• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best guide books for the VDLP

Mountainman_oz

Time of past OR future Camino
French way
Hello . . . I am planning on walking this in May/June next year and wonder whether there are any up to date guide books that I should read. Is it too much to hope for that there is an equivalent of John Brierley's book on the Frances route?

Alternatively, any suggestions as to the best maps, walking notes etc would be appreciated. Is the walk reasonably well marked?

Thanks . . Colin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The yellow German Outdoor guide for Via de la Plata was the best updated spring 2011. I used a red German Rotherguide and the 2005 Raju but the yellow Outdoor was the best. The German guidebooks have better maps. There seems to be a new edition every year. I have not seen the new Raju so it might be better. If you can carry two, bring the Raju for background information and another with better maps and descriptions as a walking guide.

Thanks for your ideas. I assume that German Outdoor Guide is in English? As you can gather, I am very new to this so all comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Colin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It would be great if Alison Raju would finish her long awaited new edition of the 2005 book. Depending upon when you are departing it might be worth checking with her publishers to see if the new edition is any closer - the last I heard was late 2013, but then it was promised for early 2012!!
The paperback "el-cheapo" guide books which she edits and publishes via the Confraternity of Saint James are ok - but I found them either too vague or too out of date - errors in the 2009 edition were repeated in 2011 edition. If you are starting from Sevilla then the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla have a spiral bound guidebook similar to Brierley's, but in my opinion not nearly as detailed. Maybe we should all ask John to walk the Silver Way/Mozarab Camino and produce a new book. An alternative are some of the blogs written by pilgrims which are often better that the commercial editions. Buen Camino :cool:

With only 8,100 pilgrims on the VdLP, few speaking English, don't expect any profit-motivated author to write a comprehensive guidebook in English. Maybe John will do it out of love and affection!

Alison Raju walked the St. Olavs way from Oslo to Nidaros this summer to update her guidebook for the pilgrimage to Trondheim. So perhaps she is busy with that at the moment. You do not have to know much German to use the Outdoor books.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With only 8,100 pilgrims on the VdLP, few speaking English, don't expect any profit-motivated author to write a comprehensive guidebook in English. Maybe John will do it out of love and affection!
I would love to do so...just need to find someone to help sponsor me;)!

The Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla also have a recent guidebook. Check out this link for more details:http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/update-via-de-la-plata-guidebook-english.13124/

Also look at the albergue list which Jirit put together with our input. I added some updates in August but don't know if Jirit has included them in the list:http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...lking-schedule-for-the-via-de-la-plata.17077/

Here are also some suggestions in case you read Spanish:http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/via-de-la-plata-hard-map.20185/

Good luck and just ask if you need more help!

I walked part of the VDLP earlier this year and researched many blogs and the UK Confraternity guide and Alison Raju's guide before leaving. All were informative, but in my opinion the best is the guide produced by the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla, as noted by others in reply to this question. It is spiral bound so that when opened out, the map of the stage is shown and below it is the description. Information on the map shows route, profile, degree of difficulty, towns/cities, rivers, adjacent roads and landmarks. On the other page is the description of the route, albergues and other accommodation, bars, pharmacies, ATM's, etc. The book shows the 37 stages to Santiago and the alternative route to Astorga.
The cost is 10 euros when bought in Seville, and it is printed on good quality paper. It is not as detailed as John Brierley's guides, and includes only the information directly about the VDLP, without history, preparation, spirituality etc.
The problem is obtaining a copy before your arrival in Seville, as the Amigos do not accept Visa/MasterCard, and only a bank draft from overseas (which is normally very expensive). I bought my copy in Seville from Triana Backpackers and I emailed them beforehand to let them know that I wanted a copy. They also have Credentials. I believe another source is Hotel Simon and one or two bookshops, and the Amigos. But the Amigos office is only open for limited hours in the evenings on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
I found that on the VDLP there are many new albergues, and the number of pilgrims was much greater than I had read about, mainly German and French, and each day tended to be a race to get to an albergue to get a bed. Many walkers start at 5 am., both to get a bed and to avoid walking during the heat of the day. This was in April, which is probably a popular month to commence.
Send me a message if you wish to know more. David

I should have added that the Amigos guide is published in Spanish, English and French. David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last April/ May I walked from Seville to Ceasar de Carceres using the Eroski information and found it very good. To that point the route was very well way marked. The German Outdoor guide book seems to be the best, the maps are very good. As I hope to return next Spring I got a copy of it from Amazon and hope to get someone to translate the next section I plan to do, but it is not necessary. Last year when John Brierley was in Dublin I asked him if he planned to do a guide book of the Via de la Plata, he said no as it would take all his time to keep the Frances and Portoguese ones up to date. It was my experience also that getting accommodation was a much bigger challenge than finding one's way. It is even more difficult if you are a member of the Snails' Club!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For those interested and have access to the US Amazon, Alison Raju's Feb 2014 guide can now be preordered. The Gerald Kelly's Feb 2013 guide is also available. Buen Camino! -Hieu

Last year on the VdlP I used the Lepère edition (French) guide. In theory it was quite good, with pictures, history etc as well as detailed directions, daily height gain charts etc. The maps let it down a lot, as they were already out of date, even tho' I had the 2011 edition (the A66 & A52 weren't marked, for goodness sake) and I found the tone pretty irritating as well. But in spite of that it was a bit more use than the much more out of date Raju, which I'd used in 2010.

Hi! I have downloaded an app for my iPhone from iTunes that I read about somewhere on the forum. (Not sure where though). It is titled via de la plata and cost $4.49 AU. From my limited time looking at it I am of the opinion that it would be quite helpful to me and that perhaps I don't need anything else. It has offline maps and photographs. The maps take up 73MB and the photographs 320MB
Regards
Cejanus

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry! I forgot to mention that this was also an English version.

Along with Csj and amigos guide books I used Melanie's VDLP App which I thought was fantastic especially on the Sanabres this year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I am compiling a folder of as much info as I can find at this stage, so every bit helps. I intend walking in April next year, by which time (hopefully) the new Raju guide will be out. What does concern me a bit is the rush to get to the next Albergue in order to secure a bed. I have extremely weak night vision and cannot leave until sunrise. If I miss out on a bed, is private accommodation always available? Does anyone know? Thanks, Colin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I am compiling a folder of as much info as I can find at this stage, so every bit helps. I intend walking in April next year, by which time (hopefully) the new Raju guide will be out. What does concern me a bit is the rush to get to the next Albergue in order to secure a bed. I have extremely weak night vision and cannot leave until sunrise. If I miss out on a bed, is private accommodation always available? Does anyone know? Thanks, Colin
Hello Colin

I walked the via de la plata this past April and May. I would suggest that there is small subset of pilgrims that get up early ( before 6:00 am) and leave before sunrise. Normally for some reason they are older and I guess they want the extra time to get to next public albergue in order to secure a bed. I always seemed to arrive to find them there taking an afternoon nap.

The good news is generally there is in most towns and villages at least one form of private accommodation that you can call ahead and reserve a bed or go to should the public albergue be full. My accommodation guide in the Camino Resources generally lists 1-2 private pilgrim style accommodation but in many towns there was 1-2 additional places you could select ( I.e. pensions, hostals) which I did not include on this list.

I created my own English language electronic guidebook and installed this on my iPad along with downloading the app that others have mentioned. But overall I found the coil bound 100 page guidebook available in Seville for 10 euros the most useful thing to have in terms of maps and information (along with my accommodation sheets). I was able to include city maps and other information on my electronic guidebook plus having the iPad meant I could simply look places up if required.

I do plan to update this accommodation guide sometime soon once I am finished working on some other book projects.

Hi Jirit

Thanks for your information. This website, and those who contribute, have been a fantastic source of info for this trip.

Colin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For those interested and have access to the US Amazon, Alison Raju's Feb 2014 guide can now be preordered. The Gerald Kelly's Feb 2013 guide is also available. Buen Camino! -Hieu
Thank you very, very much. Amazon - here I come!! Buen Camino Hieu. :D

Thanks for this alert. I have ordered the Raju guide and hope I receive it before my intended departure in April.
Colin

Thank you very, very much. Amazon - here I come!! Buen Camino Hieu. :D
Hi all - apparently the pre-order facility is only available to US residents. Or at least that's what happened when I tried for 15-20 minutes to get the system to accept my request. Anyone with any tips happy to be informed>>

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Colin - how far in advance were you pre-ordering?? From what I have been able to determine we are talking about a 3-4 month lead time. I have been on Amazon for about 3-5 years so I thought I knew my way around the site but could not get it to allow me to input the details I needed to pre-order. So if someone has a link I would be grateful. :):D

Hola Colin - how far in advance were you pre-ordering?? From what I have been able to determine we are talking about a 3-4 month lead time. I have been on Amazon for about 3-5 years so I thought I knew my way around the site but could not get it to allow me to input the details I needed to pre-order. So if someone has a link I would be grateful. :):D
I am from the USA. So I do not know if this works for other countries. I preordered mine 2 weeks ago. It's supposed to be delivered February 2014.

I went to amazon.com, looked up the book and clicked on "pre-order." Here's the link to the "preorder" page of the book. I've made it shorter with tinyurl. http://tinyurl.com/m5265yr
Buen camino,
Hieu

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A few people mentioned my app - it's available for iPhones, iPads and Droids and should be very up-to-date, as most of the info is from November 2012. I'm also returning in spring 2014 to re-walk the last half, so when you walk it should all be pretty current. The app also offers pilgrims the opportunity to post helpful information they find as they go -- restaurants, hotels, routes, etc. that have opened/closed/changed -- and many pilgrims have done so, so if you buy it make sure to check all of the comments people have posted. Have fun -- you'll love the VDLP!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am from the USA. So I do not know if this works for other countries. I preordered mine 2 weeks ago. It's supposed to be delivered February 2014.
Buen camino,
Hieu
Hola Hieu - As advised I have pre-ordered from Amazon. However I keep in touch with "Cicerone Press" who are Ms Raju's publishers, and they advise that (their) publication date is January 2015. So I would be interested in how Amazon can advise a date almost a year earlier. Cheers S-Mike

Hola Hieu - As advised I have pre-ordered from Amazon. However I keep in touch with "Cicerone Press" who are Ms Raju's publishers, and they advise that (their) publication date is January 2015. So I would be interested in how Amazon can advise a date almost a year earlier. Cheers S-Mike
Thanks for the info Mike. I had also bought from Amazon Gerald Kelly's "Walking Guide to the VIA DE LA PLATA and the CAMINO SANABRES: from Seville to Santiago and Astorga" (Published Feb 2013). It came last week. Seems to be sufficient if the Raju's guide does not come in time for my April 2014 departure. Buen camino, Hieu

Thanks for the info Mike. I had also bought from Amazon Gerald Kelly's "Walking Guide to the VIA DE LA PLATA and the CAMINO SANABRES: from Seville to Santiago and Astorga" (Published Feb 2013). It came last week. Seems to be sufficient if the Raju's guide does not come in time for my April 2014 departure. Buen camino, Hieu
Yes I have one of his books - so may investigate his guide to the Silver Way. Its becomming a "never ending story" this long awaited revised/updated Guide to the Via de la Plata by A Raju. In fact since her first edition was published in 2005 (meaning its probably based on 2003/4 experiences) the next edition will (or should) be a complete re-write as so much has changed in the intervening years. (Hey Alison - how about putting us out of our misery and advise that you are not going to do a follow-up!!!!) Cheers.:(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm walking vldp in April also. Looks like I might have some company.
: )

I have the Gerald Kelly guide on me iPod. I first had to upload the kindle app. I hate the weight of the guides so this will work just fine for me. Seems to be fairly detailed, decent maps, and and the weight is perfect!

This year I bought a small blank book. I then went to the Eroski website and cut/pasted and printed the info I needed. I then pasted that into my own personal guidebook. It was awesome! Here is a link to my blog showing how I did it.

Hola Anni - I have previously been on the eroski site - but my Spanish is not that good. I note that it is available in other languages - but does not appear to be available in English. Any tips/advise on an English version?? Gracias;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola Anni - I have previously been on the eroski site - but my Spanish is not that good. I note that it is available in other languages - but does not appear to be available in English. Any tips/advise on an English version?? Gracias;)

Mike, I cut and pasted each paragraph that I did not understand onto Google Translate and managed to read the entire site! :p

The yellow German Outdoor guide for Via de la Plata was the best updated spring 2011. I used a red German Rotherguide and the 2005 Raju but the yellow Outdoor was the best. The German guidebooks have better maps. There seems to be a new edition every year. I have not seen the new Raju so it might be better. If you can carry two, bring the Raju for background information and another with better maps and descriptions as a walking guide.
Can you tell me if the yellow German guidebook includes the route through Ourense? I did the VdlP through Astorga in 2011. Am going to do it again in April-May, 2014 and intend to go through Ourense.

Can you tell me if the yellow German guidebook includes the route through Ourense? I did the VdlP through Astorga in 2011. Am going to do it again in April-May, 2014 and intend to go through Ourense.
Hei , the Rotherguide had both ways, that's why I chose it. I would guess that the Outdoor guide has too. Seems to me that the way through Ourense is the common way. Mine added the Astorga route at the end. If you search on www.amazon.de for the Outdoor guide you will be able to see the first pages and the sections I think. I went the Astorga way in 2011 too because there were so many people on the road and the albergues were full all the time. If i go back and walk the other route i will bring the Outdoor guidebook even if i do not speak German.
Randi

Hi . .

I have since purchased a copy of the guide book from "Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla". This is in English and has good maps, and basic info on what each town has by way of accommodation, supplies etc. It was updated in 2011. I have spoken to previous walkers who have used this guide and recommend it.

I have also found a couple of useful apps.

Via de la Plata. Although for cyclists, it contains good info, photos and contact numbers for hostels and hotels along the way.
VDLP. This is specifically for walkers and has excellent trail commentary, photos etc.

They both have integrated maps and if lost, you can plot your position from the GPS and see how far you have deviated from the trail.

I hope this helps
Regards, Colin

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back