Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Best guide book?

Daniel Crowe

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
How are you all?

I'm doing the Camino Del Norte on Sept 14th starting in Irun and I'm looking around for the best guide book for the trip? I know at this particular moment that every guide book is less accurate than it was but can anyone recommend one for me, please?

I know phones and google maps etc is all very good but having a book means you don't have to worry about loss of signal or dropping it in the toilet! haha If push comes to shove I can use the phone and book, but I'd sooner have the book.

Thank you!

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

RJM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A few times
Digital is good, real books are better, but I'm sure despite you saying you want an actual book there will be responses from forum members trying to convince you otherwise*, :D .
Wise pilgrim makes a guidebook for the Norte. I had one of their guidebooks for the Frances. It's good. I'm sure their book for the Norte is as well.
*and I was right lol

Last edited:
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I know phones and google maps etc is all very good but having a book means you don't have to worry about loss of signal or dropping it in the toilet!
By all means take a guidebook if you want, but the apps and Kindle versions of guidebooks (such as the Village to Village guide suggested above) don't need a signal to work as everything is downloaded on your phone.
I can't help you with the toilet problem though. 😄

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Wise Pilgrim for sure.
I had downloaded the Northern Camino guidebook and a few years earlier i had all the Wise Pilgrim apps that I bought in a bundle. I think it is a personal choice but I found the Wise Pilgrim app to be much better for me. There is a downloadable GPS map and if you go with the actual book there are good maps and directions as well as lists of places to sleep.

Daniel Crowe

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think that actually I'm going to go for both the app and book. Best to be sure. The Wise Pilgrim app is the one I'll likely go with as it's been spoken about most here, and it was the one I had my eye on before I wrote in here.

Looking forward to this immensely. Now I just hope I won't be broke inside the first week after seeing the prices of a lot of these places haha

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I use both the Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps. I prefer the Buen Camino app, as it has more features, including a stage planner, and it shows you how far you are to the next town as you are walking.
I look at Wise Pilgrim for albergue reviews. Buen Camino has star ratings, but not written reviews. Buen Camino is free, so there is no risk downloading it.

RJM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
A few times
You can purchase the GUIDEBOOK you inquired about on this forum. There is a pilgrim's passport included.

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
How are you all?

I'm doing the Camino Del Norte on Sept 14th starting in Irun and I'm looking around for the best guide book for the trip? I know at this particular moment that every guide book is less accurate than it was but can anyone recommend one for me, please?

I know phones and google maps etc is all very good but having a book means you don't have to worry about loss of signal or dropping it in the toilet! haha If push comes to shove I can use the phone and book, but I'd sooner have the book.

Thank you!

I think Guide Books are a very personal thing in many ways.
It depends what is important to you, and how you like the information presented.
I like a Guide Book with good maps.
So for me, the Wise Pilgrim books don't suit me. (I have the Apps too)
The town maps are far too small to read (as is much of the text) and the stage maps are rather bland with not much useful information, just icons.

I am totally sold on the Brierly guides, purely due to the maps.
Simple, high contrast, with just the right information.
OK, they are sketches more than 'maps' but I find them really good.
I buy those guides just for the maps.

I have others, Raimund Joos, Gerald Kelly, Cicerone, Miam Miam DoDo (terrible maps) Village to Village (quite good maps) etc.

But Brierley are my 'go to' Guides. If only for the maps.
But...........I see he doesn't have one for the Norte! Dang.

But at the end of the day, it's very personal.

Online I use Gronze a lot!

Last edited:

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
To save weight you can get the Brierly maps only book from the forum store.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
To save weight you can get the Brierly maps only book from the forum store.

Yes, I have those too :)

Don't tell Mr B, but because he won't produce digital guide books, I used to tear out the maps, and just carry those. :rolleyes:

Of course it's also possible, in theory,
so I'm told, to scan a guide book and carry your own digital copy on your phone.

That would allow you to zoom in and out too.
Which I imagine could be useful.

But it might breach copyright.
So might not be a good idea.........
Just a thought, for those who perhaps don't want to carry a physical book.
Or those who struggle with ever smaller print in the physical books.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Yes, I have those too :)

Don't tell Mr B, but because he won't produce digital guide books, I used to tear out the maps, and just carry those. :rolleyes:
Except the maps only guide is available in digital form, which really makes no sense. I'd prefer to carry the physical map part, and have the rest on my Kindle app.

Robo

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(May 2018)
VdlP (2022?)
Except the maps only guide is available in digital form, which really makes no sense. I'd prefer to carry the physical map part, and have the rest on my Kindle app.

Very true!
I actually just carry Mr B's stage maps in paper form.
The concertina maps at the front of the books.
It tucks into my passport/credential 'purse'.

I make notes on them, like where I'm staying, places of interest etc.
It's nice to unfold them, and see all the stages 'on a page', for planning purposes and to see what's coming up next.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
Very true!
I actually just carry Mr B's stage maps in paper form.
The concertina maps at the front of the books.
It tucks into my passport/credential 'purse'.

I make notes on them, like where I'm staying, places of interest etc.
It's nice to unfold them, and see all the stages 'on a page', for planning purposes and to see what's coming up next.

Funny that Robo, I do the same. my first time on the Frances I had the Brierley Map Only guide. I really love those maps. Then I use it to make notes on. Good albergues, bad albergues, cafe's, dodgy bits etc. I underline where I I have stayed in Red = bad, Green = great and blue = ok.

(I also mark good freecamping spots, shhhhhhh)!

Next time I walked I copied those notes into a new Map Only guide, then added new info as I went.

I'm now on my 5th Map Only guide which has tons of extra notes now! Plus when other pilgrims see it they all want to copy out my notes!

But I have cheated a bit. I have underlined Granon and San Anton albergues in red as bad places. Because people who knew I really liked these places took note, then walked faster than me and they were full when I got there!

Davey

Daniel Crowe

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
It depends what is important to you, and how you like the information presented.
The town maps are far too small to read (as is much of the text) and the stage maps are rather bland with not much useful information, just icons.

I have others, Raimund Joos, Gerald Kelly, Cicerone, Miam Miam DoDo (terrible maps) Village to Village (quite good maps) etc.

Online I use Gronze a lot

Online I use Gronze a lot!
Gentleman, thanks a lot. I had a Brierley book for the Camino Frances and it was brilliant. He was my immediate go to for this trip as well, but as you say he doesn't have one! Option B so. :)

Daniel Crowe

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
I use both the Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps. I prefer the Buen Camino app, as it has more features, including a stage planner, and it shows you how far you are to the next town as you are walking.
I look at Wise Pilgrim for albergue reviews. Buen Camino has star ratings, but not written reviews. Buen Camino is free, so there is no risk downloading it.

Thanks a lot for that Trecile. Looks like a no-brainer to get that one eh!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads