• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best jacket

LiliM

Time of past OR future Camino
I do plan to walk my first Camino in May 2017
Hi everyone,

I have just a quick question please: what would be the best jacket to take in May so I won't be either too cold or too hot?

Thank you in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, great question and a good time to ask, after you get recommendations, the first of the year sales will be in progress! I think many people prefer layers vs one heavier jacket. If at all possible, try the jacket on and even better if you can try it with your pack, to get a sense of how mobile and easy it is to access pockets and hoods.

Several forum members recommend the Marmot Precip -- I bought one based on their suggestions and used it as a top layer and on its own October and November. Hope this helps and other's will offer some great advice, too.

not sure about best but I've used a Northface Gortex jacket (shell with no lining) on both of my Caminos and was happy with that outer waterproof performance. In the winter I layered with a Merino Long sleeved shirt, a normal long sleeved button-up and a medium weight fleece. In April/May I layered with a light Icebreaker Merino shirt and when necessary a lightweight Northface Thermoball jacket. Lots of options if you choose your layers to match the season and climate you're are traveling through. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My daughter and I both have REI brand Rhyolite rain jacket. It's not lined but we've backpacked in Canada in October with it in snow with a sweater underneath and in warmer weather with notrhing but a t-shirt. We love it. Kept us dry in downpours, warm in cold and windy weather and cool enough walking at a quick pace in warmer temps! In our opinion it can't be beat for the money. Cheaper than some of the other bigger name brands and more reliable. And we always love REI's satisfaction guarantee. Buy it now and try it out before you go. They'll take it back if you're not happy with it. No questions asked. (We also are beginning our first Camino in May.)

I walked in April and May with a Marmot Precip jacket. I wore it most every day until near the end, mostly as a top layer. I had a merino t shirt, a merino long sleeve, and a light fleece under on cool days. This worked well for me. It also kept me reasonably dry in the rain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
what would be the best jacket to take in May so I won't be either too cold or too hot?
If you can tell us what the weather will be, then we can answer! ;)

It is a mistake to expect your jacket to do that all by itself! Your jacket does need to be waterproof (unless you are taking a poncho for that purpose). For warmth you should use a combination of fairly thin layers that also serve on their own when you need less warmth. So, you need a light layer for the evenings and to sleep in, that is not used during the day (except in emergency) and is kept dry. You should have several layers available for mixing and matching during the day - maybe a t-shirt, a light weight long sleeved shirt, a light fleece or merino, and your waterproof jacket. That's all you need. Wear everything if it is cold; put it in your backpack if it is warm.

I take a very lightweight waterproof jacket - the combination of layers is the best solution.

Are you asking about a rain jacket or an insulating jacket? Last May I brought a fleece jacket that was a little too thick. Heading out in the morning, it got too warm very quickly while it was still too cool to walk without it. So I dropped it in a give-away box at an albergue and bought a thinner fleece jacket. Thin fleece with a well-vented rain jacket is the best combo, I think.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Are you asking about a rain jacket or an insulating jacket? Last May I brought a fleece jacket that was a little too thick. Heading out in the morning, it got too warm very quickly while it was still too cool to walk without it. So I dropped it in a give-away box at an albergue and bought a thinner fleece jacket. Thin fleece with a well-vented rain jacket is the best combo, I think.
Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I have just a quick question please: what would be the best jacket to take in May so I won't be either too cold or too hot?

Thank you in advance!

I think from all the responses there is a clear indication that 'layering' is the key. My wife and I use very lightweight unlined gortex rain jackets that breath really well and give great rain protection. (Walked both times in May)

In this video she is modelling her 'layers' ;) Fast forward to about 6:30 for the bit on layers.. (In English and Thai)

http://robscamino.com/2016/camino-equipment/

I wear exactly the same gear, and it's worked great for me on 2 Caminos so far in temperatures of 0-35 degrees C..

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Hi LiliM, I am planning to walk the full CF around the same time as you next year. I've done no end of research about which jacket would be most suitable. There are lots of videos on YouTube of people on the Camino in May, the unfortunate part is that they appear to be encountering just about every weather situation from snow, hail and heavy rain to walking in shorts and thin T shirts in brilliant sunshine. I've just finished trying a few practise walks in an unlined waterproof and whilst it was good at keeping the wind out it just didn't breathe well enough around the should straps and in way of my backpack. I'm opting for a poncho as my wet weather gear but for the cold, dry mornings I'm coming round to the view that the new range of lightweight, compressible hypo/hydro insulated jackets may be the answer. Something like the Rab Alpine Ultralight is what all my local shops are recommending to me. Weight to warmth ratio is apparently far superior to a fleece, importantly it compresses into a tennis ball sized stuff bag and weighs practically nothing. Most of these types of jacket are windproof and showerproof and certainly good enough between 5-17 degrees C, but would not hold up to the constant rainfall where you need the full on wet weather protection. Buen Camino

My wife and I used similar light-weight rain jackets from EMS on our Camino Frances trip from mid-May to mid-July, fortunately mainly for early morning warmth. Although we didn't encounter much rain on the camino, even in Galicia, we have gotten soaked on other trips and they perform well. That said, I've seen the Marmot PreCip and it and the EMS jackets seem very similar. If I lost the EMS one I have now I would replace it with the Marmot mainly for one feature that the EMS jacket is missing, the hood can be stored inside the collar. Besides making the jacket look more presentable when it isn't raining it keeps the hood from filling up with water when wearing a hat instead of the hood. Also, when the jacket is being worn as a windbreaker the hood isn't blown around when inside the collar.

There is a review of the PreCip here: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Reviews/Marmot-PreCip

In mid-May going over the Pyrennes or early on after you may possibly want some extra warmth. Consider bringing an old sweatshirt or fleece that you can discard when no longer needed.

I think from all the responses there is a clear indication that 'layering' is the key. My wife and I use very lightweight unlined gortex rain jackets that breath really well and give great rain protection.

In this video she is modelling her 'layers' ;) Fast forward to about 6:30 (In English and Thai)

http://robscamino.com/2016/camino-equipment/

I wear exactly the same gear, and it's worked great for me on 2 Caminos so far in temperatures of 0-35 degrees C..
Lots of layers! :) Thank you for sharing!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi LiliM, I am planning to walk the full CF around the same time as you next year. I've done no end of research about which jacket would be most suitable. There are lots of videos on YouTube of people on the Camino in May, the unfortunate part is that they appear to be encountering just about every weather situation from snow, hail and heavy rain to walking in shorts and thin T shirts in brilliant sunshine. I've just finished trying a few practise walks in an unlined waterproof and whilst it was good at keeping the wind out it just didn't breathe well enough around the should straps and in way of my backpack. I'm opting for a poncho as my wet weather gear but for the cold, dry mornings I'm coming round to the view that the new range of lightweight, compressible hypo/hydro insulated jackets may be the answer. Something like the Rab Alpine Ultralight is what all my local shops are recommending to me. Weight to warmth ratio is apparently far superior to a fleece, importantly it compresses into a tennis ball sized stuff bag and weighs practically nothing. Most of these types of jacket are windproof and showerproof and certainly good enough between 5-17 degrees C, but would not hold up to the constant rainfall where you need the full on wet weather protection. Buen Camino

Thank you clivespicer! I will probably see you around in May :)

Buen Camino!

My wife and I used similar light-weight rain jackets from EMS on our Camino Frances trip from mid-May to mid-July, fortunately mainly for early morning warmth. Although we didn't encounter much rain on the camino, even in Galicia, we have gotten soaked on other trips and they perform well. That said, I've seen the Marmot PreCip and it and the EMS jackets seem very similar. If I lost the EMS one I have now I would replace it with the Marmot mainly for one feature that the EMS jacket is missing, the hood can be stored inside the collar. Besides making the jacket look more presentable when it isn't raining it keeps the hood from filling up with water when wearing a hat instead of the hood. Also, when the jacket is being worn as a windbreaker the hood isn't blown around when inside the collar.

There is a review of the PreCip here: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jacket-Reviews/Marmot-PreCip

In mid-May going over the Pyrennes or early on after you may possibly want some extra warmth. Consider bringing an old sweatshirt or fleece that you can discard when no longer needed.

Thank you Rick! :)

Costco has lightweight (about 8 ounces) down jackets for women on sale now for $19.99! Regular price $24.99. They also have a men's lightweight down shirt jacket. I bought one for my husband for Christmas, but it's already wrapped, so I can't weight it. If I walked during a colder season I would probably take mine.
However when I walked in August/September it wasn't that cold, apart from a couple of days when it was just a few degrees above freezing. I was perfectly warm in a thin merino wool sweater and a very light, not fleece hoodie from Uniqlo. As others have mentioned light layers are the way to go.
For rain I made this "parcho" from a kit from Quest Outfitters. It worked perfectly to keep me and my pack dry. I also carried a Euroschirm hands free umbrella, which I used for rain and sun - perfect for the Meseta!

ETA: I forgot to mention that in addition to the two layers above I also brought a 3 ounce Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite windbreaker.

Last edited:
I am partial to my Enduro Luminite II bicycle jacket, that is both versatile, light and waterproof/breathing, as well as bright traffic safe yellow. Serves me well when walking near traffic in dim lighting, packs down nicely.
The very newest model is of even lighter material. Not too costly....

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Costco has lightweight (about 8 ounces) down jackets for women on sale now for $19.99! Regular price $24.99. They also have a men's lightweight down shirt jacket. I bought one for my husband for Christmas, but it's already wrapped, so I can't weight it. If I walked during a colder season I would probably take mine.
However when I walked in August/September it wasn't that cold, apart from a couple of days when it was just a few degrees above freezing. I was perfectly warm in a thin merino wool sweater and a very light, not fleece hoodie from Uniqlo. As others have mentioned light layers are the way to go.
For rain I made this "parcho" from a kit from Quest Outfitters. It worked perfectly to keep me and my pack dry. I also carried a Euroschirm hands free umbrella, which I used for rain and sun - perfect for the Meseta!

ETA: I forgot to mention that in addition to the two layers above I also brought a 3 ounce Mountain Hardwear Ghost Lite windbreaker.
Thank you trecile! Very useful post, as usual :)

I am partial to my Enduro Luminite II bicycle jacket, that is both versatile, light and waterproof/breathing, as well as bright traffic safe yellow. Serves me well when walking near traffic in dim lighting, packs down nicely.
The very newest model is of even lighter material. Not too costly....
Thank you Stivandrer!

...forgot to say that I esp like the close fit to body that a bicycle jacket has. I originally brought a Haglöfs LIM jacket GoreTex n´all but had to much space between body and jacket and thus more condensation problems than I have with my present Luminite jacket..
Assure yourself, however with getting sufficient specs, measured in mm pressure on the cloth. There will be a number for incoming vapour pressure (waterproofing) and a number for outgoing pressure ( breathability)
It should be at least 10.000 mm each way to take an hours rain or more ......

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In May along Norte we had light weight down jacket and unlined gortex jackets that when combined was a mighty warm dry jacket. Rarely used - but essential when needed.

My most flexible outerwear was a very lightweight marmot vest that was wind protective and a little rain resistant worn over a 200 weight merino zip neck sweater over a very light weight merino t shirt. This combo was a good early morning to early evening solution on mostly dry days and bits would come on and off during day.

Continuing on with the layering theme: my favorite go to piece for a shell is the Patagonia Alpine Houdini. The thing weighs 6.6 ozs packs into nothing is sometimes (now) on sale through their website for 50% off.

Sometimes you need the jacket on, and sometimes you need to take it off.

The elements a jacket should protect you for is; Wind, Cold and Rain.
I used a Gortex jacket with soft shell against light rain, with zippers for air ventilation.

Mornings can be chilly, but before noon a jacket could be too warm, so then take it off and just wear long sleeve shirt.
My best advice is to carry two (2) pair of long sleeve functional shorts since a) they Dont weight much and b) it can be a hazzle to wash every day.
(And when in comes to wool socks like merino, they don't dry overnight when it's not summer. I had to put them outside my bag during my walk to dry).

For light/heavy rain I used a rain cover for the back pack.
Also had an extra, non fancy, ultralight/ultrathin jacket/trousers set (only 20€), as hard shell protection, when my Gortex jacket could not protect me from the heavy rain.
Total weight I carried was 6,5 kg incl 40l back pack not including water.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked the North May 2016, I don't know about the best but I used a RAB Latok Alpine, its relative light waterproof 3 layers e-vent fabric don't matter how hard I pushed I was not all sweaty inside wearing this, on cold days I had a long sleeve merino, 260 Icebreaker hoodie under the Latok and I was very comfortable.

Zzotte

Walked in mid September to end October with what I thought was a rather expensive ultralight, single layer North Face rain jacket. Fantastic as my warm layer as I could not stand wearing my similarly expensive ultralight fleece which for me was mostly too warm and too synthetic, as in not breathable. I wore my rain jacket every morning and every evening and warmed my hands in its pockets. The catch, and it's a reasonably big catch, was that on days when it rained steadily for hours on end the expensive rain jacket was completely useless. Wet from head to toe. Luckily we only had a few days of that sort of weather and no consecutive days so we coped and surprisingly well. But next time I'm taking a far cheaper Rainbird jacket and if the weather turns real bad I'll buy an Altus cape somewhere along the way.

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Columbia Sportswear makes the best jackets to take on the Camino.......look at their website, they have lots of choices!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Northern Spain starts to warm up quickly from April/May onwards during the day but still can be wet occasionally, I think any kind of 3 layer hard shell (Gore-Tex Pro for example or even eVent 3 layer etc) is probably a bit too much. I don't have enough fingers to count the times I've been to Spain, including trips in February and March and it has genuinely never rained at all, apart from a trip to Bilbao one October a few years ago to run in the marathon.... it rained torrentially for 48hrs solid so I spent the weekend drinking beer and gin instead, shame on me. I accept that's entirely a fluke though and others have been to Spain and it has done nothing but rain for them with not even one day of sunshine.

Some kind of Gore-Tex Windstopper softshell would be my advice with the back-up option of some kind of light Gore-Tex Active/Paclite (or equivalent) hardshell jacket & trousers that fold up in to their own pouches, weigh maybe a couple of hundreds grams, may never even get used and stay at the bottom of your pack but might prove their worth on a couple of days.

BC! :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.