• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Early One-Week Route

QuailHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte y Primitivo (2018)
I am hopeful of walking the del Norte and Primitivo in spring 2018 after walking the Frances last year. My wife has expressed interest in joining me for approximately a week on the del Norte, probably early on. I am a bit concerned about the early days out of Irun for her. I think it's practical to expect that she won't put the training in that I will, planning for only a week, and that the terrain will be very difficult. Is there a "better" stretch to plan for her to join me, say from Bilbao, that still has good scenery but is more manageable physically? Suggestions, please!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Alot flatter after Bilbao but would start in Portugalete about 17km beyond Bilbao as that section is very mundane and industrial

I am hopeful of walking the del Norte and Primitivo in spring 2018 after walking the Frances last year. My wife has expressed interest in joining me for approximately a week on the del Norte, probably early on. I am a bit concerned about the early days out of Irun for her. I think it's practical to expect that she won't put the training in that I will, planning for only a week, and that the terrain will be very difficult. Is there a "better" stretch to plan for her to join me, say from Bilbao, that still has good scenery but is more manageable physically? Suggestions, please!
Your question brings to mind a question that I have about the Norte, and perhaps the answer will help us both.
I understand that the first few days of the Norte are pretty difficult, so I was wondering if there is somewhere that one could start before Irun that would provide a gentler start to the Norte.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@trecile You could start in Bayonne or even Bordeaux but way-finding might be a bit of a challenge. There are 'routes': the Vasco Interior was a delight this year but takes you down to the Frances rather than up to the Norte. That said there is a way-marked route from Bayonne to Irun the name of which escapes me but the Tourist Office in Bayonne had a leaflet and there may be some on-line resource.

For the OP, @QuailHiker, depending on logistics your wife might like to join you from Santander onward for a week. Spectacular but not savage walking. The only problem might be that you'll have 'camino legs' by then and she will not have. You'll have to adjust your pace to hers.

My daughter(38) and I (73) did the Norte from Irun to santander and the the primitivo to Santiago September 2016. I thought the first two days were some of the best scenery. We met two women from Paris who felt they could only hike so far each day so they would take taxi or bus each day to accomodate their ability. Maybe your wife could shorten her days this way. don't miss the Albergue de Guemes another highlight of our caminos. Buen Camino

May I offer a suggestion. Since your post implies that your wife wants to share your Camino adventure for just a bit, does she ride a bicycle? The Norde (not the Primativo) is quite paved. Even if she doesn't train as much as you do, she might be easily able to keep up with you on the relatively flat and paved sections on a bicycle (especially if she used a luggage service). It might even allow her to keep up with you for a longer period of time or more shared memories.

Good luck and enjoy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.