• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Camino Books (nonguide books, in English)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cees Nooteboom "Roads to Santiago" is not really about the Camino - or at least only incidentally. It is really a great book about Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What a great Camino Reading list! I will use your suggestions for building the Recommended Reading List on my website. Might I ask you to consider my book? "Spiritual & Walking Guide: Leon to Santiago" includes daily scriptures and meditations appropriate for the day's topography, joys and struggles. It includes short stories from my own camino experiences and places to journal your own thoughts. Thanks, Stacey Wittig

I am now about half way through "WHAT THE PSYCHIC TOLD THE PILGRIM" by Jane Christmas.
It's the story of a woman in her fifties and her inner view's and encounters along the route. Very well written, she has a witty and keen use of the english language, I an a man in his sixties and find myself laughing out loud. This book has been bought for a movie.
That is one of my favorite book. Simply written and so easy to see oneself as part of the story and she is funny. Since I liked that book I got all the books that she wrote and read them all.

Thanks for this threat, I have taken note of several books I never hear of. I will have reading for a while...

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wonder if most posters are aware that many authors are regular members of the forum?

Many have posted in this thread...most with restraint of touting their own work.

I wonder if someone can post a good listing of our member authors and their books.
I am not sure if I could accurately do this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
... I wonder if someone can post a good listing of our member authors and their books.
I am not sure if I could accurately do this.

I thought that was one of the many reasons we have the resources sections where members can post what they have written? Either by uploading it directly or by linking to it? But you could always start and moderate a new thread 'List your own book here' requesting that members post their own book(s) in it and that others refrain from commenting in the thread. That way such a list could be build easily, fast and clear. Buen Camino, SY

the only book i ever read and the one that inspired me was Paulo Cohelo's The Pilgrimage. It got my excited and i soon after walked Camino Frances in 2004 followed by Camino Portugues in 2012. Both fantastic journeys. Thank you Paulo. I also watched The Way, a movie of the Pilgrimage but found it unbearable.

Ok, I tried reading Shirley MacLean's book. Put it down because I just couldn't get it. It seemed more about her "previous lives" and how she was visualizing those experiences, than about the Camino. Tried it a second time - same reaction. I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't pay for it!

I see from this thread that I have a whole list of Camino books to keep me going until I do the real thing!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I apologize if this one has already been listed; I did not see it. This is a very short read and cheap read for Kindle (.99). It is a detailed account of acquiring, testing, even weighing gear plus the journey using the gear. It is extremely well-written and entertaining as will as informative. It has a list for gear with the weight of each piece, everything, even a toothbrush. But if you're not interested in the gear, you'll still enjoy the story.

St. James' Way in a Tuxedo: On the road to a perfect packing list. An equipment guide. Making a pilgrimage with a 3-kg backpack: Safer, healthier, more comfortable Kindle Edition
by Philipp Winterberg (Author)

I have read over 13 personal accounts and spiritual books now on the Camino. I want to continue on but want to be a little more selective on what I choose to read. So I wanted to get everyone's top five books that they have read and then I will post a poll to let everyone vote on which ones are the most popular. these are the ones I have read so far:
-Walk in a Relaxed Manner: Life Lessons from the Camino
-Roads to Santiago
-My Father, My Daughter: Pilgrims on the Road to Santiago
-Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago
-The Journey: A Guide For The Modern Pilgrim
-Pilgrim Stories: On and Off the Road to Santiago, Journeys Along an Ancient Way in Modern Spain
-El Camino: Walking to Santiago De Compostela
-The Pilgrimage to Santiago (Lost and Found Series)
-The Pilgrim's Guide to Santiago De Compostela
-The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural Handbook
-El Camino De Santiago: Rites of Passage

What others are on your top five list?

Rambler
May I be so bold as to toot my own horn and recommend: "Camino: Laughter and Tears Along Spain's 500-mile Camino de Santiago"? Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ROXT7Y/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have read over 13 personal accounts and spiritual books now on the Camino. I want to continue on but want to be a little more selective on what I choose to read. So I wanted to get everyone's top five books that they have read and then I will post a poll to let everyone vote on which ones are the most popular. these are the ones I have read so far:
-Roads to Santiago
-Pilgrim Stories: On and Off the Road to Santiago, Journeys Along an Ancient Way in Modern Spain

Rambler
Hi Rambler, could you please post the authors names as well as the book.....just a wee observation on my part.....may make it easier for some of the Newbies in the group to find them etc. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would like to invite your kind attention to consider my book on Camino titled "The Pilgrims and the Strangers" self-published April 2017. It is my reminiscences on the pilgrim road to Santiago. It is available from amazon.

An eBay listing for: "The Road to Santiago Pilgrims of St James Signed 1st Edition 1957 Walter Starkie" has appeared.

-Roads to Santiago

Rambler
The Great Westward Walk: From the Front Door to the Front Door to the End of the Earth. Antxon González Gabarain “Bolitx” - available in English on Kind, written by contemporary Spanish man who really ‘got it.’

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Great Westward Walk: From the Front Door to the Front Door to the End of the Earth. Antxon González Gabarain “Bolitx” - available in English on Kind, written by contemporary Spanish man who really ‘got it.’
Camino Sunrise: Walking With My Shadows

-Roads to Santiago

Rambler
Just two;
Michener..special attention to Chap 13
Paulo Coelho - Pilgrimage

Thanks for all the contributions to this thread. Anyone interested in a comprehensive list of camino-related books can go to this newer thread. @David tallon has uploaded and maintains an excellent bibliograph in the resources section. If there's a good book that isn't listed (please check the bibliography first), post the name and author in that thread.

This thread will be closed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back