• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best IOS Apple app for coastal route from Lisbon

Derek Webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte 2018
Last year I walked the Northern Route Camino and found it worth all the effort and much, much more.
I saw a number for fellow pilgrims using apps on their smart phones.
I am seeking such an app for the Portuguese Camino, and would very much appreciate advice from people who have used one.
I noticed on the northern route their appeared to be a number on offer. I am guessing the Camino Portuguese will be similar. Experience of the product rather than sales hype would be much appreciated.
Derek Webber
New Zealand

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
we used the Ride With GPS- Bike Computer but I'm sure there are many better apps. There's a 5euro trial for a week and that's what we used.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wise Pilgrim app and the Buen Camino app. Buen Camino is free maybe Wise Pilgrim too, There is also Gronze.com. Plenty of free information and maps and GPS

Last year I walked the Northern Route Camino and found it worth all the effort and much, much more.
I saw a number for fellow pilgrims using apps on their smart phones.
I am seeking such an app for the Portuguese Camino, and would very much appreciate advice from people who have used one.
I noticed on the northern route their appeared to be a number on offer. I am guessing the Camino Portuguese will be similar. Experience of the product rather than sales hype would be much appreciated.
Derek Webber
New Zealand
Hi, Derek,

Welcome to the forum. Just to clarify — are you looking for information on the coastal route out of Lisbon? Or are you leaving from Lisbon and planning to walk the coastal route from Porto? I ask because there are actually two alternative routes from Lisbon that connect up with the “regular” Central caminho portugues.

First is the coastal caminho, but note that very little of it is actually on the coast.
The Caminho do Mar from Lisbon has this routing: Lisbon-Estoril-Sintra-Mafra-Torres Vedras-Bombarral-Caldas da Rainha-Alcobaça-Fátima. You still need one more step to get to Tomar (you can use the bus) or Ansião, to find the Caminho Central.

Then there is the trail of sands, which does actually go along the coast.

Check out all the threads in the coastal caminho subforum if this is in fact the route you are interested in.

I know this is confusing, but references to the “coastal caminho from Lisbon” are always ambiguous because of the many possibilities.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back