Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Best Chocolate?

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Year of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Not sure about the favorite chocolate available as I am not a true connoisseur of chocolate, but I loved buying the big huge Valor chocolate bars loaded with hazelnuts. I found them everywhere, even in small tiendas and I would break off a chunk for a quick snack. They lasted me for a few days ...yum! 😋

mspath

Veteran Member
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
A tasty stop for you might be on the Le Puy route where
the Cistercian Abbey of Bonneval founded 1174 and since 1875 occupied by a community of nuns who are famous for their chocolate (!!) see www.abbaye-bonneval.com

Both rooms in a hôtellerie and a bunks in a gite are available for guests.

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

natefaith

Staff member
I love anything Lindt, and the huge Milka bars with caramel and whole hazelnuts :)

In Santiago, there's a new specialty chocolate shop called TEOATA, and their chocolate is yummy! Ruby, caramelized, milk, white, dark, etc etc - they have a lot of variety and everything is made in the shop by the family that owns it. I'd definitely recommend a stop here once you arrive in Santiago.

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Most people have a personal preference for chocolate. But, most people do NOT know that chocolate was introduced to Europe from the Americas during the 1500s. Returning explorers brought a selection of new and exotic items from what is now Central and South America, including:
  • Tobacco
  • Indigo (a dark blue - almost black dye - made from an indigenous plant)
  • Corn / Maize
  • Cacao - the precursor to chocolate
  • Coco leaf and cocaine.
There are other products. I list only the first five that came to mind.

In the Americas, cacao beans were pounded and ground into powder and turned into a beverage and drunk by the higher elements of society. However, without sugar it was very bitter. Sugar cane was also a local ground item, so it was readily available to add - to taste.

Only after it spread in several European countries did someone - I forget who or where decided to mix in milk to the recipe. Voila! Milk chocolate!

You might, or might not know that the center of the very large Spanish chocolate industry was Astorga, on the Camino Frances. When you next visit Astorga, check out the several stores that sell ONLY chocolate.

Valor appears to be the big Spanish brand. I can testify to its' excellence.

Churros and chocolate are never better than when taken at Astorga, at least IMHO. Yummy!

Hope this helps.

Tom

Robert B.

Camino Madrid - May (2017)
Looking forward to experiencing a new variety of chocolate bliss.

What’s your favourite chocolate on the Camino? 🍫 😊
I'm with Camino Chrissy - the big Valor bar with nuts. Saved my butt once after an overnight stay in Ane along the Madrid Camino. Nothing was open. That night I went hungry, saving a big chunk of my Valor bar to sustain me on the 12 km walk the next morning to the nearest breakfast. Every time I go to Spain, it's my first purchase!

frbobs

Camino Frances-(2014)
Camino Portugues-(2017)
Camino Madrid (August 2019)
Astorga has a chocolate Museum. Hint: they didn't put it there for no reason.
Ps can't seem to get Astorga Chocolate anywhere else, even internet mail order

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

wisepilgrim

Guidebook Author
Many
At the risk of hijacking this thread, I have to ask how many among us have packed a chocolate bar into the pack thinking it would survive a few hours of walking?

What did you do? Squeeze or scrape it soft? Chill in albergue fridge to eat deformed and with bits of foil attached?

I can't be the only one.

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
At the risk of hijacking this thread, I have to ask how many among us have packed a chocolate bar into the pack thinking it would survive a few hours of walking?

What did you do? Squeeze or scrape it soft? Chill in albergue fridge to eat deformed and with bits of foil attached?

I can't be the only one.
I never had to squeeze or scrape. I usually walk in spring so have no extreme heat. The nice inner foil packing held it together well, combined with the outside wrapper. I did lick gooey chocolate off my fingers a few times though.🤗

Last edited:

caro123

CF, 07 & 10. VdP, 14, CP, 18
CF: 2007, 2010. VdP: 2014 CP: 2018 CdN: ? 2019

What’s your favourite chocolate on the Camino? 🍫

Astorga and a memory of a Camino angle. Having got lost and tired with blistered feet I started crying. A man emerged from a chocolate warehouse - invited me in to sit and rest, then walked me to my accommodation and handed me the biggest block of chocolate I had ever seen…. No chocolate can compare and none has tasted as good since.

O Peracha

Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
Belgian Cote d'Or milk chocolate with hazelnuts. Similar to Valor packed with whole hazelnuts but not as easy to find.

O Peracha

Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)

I can't be the only one.

Dark chocolate will hold better than milk.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
Astorga has a chocolate Museum. Hint: they didn't put it there for no reason.
Ps can't seem to get Astorga Chocolate anywhere else, even internet mail order

The chocolate grinder at the chocolate museum in Astorga.

Attachments

• 2C2DB823-6C8A-4FD8-87F0-F941BFD90AC0.jpeg
    2C2DB823-6C8A-4FD8-87F0-F941BFD90AC0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126

lindam

Frances, VDLP, Invierno, Portuguese, Madrid, Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan/Aragones/Loyola Norte
If you are looking for chocolate to be used in drinking chocolate, I can highly recommend chocolate pazo de coruxo. You can buy large slabs of it in the small food shops near the cathedral in Santiago (or in various other places). Not to be missed for some hot chocolate bliss on a cold winter night!

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

malingerer

samarkand
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
Most people have a personal preference for chocolate. But, most people do NOT know that chocolate was introduced to Europe from the Americas during the 1500s. Returning explorers brought a selection of new and exotic items from what is now Central and South America, including:
  • Tobacco
  • Indigo (a dark blue - almost black dye - made from an indigenous plant)
  • Corn / Maize
  • Cacao - the precursor to chocolate
  • Coco leaf and cocaine.

In the Americas, cacao beans were pounded and ground into powder and turned into a beverage and drunk by the higher elements of society. However, without sugar it was very bitter. Sugar cane was also a local ground item, so it was readily available to add - to taste.

Only after it spread in several European countries did someone - I forget who or where decided to mix in milk to the recipe. Voila! Milk chocolate!

You might, or might not know that the center of the very large Spanish chocolate industry was Astorga, on the Camino Frances. When you next visit Astorga, check out the several stores that sell ONLY chocolate.

Valor appears to be the big Spanish brand. I can testify to its' excellence.

Churros and chocolate are never better than when taken at Astorga, at least IMHO. Yummy!

Hope this helps.

Tom
the bit from Zamora to Astorga is a bit I need to walk again for personal reasons but the thought of chocolate AND Astorga does creep into my mind :)

Buen camino. Not to sure about chocolate AND wine but what the hell, I make my own wine so I may just treat myself :)

Samarkand

Felipe

Veteran Member
I tasted a chocolate cup in Astorga, and discovered the reason of the proverb "Me gustan las cuentas claras y el chocolate espeso" (literally translated: "I like accounts crystal clear and thick chocolate"). I fancy you can flip a cup, and your chocolate stay firmly in place...

Btw, remember that Bayonne (the stop before SJPP) is the chocolate capital of France..

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

RJM

Veteran Member
A few times
I noticed (and purchased and consumed) a few brands of very good chocolate while walking the Camino. What variety depended on my appetite mood at the time. I liked the darker (60+%) varieties to munch on in the morning as I was walking. The more milk chocolate with almonds, peanuts or hazelnuts was nice to eat at night. Even the less expensive store brands (Dia) were good.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
And don't forget potatoes! No tortilla de patatas without them.

Peanut M&Ms for me. I normally like to walk 5-10 km or so before I stop to eat in the morning, however when I did the Camino del Salvador I failed to take into account that it was Sunday morning when I started out from León, and there was no where to get anything to eat until the after noon. Fortunately, I had bought a big bag of peanut M&Ms the night before which sustained me until I could get some lunch.
Buen camino. Not to sure about chocolate AND wine but what the hell, I make my own wine so I may just treat myself :)
Chocolate and wine is wonderful!

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Camino Chrissy

Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
No one has mentioned second breakfast of chocolate croissants.
A chocolate filled croissant was often first breakfast for me. I never wanted a plain one again after having tried the other.

Testuflo

Camino frances (Le Puy-Santiago) 2008-2013
Camino del Norte - 2014
Via de la Plata - 2016
In Switzerland...start your Camino in Geneva. 😎
Then start it in Belgium!
The Côte d'Or black chocolate is a must. But not easy to find in Spain.

In my opinion, the best one on the Camino(s) is one you can find not only on a specific place but everywhere on your Camino, whichever way you are walking: the large bar of Valor dark chocolate with nuts.
Saved me several times when losing energy on difficult days!

For eating, Swiss.
Sorry, Belgian amigas but it's the best. ;)
The chocolate I tried in Astorga was all disappointingly gummy.

But drinking is another story.
OMG, no-one can beat Spanish cocolate con churros. There's a place in Leon just down the street from the Cathedral that I'm fond of, but many places have chocolate so thick the spoon practically stands up in it. (Once a week max for me, otherwise I'd gain too much weight.)

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo

I can't be the only one.
Nope. The worst was in the days when I wore hiking pants and I put it in my back pocket. Perhaps we could say it was a major social gaff.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

OTH86

Veteran Member
Sorry, a chocolate gremlin swiped the first one! Good thing I had an extra!
I thought with the X in the name that it was Basque - alas, it appears to be made in Barcelona...

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Poco a poco: we're nibbling away at the Francés. Hoping to go back in 2022.
OMG, no-one can beat Spanish cocolate con churros. There's a place in Leon just down the street from the Cathedral that I'm fond of, but many places have chocolate so thick the spoon practically stands up in it.
Here's another vote for drinking chocolate! I'd even skip the churros. I imagine it's available in many places, but I remember one spot a few doors down from the medieval gate in Burgos.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
The Chemin from Arles goes through Oloron-Ste-Marie and the whole town smells deliciously of chocolate from the Lindt factory.
When I was in France in 1988, before heading into Spain, I stopped off at the town with the Poulain chocolate factory. I remember the smell of chocolate in the town there, too. From when we first got off the train. I'm sure Blois is on one Camino or another.

My first stop in Spain that trip was in Pamplona, during the San Fermines. It had a completely different odor.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

David Tallan

Veteran Member

I can't be the only one.
When I did my Camino Portugues, I took several bars from our local Soma Chocolatier: their Old School Milk Chocolate bars to share with fellow pilgrims, as they are probably my favourite chocolate bars. They lasted quite well, even in the heat, actually.

Sean Lad

Not sure about the favorite chocolate available as I am not a true connoisseur of chocolate, but I loved buying the big huge Valor chocolate bars loaded with hazelnuts. I found them everywhere, even in small tiendas and I would break off a chunk for a quick snack. They lasted me for a few days ...yum! 😋

Sugar free chocolate

Last edited by a moderator:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg