• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Camino App for Camino Francés

barryg

Time of past OR future Camino
June: Camino Frances from Pamplona
Hello! I couldn’t find a category that seemed to fit this topic, so I am posting to this forum. Sorry if it’s the wrong forum.

The last time I walked the CF, I had an app that guided me wonderfully along the Camino. It showed my position on the map of the CF and once saved me from making a long and wrong-directoned detour. I simply walked down a suspicious branch and after a few minutes I saw that the dot that represented me was going in the wrong direction. Can anyone recognize this app from my description or do you have a favorite app you can recommend?

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That description fits most of the camino apps that I have tried recently. I would suspect that what you have described won't be any way of helping others work this out.

I have tried several apps. Are they best? I don't know. Both Camino Ninja and Wise Pilgrim worked, but I didn't rely on them. I prefer to use OSMAnd+ for navigation.

P.S. Perhaps you should consult your Apple/Android app list to see what apps you have previously used to determine what app this might have been.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use both Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps.

I’m downloading OSMAnd+. Thanks for the suggestion Dougfitz. Thanks to Trecile for jogging my memory RE Wise Pilgrim.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino and the Wise Pilgrim family of apps (they have a different one for each route) are the most popular. When I walked the Frances in 2016, I liked the Camino Pilgrim app. Gronze.com is coming out with its own app, which looks like it will be a useful source of information. Spain's National Geographic Institute (IGN) also has a Camino de Santiago app.

Buen Camino and the Wise Pilgrim family of apps (they have a different one for each route) are the most popular.
Looking at the Google App Store statistics, Buen Camino gets first place listing on downloads, followed by Camino Pilgrim - Frances from Aurea Moemke. Both have over 100k downloads. The Way of Saint James Camino Tool from Dinameida Soluciones Tecnicas has over 50k downloads. It's difficult to assess where Wise Pilgrim apps sit, because the App Store lists them separately by the different routes, but I don't think the fact they appear to be well liked here on the forum is going to get them over the line as 'most popular' right at the moment. I don't have an Apple device, so I don't know how they rank in the App Store.

Looking at the Google App Store statistics, Buen Camino gets first place listing on downloads, followed by Camino Pilgrim - Frances from Aurea Moemke. Both have over 100k downloads. The Way of Saint James Camino Tool from Dinameida Soluciones Tecnicas has over 50k downloads. It's difficult to assess where Wise Pilgrim apps sit, because the App Store lists them separately by the different routes, but I don't think the fact they appear to be well liked here on the forum is going to get them over the line as 'most popular' right at the moment. I don't have an Apple device, so I don't know how they rank in the App Store.
On top of this the Wise Pilgrim apps did not have a free version for 10 years, which severely reduces the number of downloads. Downloads do not equal popularity, or quality.

Just find the one that is easier to use, or which gives you the information you are looking for.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have down loaded several Camino apps!
For navigating the path OSMAND+ is my favorite as it has voice navigation to inform me of distance to next change of direction, announces favorites i have added , where i am staying,supermarkets,cafes/bars etc along the path. The track itself can be modified,change colour, width, add direction arrows.
But I use Wisepilgrim for all other info.
A very easy logical layout to follow with lots of info! (my assistive tech copes best with this app with voice)
Woody

Back in 2018 I used an app for the CF called FarOut. Worked "incredibly well" off-line.
Cost is $13.99 but you can demo it before buying.

Hello! I couldn’t find a category that seemed to fit this topic, so I am posting to this forum. Sorry if it’s the wrong forum.

The last time I walked the CF, I had an app that guided me wonderfully along the Camino. It showed my position on the map of the CF and once saved me from making a long and wrong-directoned detour. I simply walked down a suspicious branch and after a few minutes I saw that the dot that represented me was going in the wrong direction. Can anyone recognize this app from my description or do you have a favorite app you can recommend?

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
I used Guthook last time. It’s now called Far Out. It works as you described on airplane mode. Good luck!

Barry
Your app sounds like the Trail Smart App. In 2019 I used the Trail Smart app while walking CF. I loved it! It gave me consistent info of direction, distance in reaching each town, info concerning resources & historical details when available. I was even able to take notes & journal within the app.

I’m planning to use it again for my CP trip in a few months.
Buen Camino
👣🎒💕

Hello! First time posting a question! And first time walking (Norte and Primitivo). I was able to download Wise Pilgrim, but can't find the Buen Camino [UPDATE: ok, found this, it came up as "Way of St James (Buen Camino)] or Osmand+ - are these available for iPhone?

I mostly just want to make sure I stay on the path and can find may way through cities.

On Wise Pilgrim there were blue dot paths and in some places red dot paths but I can't find where it describes the difference, but assume they are alternative ways? Appreciate any guidance as I'm pretty much a novice at this.

Last edited:
Buen Camino is very good, there are lots of free routes on it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trekright is an app that has provided this feature with an excellent progress graphic that I can even read without reading glasses - 🤓 it was great to use on the Frances and they also have other caminos on it. I believe it is a community app created by a couple of long distance hikers. Also search trekopedia

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
Sounds like the Buen Camino app. It’s been a favorite of mine and I’ve had the same experience with realising I was was headed the wrong way by watching “my dot”. I also like that it interfaces with Booking.com. Makes it really easy when you wish to reserve a room online. My Spanish is poor and phoning in a reservation would be very difficult. Hope this helps. Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
but can't find ... Osmand+
OSMAnd+ is an Android app. You will need to look an iOS app that uses Open Street Maps. I don't know if there is an equivalent to OSMAnd+ on the iOS platform.

Edit: @woody66 has identified where to find the iOS version of OSMAnd (see below for details). Thanks @woody66 for that.

Last edited:
Hello! First time posting a question! And first time walking (Norte and Primitivo). I was able to download Wise Pilgrim, but can't find the Buen Camino [UPDATE: ok, found this, it came up as "Way of St James (Buen Camino)] or Osmand+ - are these available for iPhone?
Found this link dated 6 days ago
I presume it's available in the US!

CompatibilityiPhoneRequires iOS 12.0 or later.
Woody

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
Hi Barry... how did you go finding the best app? I am in Australia and looking up apps myself. There are lots in the app store. Im coming in July and will walk a route a week out from Santiago.

For navigation SJPdP-SdC May-June 2022, I used Wise Pilgrim. It has a newer feature that was very convenient; whatsapp links for lodging. With this feature, I was able to scroll through reviews of albergues up ahead, pick one I liked and click to connect via WhatsApp to text or call for availability. I understand you can write your WhatsApp message in English and there’s a translation feature (I didn’t use this feature).
For the most timely open/closed/cost info, I used gronze when I had wifi.
Wise pilgrim navigation helped when I took some wrong turns and when I was looking for alternate routes. The Frances version has a good number of timely comments from users giving their opinions on lodging, food, path conditions. The portugues version does not have many comments/reviews of locales.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the most timely open/closed/cost info, I used gronze when I had wifi.
FWIF, the most recent update to the Wise Pilgrim apps are much more savvy to open/close times. Previously I had relied on some legacy data storage method from the website but last month converted everything into data that is much more meaningful. The app now gives a warning around opening/closing/holiday times and by next winter should be able to filter out closed albergues for the benefit of winter walkers.

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
I used Buen Camino for the first time recently and found it useful. I suspect I wasn’t using all its potential but it had the blue dot for showing when we went off track.

Thanks for any help.

Warmly,

Barry
The best I've found isnt an app at all. People who walk the Camino will often save the Google map track of their route. You can find these by googling "Camino google maps." They aren't for beginners as they don't give written information on the route. But they're more useful than any app I've seen in that they show the route on a google maps with all the functionality of a google maps (zoom, show your own location, show towns along the way, add your own waypoints, etc ).

Note that, if you choose to use one of these, to get full functionality, you need to make a copy (poke around in the menu).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We used Wise Pilgrim for our Frances and then out to Fisterra and Muxia. We are using it now to help us plan our second Frances this spring. I love that you can select a town as an origination point and then see how far you’d have to walk to make it to the different towns that are ahead of you.

It also reassured us to be able to see where we were last year when we took some of the alternative routes and wondered if we were on the correct trail.

We will be using it again this Spring.

For just the keeping on the path (or being able to better decide when to take the “green route” alternative or not, I loved the FarOut app in 2020.

It not only has all of the route, elevation and distance remaining to your target for the day, but also had handy tips left by others for actually saying how to make a tricky turn or tips on where to stay, etc.

Buen Camino!

Are Wise Pilgrim's "Wisely" map apps the same maps found in the Wise Pilgrim app? I see the maps in both are 200mb so I'm wondering if they're the same?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Are Wise Pilgrim's "Wisely" map apps the same maps found in the Wise Pilgrim app? I see the maps in both are 200mb so I'm wondering if they're the same?
The "Wisely" series was a precursor to the maps that you find in today's full app. They are no longer available as they have been replaced by a more feature rich app.

Thank you, good to know! I'm enjoying looking through the app and look forward to using it this summer!

Thank you, good to know! I'm enjoying looking through the app and look forward to using it this summer!
I just updated the app to a version which allows me to push updates to the phone much more easily. With the number of pilgrims leaving comments in the early weeks of the season it should get an update weekly. And then again in the late autumn as the season slows and places close again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.