• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best camino so far!

Christobal72

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances-Finisterre (oct 2014)
Camino Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago (feb 2015)
Via de la plata (oct 2015)
Camino Portuguese Porto-Santiago (may 2016)
Camino del norte/primitivo sept 2016
I just finished my sixt camino. I did the camino Madrid/camino San Salvador/camino del norte route. I can't praise this camino enough. Its the most diverse in landscape and culture I ever done. This is a camino that should see a lot more pilgrims!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just finished my sixt camino. I did the camino Madrid/camino San Salvador/camino del norte route. I can't praise this camino enough. Its the most diverse in landscape and culture I ever done. This is a camino that should see a lot more pilgrims!
Would love to do this.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Congrats, what a wonderful camino. Did you continue from Oviedo up to Aviles and then back down through Galicia at Ribadeo? Just wondering how you decided on the Norte and to forego the Primitivo. People always ask which is "better" and I am always at a loss for words since they are both so wonderful!

Congrats, what a wonderful camino. Did you continue from Oviedo up to Aviles and then back down through Galicia at Ribadeo? Just wondering how you decided on the Norte and to forego the Primitivo. People always ask which is "better" and I am always at a loss for words since they are both so wonderful!
Yes, I did the Oviedo-Aviles link and then finished on the del norte. just loved the days by the coast. Luarca and Tapia de casariego are two favourites

Yes, I did the Oviedo-Aviles link and then finished on the del norte. just loved the days by the coast. Luarca and Tapia de casariego are two favourites
Last year I started in Irun and then choose the Primitivo so this time I wanted to see the rest of del norte

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wish I'd read your post 3months ago.... After doing the francaise in may we decided to do the Portuguese in September..... Not enjoyable in the least.. Cobblestones for several hundred kms, bad signage, few albergues, no recognition that you're actually a pilgrim up to Porto and so few pilgrims, no comeraderie....

Wish I'd read your post 3months ago.... After doing the francaise in may we decided to do the Portuguese in September..... Not enjoyable in the least.. Cobblestones for several hundred kms, bad signage, few albergues, no recognition that you're actually a pilgrim up to Porto and so few pilgrims, no comeraderie....
BTW, how did you find the accommodation?

My vote is the San Salvador/ Primitivo route. I did the camino Madrid to start. 4 bikers 2 pilgrims. San Salvador in 7 days and I am still on Primitivo, and it's packed!
Weather is amazing!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have done the caminos from SJPDP and Lisbon and am considering the walk from Madrid next year. I am just a little concerned that it may be very lonely with few pilgrims. How did you find it? Were you alone most of the time or did you find other people to chat with along the way? Also were there plenty of cafes for refreshments on the route.

When I walked the Camino Madrid in fall of 2015 there were very few other pilgrims to be seen. Many days the guide book would indicate a bar/cafe in an upcoming town and we would arrive to find it closed. If you like regular coffee stops along the way this is probably not a good route for you.

Well in that case I'm not sure you would like this one. On the camino Madrid, Madrid-Sahagun, I was alone all the time. Both while walking and at the albergues. On the other parts there where more pilgrims but the comeraderie was not there in that way. The frances is special in that way. I dont think you will find the same "vibe" on any other camino actually.
But this camino was more about the ever changing scenery and the beautiful citys that you pass along the way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have done the caminos from SJPDP and Lisbon and am considering the walk from Madrid next year. I am just a little concerned that it may be very lonely with few pilgrims. How did you find it? Were you alone most of the time or did you find other people to chat with along the way? Also were there plenty of cafes for refreshments on the route.
I was alone the whole time and this camino needs some planing. At some parts there are cafes/bars every five km but at some parts there are nothing for up to 30km. But I was caught in a vacuum, cos the hospitaleros told me there was a group of five-six pilgrims just one or two days ahead of me.

When I walked the Camino Madrid in fall of 2015 there were very few other pilgrims to be seen. Many days the guide book would indicate a bar/cafe in an upcoming town and we would arrive to find it closed. If you like regular coffee stops along the way this is probably not a good route for you.
Still the same way..

Well in that case I'm not sure you would like this one. On the camino Madrid, Madrid-Sahagun, I was alone all the time. Both while walking and at the albergues. On the other parts there where more pilgrims but the comeraderie was not there in that way. The frances is special in that way. I dont think you will find the same "vibe" on any other camino actually.
But this camino was more about the ever changing scenery and the beautiful citys that you pass along the way.

Well that has put me off the Madrid as I do like to meet some pilgrims in the evenings ,although happy to walk alone during the day

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well that has put me off the Madrid as I do like to meet some pilgrims in the evenings ,although happy to walk alone during the day
Come with us if we do it Heather.

Come with us if we do it Heather.

I am considering the Madrid Camino in early May. Has anyone any experience of this route at this time of year.
Will it be too cold at the higher altitudes? Because of my advanced age [78] I like to travel light and on previous Caminos I have not carried a sleeping bag or winter clothing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Camino's de Madrid, San Salvador and Primitivo this year, starting 23 April. I was glad to have a ready-made camino family that I gathered from pilgrims I had met on previous caminos, two of them members of this forum. We did come across a few others walking, but they were few and far between.

Walking over Fuenfria I was chilled to the bone, due to low cloud /mist. I don't remember ever feeling so cold. I had thin gloves, and my buff over my face, but needed much more warmth. It was definitely my coldest camino with lots of misty mornings, but I absolutely loved it. I posted to my blog every day with info about accommodation and elevation and lots of photos. See link in signature line. I also made a video of the walk...

Heading to Madrid tomorrow for the Camino Madrid. Just finished the Norte route. Anything I need to know for the first 12 days to the France Way? Please advise

I walked the Camino's de Madrid, San Salvador and Primitivo this year, starting 23 April. I was glad to have a ready-made camino family that I gathered from pilgrims I had met on previous caminos, two of them members of this forum. We did come across a few others walking, but they were few and far between.

Walking over Fuenfria I was chilled to the bone, due to low cloud /mist. I don't remember ever feeling so cold. I had thin gloves, and my buff over my face, but needed much more warmth. It was definitely my coldest camino with lots of misty mornings, but I absolutely loved it. I posted to my blog every day with info about accommodation and elevation and lots of photos. See link in signature line. I also made a video of the walk...

Thank for that info. I think maybe I will leave it to later in May. Is the elevation higher than that on the Frances?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank for that info. I think maybe I will leave it to later in May. Is the elevation higher than that on the Frances?

Madrid is 630 metres and you steadily climb to the meseta.

I’m on day four now and I have to say, besides leaving Madrid, this path is awesome! I’ve done vdlp, Frances, Portugal twice and just finished Norte this past week. This trail is awesome compared to the rest. Come and enjoy. One thing, it’s the middle of October and 30 C . Really hot but I see in the next few days it cools off with rain . Yeah!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Heading to Madrid tomorrow for the Camino Madrid. Just finished the Norte route. Anything I need to know for the first 12 days to the France Way? Please advise
Oh sorry I just saw this! I will try to write some advice as soon as possible!

I’m on day four now and I have to say, besides leaving Madrid, this path is awesome! I’ve done vdlp, Frances, Portugal twice and just finished Norte this past week. This trail is awesome compared to the rest. Come and enjoy. One thing, it’s the middle of October and 30 C . Really hot but I see in the next few days it cools off with rain . Yeah!
Hey! Glad you like it! I suppose you just left Segovia. I dont have my guide at the moment so I dont have all the names of the villages. I dont know in wich towns you plan on staying in. But I remember that the town after Santa Maria la real de nueva until Puente Duero there is no ATM. So get cash in Santa Maria or the town after. The albuerge in Coca is a bit dirty, at least the beds. Maybe look for a private on there. Same in Alcazaren. Brand new but not so clean I felt but better than Coca.
Valladolid is a really nice town. Its just off the camino so the day after Puente Duero I just walked about five km to Simancas that day and then took the bus to town and stayed there until the next day when I took the bus back and continued. The two porticos on iglesia San Pablo is amazing. The bus stop is just before the old bridge in Simancas.
If you plan to stay in Castromonte be prepared. Bring food cos the bar has almost nothing to eat and I couldnt find a shop. I had to continue to Medina de rioseco wich is a really nice town with a good albuerge in a cloister.
The albuerge in Villalon de campos is really nice with hospitaleros. And the one in Grajal de campos is brand new inside a 16 century palace. Really nice.
That's all I remember at the moment. Hope you'll enjoy the rest of camino Madrid!

Hey! Glad you like it! I suppose you just left Segovia. I dont have my guide at the moment so I dont have all the names of the villages. I dont know in wich towns you plan on staying in. But I remember that the town after Santa Maria la real de nueva until Puente Duero there is no ATM. So get cash in Santa Maria or the town after. The albuerge in Coca is a bit dirty, at least the beds. Maybe look for a private on there. Same in Alcazaren. Brand new but not so clean I felt but better than Coca.
Valladolid is a really nice town. Its just off the camino so the day after Puente Duero I just walked about five km to Simancas that day and then took the bus to town and stayed there until the next day when I took the bus back and continued. The two porticos on iglesia San Pablo is amazing. The bus stop is just before the old bridge in Simancas.
If you plan to stay in Castromonte be prepared. Bring food cos the bar has almost nothing to eat and I couldnt find a shop. I had to continue to Medina de rioseco wich is a really nice town with a good albuerge in a cloister.
The albuerge in Villalon de campos is really nice with hospitaleros. And the one in Grajal de campos is brand new inside a 16 century palace. Really nice.
That's all I remember at the moment. Hope you'll enjoy the rest of camino Madrid!

That’s a pretty good memory. I stayed in Coca and Alcazaren and you are correct, the beds are pretty bad for sure. I’ll follow your recommendations from there but will not go to Valladolid as the weather is changing and want to keep going. I didn’t stay in Segovia. That day, I walked 35 kms to Zamarramala. It was a nice Albergue and once again, I was the only Pilgrim.

Really nice to hear your memories! Thank you

€60,-
I liked the albergue in Coca. It was very clean but some of the furniture is rather old-fashioned - it has beds (mine was fine, but they are variable), not bunks, and none of the blue plastic coverings. Run by an older woman who loves pilgrims and has made the municipal albergue her life's work. She is a sweetie.

If you want to see people this route may not be for you. I saw 4 bikers and 2 pilgrims in August. I didn’t find the markings to be great.
Any camino is a hit and miss with people. On the Salvador there was 3 or 4 each night, but 3 days later there was 10 and 12. Primitivo amazing.
Frances out of control with people. 2 hour wait for Compostela, and last Sunday they closed the church doors at 11:30.

I’ll be in Sahagun on Sunday. My Camino experience is about to change once again! On the Norte route in September/ October we had a dozen each nite on average. The Madrid way, I’ve met three total and I’m three days from the Frances way. Hmmmm....interesting even in October/November

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ll be in Sahagun on Sunday. My Camino experience is about to change once again! On the Norte route in September/ October we had a dozen each nite on average. The Madrid way, I’ve met three total and I’m three days from the Frances way. Hmmmm....interesting even in October/November
Its a lonely camino for sure but I hope you dont feel so lonely that it ruin it for you. Just wait until you walk down that hill into Sahagun and within one minute you'll see more pilgrims that you did on the whole Madrid route

Its a lonely camino for sure but I hope you dont feel so lonely that it ruin it for you. Just wait until you walk down that hill into Sahagun and within one minute you'll see more pilgrims that you did on the whole Madrid route

Nah, this is my sixth Camino in 14 months. I’m losing the big effects. When I’m doing me this Camino, I’ll be over 4000 kms walked in six months of walking in a fourteen month period. Try walking from Lisboa to Santiago in October/ November. I knew zero Portuguese. Ha! This Camino is really good. I don’t feel lonely. The locals are really nice.

Nah, this is my sixth Camino in 14 months. I’m losing the big effects. When I’m doing me this Camino, I’ll be over 4000 kms walked in six months of walking in a fourteen month period. Try walking from Lisboa to Santiago in October/ November. I knew zero Portuguese. Ha! This Camino is really good. I don’t feel lonely. The locals are really nice.
Haha! And I thought my six caminos in three years was extreme. Lucky you!
I agree. The locals where really friendly and not at all tired of pilgrims. On the frances you sometimes feel a bit unwanted at some places. So, Sahagun tomorrow. Where too then?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Haha! And I thought my six caminos in three years was extreme. Lucky you!
I agree. The locals where really friendly and not at all tired of pilgrims. On the frances you sometimes feel a bit unwanted at some places. So, Sahagun tomorrow. Where too then?

Santiago! I’m taking time off after Santiago though. Skiing ⛷ for the winter in Canada . I might try working again, just for fun while my injuries heel.

Do you have a future Camino in mind?

Skii
Santiago! I’m taking time off after Santiago though. Skiing ⛷ for the winter in Canada . I might try working again, just for fun while my injuries heel.

Do you have a future Camino in mind?
skiing in Canada sounds nice! I have one week in Austria next year. Well my plan was the Levante but I can't get enough time off work so next year I think Ill do the Aragones/frances/Invierno/Sanabres route.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.