• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Camino route for a first timer, Camino starting from Vigo, Sarria or Ferrol?

chrissan2023

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hello, I am planning to do the Camino pilgrimage this coming mid-April and I am wondering which way is the easier way for a first timer. Sice I do not have much time and I only have a week, I am thinking to start from Vigo, Ferrol or Sarria. Could you please tell me which among these have the easier route, more towns or hotel accomodations along the way, less steep elevations/roads. Thank you in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Climbing: the Costa (from Vigo) is the easiest, followed by the Ingles (from Ferrol). From Sarria to SdC has the most climbs of these three. But al of them are doable for most people.

All three of them have enough accomodations of various kinds.

If you want to take a closer look:
From Vigo: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/vigo/redondela
From Ferrol: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/ferrol/pontedeume
From Sarria: https://www.gronze.com/etapa/sarria/portomarin

Are you sure about the elevations for the Inglés? IMO the CI is a bit harder when it comes to hills than the CF. Still very doable of course but I always perceived the CI as more strenuous than the CF.

Anyway , my vote goes for the CI. A perfect mini Camino. Plus the two bigger towns you pass through ( Pontedeume and Betanzos ) are perfect for a nice afternoon of easy walking and visiting.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I should say the Portuguese from Vigo
I did the Inglês too but found it harder to do than the Portuguese

Hello.I have walked all 3 of them and found the route from Vigo very good.My Vigo adventure was September . There were plenty of rooms available. Our group of 5 enjoyed Northern Spain and the spirit of the Camino. You will enjoy any of the 3 routes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings, I'm a first time pilgrim and I'm on the Inglès right now - writing from Betanzos. The first day (or two, if you start with a really short day and end in Neda ( which for a first timer might be / Would have been! smart) - is long but the elevation is not excessive. Day 2 - The climb out of Pontedeume is short but ouch! And it continues going up and down most of the day.
But it's manageable, and considerably shorter than day 1 was! I walked nearly every day for the last 6 weeks, often only 5-8 KMs, weekends at least one 15 + km days. It helped!
Look out for the FANTASTIC cafe on your left at the bottom of the hill between 1,5 and 2 hour's out of Pontedeume - it's the first - and only place in a long while. Only opened a couple of years ago, the two ladies running it are super friendly ( but don't speak english) . Fresh squeezed OJ if you're lucky! Peter 🇳🇿

Greetings, I'm a first time pilgrim and I'm on the Inglès right now - writing from Betanzos. The first day (or two, if you start with a really short day and end in Neda ( which for a first timer might be / Would have been! smart) - is long but the elevation is not excessive. Day 2 - The climb out of Pontedeume is short but ouch! And it continues going up and down most of the day.
But it's manageable, and considerably shorter than day 1 was! I walked nearly every day for the last 6 weeks, often only 5-8 KMs, weekends at least one 15 + km days. It helped!
Look out for the FANTASTIC cafe on your left at the bottom of the hill between 1,5 and 2 hour's out of Pontedeume - it's the first - and only place in a long while. Only opened a couple of years ago, the two ladies running it are super friendly ( but don't speak english) . Fresh squeezed OJ if you're lucky! Peter 🇳🇿
Thank you for the info Peterexpatkiwi! Please keep us all updated of your Camino Ingles journey. Buen Camino!

Day 3, and this trail is FULL! I'll post on daily updates about that, not normal so not relevant to this thread. LOTS of road walking for the first 10+ kms, quiet side roads but not kind to the feet. A couple of short but nasty stretches on busier roads with no footpath, just ditch either side. Again a fair bit of elevation. I think 24 kms? But definitely felt longer..... . Not many cafes/ bars, Don't miss the beautiful place about km46? Around 500m past the water station at the top of the hill, 2 1/2 - 3 hours out of Betanzos. The bar/ cafe stops hot food service at 20.00, get in earlier .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Day 4, Bruma to Sigüeiro, definitely easier, nowhere near as much road walking, some truly beautiful stretches. One longish stretch beside - but well seperated from - the motorway, easy walking with a couple of nice rest stops. And only 17kms into Santiago de Compostela tomorrow, joining the throngs. Today was the kind of day I'd been looking forward to!

I may be complicating your choice but you could also consider Lugo as a starting point. Right on the 100km point. An interesting town with stunning Roman walls. The Primitivo is comparatively quiet and the section from Lugo to Melide is fairly gentle walking. Once the Primitivo merges with the Frances in Melide you can then have the experience of the full three-ring-circus for the final 50km or so!

Day 4, Bruma to Sigüeiro, definitely easier, nowhere near as much road walking, some truly beautiful stretches. One longish stretch beside - but well seperated from - the motorway, easy walking with a couple of nice rest stops. And only 17kms into Santiago de Compostela tomorrow, joining the throngs. Today was the kind of day I'd been looking forward to!
Thank you so much for the updates Peterexpatkiwi! I would assume that by this time you've finished the Camino Ingles. I hope to hear more of your adventures along the Camino Ingles, thank you i advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I may be complicating your choice but you could also consider Lugo as a starting point. Right on the 100km point. An interesting town with stunning Roman walls. The Primitivo is comparatively quiet and the section from Lugo to Melide is fairly gentle walking. Once the Primitivo merges with the Frances in Melide you can then have the experience of the full three-ring-circus for the final 50km or so!
Thank you Bradypus for your suggestion. I would probably consider it on my future plans. But by now I would just stick to the easier paths because this is my very first Camino walk.

Thank you so much for the updates Peterexpatkiwi! I would assume that by this time you've finished the Camino Ingles. I hope to hear more of your adventures along the Camino Ingles, thank you i advance!

Thanks, I did indeed. The last day was a very easy going, with only 16km it was a quiet stroll! Again relatively easy terrain, some very pleasant stretches, some not so, but nothing disastrous. Stopped at both cafes along the way, 40 minutes at the second!! Most of my Camino family was already there or joined us. Just as we entered the old city, on the last stretch,
had the great fortune to have one of the Easter parades join the route. Exactly as in Ferrol. I'll be putting a bunch of photos and videos on YouTube, I'm not monetized so I guess it's not self promotion!??. Expatkiwi .
. Did it so all my friends and family can share - like pilgrinos, they come from all over the world!
I was incredibly fortunate - good/ fantastic! weather all the way. I'd start again tomorrow in the rain if I could...🇳🇿

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Moderator, sorry for the YouTube clip, not intended, could you please remove it? Thanks, Peter 🇳🇿
You can edit your own post and delete the clip if you want to. Usually the Forum software is configured to allow you to edit your own posts for a couple of days.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am following the instructions about editing my ACCOUNT DETAILS since I want to change the year of my past/present Camino/s but when I go to this page, the Past/Present Camino/s option is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back