A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Best kindle Guide for CF or is an app better?

2020 Camino Guides

mistermike

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago May-July 2019
I fly out in 2 days. Can't find my paper book by John Brierley and not sure I want the weight when I have a perfectly good phone with kindle installed. Only I cant see that book for Kindle! Any suggestions for CF guide on Kindle or even an App for Android? Thanks!

mistermike

Camino(s) past & future
You can go for Wisely - Camino Places app for Android.
It was recommended by Ivar, founder of this forum, and the producer is a member (
Thanks. I see see it has 1.7 stars in 3 reviews - ouch. I just had a play with it and I have the same laggy issues with it. You move the map and wait a up to 3 seconds for the map to move. I am downloading the offline version, the lag may be web based.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Brierley 's book weighs in at a hefty 300 grams not something you should be worried about - both the app and the book are only really needed for lodging and distances so save your battery for instigram and facebook and use your eyes for the scenery and the sights. You can pick up a new book in Pamplona at the "Caminoteca" store, Calle Curia, 15 up by the cathedral.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
I am downloading the offline version, the lag may be web based.
Ouch, that is indeed bad :/ Other users in the forum had lag, while some said it was smooth. If you use the search bar, I'm sure other opotions will appear.

As Scruffy said, you also probably can get a new book in Spain.

mistermike

Camino(s) past & future
I tried downloading the data for offline a few times but it failed every time. I'm betting it's one of those "It run great on apple but awful on Android" kind of deals. A few photography apps I was looking at ran much better on an old apple over an android.

Reactions: Sho

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I like the Buen Camino app. It has never crashed for me.

I also have a couple of guides on my Kindle app - each guide has a little bit of different information that's helpful.

I have also used the Forwalk.org website a lot.

backpack45scb

Camino(s) past & future
2001 CF, 04-6 LP, 07 Port, 08-10 Arles, 11 Mozá,12-13 Gen-LP. 00-10 PCT, 15 Norte, 16 Primi
I think that Moon guide treckle mentioned is by far the best Kindle guide. On apps I've used Wise Pilgrim for Norte and was impressed. I assume their CF guide is also good.

Mera

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France, Camino del Norte, Camino de Madrid
Camino Porto, Camino Primitivo
I fly out in 2 days. Can't find my paper book by John Brierley and not sure I want the weight when I have a perfectly good phone with kindle installed. Only I cant see that book for Kindle! Any suggestions for CF guide on Kindle or even an App for Android? Thanks!
I am currently using Wisley. It's been so helpful. Especially when I am not on the correct way.

Camino(s) past & future
Lourdes/Burgos/SdeC (by train) 77; Frances 12,15,17; Finisterre 17; Lourdes/Aragones 18; Meseta 19.
You can get Brierley on Kindle, I believe!

But I'd just visit the Caminoteca shop in Pamplona and buy a hard-copy, myselff.... (I'm old-school....)

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
There are a ton of apps. Some good ones are Wisely+, Buen Camino and Camino Pilgrim. For the Kindle, I found the Village to Village guide useful and The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: the Complete Cultural Handbook.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
Used Wise on the CdN and CP, it was seamless!
Besides I know the author and think the world of how he continuously researches his updates.

JAMM

Camino(s) past & future
Not enough
If anyone has been on the road in 2019/2018, any suggestions for the app (apple) you found most useful on the Francés, particularly inside Galicia, would be most appreciated. I am hoping to use the phone as little as possible and would rather stick to a single app rather than move across several (or else I fear my short route will be spent on the gadget comparing notes and 'researching' rather than on the far more important things like the actual road and my fellow pilgrims). Thank you!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 47 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 173 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 279 24.3%