• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Best camino 'come back' (retort)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting distinction between tourist and pilgrim.
Perhaps if the question is asked, it is not really an alburgue but a hostel. The definitions I see online don't seem to be that specific.

In any case, pilgrim, tourist, Knight Errant, lost wandering soul, whatever ones self perception, I don't see it as entitlement to special consideration.

In medieval (pre-internet) times a benevolent but fully booked innkeeper might offer their stable to sleep with the horses. Along with all of the modern conveniences, today's traveler needs to accommodate today's business models.

IMHO,

-jgp

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with the general principle, but...
Actually, in France reserving is customary. There are little albergues, sometimes with only 6-8 beds. And the regulations are strictly enforced ("la loi c'est la loi"), so no people sleeping on the floor or in the attic. If you arrive without reservation, and the albergue is full, the hospi will have a difficult situation, start making calls to find you an accomodation, etc.

"Bienvenidos. Do you have a reservation?"

"Uh... No... I'm not a tourist. I'm a pilgrim."

Good luck trying that one at the moment in Santiago! The albergues are full, so as a pilgrim without reservation you might end up with a very traditional sleeping place - under the stars ;)

Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think we witnessed it both ways. In some places no reservations are allowed and the pilgrim must have a credential to stay. Other places it was made somewhat clear to us that Pilgrims were not very welcome.

A few days ago I arrived at a pension that was completely shut down. One shirtless guy came out from who knows where and started waving his arms at me as I walked closer. Then started yelling in Spanish "closed closed closed"...I yelled back in Spanish "for me you better open up then...I have a reservation". He laughed and said oh yeah. He explained that they don't open till the busy season next week but somehow they took my reservation. This happened to me 3 times. Had the entire place to myself...downside was no hot water...but I had an ocean view that night and slept to the sound of waves instead of snoring.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back