un poco de aceite".

Personally I have enormous admiration for any nation that dreams up a breakfast of chocolate con churros. I have it booked for my last meal on earth.

I love the word they use in Argentina and some parts of Spain for a croissant; they call it a "media luna". Such a pretty sound, and how it evokes the crescent moon.

Noooo, no butter, aceite! :D If fresh, the tomato is rubbed on the tostada or you can get it already made in a little tub like marmalade...

I am quite shocked to read such comments from a member in Kent, England. Bread and butter was a marriage made in heaven, consummated in your native land and shared thereafter with all its conquests. To think, once the sun never set on bread and butter, and now you, in a home county no less, are extolling foreign olive oil. For shame.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am quite shocked to read such comments from a member in Kent, England. Bread and butter was a marriage made in heaven, consummated in your native land and shared thereafter with all its conquests. To think, once the sun never set on bread and butter, and now you, in a home county no less, are extolling foreign olive oil. For shame.

:D:D:D:D

Olive oil isn't foreign in Spain. When in Rome .... ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here are some of the breakfast favorites I've collected over the years:
  1. Bar Valentin, Zubiri. It's owned and run by the town butcher shop, so just imagine!
  2. Albergue El Palo de Avellano, Zubiri. Nice spread with cereal and homemade cake.
  3. Breakfast buffet at Hotel Maissonave, Pamplona. Really, just about any 3-star hotel will serve up a nice buffet for around 12 euros.
  4. Meson de la Tortilla, Pamplona. Seven different types of tortillas served up daily (three vegetarian options). Located in a plaza just off the trail.
  5. Cafe Bombon, Logrono. The most delightful coffee drink, of espresso, sweetened condensed milk, tiny bit of steamed milk. Also available in other places, but that one is my favorite.
  6. Bar at Hostal Camino Real, Calzadilla de la Cueza
  7. Confiteria Asturcon in Sahagun, for the most amazing pastries.
  8. There is a lovely cafe in Pieros, 2 km after Cacabelos, that serves hot breakfasts - eggs and meats.
  9. The bar at El Puente Peregrino, Trabadela - everything is amazing, including the brownies and fair trade coffee
Buen provecho!

~ Nancy

What about morning tea ?????
Do I have to make that myself or is that available everywhere for buying along the Camino
in the early morning ????

Do I have to make that myself or is that available everywhere for buying along the Camino
:D:D I am a café con leche person myself, but my Aussie cousin/walking companion always spoke of 'morning tea.' Not once did I hear her complain that it wasn't available.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:D:D I am a café con leche person myself, but my Aussie cousin/walking companion always spoke of 'morning tea.' Not once did I hear her complain that it wasn't available.

Thank you,
I am starting my first walk in beginning of June.
As long as I get my morning tea, I can eat what ever is there.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
They have tea in Spain ;) Early morning.... Depends! But then it's the same with coffee...

Exactly, thats what worries me. How early do they open the bars in the small villages in the mountain.
I do live in south Spain in the winter half year making my own tea in the morning but when I am out
it is not many places they have black tea , mostly red or green or something fruity. But I do live in a very small fishing village, though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you want a good tea, take your own with you. I walked with a Spaniard who likes his cuppa. Not that he got it that often. I rarely ordered it because I am a tea snob who hates tea bags.

Exactly, thats what worries me. How early do they open the bars in the small villages in the mountain.
I do live in south Spain in the winter half year making my own tea in the morning but when I am out
it is not many places they have black tea , mostly red or green or something fruity. But I do live in a very small fishing village, though.

As I said, it depends when they open, sometimes it is not before 9 ... If you are desperate for that early morning cup of tea, you'll find other pilgrims found the solution with the 'electric coil' ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As Domigee suggested electric coils are great! We who carry them would never travel without one! See more info here.

Happy boiling and Buen camino!

I guess I have to bring an electric boiler and tin cup and tea. ......
but my luggage are not going to be over 7 kg, incl water. Thats my limit.

Bars with kitchens will cook eggs scrambled, sunnyside up, or omelet. They usually have some becon around to add some meat.
Just before Pintin, Casa do Franco - sunnyside up with becon - eggs are double yolks! On a sunny day - perfect for 2nd breakfast after crepes for 1st breakfast at A Balsa.:):):)IMG_2393.JPG

And not to forget Pilar's place, on the left as you enter Murias de Rechivaldo...it's an oasis for this vegetariana.
And she has Muesli!! (An Irish peregrino was so taken by this that he ate almost the entire container.:p)

Just before Pintin, Casa do Franco - sunnyside up with becon - eggs are double yolks! On a sunny day - perfect for 2nd breakfast after crepes for 1st breakfast at A Balsa.:):):)View attachment 24509
Now that's a real breakfast. Carbs and protein to get ya going.
Waaaay better than just a piece of toasted bread with butter or jam to go with my coffee.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As I said, it depends when they open, sometimes it is not before 9 ... If you are desperate for that early morning cup of tea, you'll find other pilgrims found the solution with the 'electric coil' ...

I too am a morning tea drinker. Actually all day tea drinker. Anywhere that serves cafe con leche will also serve té con leche. Some even ask if you want the milk frio or caliente. I was happy to have either! So, take heart, tea drinkers!

And not to forget Pilar's place, on the left as you enter Murias de Rechivaldo...it's an oasis for this vegetariana.
And she has Muesli!! (An Irish peregrino was so taken by this that he ate almost the entire container.:p)

That was my all time favourite place for breakfast too. I wished I could have stayed for lunch and dinner!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm with mspath chocolate and churros from a street vendor ummm how about roasted chestnuts ai ai ai ai :)

zzotte

I'm with mspath chocolate and churros from a street vendor ummm how about roasted chestnuts ai ai ai ai :)

zzotte
Where, where, where? The only chocolate & churros I have seen were 1) in a toursit trap in Santiago (and the oil used for the churros was clearly old) and 2) in a small ber in O Cavado on the Primitivo. Would love to see this on offer more often. And roasted chestnuts, yummm... Where have you seen these street vendors?

In Léon hot chocolate is so thick that the spoon almost stands in the cup. Chocolate con churros, served with freshly made crullers is a delicious, caloric treat and fuel for walking! For an additional delicious pick-up try freshly squeezed zumo naranja or orange juice.
A year ago I happened upon a fiesta in Grañón and one of the stalls was selling freshly made churros. It was very interesting to see the making them from scratch and delicious! Grañón happens to be one of my favourite Camino places.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In Burgos, leaving Hotel Norte & Londres strait out as if you are going to the dry cleaners its a little plaza with a bull keep left on the major street walk a little more next to a park is a permanent stand of the most delicious churros :) on the way back stay left on the side walk is a great little bakery (just in case you have not stuffed yourself enough with churros) hahaha :)

zzotte

A year ago I happened upon a fiesta in Grañón and one of the stalls was selling freshly made churros. It was very interesting to see the making them from scratch and delicious! Grañón happens to be one of my favourite Camino places.
I grew up with a churro making skquirting thing, bit no deep frier, so my mother never made them. Now the extrudor is gone but a few shops in town sell the mix to make them, and I have a deep frier... o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The best and also the biggest breakfast of our Camino was at El Paraiso del Bierzo in the village of Las Herrerias, that fortified us for the climb up to O Cebreiro. Cost twice as much as usual, but it was well worth it. I don't know if they expected us to eat all the cakes but we did. They seemed pleased.

And why doesn't it taste the same at home?

Any other suggestions for a divine breakfast that goes beyond the traditional croissant amd OJ?
OMG OMG OMG PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE dont get me started. hahaha. Bon appetite, Buen Camino :) Caesar

I like this thread, because honestly we found it very difficult to find a breakfast that included any protein. It seems that everything was a bread of some sort. I am going to make notes for my April Camino. Keep them coming.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Personally I have enormous admiration for any nation that dreams up a breakfast of chocolate con churros. I have it booked for my last meal on earth.
A perfect ending.

Bread and butter was a marriage made in heaven
A friend of mine says, "Bread is just a delivery system for butter."

If you want a good tea, take your own with you.
Though I'm quite the minimalist (save for the electric toothbrush), I say take a few tea bags along just in case and ask for agua caliente.

We took tea bags with us so we could have a cuppa 1st thing before leaving the Albergue then either more tea or coffee at our 1st breakfast stop.

You
We took tea bags with us so we could have a cuppa 1st thing before leaving the Albergue then either more tea or coffee at our 1st breakfast stop.
can also buy twabags aling the way either in the Little Supermercados or in a health food shop. Burn Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here are some of the breakfast favorites I've collected over the years:
  1. Bar Valentin, Zubiri. It's owned and run by the town butcher shop, so just imagine!
  2. Albergue El Palo de Avellano, Zubiri. Nice spread with cereal and homemade cake.
  3. Breakfast buffet at Hotel Maissonave, Pamplona. Really, just about any 3-star hotel will serve up a nice buffet for around 12 euros.
  4. Meson de la Tortilla, Pamplona. Seven different types of tortillas served up daily (three vegetarian options). Located in a plaza just off the trail.
  5. Cafe Bombon, Logrono. The most delightful coffee drink, of espresso, sweetened condensed milk, tiny bit of steamed milk. Also available in other places, but that one is my favorite.
  6. Bar at Hostal Camino Real, Calzadilla de la Cueza
  7. Confiteria Asturcon in Sahagun, for the most amazing pastries.
  8. There is a lovely cafe in Pieros, 2 km after Cacabelos, that serves hot breakfasts - eggs and meats.
  9. The bar at El Puente Peregrino, Trabadela - everything is amazing, including the brownies and fair trade coffee
Buen provecho!

~ Nancy
I've stayed at the Hotel Maisonnaive in Pamplona three times and always been impressed with their breakfast. In full agreement with no.3.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel...eviews-Maisonnave_Hotel-Pamplona_Navarra.html

I like this thread, because honestly we found it very difficult to find a breakfast that included any protein. It seems that everything was a bread of some sort. I am going to make notes for my April Camino. Keep them coming.
If you are "salty breakfast" person (vs jam on toast), enjoy the chorizo amd cured hams and lovely cheeses. High protein, high fat, great fuel for a long day on the trail. And there is aleays the default tortilla de patatas. Funny, in my younger days, before the Paleo diet was ever invited, I didn not understand breakfasts in Germany, The Netherlands, etc. Now they would be all the rage with their ham and cheeses.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Me gusta mucho pan y patatas y tortas pero ... what is Spanish for "carbs make me fat"?

Quite off topic but the above seems too good a segue to miss. One of the funnier moments of life in Australia just recently - a book out about a former prime minister. The book said there was a perception he was having an affair with his female chief of staff. One of the bits of evidence was that, at a restaurant one night, she twirled her fork in her own plate of spaghetti and held it out and fed him with it.

Said one reporter: "It can't be true. He doesn't eat carbs".

Back to Camino breakfasts.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Quite off topic but the above seems too good a segway to miss.

Back to Camino breakfasts.
Siri strikes again! Or autocorrect or whatever. Helpfully for once as I always thought segue was French. Mortified to find I have been mispronouncing it all my life. Same with ceviche which I only recently found out is not French either. Slightly relevant, if not a breakfast dish. At least as far as I know...

Problem with being more a reader than a speaker. Even in English - who knew mizzled is not how you pronounce misled.:(

Another detour...

Ah! Yes! Very funny. Sorry about that. The way on a Segway?

The rot started when them there Romans came over for a holiday and overstayed their welcome by about 450 years, brought wine and edible dormice and all sorts of foreign muck ;) now we stick to proper English fare like curries, sushi and Cantonese :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Where, where, where? The only chocolate & churros I have seen were 1) in a toursit trap in Santiago (and the oil used for the churros was clearly old) and 2) in a small ber in O Cavado on the Primitivo. Would love to see this on offer more often. And roasted chestnuts, yummm... Where have you seen these street vendors?

There is a outdoor cafe in Burgos that serves fabulous chocolate y churros, but I don't think they open until 8:30 or 9 am. If you are facing Arco de Santa Maria, walk about two short blocks to your right and the cafe is on your left, facing the river.

In SdC I'm quite partial to the churros at La Radio (near to the old market) - worth walking 800km for!
Also in Rúa da Senra there's Gestoria Rodriguez Margarinos and Hostal Suso (nice rooms too) in Rua do Vilar and . . . . OMG so that's why I keep going back!

Churros is cooked oil with refined starch and sugar...
Tostada de tomate is tomatoes with olive oil....
The choice is easy
Hope I find many

I too am a morning tea drinker. Actually all day tea drinker. Anywhere that serves cafe con leche will also serve té con leche. Some even ask if you want the milk frio or caliente. I was happy to have either! So, take heart, tea drinkers!
For me when I'm in North Van its Moja time

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Over the past 5 weeks I've been wandering around Spain. I've had (or observed) tostadas con tomate on the VdlP and the Frances, as well as in Madrid, Nerja and Grenada. It seems that you can ask for it anywhere even when it's not listed on the menu. However, sometimes I've been given a chunk of tomato instead of the dish of grated/puréed tomato.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back