A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Best guide for VDLP beginner?

Camino(s) past & future
CF: September 2013 & April/ May 2014
CF: April/May 2016
Just wondering which guides either books or on line people found most helpful in beginning to plan walking the last part of the VDLP from Salamanca?

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: See post signature.
Upcoming: ?+VdlP (Sept 2018)
I use Kelly's book together with Gronze info and GPS-tracks provided by Kelly. From when you get out of Salamanca (just straight from leaving the last mark at Plaza Mayor without any arrows) it had been very well marked. Those who had started from Zamora had papers with all albergues from the turist office guess they have those in Salamanca as well.

Now and then I have consulted the German guide if someone has it in the albergues. As it has info of things to see on the way, landmarks to look out for on long lonely stretches. I just mark then down in my book.

Flem

"The old man"
Camino(s) past & future
2015 Frances
2016 Finisterre-Muxia, Portogues
2017 del Norte, Ingles
(2018 Via de la Plata)
Just wondering which guides either books or on line people found most helpful in beginning to plan walking the last part of the VDLP from Salamanca?

Please note that somewhwere themarks - arerows stones and so is not that good. Somewhete ig is les that none.

And do remember that do to the freeway and railtracks the route is changed.

By the way on a closed lokal railway they kind of made a new VdlP. But check in at Bar Borox in Barvial dem Barco. He is kind to give a map over the new VdlP into Benaventa..

P Rat

Camino(s) past & future
Camino VDLP april (april2019)
Just a heads up to mention that I am working on a Wise Pilgrim guide for the Via de la Plata, to be printed in January.
We are leaving Australia in March 2019 to walk the Via de la Plata beginning in April. How do we know when the book is ready? We would be interested!

Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
We are leaving Australia in March 2019 to walk the Via de la Plata beginning in April. How do we know when the book is ready? We would be interested!
Wise pilgrim says it should be available from January, I certainly hope so.

Last edited:

P Rat

Camino(s) past & future
Sorry, let me rephrase: how do we know it is ready to be ordered? Will it be advertised here? I would not want to miss it...:)

Camino(s) past & future
camino Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Final pilgrimage Sept 2018...Via de la Plata
Jennyat53...i have just finished the vdlp/sanabres caminos today and am sat in a bar in santiago ( soaking wet after the first days rain i have seen since Seville )....anyway , all i used was the via de la plata premium ..app.....£1.99 and the Sanabres basic..app....free ....both from google play store . I did not have nor need anything else and as i say i am sat in Santiago now . Hope this helps you and have a great time .

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
St Jean - Finisterre (August 2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (January 2015)
Bilbao - Santander (May 2015)
St Jean - Sahgún (2nd Sept - 20 Sept 2015)
León - Sarria (26/12/2015 - 04/01/2016)
Lisbon - Tomar (02/04/16 - 10/04/16)
Pau - Pamplona (August 2016)
Gronze is really helpful, and reading threads on this forum. The Kelly book is useful, but I found the layout a bit confusing at time, and sometimes not quite accurate (but I emailed him - and the new/next edition I'm sure will be event better).

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
Just a heads up to mention that I am working on a Wise Pilgrim guide for the Via de la Plata, to be printed in January.
Just wanted to wish you good luck with your new guide! Welcome to the Via family! I didn't know you had walked the Via. How did you get on?

Gerald

Camino(s) past & future
That’s so exciting Wisepilgrim. I have the apps for your other Caminos. Any chance this might be in app form by February or is that a step too far .
Once printed how quickly might one be able to access one in Australia do you think?

Gillean

Camino(s) past & future
Seven
I liked the guidebook published by Bicigrino. Although aimed at cyclists I found it excellent for walkers. The maps were especially good. Unfortunately it seems to be out of print now although I saw copies in Spanish bookstores along the Via de la Plata this past June. The Amigos in Seville publish a guidebook with a translation available in English but I don't believe it has been updated since 2011.

Camino(s) past & future
Many
That’s so exciting Wisepilgrim. I have the apps for your other Caminos. Any chance this might be in app form by February or is that a step too far .
Once printed how quickly might one be able to access one in Australia do you think?
It will definitely be in app form by February. Australia is usually 2 weeks by post, plus or minus depending how far you live from your local service.

Camino(s) past & future
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Best news ever. Many thanks again!
It will definitely be in app form by February. Australia is usually 2 weeks by post, plus or minus depending how far you live from your local service.
I already have the Wise Pilgrim app for the VDLP, I'm assuming that the new year version will be an update, is that correct?

handzondeck2

Camino(s) past & future
CF (x2); VdLP (x4); Portuguese (x2); Madrid (x2); S/Salvador, Primitivo, Ingles ('17) Camino 19 tba
HI P Rat where is Australia do you live. I walked the VldP 4th time this year and would be happy to pass on some information. I ran a blog www.handzondeck.worpress.com and it has some accommodation information. Feel free to check it out and PM me if you need information.

P Rat

Camino(s) past & future
HI P Rat where is Australia do you live. I walked the VldP 4th time this year and would be happy to pass on some information. I ran a blog www.handzondeck.worpress.com and it has some accommodation information. Feel free to check it out and PM me if you need information.
Thanks handzondeck. We're in Brisbane :) I am mainly after extra sights, really would regret walking the Via de Plata only to realise at the end we missed some monument/landmark etc along the way! Bigger towns not an issue, more the little hidden gems...
Will have a look at your link! Thanks very much

P Rat

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks handzondeck. We're in Brisbane :) I am mainly after extra sights, really would regret walking the Via de Plata only to realise at the end we missed some monument/landmark etc along the way! Bigger towns not an issue, more the little hidden gems...
Will have a look at your link! Thanks very much
Actually, as an aside I want to pick your brain: our daughter is joining us from UK for just a few days. She is considering Salamanca to Zamora as this gives doable transport options. Is that an interesting part to walk? (Our son will also join us from Salamanca but he'll most likely continue to the end with us. Random info but very happy adult kids are happy to spend time with the rents...hahah)

handzondeck2

Camino(s) past & future
CF (x2); VdLP (x4); Portuguese (x2); Madrid (x2); S/Salvador, Primitivo, Ingles ('17) Camino 19 tba
Actually, as an aside I want to pick your brain: our daughter is joining us from UK for just a few days. She is considering Salamanca to Zamora as this gives doable transport options. Is that an interesting part to walk? (Our son will also join us from Salamanca but he'll most likely continue to the end with us. Random info but very happy adult kids are happy to spend time with the rents...hahah)
The stretch from Salamanca to El Cubo del Vino is very barren with hardly any shade and only two small towns. No fountains and you need to carry a minimum of 1.5lt water. It's 36km however, there is Albergue accommodation at 15 km in Calzalda. It's a bit of a slog to get out of Salamanca almost 9km before you get to a dirt Camino path. So, you need to be careful of traffic.

Camino(s) past & future
The stretch from Salamanca to El Cubo del Vino is very barren with hardly any shade and only two small towns. No fountains and you need to carry a minimum of 1.5lt water. It's 36km however, there is Albergue accommodation at 15 km in Calzalda. It's a bit of a slog to get out of Salamanca almost 9km before you get to a dirt Camino path. So, you need to be careful of traffic.
How did you find the albergue accommodation is Calzalda Handzondeck2? We are in Canberra and are planning to walk from Salamanca to SDC via Ourense in February 2019. We are unlikely to average more than 20-24 km per day and would be particularly keen to learn anything that might make our journey more enjoyable.

Camino(s) past & future
Yes, I was afraid of that. Can you suggest a more interesting section if she wanted to join us for just a few days? (with access from and to Madrid airport, or a smaller airport). While the guide books give route descriptions there is not that much to find on the actual scenery. I'll keep reading and searching, we have a bit of time :)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%