A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Best Camino for December

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugues - (2015)
Camino Frances - (2016)
Camino Finisterre Muxia (2017)
VDLP (2018)
Dear all,
I have recently postponed walking the camino del Norte due to the rise in Covid 19 in Spain. However I am considering of walking a short camino max 10 days in winter ..ideally December subject to improvement in the current pandemic.
Can anyone suggest a route for winter? I am considering the Ruta del Mar to Ferrol, the Invierno, the Ingles, the San Salvador and what else?I already hiked the camino Portugues from Lisbon, the Via de la Plata, The Mozarabe and the Camino Frances.
I will appreciate your suggestions.
Thank you,
Raymond Aquilina

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
I'd make a suggestion ;) :

Take the Camino you want, but finish the Camino in Santiago on December 30.

This year, on December 31 the opening ceremony of the holy year will take place (the last holy year was 2010). From what I've heard, that ceremony could be quite interesting.

I myself plan to start in Roncesvalles at the end of November, in order to arrive in Santiago on that date.

psheehan

Camino(s) past & future
CF, CPo, CdN, CPr, F, CS, CV, CI, VdlP, CS, CA

This year, on December 31 the opening ceremony of the holy year will take place (the last holy year was 2010). From what I've heard, that ceremony could be quite interesting.

I myself plan to start in Roncesvalles at the end of November, in order to arrive in Santiago on that date.
Great post Lirsy, I’m also planning on starting from SJPdP on December 1st and arriving in Santiago on December 30th for the holy year celebrations.

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
I’m also planning on starting from SJPdP on December 1st and arriving in Santiago on December 30th
I will give myself 3 or 4 more days with the idea of encountering bad weather. It is always easier to lose time than to gain it. 😂

After crossing O Cebreiro, I will start adjusting the days in order to arrive on 30.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - (2016)
VDLP (2018)
I will give myself 3 or 4 more days with the idea of encountering bad weather. It is always easier to lose time than to gain it. 😂

After crossing O Cebreiro, I will start adjusting the days in order to arrive on 30.
Mozárabe from Málaga to Córdoba, or Vía serrana from Gibraltar to Seville, gentle weather, green Andalucía
Mozárabe from Málaga to Córdoba, or Vía serrana from Gibraltar to Seville, gentle weather, green Andalucía
The via Serrana is a great idea to consider.
Thanks a lot for thr tip Lirsy.
Regards,
Ray

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
I would say that if you are walking a winter Camino you may be best off walking the CF because of the availability of albergues, especially if you, like myself, need to stay in public albergues as much as possible for economic reasons. I also like it alot too. I would again say WAIT to walk. I would tell you to watch Ivar's video and his advice not to walk now. I know December is still months away but no one knows what turn the virus will take and how severe the flu season will be in the coming months. Also based on this uncertainty what is the likelihood that there will be the full ceremony to welcome in the Holy Year. Can anyone say that they will not postpone or even cancel the ceremony given the circumstances? As I have stated before there are very large numbers of people who are asymptomatic and have the virus. How do you know you may not be one of them and infect a fellow pilgrim, or an old woman passing you on the street in a city or town, or someone with a compromised immune system. Wait to walk until there is a vaccine. We see over and over again and now happening in France, Spain, Korea and other places that had the virus under control that when you open things up and things can quickly turn for the worse.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances - (2016)
VDLP (2018)
I would say that if you are walking a winter Camino you may be best off walking the CF because of the availability of albergues, especially if you, like myself, need to stay in public albergues as much as possible for economic reasons. I also like it alot too. I would again say WAIT to walk. I would tell you to watch Ivar's video and his advice not to walk now. I know December is still months away but no one knows what turn the virus will take and how severe the flu season will be in the coming months. Also based on this uncertainty what is the likelihood that there will be the full ceremony to welcome in the Holy Year. Can anyone say that they will not postpone or even cancel the ceremony given the circumstances? As I have stated before there are very large numbers of people who are asymptomatic and have the virus. How do you know you may not be one of them and infect a fellow pilgrim, or an old woman passing you on the street in a city or town, or someone with a compromised immune system. Wait to walk until there is a vaccine. We see over and over again and now happening in France, Spain, Korea and other places that had the virus under control that when you open things up and things can quickly turn for the worse.
You are very correct..I am hoping for the best...ar least for a short camino...I walked the Frances and being a short one the ingles would be the right choice..however I have to monitor and decide accordingly.
Thanks a lot,
Ray

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(2012) Le Puy/CF (2015) Portugues (2017) Norte (2018) CF (2019) VDLP?
You are very correct..I am hoping for the best...ar least for a short camino...I walked the Frances and being a short one the ingles would be the right choice..however I have to monitor and decide accordingly.
Thanks a lot,
Ray
I know you will make a good decision. We all can’t wait to safely get out there. Buen Camino

valcamino.67

Camino(s) past & future
August 2016

The last Holy Year was 2016.....I walked the Camino Francis that year. On arrival in Santiago to the Cathedral I entered through the Holy Door.

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
The last Holy Year was 2016
Has to be some kind of mistake. Here you have the list of the Holy Years:

DEL SIGLO XX Y XXI
+6+5+6+11
+281909191519201926
+281937194319481954
+281965197119761982
+281993199920042010
+282021202720322038
+282049205520602066
+28207720832088

May be they open the door for other celebrations.

peregrina2000

Staff member
The last Holy Year was 2016....I walked the Camino Francis that year. On arrival at the Cathedral in Santiago I entered through the Holy Door.
Has to be some kind of mistake.
You are both right, it was a special Jubilee Year of Mercy.

Can anyone suggest a route for winter?
And with regard to the OP’s question, I would definitely take Amancio’s suggestion of either the Mozárabe from Málaga or The Via Serrana.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
M Announcements 5
Madeleine Jacobs Announcements 4
Luka Announcements 133
jirit Announcements 4
ivar Announcements 23

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 378 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock