• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best latest guide book including prep details

letsmile

Time of past OR future Camino
After having now done some research I'm pretty overwhelmed by the amount of material out there, and frankly confused as to what may be the best. I really wanted to home in on the most highly rated guide book by those on here with lots of experience. Ideally, I'd also love the book to include details on preparation, namely kit to take and any other relevant prep. Really appreciate any feedback, as I can see there's a real dearth of experience on here - thanks :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
After having now done some research I'm pretty overwhelmed by the amount of material out there, and frankly confused as to what may be the best. I really wanted to home in on the most highly rated guide book by those on here with lots of experience. Ideally, I'd also love the book to include details on preparation, namely kit to take and any other relevant prep. Really appreciate any feedback, as I can see there's a real dearth of experience on here - thanks :)
Get yourself a Brierley. He'll even guide your thinking ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And remember any guide book is only a guide. Feel free to deviate. Some of the most interesting albergues are not at the suggested daily stopping points. Generally wise to stop short or walk a little further than where the guide book stops for the day.

Hello and Welcome to The Forum
Please do NOT overwhelm yourself by 'overthinking' stuff.
The most important (IMHO) is your gear and your stamina (reasonably). You need to go (perhaps) to Decathlon and get fitted for your backpack and figure out your shoewear - way too many threads here on the topics and in the end it will still be ultimately YOUR decision and up to YO want to buy. Just because it works for someone does not mean it will for you (I am a good case to point - I got a pair of Lowa's Renegades because couple of folks like them; and to be fair I did like them a lot and trained in them and even walked 1st 8-9 days on the Camino, but then they gave me issues and I had to get new footgear....).
Your hiking clothing has to be fast-drying and comfortable. Some folks go with 2 sets and some with 3...
Your ability to walk certain distance on the daily basis is next. Again, no amount of research material will be of any 'true' help - you either CAN walk the distance or you CANNOT. Do train if you must!
I know this is not much of help you are looking for but this is as straight as I can advice you for all purposes being a practical newbie myself who just finished his 1st Camino a month ago
Good Luck and Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Really appreciate any feedback, as I can see there's a real dearth of experience on here - thanks :)
The curse of auto correct strikes again it seems and gives the exact opposite of "depth".

Hello and Welcome to The Forum
Please do NOT overwhelm yourself by 'overthinking' stuff.
The most important (IMHO) is your gear and your stamina (reasonably). You need to go (perhaps) to Decathlon and get fitted for your backpack and figure out your shoewear - way too many threads here on the topics and in the end it will still be ultimately YOUR decision and up to YO want to buy. Just because it works for someone does not mean it will for you (I am a good case to point - I got a pair of Lowa's Renegades because couple of folks like them; and to be fair I did like them a lot and trained in them and even walked 1st 8-9 days on the Camino, but then they gave me issues and I had to get new footgear....).
Your hiking clothing has to be fast-drying and comfortable. Some folks go with 2 sets and some with 3...
Your ability to walk certain distance on the daily basis is next. Again, no amount of research material will be of any 'true' help - you either CAN walk the distance or you CANNOT. Do train if you must!
I know this is not much of help you are looking for but this is as straight as I can advice you for all purposes being a practical newbie myself who just finished his 1st Camino a month ago
Good Luck and Buen Camino
Agreed.
I think one of the great learnings of the Camino (after gathering information - and this forum is full of information ) is to practice thinking for oneself and to connect more deeply with ones own inner wisdom. And to become comfortable with the 'mistakes' we will surely make as we prepare and travel. (As in this post)
The Camino is very forgiving if you allow it to be. You can post extra stuff you bring, home or to Santiago. There are plenty of trekking stores along the way. There are plenty of experienced pilgrims and happy to help. You can walk as long or short as suits your body. You can get a taxi if needed. On the Portuguese a couple of times I had to stop at random cf coffee shops and ask them to call a taxi for me.
My first Camino many years ago at age 56 I had no books, no forum, just a few pages from a Lonely Planet guide and the albergue list from SJPP. It was wonderful.
I just prepare as best I can and then set out for my Camino adventure to see what arises, and to learn and grow from the experience.
Buen Camino. 🌈

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.