• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best hotel near Madrid airport T4

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
Just wondering about pilgrims' preferred accommodation options close to T4 Madrid airport for those morning flights? Any suggestions much appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This camino I stayed at the Hotel Villa de Barajas (Best Western Hotel). Booked through booking.com. Very nice, clean, great full breakfast, quiet, free airport shuttle. Nice little cafe directly across the street. Lots of little shops around. I paid 60euro. See photos. I paid around 22euro for a taxi from Gran Via to the hotel (only because I had/have tendonitis and had trouble walking stairs)

Last camino I stayed at the Axor Barajas only because my husband had stayed there the year before. It ended up being in an industrial area and you are a captive audience though it was comfortable because they gave me a king suite and it did have free airport shuttle. I paid 80euro. I think the metro and a bus from Gran Via to the Axor was about 4 euro combined.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 5
A more important question is how you will get to the airport in the morning.

Cercanias and Metro provide access from all over Madrid ... so closeness to the airport isn't really a factor.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Jenyat53,

After my Camino Frances in 2014, I stayed overnight at Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto prior to my flight back to Sydney. They have a courtesy bus that picks up their guests from the airport. The following day I took the same hotel bus to the airport. The hotel is nice and is near the Metro station to the city if you have time to check out Madrid for a few hours.
!Buen Camino!

I've stayed at Hostel Viky which is very close to the airport. Nice, clean, room with private bathroom for around $50. Free shuttle to and from airport. Just phone them upon arrival and schedule a time for return.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just wondering about pilgrims' preferred accommodation options close to T4 Madrid airport for those morning flights? Any suggestions much appreciated.

I stayed at both Viky and Barajas Plaza. While the Viky has a shuttle and BP does not, BP was much nicer and, if I remember correctly, cheaper. There is a city bus that takes you directly to the terminal. It leaves from the town plaza, a two minute walk, and only costs a euro and change. One thing about the Viky. The was constantly a whole cloud of some kind of flies buzzing around in the little lobby. There were omnipresent and seemed to be in some sort of suspended animation right by the check in counter inside the door.

Beware: some hotels advertise a free shuttle, but it is only within certain hours, so check the times when you book!

I'll second the recommendation for staying in Madrid close to the Puerta del Sol. That way you can see some of the city, enjoy a good meal, and spend some time hanging around in a cafe and just soaking up the great night atmosphere. To get to T4 from Sol, it's about a half hour Cercanías ride (with a change at Chamartín train station, but it is a simple transfer). I personally wouldn't give that up to save a few minutes in the morning, unless I had to be at the airport at the crack of dawn. When I spend a night in Madrid before a flight home, I don't have to be at the airport any earlier than 9 am, and it's easy to get up at a reasonable hour, have my last café con leche, and get on a Cercanías to get me to the airport in plenty of time. I like the train over metro or bus, just because it is so much more regular and precise with its schedules. I know some people just like to be out near the airport for convenience, but with the excellent Madrid public transit system, it really isn't that much more convenient to stay out there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beware: some hotels advertise a free shuttle, but it is only within certain hours, so check the times when you book!
The shuttle at the hotel that I've booked at starts at 4:00 am. Should be just right for my 6:15 flight.

I personally wouldn't give that up to save a few minutes in the morning, unless I had to be at the airport at the crack of dawn.

I agree, but I do have to be at the airport at the crack of dawn, so...
I plan to spend a couple of days in Madrid before and after the Camino, so one night away from the center will be okay.

I'll second the recommendation for staying in Madrid close to the Puerta del Sol. That way you can see some of the city, enjoy a good meal, and spend some time hanging around in a cafe and just soaking up the great night atmosphere. To get to T4 from Sol, it's about a half hour Cercanías ride (with a change at Chamartín train station, but it is a simple transfer). I personally wouldn't give that up to save a few minutes in the morning, unless I had to be at the airport at the crack of dawn. When I spend a night in Madrid before a flight home, I don't have to be at the airport any earlier than 9 am, and it's easy to get up at a reasonable hour, have my last café con leche, and get on a Cercanías to get me to the airport in plenty of time. I like the train over metro or bus, just because it is so much more regular and precise with its schedules. I know some people just like to be out near the airport for convenience, but with the excellent Madrid public transit system, it really isn't that much more convenient to stay out there.

I agree about staying in Sol. The area around Hostel Viky is very boring compared to Puerta del Sol.

If it is just a hotel night stay, with no hope of actually seeing the town because you arrive at 11pm and have to depart the next day at 10am, and by best you mean kind of luxurious... then check out the Hilton Madrid Airport. They pick you up when you call. They drop you off with regularly scheduled shuttle services. I've been there 3 or 4 times... Now, its a little pricey, especially after having spent nights for 6 euro. But they have cool, ultra modern accommodations. Easy peasy too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year, I was planning to spend 4 days in Madrid after taking a Spanish course in Barcelona. I was going to "wing it" and get a hotel last minute. Before I left, it seemed that I could easily get a hotel for less than $100/night. But, I wasn't counting on a huge convention being in town! A couple of days before I was to take the train to Madrid I saw that the prices had skyrocketed up to €800 per night. Even hostels were over €200 per night. I decided to stay in Barcelona a couple more days because I had affordable accommodation there, but I had a flight from Madrid, so I needed to spend one night there. It wasn't a early morning departure, and I did not want to be out by the airport. Somehow I found this place, Hostal Dominguez on a hostel website. The price? €35/night with air conditioning and private bathroom. It was in a great location, about 15 minutes walk to Puerta del Sol. I did have to lug my suitcase up a couple of flights of stairs, but the proprietor really looked out for me. I asked if they could call me a taxi for 8:30 in the morning, so I was surprised as I got out of the shower to hear a knock on my door around 7:45. They had called the taxi company, and insisted that I must leave earlier, because of very bad traffic. I got my stuff together and was ready to go in about 15 minutes. The taxi driver was there, and hustled me and belongings into the taxi. I wouldn't have had such concern had I stayed at a large impersonal hotel.

I look for a free shuttle to and from the airport and overnight lodging. Recently, I stayed at Hostal Viky. I can endorse the comments above. It is clean and well run, but basic. The proprietress speaks very good English.

I checked out, and the next time I must overnight at Madrid before returning home, I will likely use the IBIS hotel located about a kilometer closer in towards Madrid (farther from the airport). It is slightly more expensive, but they have a shuttle AND onsite dining and breakfast. Hostal Viky has no dining possibilities.

I prefer and am willing to pay for convenience, especially when I am on my way home. This is NOT a criticism of Hostal Viky. It was just a tad Spartan for the circumstances. There are restaurants and cafes a short walk from Hostal Viky.

FYI, IBIS hotels are part of the Accor chain, across Europe. They can be booked directly, or like Hostal Viky, through www.Booking.com.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back