• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Camino Books non-guide, in English

Best Camino Books (non-guide, in English) Page 1 of 3; Select three from each page

• Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino – Joyce Rupp

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Roads to Santiago – Cees Nooteboom

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago – Susan Alcorn

• Pilgrim Stories: On and Off the Road to Santiago - Nancy Louise Frey

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • El Camino: Walking to Santiago De Compostela -Lee Hoinacki

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook - David M. Gitlitz & Linda Kay David

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • El Camino De Santiago: Rites of Passage – Wayne Chimenti

• Spanish Steps: Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago - Tim Moore

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • The Cockleshell Pilgrim – Katherine Lack

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Pilgrimage to Heresy – Tracy Saunders

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rambler

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2008 Camino Frances with Daughter, 2014 Camino Frances with Son
Here is the first of the polls that I promised. Please select your favorite three from each page and I will consolidate them in a month to select the best of the best.

Thanks.
Rambler

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
1. Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino – Joyce Rupp http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Relaxed-Mann ... 913&sr=8-1

2. Roads to Santiago – Cees Nooteboom
http://www.amazon.com/Roads-Santiago-Ce ... 724&sr=1-1

3. Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago – Susan Alcorn
http://www.amazon.com/Camino-Chronicle- ... 341&sr=8-1

4. Pilgrim Stories: On and Off the Road to Santiago, Journeys Along an Ancient Way in Modern Spain - Nancy Louise Frey (Anthropologist's thesis on pilgrims) http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrim-Stories-S ... _5_rsrsrs0

5. El Camino: Walking to Santiago De Compostela -Lee Hoinacki http://www.amazon.com/El-Camino-Compost ... _4_rsrsrs0

6. The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook - David M. Gitlitz & Linda Kay Davidson
http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrimage-Road-S ... 651&sr=8-3

7. El Camino De Santiago: Rites of Passage – Wayne Chimenti http://www.amazon.com/El-Camino-Santiag ... 651&sr=8-1

8. Spanish Steps: Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago - Tim Moore
http://www.amazon.com/Travels-My-Donkey ... 831&sr=1-1

9. The Cockleshell Pilgrim – Katherine Lack
http://www.amazon.com/Cockleshell-Pilgr ... 903&sr=1-1

10. Pilgrimage to Heresy – Tracy Saunders
http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrimage-Heresy ... 441&sr=1-1

1. Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino – Joyce Rupp http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Relaxed-Mann ... 913&sr=8-1

From the list provided, this one has my vote. (I have yet to read the others!)

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If I had to walk the Camino with Joyce Rupp I'd slit my wrists...talk about angst...

Jacobus said:
If I had to walk the Camino with Joyce Rupp I'd slit my wrists...talk about angst...
Jacobus You are right.Joyce was a little overboard about cleanliness and a few other things. But overall the book is excellent. One of the best I have read about the camino. I would recommend it to anyone planning on walking the camino....except of course obsessive compulsive types. :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had the opportunity to talk with Joyce in Feb. in Los Angeles as well as listen to two of her talks. She is a person who is quite willing to express the things with which she struggles in order to grow as a person. We all have them, most of us aren't willing to talk about them out loud to the world. The Camino certainly gives us the opportunity to confront those things and she graciously shared them for all of us to examine. To me, it's not the specific issues, but rather the reality of coming to peace with who we are that her writing offers. No doubt, one look at her and you will see that she is a perfectionist. Her appearance and demeanor redily illustrate this. By the way, she sounds like she has the Camino bug again or still. Maybe she will give us another offering. Ultreya, John

Walking in Relaxed Manner was excellent. I really enjoyed it. Gitlitz' book, The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago is also good for those seeking secular knowledge about stops along the way.

A book I just finished was Sacred Travels, by Christian George. Though only a student in Divinity School and a Baptist by affiliation, his book is excellent. I was somewhat concerned that this might not have the depth I was seeking, but I found it very uplifting. It is filled with pearls of wisdom. If one is walking the Camino for spiritual reasons and one is open to a Protestants view of the value of pilgrimage, this is a book worth reading.

Another book I recently finished was Pilgrimage, an Image of Mediaveal Religion, by Jonathan Sumption. This is an academic exploration that explains how important pilgrimage was to the Church and all her people. It was a pervasive practice and all sought pilgrimage to view relics. This is in-depth, erudite, and enlightening book is worth having in your personal library. I first read it after finding in the county library, but enjoyed it so much I bought it.

Michael B...this last book you mention might be an excellent resource for me as I am researching my next book to be called simply "Compostela".
Does your book mention the influence of the Order of Cluny and the Cistercians on the development of the Routes to Santiago? And in particular does it talk at all about Diego Gelmirez and the cult of relics, particularly those he stole from Braga....and were not returned until 1960 something.
Whataguy!

Tracy Saunders, Pilgrimage to Heresy
www,pilgrimagetoheresy.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Priscillian, the second chapter is entitled "The Cult of Relics", but it addresses the topic from a church wide position. The book does discuss the Compostela, but it is only one of many, many pilgrimages discussed. It does mention Cluny throughout the book, but I don't recall a mention of Gelmirez.

I would think this book would be one that you will find required reading. The Bibliography alone is worth the cost of the book. I found a range of prices from $10 to $120; the $10 copy I picked up was in perfect shape, but did show some wear on the paper cover.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts should you read it. Cheers.

Mike

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I just finished another Pilgrim book, "The Way of a Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way" by R. M. French. This is one of the classics of Orthodox spirituality on the origin and practice of the Jesus Prayer and pilgrimage. For those with a focus on spirituality, you will find this worthwhile.

My favorite Camino book: "To the Field Of Stars: A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela" by Msgr. Kevin Codd, an American Catholic priest. I've read and reread it before, during and after walking the Camino. Brilliantly written it captures the essence of the Camino, the physical and the spiritual as the author takes you with him on the journey. You don't have to be a Catholic to relate to it, nor even particularly spiritual (but it might enhance your enjoyment of the book if you are at least somewhat so).

This post has been edited to add an exerpt included below from the book's introduction. The entire book lives up to the draw of this introduction.

“It may well come to pass that at a certain point in the course of a life that a person hears of stars dancing in a field at night. It is possible that such a story would be immediately dismissed as the stuff of childish fantasy or a piece of old wives’ tale not to be taken seriously in these modern times … It could also be that the image of stars coming low to the earth and performing a joyful circle dance in the dead of night might nevertheless capture a person’s imagination even if such an image might seem not to belong to the world of facts and history and our modern understanding of what transpires in the course of real life.

I am about to share here a story of stars at dance. May I advise you to exercise a modicum of caution in attending to what follows, for the story of stars dancing over a field in a faraway land may so draw you away from the ordinary business of daily life that you find yourself, quite to your surprise, in a new world of unexpected adventures and remarkable people and some very profound mysteries. If this should happen to you, if the story of stars playing above the dusty bones of an old saint should capture you in a strange field of gravity, it may well draw you out of your house, down the street, and out of town. And if you leave home to see these stars cavort for yourself it will surely change you. You will come to see that which was previously unseen. You will witness miracles. You will, in the end, find yourself coming to know what is most true about these brief lives we have been given to live out on this tender earth.

… if you have no interest in adventures of the spirit, or if you have no desire to ramble on foot across a fair piece of this earth’s lovely skin, then the story I am about to tell will not matter to you. If, on the other hand, the very thought of seeing stars dance piques your curiosity at some deep level of your soul, then pay attention to what follows, for the walk to the Field of Stars, to Santiago de Compostela, is a journey that has the power to change lives forever.”

Field of Stars
Msgr. Kevin Codd

There is a wonderful newly released book called Camino de Santiago: Fingerprints of God by Paul Moylan. http://www.paulmoylan.com

Paul’s writing style draws you in from the first few pages and doesn’t let you go. Through the entire story it felt like the two of us were walking the Camino side by side. I’m captured in personal conversation with Paul as he shares his intimate thoughts, feelings and the spiritual experience unfolding throughout his walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is the only non-guide I have read, published in 2011, and found very moving.

Buen Camino!: A Father-Daughter Journey from Croagh Patrick to Santiago De Compostela by Natasha Murtagh and Peter Murtagh

'My Dad and I walked 900 Kilometers across Northern Spain right to the coast. We started in Co. Mayo, by climbing Croagh Patrick, then carried on from the French Pyrenees and into Spain. We met amazing people along the way and saw some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen' Natasha Murtagh.

Buen Camino is currently the No.3 best selling Camino book on Amazon! Sept. 2 2011.
It captures the spirit of the pilgrimage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... ewpoints=1

The camino has something for everyone, and it seems the literature it inspires offers the same kind of variety. Depending on what you like and how deeply interested you are in particular topics, a good shop around will find you something satisfactory.

I loved Joyce Rupp´s book, and Kevin Codd´s... I gave my two sisters each a copy of Codd´s book, so they could better understand the appeal of the Camino walk.

For more detail than I ever knew I wanted on the villages, churches, retablos, and artwork found along the camino, I rely on Gitlitz and Davidson.

For a good laugh, I rely on the now somewhat dated "Off the Road," by Jack Hitt. It is the book that sent me on my first camino, and some of its wacky stories are played out in "The Way," a movie now in limited release.

Perhaps my favorite of all, the one I keep going back to, is Cees Nooteboom´s lyrical and scholarly "Roads to Santiago." It is not so much about the camino as about the vast character of Spain itself, and how Santiago de Compostela came to be her spiritual capitol.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you want a well written and well illustrated book about the Camino written to give a real feel of the magical and the practical aspects of the Camino then try 'My Camino a personal pilgrimage' available from Amazon and direct from the author.

Spanish Steps: Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago - Tim Moore

I admit this is the only Camino book I've read. I'm currently re-reading it and thoroughly enjoying it again. :)

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back