• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Camino App Apple Or Android

novice2017

Time of past OR future Camino
This will be my first Camino from Valenca PT to Santiago. I will begin my trek in Valenca on 130517. Coming in on train from Madrid.
Hi,

I will be making my first Camino in roughly 1 month (departing USA 100517, actually arrive in Valença PT 120517, Camino to begin on 130517). I will be going solo, so, I would like to know from those who use such apps regularly what in your opinion is the best app to use on the Camino Portuguese? I will have both my Iphone and an Android tablet with me. I am hoping to stay, or get, in contact with fellow pilgrims since as I understand it everyone kind of moves at their own pace from town to town and then gather together in the evenings? I will be staying in Hotels or pensions rather than albergues (and those who would have had the misfortune of staying with me had I chose to stay in albergues should be thankful as my snoring is legendary)

Any and all help suggestions on the above or any topics related to the Portuguese Way (places to stay, eat, see)
are truly appreciated.

Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'd like to know myself. My interest lays more in an albergue and hostels list to use along the each of the Camimos or Ways. A basic lodging list similar to the one given out at the pilgrims office in SJpP. It would be easier to pack and use when walking. That would be a blessing. Simple information in a nice and easily understood with only the basic details listed. I'd love it.

I didn't use an App when I did the CF but have since downloaded the Wise Pilgrim App, I have found this quite comprehensive, it also includes accommodation information.

If you start in SJPDP then the pilgrims office will give you and up to date list of Albergues alone the route, I think this also includes private as well. There is also a comprehensive list of Albergues in the resources section of the forum.

Hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I didn't use an App when I did the CF but have since downloaded the Wise Pilgrim App, I have found this quite comprehensive, it also includes accommodation information.

If you start in SJPDP then the pilgrims office will give you and up to date list of Albergues alone the route, I think this also includes private as well. There is also a comprehensive list of Albergues in the resources section of the forum.

Hope this helps.

I walked the CP with a young couple that booked their room each night using the hotels.com app with great success.

My interest lays more in an albergue and hostels list to use along the each of the Camimos or Ways. A basic lodging list similar to the one given out at the pilgrims office in SJpP.

Such a list does exist, thanks to Christian. Look under the "Camino Resources" tab at the top of the page....

I happen to get started with an iPhone, so I am pro-Apple. However, over the years and several "smart-Caminos," I have learned that many of the better information, travel or Camino-specific apps are available for BOTH Android and iOS platforms. Check out the developers web site for an app to find this out, or go to both the Apple app store and the Android Store to sort it out.

Also, there are several threads in the Forum addressing the "BEST" smart phone apps for the Camino. Use the search function at the top right of this page to locate them.

I hope this helps.

I happen to get started with an iPhone, so I am pro-Apple. However, over the years and several "smart-Caminos," I have learned that many of the better information, travel or Camino-specific apps are available for BOTH Android and iOS platforms. Check out the developers web site for an app to find this out, or go to both the Apple app store and the Android Store to sort it out.

Also, there are several threads in the Forum addressing the "BEST" smart phone apps for the Camino. Use the search function at the top right of this page to locate them.

I hope this helps.
Will do, thanks

Di nada. It is what we do...

BTW, DO get the Wise Pilgrim Guides if they are available for your device. They are perhaps the single best smart-phone apps out there, at least IMHO. I also happen to know the developer, who lives in Santiago. They are excellent value for money spent.

I am using the Wise Pilgrim apps, they are cheap. But they are really out of date, don't include all accommodation or cafe information and in some cases the distances are inaccurate. This relates to the Camino Portuguese and Finisterre versions. This is live from the Camino as of May 2nd, 2017.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back