• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best kindle Guide for CF or is an app better?

mistermike

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to SdC May-July 2019
Port. Coastal Sep 2023
I fly out in 2 days. Can't find my paper book by John Brierley and not sure I want the weight when I have a perfectly good phone with kindle installed. Only I cant see that book for Kindle! Any suggestions for CF guide on Kindle or even an App for Android? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You can go for Wisely - Camino Places app for Android.
It was recommended by Ivar, founder of this forum, and the producer is a member (

Thanks. I see see it has 1.7 stars in 3 reviews - ouch. I just had a play with it and I have the same laggy issues with it. You move the map and wait a up to 3 seconds for the map to move. I am downloading the offline version, the lag may be web based.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Brierley 's book weighs in at a hefty 300 grams not something you should be worried about - both the app and the book are only really needed for lodging and distances so save your battery for instigram and facebook and use your eyes for the scenery and the sights. You can pick up a new book in Pamplona at the "Caminoteca" store, Calle Curia, 15 up by the cathedral.

I am downloading the offline version, the lag may be web based.

Ouch, that is indeed bad :/ Other users in the forum had lag, while some said it was smooth. If you use the search bar, I'm sure other opotions will appear.

As Scruffy said, you also probably can get a new book in Spain.

I tried downloading the data for offline a few times but it failed every time. I'm betting it's one of those "It run great on apple but awful on Android" kind of deals. A few photography apps I was looking at ran much better on an old apple over an android.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like the Buen Camino app. It has never crashed for me.

I also have a couple of guides on my Kindle app - each guide has a little bit of different information that's helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G75MZ27/?tag=casaivar02-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AHUXLO/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have also used the Forwalk.org website a lot.

I think that Moon guide treckle mentioned is by far the best Kindle guide. On apps I've used Wise Pilgrim for Norte and was impressed. I assume their CF guide is also good.

I fly out in 2 days. Can't find my paper book by John Brierley and not sure I want the weight when I have a perfectly good phone with kindle installed. Only I cant see that book for Kindle! Any suggestions for CF guide on Kindle or even an App for Android? Thanks!
I am currently using Wisley. It's been so helpful. Especially when I am not on the correct way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can get Brierley on Kindle, I believe!

But I'd just visit the Caminoteca shop in Pamplona and buy a hard-copy, myselff.... (I'm old-school....)

There are a ton of apps. Some good ones are Wisely+, Buen Camino and Camino Pilgrim. For the Kindle, I found the Village to Village guide useful and The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: the Complete Cultural Handbook.

Used Wise on the CdN and CP, it was seamless!
Besides I know the author and think the world of how he continuously researches his updates.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If anyone has been on the road in 2019/2018, any suggestions for the app (apple) you found most useful on the Francés, particularly inside Galicia, would be most appreciated. I am hoping to use the phone as little as possible and would rather stick to a single app rather than move across several (or else I fear my short route will be spent on the gadget comparing notes and 'researching' rather than on the far more important things like the actual road and my fellow pilgrims). Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.