• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best compression sack(s) Plus best shirts

Veronicad1

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully this fall!
I'm hoping to walk the Camino this fall and I'm currently going through everything I've purchased and now cutting it down. I would like to know what would be the best compression sack or sacks for clothing and/or a sleeping bag and a case for first aid supplies. I have a Deuter Act Lite 45+10 Liter. Based on the list below, what size(s) should I get? Too much stuff?

Items to pack: 1 pair of silk glove liners, 1 pair of waterproof gloves, 2 Buffs, 1 wool blend hat, 4 pair of Exofficio underwear, 3 sports bras, 3 pair Columbia zip off pants, 3 pair of silk long underwear, shirts TBD, 4 pair of silk sock liners, 4 pair of Smartwool socks, 3 under shirts - 1 silk 2 merino wool blend, 1 micro fiber towel, 1 fleece, 1 rain poncho, 1 light weight jacket, 1 bar of Dr Bronner's, small toiletries/first aid, 1 rollable hat, 1 silk sleeping bag liner, sleeping bag TBD, 2 NASA reflective mylar blankets, 1 small bag for electronics and power converter, small plastic clothes pins, 2 pair reading glasses, 1 head light. It fits with no compression now and no sleeping bag.

I don't know what kind of shirts to wear over my long underwear so a bit of advice on that too would be a great help.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
45 litres is as big a pack as anyone would need. Your stuff will fit easily, or at least it should. If it doesn't, then you have too much stuff. You don't need the NASA poly film miracles. You are not going into space....its a rural farming district with towns every few miles. Most people don't need the headlight unless they plan on walking in the dark. Remember that most modern phones have a flashlight built in.

As to your questions, I used a compression bag only for my sleeping bag (the one it came with) and my toiletries (OK, not a compression bag really). Everything else was either loose or in a plastic bag. You have a poncho, so there is no need to waterproof internally. If you must separate things in your pack, pick the lightest bags you can find. I used grocery bags.

As to shirts, its all about layering. Depending upon when you go and how lucky you are, it could vary from very hot to near freezing temperatures. You add and remove layers to allow for adjustment. You already have a fleece (the most important thing in the bag), and I hope your light jacket is really a wind jacket. Beyond that, you should be OK with one or two long sleeve pullover types and a couple of T-Shirts. As you are selecting the long sleeve, think both warmth AND sun protection. I suggest merino for all of these, but anything synthetic is also fine. No cotton.

Oh, and forgive me I simply cannot resist. Two pairs of reading glasses? No wonder they called you four-eyes at school! ;) Sorry, I had to get it out.

Buen Camino!

Veronica, I will not tell you what to cut out but I will suggest that you have enough clothing to outfit 2 - 3 pilgrims. Looking at the packing lists on blogs by other women will help you decide what to keep. Deuter also makes the same pack in a 35+10 size which is adequate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm hoping to walk the Camino this fall and I'm currently going through everything I've purchased and now cutting it down. I would like to know what would be the best compression sack or sacks for clothing and/or a sleeping bag and a case for first aid supplies. I have a Deuter Act Lite 45+10 Liter. Based on the list below, what size(s) should I get? Too much stuff?

Items to pack: 1 pair of silk glove liners, 1 pair of waterproof gloves, 2 Buffs, 1 wool blend hat, 4 pair of Exofficio underwear, 3 sports bras, 3 pair Columbia zip off pants, 3 pair of silk long underwear, shirts TBD, 4 pair of silk sock liners, 4 pair of Smartwool socks, 3 under shirts - 1 silk 2 merino wool blend, 1 micro fiber towel, 1 fleece, 1 rain poncho, 1 light weight jacket, 1 bar of Dr Bronner's, small toiletries/first aid, 1 rollable hat, 1 silk sleeping bag liner, sleeping bag TBD, 2 NASA reflective mylar blankets, 1 small bag for electronics and power converter, small plastic clothes pins, 2 pair reading glasses, 1 head light. It fits with no compression now and no sleeping bag.

I don't know what kind of shirts to wear over my long underwear so a bit of advice on that too would be a great help.

A backpacking friend once told me two things (which I ignored last year when walking the Frances and regretted it) #1 while not etched in stone your pack should not exceed 10% of your body weight #2 pack your bag with everything you think you need then take out half. My pack with everything including my boots now weighs 8kg/16.4lbs, last fall 18+ kg . I have a 48L Osprey Kestrel, I am 6'1'' tall and 230lbs. I am well below the 10% rule. You have a LOT of stuff :(. What you carry is a very personal decision. good luck and Buen Camino !!!:)

Take what you want!!!!! If you get tired of it give it away or ship it home. It is your way. I carry extra stuff cause I want it available to me. I also am in spain for 10 weeks
Have fun open your heart!

Veronica, To answer one of your questions: There are several ways of packing things in you back pack. I used 4 Eagle Creek Spector half cubes in different colors to color code the contents. Some people use zip-loc bags. Others use stuff bags like you can get at REI. Plastic grocery bags are good also and cost effective. Try to choose something that will not rattle when you are packing early in the morning.

All of your preparation now is an important part of your camino. Do take things that you like and that you are comfortable wearing, just not too much. A target weight for everything including pack should be around 15 lbs. or even less not counting food or water. Something not on your list is one or two energy bars tucked away for emergencies.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK, first I would cut down your packing list a bit ;-) Comments in italics:

1 pair of silk glove liners/1 pair of waterproof gloves - leave the liners at home, take the waterproof ones
2 Buffs only one
4 pair of Exofficio underwear - three are enough
3 sports bras - two are enough
3 pair Columbia zip off pants - two are enough
1 silk seeping bag liner, sleeping bag - just take the sleeping bag and leave the liner
4 pair of silk sock liners, 4 pair of Smartwool socks - two of the liners, max. three of the thicker socks
2 NASA reflective mylar blankets - max one, or none!
2 pair reading glasses - one is enough unless you are blind as a mole without them ;-)
3 pair of silk long underwear - like in long johns/leggings? Overkill! Max 1 if any.
T-shirts - I would suggest two short, one long sleeve one
3 under shirts - leave at home
1 wool blend hat, 1 rollable hat - one or the other
1 head light - leave at home

I don't know what kind of shirts to wear over my long underwear so a bit of advice on that too would be a great help. - Just wear the t-shirt you will be wearing the next day ;-) and no need for long underwear ...

As for stuff sacks/ water proof packing - I use a big sturdy rubbish bag as a general liner in my backpack, sleeping bag goes in another rubbish back. Clothing goes into a water proof compression sack stuff sack of around 20l. Buen Camino, SY

In May, I ended up wearing just one pair of shorts and sent one pair of pants ahead to Santiago. There would never be a reason to carry even two pair of zip-off pants. If it got cool, I had long underwear bottoms to wear under my shorts. Two pairs of glasses I totally support. One pair of mine got knocked off an ancient Roman bridge into the water early in my walk and I was very happy I had another pair.

Oh, re. shirts... you can spend a lot of money on easy-dry, wicking, hi-tech tee shirts at places like REI (or similar sporting goods stores in other countries). I just found that Hanes makes a very inexpensive tee shirt called XTemp that will be perfect for the Camino. It feels like cotton but is cooling and dries fast. I got a couple at Walmart.

I am going in the fall and will be carrying for clothes:

Altra trail running shoes
Chacos sandals (they are a bit heavy, but I will probably end up walking in them as much as in my shoes)
2 pairs socks
2 pairs underwear
2 bras
1 set long underwear
1 shorts
(probably no long pants)
2 tee shirts
very lightweight rayon dress (I wear this when the rest of my stuff is on the line or when I don't need to look like a pilgrim)
rain jacket
rain pants
1 buff
1 bandana
lightweight gloves (I like to use them with my Pacer poles so my hands don't get sweaty, too)

I think that's it.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
45 litres is as big a pack as anyone would need. Your stuff will fit easily, or at least it should. If it doesn't, then you have too much stuff. You don't need the NASA poly film miracles. You are not going into space....its a rural farming district with towns every few miles. Most people don't need the headlight unless they plan on walking in the dark. Remember that most modern phones have a flashlight built in.

As to your questions, I used a compression bag only for my sleeping bag (the one it came with) and my toiletries (OK, not a compression bag really). Everything else was either loose or in a plastic bag. You have a poncho, so there is no need to waterproof internally. If you must separate things in your pack, pick the lightest bags you can find. I used grocery bags.

As to shirts, its all about layering. Depending upon when you go and how lucky you are, it could vary from very hot to near freezing temperatures. You add and remove layers to allow for adjustment. You already have a fleece (the most important thing in the bag), and I hope your light jacket is really a wind jacket. Beyond that, you should be OK with one or two long sleeve pullover types and a couple of T-Shirts. As you are selecting the long sleeve, think both warmth AND sun protection. I suggest merino for all of these, but anything synthetic is also fine. No cotton.

Oh, and forgive me I simply cannot resist. Two pairs of reading glasses? No wonder they called you four-eyes at school! ;) Sorry, I had to get it out.

Buen Camino!
Wow, no one has called me that for at least 40 years.

Anyway, I would like information on compression sacks and shirts. From what I've read cotton t-shirts are a bad idea; dry SLOW and uncomfortable. Thanks.

Yes, cotton shirts are a very bad idea, but tech (wicking moisture away from skin/quick drying) shirts are cheap and easy to find. If you would tell us where you live, we could even give you more detailed information ;-) BC SY

Hi Veronica,
Others have replied regarding your gear so I will just let you know that I've walked 4 caminos wearing an Ex-officio long sleeved, button up shirt with mesh vents. Dries overnight - even if there is no sun.
They are cool to walk in if it's sunny and give great sun protection. I don't think you will need to walk in long underwear in the fall. Layers you can remove as you warm up walking are best.
buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are going in the fall as well. The list below weights in at 12 lbs. (5k). Add water & food = 15 lbs. This is fairly heavy for me, as I weight 105 lbs and am 63 yrs old with a dicey back.
I have:
1 pair hiking pants (wearing)
1 warm leggings
1 winter weight panty hose
1 long sleeve wicking T-shirt (UV protection)
1 short sleeve T-shirt
1 long sleeve fleece shirt
1 wind jacket (will wear 1 or 2 or more of tops as needed)
1 buff
1 sun hat
1 warm beeny hat
1 caftan (after shower, can wear to town, can put leggings & warm shirt under, sleep wear, privacy curtain, wear while doing all the other laundry)
1 pedi socks (for after shower & lounging)
2 bras
3 knee high hose (sock liners)
2 thin socks
1 wool socks
1 waterproof socks
1 pr fingerless, padded gloves for use with hiking poles
1 pr warm gloves
1 shower & evening sandals
1 poncho for me and my pack
1/2 of sandwich size bag for medical
1 xs stuff sack for my meds
1 shower bag (Sea to Summit) 2/3rds empty. Has all I need.
1 silk bag liner
1 cut down fleece liner to put inside silk liner (all in a waterproof sack)
1 puzzle book & pen
1 small drawstring bag for evenings & shopping
tiny wallet
passport & Camino passport in waterproof, marine grade zip lock
tiny bottle for 1 dose of meds if needed
phone, charger for Euro plug ins, cable
tiny flashlight
spork
sandwich box, plastic & light weight for food I don't want to smash.
tissues
mint strips
6 dipper pins for hanging laundry
1 long shoe lace for laundry and belt around poncho in the wind
doggie poopy bags (just in case) for ..... and dirty tissues
panty liners
several pages of travel reservation confirmations (toss as I go)

It's all you need, really. Heat, cold, rain. And if you must have something else, there are stores in Spain.

Yes, cotton shirts are a very bad idea, but tech (wicking moisture away from skin/quick drying) shirts are cheap and easy to find. If you would tell us where you live, we could even give you more detailed information ;-) BC SY
Yes thank you - southeast Florida is where I am for the summer

We are going in the fall as well. The list below weights in at 12 lbs. (5k). Add water & food = 15 lbs. This is fairly heavy for me, as I weight 105 lbs and am 63 yrs old with a dicey back.
I have:
1 pair hiking pants (wearing)
1 warm leggings
1 winter weight panty hose
1 long sleeve wicking T-shirt (UV protection)
1 short sleeve T-shirt
1 long sleeve fleece shirt
1 wind jacket (will wear 1 or 2 or more of tops as needed)
1 buff
1 sun hat
1 warm beeny hat
1 caftan (after shower, can wear to town, can put leggings & warm shirt under, sleep wear, privacy curtain, wear while doing all the other laundry)
1 pedi socks (for after shower & lounging)
2 bras
3 knee high hose (sock liners)
2 thin socks
1 wool socks
1 waterproof socks
1 pr fingerless, padded gloves for use with hiking poles
1 pr warm gloves
1 shower & evening sandals
1 poncho for me and my pack
1/2 of sandwich size bag for medical
1 xs stuff sack for my meds
1 shower bag (Sea to Summit) 2/3rds empty. Has all I need.
1 silk bag liner
1 cut down fleece liner to put inside silk liner (all in a waterproof sack)
1 puzzle book & pen
1 small drawstring bag for evenings & shopping
tiny wallet
passport & Camino passport in waterproof, marine grade zip lock
tiny bottle for 1 dose of meds if needed
phone, charger for Euro plug ins, cable
tiny flashlight
spork
sandwich box, plastic & light weight for food I don't want to smash.
tissues
mint strips
6 dipper pins for hanging laundry
1 long shoe lace for laundry and belt around poncho in the wind
doggie poopy bags (just in case) for ..... and dirty tissues
panty liners
several pages of travel reservation confirmations (toss as I go)

It's all you need, really. Heat, cold, rain. And if you must have something else, there are stores in Spain.
I never thought of doggy poop bags! Thank you. I may forgo a pair of zip pants. Even so, it all fits and is under 10 lbs before the backpack. Mos

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In May, I ended up wearing just one pair of shorts and sent one pair of pants ahead to Santiago. There would never be a reason to carry even two pair of zip-off pants. If it got cool, I had long underwear bottoms to wear under my shorts. Two pairs of glasses I totally support. One pair of mine got knocked off an ancient Roman bridge into the water early in my walk and I was very happy I had another pair.

Oh, re. shirts... you can spend a lot of money on easy-dry, wicking, hi-tech tee shirts at places like REI (or similar sporting goods stores in other countries). I just found that Hanes makes a very inexpensive tee shirt called XTemp that will be perfect for the Camino. It feels like cotton but is cooling and dries fast. I got a couple at Walmart.

I am going in the fall and will be carrying for clothes:

Altra trail running shoes
Chacos sandals (they are a bit heavy, but I will probably end up walking in them as much as in my shoes)
2 pairs socks
2 pairs underwear
2 bras
1 set long underwear
1 shorts
(probably no long pants)
2 tee shirts
very lightweight rayon dress (I wear this when the rest of my stuff is on the line or when I don't need to look like a pilgrim)
rain jacket
rain pants
1 buff
1 bandana
lightweight gloves (I like to use them with my Pacer poles so my hands don't get sweaty, too)

I think that's it.
Thank you! Yes, I've lost readers and having a spair pair is the idea. They're the FG folding ones for my 59 year old eyes. I thought I was over packing and of course REI LOVES seeing me walk in! I need extra underwear for my equally as old bladder so that I won't foego but some of the stuff can go back to REI and Amazon. I have a poncho, wind jacket and gaiters too.

I'll cut down the clothes, just the silk liner not buy a sleeper, two sets of long handles (sleep in one while the other dries then wear the sleepers the next day if needed) and I have my running t-shirts with the sweat wicking technology - even if they're shirts from runDisney events, who doesn't love that? Have to find some extra shoes but that should do it.

Hanes now makes a tee shirt called the XTemp that is lightweight, wicking and cool and - best of all - feels just like cotton. You can get em at Walmart. I will bring one long sleeve long underwear top, but otherwise, I'll bring two of these tee shirts. Last year I lost (well, left on a clothesline) a shirt, so picked one up in the Lost and Found box at the next albergue.

Some great posts and you are wise to seek advice from seasoned pilgrims... Most injuries are the result of carrying a heavy pack ( hence the growing popularity of pack transport). No need to give away/leave quality gear . Return it to the store or leave it at home for another Camino. There most likely will be more, Veronica!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Apart from socks and underwear, I cut everything down to two pairs. How late in the fall/autumn do you plan to walk. You should not need long johns, glove liners, or gloves. Woolly hats not really necessary. It is still quite warm through to the end of October. I have no personal experience of November but I have heard its not really cold then except at high altitudes like Pyrenees and Montes de León

Thank you. I have cut down to two of everything and I will take the long underwear only because those pants are quite there. Then again, they are silk so they're almost as light as air. I've been debating a fleece but everything else I have cut down and I'm weighing my pack to get it under 15 pounds.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One word - pantyliners
I was planning to take some because you know, I can sneeze and have to change clothes. However, the other comments about using them to dry your shoes and as insole liners are brilliant! They don't weigh that much or take up that much space so why not? LOL you ladies are brilliant!!! ❤️

South east Florida.

Thank you. I have cut down to two of everything and I will take the long underwear only because those pants are quite there. Then again, they are silk so they're almost as light as air. I've been debating a fleece but everything else I have cut down and I'm weighing my pack to get it under 15 pounds.

Last spring (May/June) I ended up buying a lightweight fleece jacket in Spain. I recommend bringing one.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.