• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Breathable Light Hiking Shoes?

Thing1_Thing2

Time of past OR future Camino
June 3 2017 to July 2017
I'm looking of the best breathable, light, quick drying hiking shoe on the market. Merril makes a shoe called the Ventilator that is close to what I'm looking for, but I want to buy something that's made better and more durable. Edit: Male here.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've had good luck with the Sportiva Bushido in summer weather. Go up a half size in these, though. Scarpas in winter weather. The Scarpas are pricey but my last pair walked over 1000 miles.

I'm looking of the best breathable, light, quick drying hiking shoe on the market. Merril makes a shoe called the Ventilator that is close to what I'm looking for, but I want to buy something that's made better and more durable.
Check out La Sportivas. They fit your description of what you are looking for perfectly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked 1,600 Kms in a low cut Morril in 2015, ( plus about 200 breaking them in ) . One minor blister in total. The boots did literally fall apart the last week but they did outlast the five fair of double lined socks that went inside them.
keen sandals for the evening

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Check out Haglofs they have lots of different hiking shoes. I've walked the Frances twice in a model like Observe II GT and they are not worn at all so I'm using them again on the Primitvo this summer
Since it's Goretex they don't get wet inside and I never had any problems with blisters.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I really wanted the Hokas to work for me, but withy long foot I had to go to a men's size, which were way to wide for me.
I walked in lightweight New Balance Vazee Summits, which fit my long narrow foot perfectly.

I really wanted the Hokas to work for me, but withy long foot I had to go to a men's size, which were way to wide for me.
I walked in lightweight New Balance Vazee Summits, which fit my long narrow foot perfectly.

Same. I tried Hokas, but they didn't work for my short, wide foot. Felt like they fit pretty well, and very comfy, in the store, but felt heavy and constricting on the trail. Did nothing for my PF either.

My trail runner of choice is Brookes Cascadia. Light, stable, roomy toe box, breathable & quick drying. I use it mostly for exercise walking now.

I fell in love with Ahnu Montara for the trail. Hiking shoe, with a more rigid shank and vibram grip, but as light, low profile, and fast as a trail runner. My PF is rarely an issue anymore.

I was at REI yesterday looking for dog walking boots and the boot guy showed me the new Merrill low ventilator that is "beefier" and waterproof.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm looking of the best breathable, light, quick drying hiking shoe on the market. Merril makes a shoe called the Ventilator that is close to what I'm looking for, but I want to buy something that's made better and more durable. Edit: Male here.
Wore Merrell Ventilators on two Caminos (SJPdP-SDC), 2013 and 2015. Both worked well, and plenty durable. They were in good shape when I got to Santiago and later had duty at home cutting grass, painting the house, etc. The model I wore were not the waterproof ones and don't recommend those for a summertime Camino. Don't need them and they don't breath as well and take longer to dry.
The Camino is kinda tough on footwear, but if the footwear wasn't in bad shape before you started, the Camino won't destroy them. Just get's them dirty and funky.

My trail runner of choice is Brookes Cascadia. Light, stable, roomy toe box, breathable & quick drying. I use it mostly for exercise walking now.

I've gone through two pair of Cascadias. They are so comfy...but the mesh on top blew out on both pairs. :(

Wore Merrell Ventilators on two Caminos (SJPdP-SDC), 2013 and 2015. Both worked well, and plenty durable. They were in good shape when I got to Santiago and later had duty at home cutting grass, painting the house, etc. The model I wore were not the waterproof ones and don't recommend those for a summertime Camino. Don't need them and they don't breath as well and take longer to dry.
The Camino is kinda tough on footwear, but if the footwear wasn't in bad shape before you started, the Camino won't destroy them. Just get's them dirty and funky.
That was true for me, too. On both my Caminos I decided not to invest in beautiful brand new shoes, but wore a pair of "tried and true" trail runners in good condition from my closet and they held up well. This year will be a different story, however, as I have nothing much left to choose from, so off to the store I will go.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That was true for me, too. On both my Caminos I decided not to invest in beautiful brand new shoes, but wore a pair of "tried and true" trail runners in good condition from my closet and they held up well. This year will be a different story, however, as I have nothing much left to choose from, so off to the store I will go.
I think a pair of the Merrells I wore have a life of two Caminos, but that would be it, probably, and probably all you can expect of most of the modern shoes like that, that can't be re-soled. Still, 1000 miles or more of walking? Not bad for any shoe, and really all one can expect from compressed foam, rubber, synthetics and some pieces of leather.

Same. I tried Hokas, but they didn't work for my short, wide foot. Felt like they fit pretty well, and very comfy, in the store, but felt heavy and constricting on the trail. Did nothing for my PF either.

I fell in love with Ahnu Montara for the trail. Hiking shoe, with a more rigid shank and vibram grip, but as light, low profile, and fast as a trail runner. My PF is rarely an issue anymore.
I think a pair of the Merrells I wore have a life of two Caminos, but that would be it, probably, and probably all you can expect of most of the modern shoes like that, that can't be re-soled. Still, 1000 miles or more of walking? Not bad for any shoe, and really all one can expect from compressed foam, rubber, synthetics and some pieces of leather.
Good point, Mark!

I have worn the same pair of Merrill Moab ventilators for 500 miles on the Via de La Plata and 100 miles on the Camino Portugues plus at lease another 300 miles locally and they were great. No sign of blisters or other problems. I bought them 1 size larger than my regular shoes and wore silk liner socks and merino wool hiking socks. Will do the same for an upcoming 200 mile stretch of the Camino Portuguese in June. Good luck with finding the right ones for yourself

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ahhh yes, the Merrill Ventilator which almost ended my trek of the Camino very early on because of it's soft sole which caused an injury to my foot. Wore them one day up to the point of injury. The rest of the day and trek I wore my Asolo boots The Merrill Vetilators went in the trash at the alburgue we stayed in that night. I wrote Merrill when I got home ... no response. Asolo makes a trekking/hiking shoe which I will have with me on our Norte' trek "fall 2017".

As you can tell from the comments received, opinions vary wildly. Nearly every manufacturer makes a "breathable, light, quick drying hiking shoe." That's what they have in common--what they don't have in common is that they all seem to have a slightly different philosophy regarding the shape of the human foot. I would suggest that the most important factor to consider is which shoe fits YOUR feet the best, not which brand or which model worked for someone else.

@trecile, like you I have a long narrow (womens) foot so must buy a mens show for caminos. It’s difficult to get many of the European brands in NZ but I’ve found the mens Scarpas are narrow enough. Tip - Don’t get a shoe with goretex (otherwise, too hot and water stays trapped)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked in Merrills and Salamons. This year I am trying a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3 trail runners. They are quite different to any other shoe I have worn and I am hoping that used in conjunction with Injinji toe socks I won't have any toe rub issues. We'll see! Buen Camino.

Last edited:
@JMac56 - I walked the VdlP last year wearing the Lone Peak and they stood up very well to the 1000km. I loved the wide foot shape and I loved the light feel to the shoe but I suffered with foot pain from day two. I suffered with pain along the top of my foot and I continue to have a problem with this pain months later... I can't walk barefoot now even at home. The pain was always worse when I took the shoe off at the end of the day.

My pain is sporadic and the consensus at the moment is that it is a damaged nerve between my toes and was most likely caused by the zero-drop shoe.

I did write to Altra and they have been very helpful... and I really love the shape of this shoe... but I have to avoid the zero-drop now... it seems they are just not right for me.

I'm a little reluctant to say bad things about the shoe because they are great... they really hold the ground well and sooo light. But, follow the transition guidance on the Altra website and if you start to suffer foot pain when walking or when you take the shoes off then go carefully.

Look at Keen Arroyo II sandals--sole of a hiking boot married to a sandal top. I've walked the John Muir Trial (200 or so miles) in them, and my last Camino (CF, SJPP-Muxia). For that Camino, I also carried a pair of walking shoes for all of the concrete and asphalt (the Keens were for the gravel roads/trails/mud/rain (because they dry fast)).

On that second Camino, my wife wore Hoka trail runners. She liked them, but any one pair of shoes over that distance gets rough (at least if you are regularly doing 35kms as we were the second time). Carrying the second pair of shoes, and changing several times a day as the walking surface changed, was the best gear decision I made that trip. YMMV.

Edit (in case anyone is reading this old thread): I have moved on from the Keen Arroyo II sandals. They just were not cushy enough for long, long distances. Instead I've gone to Altra Timps. Their tops are so breathable that my toes are coated in dust just like with the sandals. But with better cushioning. I still carry the two pairs of shoes on Caminos, but I need to check our the new Altra Olympus (the old one constricted my little toe, but I think the new one might work). Ultreia (ever onward) with shoes as well as everything else.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Last edited:
So many options these days! Two years ago I walked in Topo trail runners. Not a single blister and the plantar fasciitis I started with disappeared by week two. But as you might guess from my avatar pic, which was taken at Leon, they were completly worn out at the end of the Camino Frances. Next time I'll be walking in Altra trail runners. Similar zero drop, quick drying, hobbit style shoe with the narrow heel and wide toe box that suits my feet. All the very best in finding the shoe that's right for your feet.

Treksta - I wear second pair of the same model and I hope that it will be produced for many years
BP0511_GearReview_MothersDay_Treksta_EvoMidGTX_445x260.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Virtually all footwear will allow water in if the rain is heavy. Most breathe enough to keep your feet comfortable. I would suggest going for footwear that is comfortable over light in weight. Every ounce, however, is an ounce that you will lift about thirty thousand times each day! Generally, you want footwear that gives your foot and ankle support, and is durable enough for 450 miles. I have worn a variety, and all have been satisfactory (MBT rocker bottom, Columbia, Vasque, New Balance, etc.). Any water logged footwear will take a while to dry; mesh may dry a bit faster, but it will depend on the actual fabric. I have seen a lot of Germans with hair dryers (which are borrowed by all nationalities; and I have seen the building circuit breaker popped by too many hair dryers drying boots).

Too large may give you blisters, and too small is likely to give you blisters AND blacken your toenails on some of the downhills. Put on the sock combination you will be using when fitting; avoid simply buying larger or smaller on someone else's advice. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I've just bought a pair of Altra Olympus trail runners. Like the Altra Lone Peak model but with greater cushioning and a Vibram sole. I'm still wearing them around the house to see if they fit so I can't give any advice on their long-term fit but I must say, they are comfortable!

I tried on some Hoka's today. I see why people like them, but they felt like walking on death to me. Those shoes would break down within a 100 miles with my stride. I went with some Brooks Cascadia 11 trailer runners. The Brooks shoes have some bad reviews online from runners, but the hikers who reviewed it seemed to like the shoe. I bought them because they feel like shoes should feel--to me. I plan to do a couple of 10 mile walks in them before I begin the Camino in June. I'll update this thread when and if I finish my hike in July.

Thanks everyone.

I tried on some Hoka's today. I see why people like them, but they felt like walking on death to me. Those shoes would break down within a 100 miles with my stride. I went with some Brooks Cascadia 11 trailer runners. The Brooks shoes have some bad reviews online from runners, but the hikers who reviewed it seemed to like the shoe. I bought them because they feel like shoes should feel--to me. I plan to do a couple of 10 mile walks in them before I begin the Camino in June. I'll update this thread when and if I finish my hike in July.

Thanks everyone.

I love that shoe. I use it at home, mostly for exercise walking. But my last camino, on the Norte, I took sandals. About a quarter of the way through, I had a major shoe failure. I duct-taped those puppies, kept walking, and started googling/calling all around in upcoming towns (or towns reachable by bus) to try to replace my sandals, but to my great frustration, I couldn't find women's suitable-for-backpacking sandals anywhere. Men's, yes. But women's? No, I don't want the "pretty" sandals, thanks.

Anyway, I did easily find some Brookes Cascadia, and they turned out to be brilliant Camino shoes. They do potentially wear out quicker than some, but - moral of the story - they are replaceable in Spain if necessary.

Do replace the insole though. I love Orthoheel, others swear by SuperFeet. Straight-up Dr Scholls Gel Sports insoles work well for many and are replaceable in Spain as well. (That's what I put in my Camino Brookes)

Good luck - I hope they work for you!

@LesBrass Thanks for your thoughtful response. I have been using the Altra Lone Peak 3's for my 9km training walks for a couple of months now and (so far) have not experienced anything like the foot pain you describe. They are the first zero drop shoes I have ever tried and certainly a very different ride to my other hiking shoes. I have noticed that the soles of my feet get some hot spots with the Altra's (I walk quite quickly and mostly on paved surfaces) so I might try a thin gel liner under the regular inners. Otherwise I am very happy with them. I will be on the lookout for any issues such as the one you describe when I move up to 25 to 30km days on The Way. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
I think you had it right in your first post and answered your own question . I have walked several Caminos and tried North Face, Solomon and other boots and had problems with my feet . Three years ago I started wearing Moab ventilators and have not had a single blister. I wear size 10 1/2 and the shoes fit true to size . The key for me is I buy 10 1/2 wide so when my feet get hot and swell I don't get Blisters. I also do not buy the ones with Gore-Tex since they snug up around your feet too tight and don't give you room when your feet get hot and swell. Gore-Tex won't keep your feet dry anyway when it rains all day . I have four new pair of Moab ventilators in my closet and I will wear them again when I start my next Camino in March . I usually walk about 1650 km on Camino in one pair of shoes seem to last me for the entire three months. So in conclusion moab ventilators, wide, no Gore-Tex and you should be good for the Camino, that's my two cents I hope it helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most of the shoes recommended in this thread are breathable but not waterproof. I've always assumed that one would want shoes that will not get soaked through in a rainstorm--i.e., with Gore Tex liners. Can you experienced walkers comment on this?

I'm trying out a new shoe right now, the Merrell All Out Aero Blaze Sport. They are really lightweight, and the upper is mostly a mesh material. I haven't done any long walks in them yet, but so far they are comfortable for my particular feet. I'll be walking again in the summer, so lightweight and breathable will be key.

Breathable and light can only mean Hoka One One in my book. And super cushiony.
I love the Hoka One One, but I would be concerned about the high risk of spraining an ankle in these on the substantial amount of walking on stone and while carrying a backpack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check out Haglofs they have lots of different hiking shoes. I've walked the Frances twice in a model like Observe II GT and they are not worn at all so I'm using them again on the Primitvo this summer
Since it's Goretex they don't get wet inside and I never had any problems with blisters.

I walked with the same shoes last year,
no blisters. And they still look new.
Love them.

I think you had it right in your first post and answered your own question . I have walked several Caminos and tried North Face, Solomon and other boots and had problems with my feet . Three years ago I started wearing Moab ventilators and have not had a single blister. I wear size 10 1/2 and the shoes fit true to size . The key for me is I buy 10 1/2 wide so when my feet get hot and swell I don't get Blisters. I also do not buy the ones with Gore-Tex since they snug up around your feet too tight and don't give you room when your feet get hot and swell. Gore-Tex won't keep your feet dry anyway when it rains all day . I have four new pair of Moab ventilators in my closet and I will wear them again when I start my next Camino in March . I usually walk about 1650 km on Camino in one pair of shoes seem to last me for the entire three months. So in conclusion moab ventilators, wide, no Gore-Tex and you should be good for the Camino, that's my two cents I hope it helps.
I also walked SJPP to SdC last year. They worked great. I had one blister before I built up a callus (probably due to my rigid orthotic rather than my shoe). In the final days and for weeks after I had some nerve pain on the outside of both feet. I am excited to heAR the come in wide. I would use them again.

Most of the shoes recommended in this thread are breathable but not waterproof. I've always assumed that one would want shoes that will not get soaked through in a rainstorm--i.e., with Gore Tex liners. Can you experienced walkers comment on this?
Hi. I walked the Frances from SJPP to SDC last spring from March 28 to May 12. It rained almost the entire first month, at at least some time during the day. Frequently the sendas (paths) were flooded or muddy. I wore non-waterproof Moab Ventilators the whole way. Only one blister for a couple of days (not fault of the shoe). I used to be an ultramarathon runner and I found running with wet feet did not cause me blisters. I would get Blisters when it was hot, dry, with dirt the consistency of baby powder. My ventilators dried easily overnight. Buen camino!

€149,-

A shoe getting wet - and by extension, feet getting wet - is not a problem.

The problem is shoes (and feet) staying wet.

Waterproof boots, particularly goretex, take a long time to dry when they get wet inside. And they will get wet inside. One, a heavy, persistent rain will find its way in at some point. Two, feet sweat. And "breathability" only goes so far. A humid environment inside a boot, particularly a "waterproof" one, is asking for blisters.

I generally don't believe boots, WP or not, are necessary or advisable for 3-season hiking or backpacking, Camino or wilderness.

Now waterproof shoes are a different matter, in my experience. Because they are so low profile, breathability and fast-drying are enhanced.

I was skeptical the first time I tried my now-beloved Ahnu Montara WP's. But I actually appreciate that they repel wet grass/dew, light rain, and low puddles. Of course they still get wet inside in deeper water and heavy rain.

But they drain and dry quickly. That's what matters.

With low profile shoes - hiking shoes or trail runners - waterproof can be a nice feature, but is not required by any means.

When I encounter stream crossings, for example, I rarely bother changing into water shoes - whether I'm wearing my Ahnu WP's or my Brookes trail runners. I just splash right through. My shoes are wet for a bit, and I walk them dry. I never get blisters.

I love the Hoka One One, but I would be concerned about the high risk of spraining an ankle in these on the substantial amount of walking on stone and while carrying a backpack.

Ankle protection by boots is, largely, a myth. I had more ankle twists when I used to wear boots years ago, than I ever have in hiking shoes or trail runners. Your stability can be more effectively enhanced with the proper use of trekking poles.

The idea that one must hike in boots, especially when carrying a pack is a holdover from old-school wilderness backpacking.

Wilderness backpacking has moved on. Time for the camino to catch up. Lightweight, low profile hiking shoes and trail runners are more and more the norm for 3-season hiking.

(I offer this primarily for those new or new-ish to hiking and backpacking. If you already have experience with boots and love them, or your doctor prescribed them, no problem. You do you!:))

I've had good luck with the Sportiva Bushido in summer weather. Go up a half size in these, though. Scarpas in winter weather. The Scarpas are pricey but my last pair walked over 1000 miles.
The Scarpas is the best i have it 15 years!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Certainly between May and September, rain is relatively infrequent and short-lived - more often than not, a change of socks and foot warmth will get them dry

What you don't want is your own GoreTex created foot sauna when the temperature can top 30C for lots of the day

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I both wore Scarpa Rapid LTs on Norte in April \ May last year. Liked very much and will wear next Camino as well. Surprisingly rain resistant, well ventilated and quick to dry after a soaker.

You do not like my caps, but I need to see. Not the best searching and understanding on blog sites. Thanks for your patience - a wonderful quality for we mortals.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A shoe getting wet - and by extension, feet getting wet - is not a problem.

The problem is shoes (and feet) staying wet.

Waterproof boots, particularly goretex, take a long time to dry when they get wet inside. And they will get wet inside. One, a heavy, persistent rain will find its way in at some point. Two, feet sweat. And "breathability" only goes so far. A humid environment inside a boot, particularly a "waterproof" one, is asking for blisters.

I generally don't believe boots, WP or not, are necessary or advisable for 3-season hiking or backpacking, Camino or wilderness.

Now waterproof shoes are a different matter, in my experience. Because they are so low profile, breathability and fast-drying are enhanced.

I was skeptical the first time I tried my now-beloved Ahnu Montara WP's. But I actually appreciate that they repel wet grass/dew, light rain, and low puddles. Of course they still get wet inside in deeper water and heavy rain.

But they drain and dry quickly. That's what matters.

With low profile shoes - hiking shoes or trail runners - waterproof can be a nice feature, but is not required by any means.

When I encounter stream crossings, for example, I rarely bother changing into water shoes - whether I'm wearing my Ahnu WP's or my Brookes trail runners. I just splash right through. My shoes are wet for a bit, and I walk them dry. I never get blisters.
Put an old newspaper in your wet shoes, it will dry fast!

Put an old newspaper in your wet shoes, it will dry fast!

Thank you. I have no problem with my SAS sandals, for I can walk long distances in them wet or dry, which is why I love them so much. I wash them after each hike, use them when it rains, and my instincts tell me they will serve me well. My concern is not knowing the terrain type I shall encounter. I decided to start on the Spanish side of the Camino Frances, and thus hope the land is more or less even. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
MY CONCERN IS NOT KNOWING THE TERRAIN TYPE I SHALL ENCOUNTER. I DECIDED TO START ON THE SPANISH SIDE OF THE CAMINO FRANCES, AND THUS HOPE THE LAND IS MORE OR LESS EVEN.

The terrain is varied in both France and Spain. In fact, the walking surface between St Jean and Roncesvalles is much smoother than some of what you will encounter in Spain, such as this portion of the trail:
rocky trail.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love hiking in my Altra Lone Peak trail runners. They are used by a lot of AT, PCT thru-hikers who walk 2000+ miles over all kinds of terrain and also used by road runners. They dry fast and with a thin wool running sock no rubbing problems. Walking with wet socks and feet for the day has never been a problem, just make sure they get nice and dry at night :)

Water proof shoes don't breath = more foot moisture = more chance of blisters !!

I loved my Keen Targhee II mid boots. Although I just got my 3rd pair and they're not so great. But waterproof, breathable, solid on crazy terrain... just so dependable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love my La Sportiva Bushido trail runners and my La Sportiva Synthesis hiking shoes. I'd probably go for the Synthesis if I were going on the Camino today - wish I had discovered them before my Camino last year. Mostly beacause I love that they don't have the traditional laces which the Bushido has. That is of course just my preference. I walked in Salomon Wings Pro on my Camino and I had to tape my foot every single day because of poor fit and got 3 painfult blisters.
The Synthesis are a great all around shoes, I've done some challenging "technical" trail hikes in Peru and Iceland in them but I've also tried running in them on the road and they worked fine. I'm an overpronator and need shoes with good support. I think it's very important even if you're not running to have support shoes if you need them.

Doesn't get more breathable than Teva sandals. I hike in mine all the time. It's not for everyone, but I grew up on the beach, and always felt shoes were "prisons" for my feet. Lol. Tevas have solid bottoms with treads and are super comfortable. I never get blisters. I can walk thru streams and never have to worry bout wet socks. Love em.

If it gets too cold for sandals, I throw on a pair of Minimal trail runners. My favorite are the Merrell bare access 4. Light, comfy & breathable.

Bien Camino!

@JMac56 - I walked the VdlP last year wearing the Lone Peak and they stood up very well to the 1000km. I loved the wide foot shape and I loved the light feel to the shoe but I suffered with foot pain from day two. I suffered with pain along the top of my foot and I continue to have a problem with this pain months later... I can't walk barefoot now even at home. The pain was always worse when I took the shoe off at the end of the day.

My pain is sporadic and the consensus at the moment is that it is a damaged nerve between my toes and was most likely caused by the zero-drop shoe.

I did write to Altra and they have been very helpful... and I really love the shape of this shoe... but I have to avoid the zero-drop now... it seems they are just not right for me.

I'm a little reluctant to say bad things about the shoe because they are great... they really hold the ground well and sooo light. But, follow the transition guidance on the Altra website and if you start to suffer foot pain when walking or when you take the shoes off then go carefully.
I've been reading about these "zero drop" shoes but will stay well away because as a person with plantear fasciitis and a heel spur I should always be walking with a small heel and/or a good arch (Birkies) if not my orthotics. I find the concept of zero-drop a bit strange because of that.

€46,-
I got the recent Merrel Moab 2 waterproof which are light and doing great for me so far
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BJIDWC/?tag=casaivar02-20
I wore Merrell Moab waterproofs on my 2013 Camino (Francés) and my 2015 Camino del Norte de Chimayó (USA), including several hundred miles of pre-Camino training hikes and another several hundred miles of post-Camino hiking. I probably had 1200-1500 miles on them when I retired them last fall for another pair just like them when we made the decision to walk the Camino Portugués in May of this year. I have close to 200 miles worth of training hikes on the new ones, which fit like a glove on my long, narrow foot. Obviously, I like the Merrells, but do not recommend them simply on the basis of how they have performed for me. Everyone should work with a footwear professional to determine the best hiking shoe or boot type, brand, and fit for their own feet, including at least a couple of real hikes of several miles or more. Just walking around a store in a pair of boots isn't sufficient to ensure a good fit. Remember, one's footwear is THE most important gear you'll acquire for his or her Camino.

Been using Brooks Cascadia over the last month and will test them from SJPDD to Santiago on Sept 9th. Seem very well built and super breathable. Light weight and a rock plate were my targets in trail shoes. Also taking low cut Lowa for late October wet days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm looking of the best breathable, light, quick-drying hiking shoe on the market. Merril makes a shoe called the Ventilator that is close to what I'm looking for, but I want to buy something that's made better and more durable. Edit: Male here.
I suggest you go through with the Indestructible shoe as it has a variety of shoes. I am also using shoe of it for the last 2 years. The shoes are quite light, comfortable and have a decent look.
Safety shoes

Last edited:
There is a reason the Merrill brand is so popular on Camino and for hiking in general, altho obviously they do not suit everyone.
Styles for men and women.
A large range of sizes.
1/2 sizes available.
Different widths available.
Gortex waterproofing available.
Vibram soles.

When an ignorant newby, this alone led me to the understanding that many knowledgeable hikers used them - considering them to be appropriate footwear.

While now, for many reasons, they are not my go-to brand, the consideration of all the variables constituted an important part of my learning curve.
Regards
Gerard

Been using Brooks Cascadia over the last month and will test them from SJPDD to Santiago on Sept 9th. Seem very well built and super breathable. Light weight and a rock plate were my targets in trail shoes. Also taking low cut Lowa for wet days.

Here there are after walking the CF from 9-8 to 10-24.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.