• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best earliest time to go

Henriette Drinnan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
We'd like to walk the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied De Port to Santiago De Compostela in the spring/2017. We would really like to avoid the crowds but want to go when the albergues are open. We're not worried about a little rain. How early can we start?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi - we left SJPDP on April 12th this year and didn't face the bigger groups until Sarria in mid-May. Pretty much all Albergues were open and we had maybe 8-10 days of rain (I suspect we got pretty lucky with this however). That said, I did my first in Jan/Feb and there were always Albergues available and had the Camino to myself most days so if you don't mind the occasional white, fluffy rain it's a brilliant time to go!

If you can take the 'high road' over the pyrenees depends on the unpredictable weather. Theoretically it is open from April to October, but if the snow lingers, it stays closed longer. If you are happy to walk the Valcarlos route or start in Roncesvalles then any time before Easter is possible and would fit your bill. Most albergues are open the week before Easter, roughly. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Napoleon is officially closed till March (or is it April). Snow will determine whether it is open then. Snow varies ... sometimes lingering into May.

Indications on this forum are that except for Route Napoleon there are people walking on the camino all year. However most of the traffic doesn't start till late March or early April.

Eroski consumer lists albergues including open close dates. Most of them that close in winter re-open just prior to Easter.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

On our first Camino in 2013 we left Pamplona on April 10. An Australian told me he had walked through a lot of snow after leaving St. Jean. We didn't experience snow from Pamplona to Santiago, but the weather was exactly like the weather at home at this time of year - variable. Some days warm sun, some days much cooler, and some nights near or maybe below freezing. Many mornings we started out wearing gloves, a hat, and layers. Most days we shed all or most of these items by mid-day. Flowers were just starting to bloom. Very little rain, even in Galicia - I guess we were lucky in this respect. We booked ahead once or maybe twice, then only because our destination for those days contained few beds.

We just hiked in May of this year from St. Jean to Pamplona and the lodging capacity was stressed. People without reservations who arrived late were struggling. Maybe an anomaly, I can't be sure. But I think an April start may avoid the crowds that we experienced this year.

Buen Camino.

Tom

Last edited:
Hi - we left SJPDP on April 12th this year and didn't face the bigger groups until Sarria in mid-May. Pretty much all Albergues were open and we had maybe 8-10 days of rain (I suspect we got pretty lucky with this however). That said, I did my first in Jan/Feb and there were always Albergues available and had the Camino to myself most days so if you don't mind the occasional white, fluffy rain it's a brilliant time to go!

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. Did you have a lot of rain in Jan/Feb? We're thinking of starting at the end of Feb & through March to be done before Holy Week in early April.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you can take the 'high road' over the pyrenees depends on the unpredictable weather. Theoretically it is open from April to October, but if the snow lingers, it stays closed longer. If you are happy to walk the Valcarlos route or start in Roncesvalles then any time before Easter is possible and would fit your bill. Most albergues are open the week before Easter, roughly. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. We would likely take the Valcarlos route at that time of year. Thinking of leaving late Feb or early March and being done before Holy Week. Another person wrote that there were enough albergues open when he walked in Feb. We'll keep researching albergues and weather which are the big questions.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful. Did you have a lot of rain in Jan/Feb? We're thinking of starting at the end of Feb & through March to be done before Holy Week in early April.
Hi, Henriette,
My experience in March is that many albergues and other support (cafes, etc) don't open until mid-month, about the 15th (or Semana Santa, whenever that falls). But if you feel OK with longer stages and tending to yourself at mid-day in the food department, it's a lovely time to go--there are fellow pilgrims but no overcrowding.
Of course, the weather can be changeable...but that's spring anywhere. Go prepared with enough warm clothes, rain gear, and a sleeping bag and you'll be fine.
And there threads here about Jan/Feb winter pilgrimages--they definitely require special preparation. A search and/or a PM to @mspath (an experienced winter walker) will yield plenty of useful advice.

I did have a handful of days with rain and an equal measure of days with snow. Unless a person was accustomed to being in a snowy, winter environment I'd also recommend starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona because even on the Valcarlos route I encounter some pretty serious winter conditions. After that however, as long as you have some winter layers, a solitary Camino is a beautiful thing! Enjoy planning and Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did have a handful of days with rain and an equal measure of days with snow. Unless a person was accustomed to being in a snowy, winter environment I'd also recommend starting in Roncesvalles or Pamplona because even on the Valcarlos route I encounter some pretty serious winter conditions. After that however, as long as you have some winter layers, a solitary Camino is a beautiful thing! Enjoy planning and Buen Camino!

Thanks again, that sounds good to us and starting in Pamplona or Roncesvalles is probably a good idea.
We will very much enjoy a quiet camino as our first time and then perhaps explore other routes in the future.

Hi, Henriette,
My experience in March is that many albergues and other support (cafes, etc) don't open until mid-month, about the 15th (or Semana Santa, whenever that falls). But if you feel OK with longer stages and tending to yourself at mid-day in the food department, it's a lovely time to go--there are fellow pilgrims but no overcrowding.
Of course, the weather can be changeable...but that's spring anywhere. Go prepared with enough warm clothes, rain gear, and a sleeping bag and you'll be fine.
And there threads here about Jan/Feb winter pilgrimages--they definitely require special preparation. A search and/or a PM to @mspath (an experienced winter walker) will yield plenty of useful advice.

That's great information. Semana Santa isn't until April 9 - 15 next year so we're hoping to go in Feb/ March to be finished before easter. We can bring food in the day, (hopefully we can purchase in the evenings), we do look forward to tasting some fine Spanish wines after a long days walk so hopefully their will be some pubs open! I'll check out the threads on winter walking.

On our first Camino in 2013 we left Pamplona on April 10. An Australian told me he had walked through a lot of snow after leaving St. Jean. We didn't experience snow from Pamplona to Santiago, but the weather was exactly like the weather at home at this time of year - variable. Some days warm sun, some days much cooler, and some nights near or maybe below freezing. Many mornings we started out wearing gloves, a hat, and layers. Most days we shed all or most of these items by mid-day. Flowers were just starting to bloom. Very little rain, even in Galicia - I guess we were lucky in this respect. We booked ahead once or maybe twice, then only because our destination for those days contained few beds.

We just hiked in May of this year from St. Jean to Pamplona and the lodging capacity was stressed. People without reservations who arrived late were struggling. Maybe an anomaly, I can't be sure. But I think an April start may the avoid the crowds that we experienced this year.

Buen Camino.

Tom

Thanks Tom for your reply. We're thinking of walking in March so likely there will be a fair amount of snow from St. Jean so we may start in Pamplona. Being cold is ok when walking, probably preferable to being too hot. The amount of rain will just depend on luck I suppose as some years are worse than others but we'll come as prepared as we can. I suppose we won't have to book ahead in March but will have less options for albergues as some may still be closed. Thanks again, Henriette

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Somewhere here (maybe the resources section?) there is a list of albergues open in the winter.
(And when you make your packing list, not to forget that Spain can get cold, especially in the mountains. So it's very important to take are decent wool gloves--the pile ones are useless. I also have an old pair of wool socks that I cut the toes off that are good wrist warmers. And of course a warm hat. Hands and head are where most of the heat goes disappears.)

I've never considered doing a camino out of season, after reading this thread I can see that it has many advantages on the more crowded routers. Worth researching me thinks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked this year starting on 01April2016. We had a wonderful experience, as did others we run into heavier traffic from Porto Marin / Sarria .

We were fortunate weather wise: rainy cool spring this year, we had rain near us more than on us with only 8? plus days of rain. I heard grumbling from business owners more about the cool weather lasting than the rain. Great time of year to do a Camino, met many happy faces along the way, and refreshed business owners and operators.

If you speak Spanish(even bad Spanish like me) the local people usually have very interesting comments about there surrounding area, telling more than standard history points, making us appreciative of the area we were in. We had the time to stop and see the sights, enjoy where we were, and that enhanced our trip.

I started in late March, and another time, in early April. Both with reasonable weather, fortunately.
Generaly speaking (very generally), April is a very nice month to walk. Yes, there will be rain, chilly winds in the mornings and muddy paths, but nothing compared to the conditions in winter. Also, some clear, sunny days, especially while the month advances.
I'd add that local people are in better and cheerful spirits, looking at the first flowers and leaves in the streets. There is a promise in the air, after the tough winter.
If I could choose, I' d start around April 10th, so I finish one month later, before the surge of heat of mid-May (which, frankly, I can't stand) and the crowds.
SJPP-Roncesvalles is entirely another thing. It is a mountain pass, and in spring could be unpredictable. You probable will have to decide this stage a couple of days before.
Two points: you have to consider both your initial and final dates. This implies clothes for different climate situations.
And in in Easter, there will be a noticeable increase of people in the Camino, especially after Sarriá.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great information. We're thinking now of leaving early April. This gives us more options for open Albergues, pubs etc while still being in front of the crowds and hopefully after the snow. Also, more likely we can walk the Napoleon route which would be nice to include. A few busy days around easter may be well worth it for the festivities. We'll continue to search this great website for information until then. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.