• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Kiwi Debit or Credit Card to take?

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I have a niece from NZ who will be accompanying me this year along the Camino Frances.
Aussies have their "28 degrees" Master Card from GE Money, voted best card to use overseas, with no international transaction fees on purchases, no currency conversion fees, a good conversion rate, and no annual fee.
American have cards with much the same benefits. The Charles Schwab Debit Card has been recommended on this forum.
I would like advice on cards available in NZ that have actually been used on the Camino please.

EDIT. Some advice on Insurance providers would also be appreciated

Regards and TIA
Gerard

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Gerard
Two years ago I used a Kiwibank "Loaded for travel" card in France on the Chemin.. but stopped at SJPP so can't comment on Spain. I had no problems with it.. the only thing that surprised me was that I was not able to get a refund afterwards.. I had to buy stamps to use up the last bits of it. Previously on the camino (2001 and 2003) I had just used a combination of an Eftpos card and a Visa card and it seemed fine. CAn't remember who I used for insurance as I never had to actually use them.
Kay

I just took my two ordinary eftpos and credit cards- two, in case something happened to one of them. I used to withdraw 300 Euro at a time to minimise transaction fees. I looked at the various travel cards available but when I 'did the sums' on them re fees, conditions etc, I didn't think I really would be any better off with one of them.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Gerard, Previously on the camino (2001 and 2003) I had just used a combination of an Eftpos card and a Visa card and it seemed fine.
Kay
I just took my two ordinary eftpos and credit cards- two, in case something happened to one of them. I used to withdraw 300 Euro at a time to minimise transaction fees.
Margaret
I did exactly what Margaret did.
When I did the sums it was cheaper to use my Eftpos and credit cards.Like Margaret I had two eftpos cards and one credit card with a four diget pin.
Insurance: I went with Southern Cross. Im a member and it was around $120.00 for two months. I needed them on my last Camino for a plane break down and a leg injury. They organised a hospital for me to visit in Portugal to get a MRI. Fantastic service.
You dont need to be a member and they do super quick online quotes.
Thank you very much ladies for your advice. You all seem to agree on the main points.
Will get her to check 'Southern Cross" Lise T , thank you.

Regds
Gerard

Coming from the States, the big issue seems to be not having a card with an onboard IC chip - the so called 'chip and PIN" card that is used across Europe. Cash-point (ATM) machines did accept my magnetic strip-only US cards with a 4-digit PIN.

However, trying to pay for something in a shop or a hotel was another story altogether. Outside the largest cities, clerk were surprised by the card with no chip. This slowed transactions down. In Burgos, Leon, and Santiago they appear to have encountered them regularly.

But, I used cash most of the time anyway and only used the cards for the most part to get cash from the wall. I cannot speak to the situation in Oz and vicinity. However, I presume you also have the chip and PIN system.

My credit union (bank) recently started offering a branded VISA debit card with a chip and PIN, specifically for people like me who travel a lot. I can move money among my accounts to "top off" this card. On the other hand there is a flat fee (USD 1.00) for each use and the bank-rate dollar -Euro conversion rate. I am seriously considering getting one of these cars for this year's Camino. I am interested to see how it works.

Last edited:
You can get a card from Flight centre in NZ called multicurrency cash passport which allows easy withdrawals from whatever country yr in thru atm's or whatever and easily topped up via the internet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When we did the Camino in 2009 & travel in Europe we always used the ANZ Travel Card which was very good. This card has now been removed & replaced with a Foreign Travel Passport Card from MasterCard. Easy to use & beauty of it you can buy currencies when they are at a good rate. You also have a back up card if the primary card gets stolen which can be activated straight away. We are walking the Camino again this year starting 21 May.

When we did the Camino in 2009 & travel in Europe we always used the ANZ Travel Card which was very good. This card has now been removed & replaced with a Foreign Travel Passport Card from MasterCard. Easy to use & beauty of it you can buy currencies when they are at a good rate. You also have a back up card if the primary card gets stolen which can be activated straight away. We are walking the Camino again this year starting 21 May.
You can get a card from Flight centre in NZ called multicurrency cash passport which allows easy withdrawals from whatever country yr in thru atm's or whatever and easily topped up via the internet
Thank you.

I used the Cash Passport, available in many places in NZ. I loaded it with Euros so had no conversion fees. It worked just fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back