• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Lightweight Shirts?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
OK, I have just about completed all my gear purchases and have actually switched some gear during training. The last item I need to get are shirts.

I was leaving these till the last item, as I expected to have lost a fair bit of weight by "T minus 4 months".... :oops:

Looks like I'll just buy 'tight' and slim into them over the next 4 months :D

I have been training in cotton polo shirts. But I had bought a 'trial shirt' from Kathmandu. Tech fabric, ultra light weight. Exactly what I needed, or so I thought.

I tried it last week here in Sydney on a hot day......... It was like wearing a plastic bag :(

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/tops/shirts/kangsar-nfz-long-sleeve-shirt-men-honey.html

I see on reading the website the shirt is 100% nylon!

So back to the drawing board. I'll need to start trialling another brand.

I'm looking for ultra light weight, easy to dry, long sleeve. You guys know all this stuff. I prefer long sleeves for sun protection. After all, they can always be rolled up.

So what are the brands you would recommend? When walking I get quite hot and I sweat a lot so need something that will not add to 'cooking me'. i.e. help keep me cool.

I actually recently bought a pair of trekking pants, that I will 'slim into' a bit more. Really great on training so far. Very lightweight. Again, I prefer long pants for weather protection and I'm not that great looking in shorts! Plus I'll burn easily... These were from Mountain Designs, but they did not stock lightweight shirts.

Any thoughts or tips most appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Robo, I also sweat a lot while walking and I found the Rohan shirt to suit me best, it is loose fitting so lots of air circulating. I had a North Face shirt but found it very sweaty, like you I found it like wearing plastic. I would not use tight fitting clothes for the reason that you need air circulation for cooling. Recently I bought a Merino Polo shirt but have not trialed it yet, I am a big fan of Merino.

http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-shirts-Overland-Shirt?ocode=03602981

http://edzdirect.com/collections/polo-shirts/products/edz-merino-mens-polo-shirt-200g-seaport-blue

@Robo, I have found L/S shirts made by Lowe Alpine, Ex Officio and Snowgum all give good results. I wore Lowe Alpine on my first Camino (CF, 2010) and this year wore Ex Officio trekking shirts. They are all nylon/polyester blend fabrics that meet your other criteria, but if you are finding nylon a problem, they may not be suitable.

I have also used a Paddy Pallin knitted shirt, similar to the Marmot Saxon. This is form fitting, and doesn't provide as much ventilation as a conventional shirt style.

For me, the Ex Officio Airstrip style provides a reasonable compromise between hiking and travelling. It has large, cargo style pockets on both sides, and a zippered pocket behind one of the cargo packets. It is in a lightweight fabric, but its features may make it a little heavier than others like the more utilitarian Snowgum design.

You might find a 'best' shirt for a single purpose isn't all that great for all the uses it will have on the Camino, and you will need to accept some compromises.

As an aside, I have picked up most of my shirts at sales, and have been lucky enough that they have all worked pretty well for me. I can understand that your recent experience may have left you wary, but only you can work out what works for you. None of us really know what it best, let aside what will be best for you. There is a point where shopping at an outdoor retailer with experienced staff works. Unfortunately, I don't think sales staff at Kathmandu have the same depth of experience as the the other retailers in Australia.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We too both wear Rohan. Currently they have a sale on - weights and drying times etc are given on all items. Terry likes the Overland shirt and also the Equator shirt and I have the Leeway shirt. Long sleeved and also sun blocking. Worth checking round their website.

@Robo, I have found L/S shirts made by Lowe Alpine, Ex Officio and Snowgum all give good results. I wore Lowe Alpine on my first Camino (CF, 2010) and this year wore Ex Officio trekking shirts. They are all nylon/polyester blend fabrics that meet your other criteria, but if you are finding nylon a problem, they may not be suitable.

I have also used a Paddy Pallin knitted shirt, similar to the Marmot Saxon. This is form fitting, and doesn't provide as much ventilation as a conventional shirt style.

For me, the Ex Officio Airstrip style provides a reasonable compromise between hiking and travelling. It has large, cargo style pockets on both sides, and a zippered pocket behind one of the cargo packets. It is in a lightweight fabric, but its features may make it a little heavier than others like the more utilitarian Snowgum design.

You might find a 'best' shirt for a single purpose isn't all that great for all the uses it will have on the Camino, and you will need to accept some compromises.

As an aside, I have picked up most of my shirts at sales, and have been lucky enough that they have all worked pretty well for me. I can understand that your recent experience may have left you wary, but only you can work out what works for you. None of us really know what it best, let aside what will be best for you. There is a point where shopping at an outdoor retailer with experienced staff works. Unfortunately, I don't think sales staff at Kathmandu have the same depth of experience as the the other retailers in Australia.

Thanks, I'll check out some of these. I've found the staff at Mountain Designs and Paddy Pallin quite knowledgeable. I agree, it's a very personal choice, but the experience of others will certainly be helpful.

We too both wear Rohan. Currently they have a sale on - weights and drying times etc are given on all items. Terry likes the Overland shirt and also the Equator shirt and I have the Leeway shirt. Long sleeved and also sun blocking. Worth checking round their website.

I'll check out the site now. Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rohan's overseas delivery fees don't make buying from Australia all that reasonable compared to local retailers.

Rohan's overseas delivery fees don't make buying from Australia all that reasonable compared to local retailers.
I will point this out to the Rohan directors here in Yorkshire and see if they can come up with a better package for you folk in Oss . It also needs to be stated that their gear is quite expensive too, before packaging. But the quality and performance as wayfarer and Valeria has explained is superb especially their bags , wicking shirts and base T Shirts.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most of their shops in the UK are franchises - any takers?? with one or two 'instore' outlets. Yes postage is expensive, as is the full price clothing. However for value for money it is hard to beat - haven't managed to actually wear anything out yet (Walker shirts (2) worn for all practise walks for the last 6 years!!) . I will admit to keeping my actual Camino gear for the Camino :)

These are US/Canadian brands, and I'm not sure how available they might be elsewhere: Ex Officio, Tilley, LL Bean, Under Armour, Smartwool. If you are truly in love with cotton, I'll point out that my standard (x 4 walks) shirt is a lightweight cotton-poly blend collared shirt from LL Bean. It dries overnight, and is wonderfully comfortable in the heat. Your costume might contemplate layers: a lightweight T-shirt type, short sleeved form-fitting wicking garment; plus a looser long-sleeved collared shirt for sun protection. I like fly-fishing shirts - they have big pockets, great ventilation, and good sun protection. I also like the Merino wool lightweight T-shirts from Smartwool.

Hi @Robo ! I'm going with my usual fine merino t-shirt but also a New Zealand made long sleeved lightweight top that is 72% silk, 13% merino and 15% cotton. I've tried shirts that were a silk and cotton mixture in the past and they are supremely comfortable but not very durable - they tore under the stress of putting on and taking off the pack. This combination should be a little more robust.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Decathlon store brand will fill your demands. If I'm understanding you're coming April/May so finding long sleeves in the shops shouldn't be a problem.

All the new tech stuff will be largely man made fibers.

After two, month-long April/May Camino Frances, I now prefer to wear properly fitting (generous cut, not fitted) full-synthetic fabric, long sleeve, polo shirts. The collar is good for insulation when turned up on cold rainy days, also provides neck-protection when used on hot sunny days. Finally, when in cities it looks a tad more "dressy" than a t-shirt.

I also switched from short to long sleeves at the urging of my many Australian Camino friends. When I would encounter them with my VERY dark tanned forearms they would simply show me their long sleeves and tell me that was the way to go. "Everyone in Oz knows that you silly bugger..." they would typically state. After all, the folks from Oz are the experts on going walkabout in hot sunny climes... So, point well taken. Thank you.

Finally, the long sleeve thing works best in light colors like: white, tan, or light grey. Dark colors attract the sun's heat and serve no purpose (except style coordination) when worn under other layers.

Also, when road walking, facing traffic, white is among the MOST VISIBLE colors for safety, short of buying neon colors (I rather like the neon colors personally). If you are warm, you can push the sleeves up, over your elbows. But mind the Spanish sun!

My preferred brands are US-based but I know they are available worldwide as I have bought them in Asia (Singapore and Bangkok) and Spain too. Champion (the C9 activewear line if you can find it) and Underarmour are my recommendations. However, any 100 % synthetic fabric shirt in a open weave will work to purpose. These shirts are sometimes sold and placed in the golf clothing department, as polo shirts are frequently called "golf shirts." I think it is a cultural thing...whatever!

These shirts hand wash very easily in cold water with hand soap, in a sink. Of course, they will dry overnight.

Also, I carry a couple of folding, plastic travel hangers that weigh 44 grams each, to allow my shirts to dry anywhere: edge of a bunk, back of a door, window sill, curtain or shower rod, tree branch, rucksack, etc. The hanging hook rotates to make the hanger measure only 13 cm from top to bottom. The folded hangers stand vertically inside each side of my rucksack to provide a side frame, such as it is, so I can better see that is in my rucksack. Yes, I am scrupulous about weight. But this is a luxury I chose to include for ME. I like wearing dry clothes.

Be certain to ensure the fit is either "traditional," "full," or "relaxed." You will need the extra fabric. The more snug the fitting, the hotter you will feel. I think this addresses the sweating concerns posted above. Circulation is key to allow perspiration to evaporate, to provide insulation against cold or heat, and for freedom of movement, also for layering if it comes to that.

The sole issue I have with ALL synthetic fiber shirts (regardless of style) is that when worn directly under pack straps, they tend to "pill" from the constant rubbing of the pack straps against the fabric. This is unavoidable, but is less noticeable in the lighter colors.

I hope this helps.

I always wear short sleeve shirts (REI brand tech shirts - sun protective, quick dry and antimicrobial - or Icebreaker merino) when backpacking. I warm up quickly and feel trapped in long sleeve shirts. But I have very sun sensitive skin and sun block feels gross and is not very effective on me.

Here is my solution - golfers sun sleeves.
They are warming starting out on a cool morning, and cooling on a hot day, especially when doused with water. They are lightweight convenient effective sun protection that don't lock me into a long sleeve shirt.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IJWXFG/?tag=casaivar02-20

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another vote for lightweight merino. Mine was an Icebreaker 150 weight long sleeve zip neck which I wore almost every day for 2 months in 50F to 90F weather. I also had two Icebreaker 120 weight short sleeve t shirts which I used for layering (or occasionally alone). I formerly used Patagonia Capilene Shirts, but have joyfully made the switch to merino.

My favorite recipe is an Under Armour compression t-shirt and a short sleeved Columbia button down trekking shirt with North Face arm warmers for cold dawns. They wash and dry quickly, very lightweight and keep me cool or warm as needed.

Robo,
We have not done our Camino yet either, but we do an awful lot of hiking in various environments here at home. Our "uniform" is always the same for every backpacking trip. I wear a light-weight Merino t-shirt from Ibex with a PFG (Pro Fishing Gear) long sleeved shirt over. The PFG shirts are vented. You can roll up the sleeves and they have a lot of pockets. They make a nice light "jacket" when you need one and they keep the sun off your arms even if you don't need a jacket. They are not hot to wear due to the fabric. They wash easily, don't stink, and don't look terrible if you need a button type shirt for dinner or church. You can wad them up and stick them in your bag or tie them around your waist with the sleeves, etc. The merino t-shirts are great and ours have worn like iron even though they are several years old now. They don't stink and are very comfortable even on a hot day. When hiking I take a pair of merino Ibex 3/4 length long john tights and a long sleeve merino t-shirt by the same brand to sleep in, so my entire clothes bag is a merino short-sleeved t-shirt, a long-sleeved PFG shirt, hiking pants, sleeping tights and sleeping shirt plus some underwear and socks. Good gear is pricey a some have mentioned, but if it lasts it is well worth it. Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will point this out to the Rohan directors here in Yorkshire and see if they can come up with a better package for you folk in Oss . It also needs to be stated that their gear is quite expensive too, before packaging. But the quality and performance as wayfarer and Valeria has explained is superb especially their bags , wicking shirts and base T Shirts.
Hola Pilgrim B - overseas purchases (outside of Europe) would not attract VAT; maybe they could reduce the amount of packaging and even reduce the freight costs for 3 or more shirts!!

Hola Pilgrim B - overseas purchases (outside of Europe) would not attract VAT; maybe they could reduce the amount of packaging and even reduce the freight costs for 3 or more shirts!!
I agree, well worth their thinking about, will mention it to them Saint Mike.

Another vote for Merino. I use lightweight long sleeve, you can alter as required. I find synthetics are too hot for me, I tried Linen on my last Camino, but switched back to merino after 10 days, it was proving to be a cold damp summer and linen was not much use.
Itchiness can be problem, I find Icebreaker is good, have tried Xtm( Aussie company) a little rough at first but after a few gentle washes they are OK.

Hello you friends overseas I have been discussing your difficulties about acquiring Rohan Walking gear with the people who run the business here in Yorkshire. I have mentioned your interest in purchasing, your problems with high carriage costs, and they will be looking into the viability of working something out for you in Ozz and also the USA if you are interested. I guess they will probably look at the forum to see how much interest their really is in there quick drying Bags (I would about 10 mins from Soaked) their breathable base/and Shirts. Cant say a lot more moderators are friends I wouldn't want to fall out with for advertising so I do hope this is Ok Ivor /wayfarer.
Ps Just got myself some merino gear there too!

Last edited:
Great read on all of these suggestions. Heading to New Zealand in March which is their Autumn and wondering whether or not to take my med. weight Merino. Love it! Also My husband is 6'4" and is hiking with me for the first time. Suggestions for shirts that come in Tall?

Hello you friends overseas I have been discussing your difficulties about acquiring Rohan Walking gear with the people who run the business here in Yorkshire. I have mentioned your interest in purchasing, your problems with high carriage costs, and they will be looking into the viability of working something out for you in Ozz and also the USA if you are interested. I guess they will probably look at the forum to see how much interest their really is in there quick drying Bags (I would about 10 mins from Soaked) their breathable base/and Shirts. Cant say a lot more moderators are friends I wouldn't want to fall out with for advertising so I do hope this is Ok Ivor /wayfarer.
Ps Just got myself some merino gear there too!

Thanks. Very keen on their products, but having to buy elsewhere....

Check Icebreaker and Smartwool both have lightweight merino blends that are perfect for the Camino. The technical nylon style tend to smell, they dry quickly but can stink! :)
I for one totally agree with Wildflower Woman. Synthetic t-shirts might breathe but they end up stinking and pilling while the Merino wool t-shirts can go for days (as in walking overtime or in the rain with no way to dry clothing) without being washed; and once they are washed they smell like brand new. They only negatives they receive on this forum is how much they cost. (admittedly 70USD for a 15 euro t-shirt is a bit dear!)
I always take a long sleeve vented Columbia (PFG type) shirt to wear out at night and without fail leave it on the back of a chair in some restaurant about half way along the Camino. I'm sure I've made some very lucky Spaniard happy over the past few years with my forgetfulness.

I for one totally agree with Wildflower Woman. Synthetic t-shirts might breathe but they end up stinking and pilling while the Merino wool t-shirts can go for days (as in walking overtime or in the rain with no way to dry clothing) without being washed; and once they are washed they smell like brand new. They only negatives they receive on this forum is how much they cost. (admittedly 70USD for a 15 euro t-shirt is a bit dear!)
I always take a long sleeve vented Columbia (PFG type) shirt to wear out at night and without fail leave it on the back of a chair in some restaurant about half way along the Camino. I'm sure I've made some very lucky Spaniard happy over the past few years with my forgetfulness.
Ha ha....I did the same thing on my first Camino with a long-sleeved, vented 5.11 brand shirt. Forty bucks for that thing, and had it less than six months. Hope whomever found it appreciates it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
OK, I have just about completed all my gear purchases and have actually switched some gear during training. The last item I need to get are shirts.

I was leaving these till the last item, as I expected to have lost a fair bit of weight by "T minus 4 months".... :oops:

Looks like I'll just buy 'tight' and slim into them over the next 4 months :D

I have been training in cotton polo shirts. But I had bought a 'trial shirt' from Kathmandu. Tech fabric, ultra light weight. Exactly what I needed, or so I thought.

I tried it last week here in Sydney on a hot day......... It was like wearing a plastic bag :(

http://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/tops/shirts/kangsar-nfz-long-sleeve-shirt-men-honey.html

I see on reading the website the shirt is 100% nylon!

So back to the drawing board. I'll need to start trialling another brand.

I'm looking for ultra light weight, easy to dry, long sleeve. You guys know all this stuff. I prefer long sleeves for sun protection. After all, they can always be rolled up.

So what are the brands you would recommend? When walking I get quite hot and I sweat a lot so need something that will not add to 'cooking me'. i.e. help keep me cool.

I actually recently bought a pair of trekking pants, that I will 'slim into' a bit more. Really great on training so far. Very lightweight. Again, I prefer long pants for weather protection and I'm not that great looking in shorts! Plus I'll burn easily... These were from Mountain Designs, but they did not stock lightweight shirts.

Any thoughts or tips most appreciated.

Another fan of merino here. I'm lucky enough to live close to an Icebreaker outlet store - they are expensive otherwise, but still totally worth it I think. Very light weight, and as others have said, you do avoid the pong factor with merino! My training walks recently have been in our very muggy, sweaty Auckland weather, and all I can smell afterwards is damp wool! By contrast I bought a couple of synthetic tech t-shirts earlier in my Camino prep, and they get stinky very quickly. Merino is also great in colder weather, even the light-weight stuff if you layer it.

Lise T and Getting There - we are so excited to come to your "neck of the woods"! I'm a genealogist and have a long lost cousin I'm excited to meet who lives near Auckland. She came to the states to meet me just after Hurricane Sandy happened and I'm a FEMA housing inspector so I was involved with that in NYC the whole time she visited.

I do LOVE my merino and I'm wearing it now. (whopping amount of snow and wind in New England this winter!) It's a men's small and medium weight. I think a light weight will be perfect with my other layers. First time hiking for husband so I've gotten him all set up with his back pack etc. We are both airline people (I'm retired) and I told him I refuse to go dragging our roller bags! haha The freedom of a pack will be liberating for him. No one cares when you travel if you've worn the same pants or shirts for a month! (as long as you wash them right?)

Good advice on the sun screen too. I grew up in WY at 7,800 feet elevation and lived in CO at 8400 feet elevation so I sure understand the need for sun screen. Wondering if we'll need to rent a car or if it's easy to get around on trains and busses while in NZ.

Lise T - I have a cover photo of Mt. Taranaki on my FB page! Can't wait to see it in person. So beautiful! (Janis Cox Ford Ahern) on FB

Hey Ruby...
your trip sounds amazing.

Definitely consider hiring a car. Public transport outside of the main centres is pretty bad.
We only have one train that runs daily between Auckland and Wellington and its only at certain times of the year. Our tracks are a lot slower too so trips take a long time.
A good car rental site is vroomrvroom If you want to see whats available.

I am so glad you will see my Mount Taranaki. He does tend to hide behind a cloud alot but is stunning. In a former life I use to Guide people up Mt Taranaki. March is a perfect time to climb to the top. But there are stunning tramps around the Mountain as well.

So excited for you!!!!

Ps. Checked out your Facebook page. A perfect photo!!! ☺☺☺☺

thanks so much Lise T

I'll check out that rental car site today. I was 12 years old the first time I thought about New Zealand. I loved the photos of Norway for the same reason. Just the most stunning waterways and mountains to the sky. I had back surgery last winter so my hikes will be at a relaxed pace with many photo ops. I'm back to carrying my pack though so life is good!

Lise T, could I ask what is a good rental price on a car in NZ for a day? I was surprised at the cost of a month's rental. Here in the states you can find them occasionally for 10-15$. Just curious before I start looking. thanks.

Robo,

See my notes in my gear review (published a few days ago) in a separate thread. It has a section on clothing. I'm with you on wearing plastic shirts in the desert issue. The Meseta is not the desert like you have in Australia, but it is not the mountains either. I think the climate there in the summer calls for rethinking the usual backpacking clothing designed for mountains.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Hey if you haven't bought one already, have you tried the arc'teryx phase? I bought one not too long ago and kept me warm during australia winter and cool when it got hot! It's also quick drying!

Hey if you haven't bought one already, have you tried the arc'teryx phase? I bought one not too long ago and kept me warm during australia winter and cool when it got hot! It's also quick drying!

Those look good but quite heavy.

I tend to go for very light clothing and just 'layer up'.

Light merino base layer
Fleece mid layer
Gortex rain jacket top layer.

I very rarely need all three. Needs to be down around freezing.

Over 3 Caminos I have changed my preferences.

On 1 and 2 I used lightweight 'tech' shirts.
They worked OK. But don't breath that well.

Now I use lightweight Merino. 120 gm weight.

They are warm in colder weather (Pat uses 180 gm weight)
And surprisingly comfortable in hot weather.
The sweat seems to just wick / evaporate away.

I use the long sleeve 1/2 zip as they are most flexible.
The zip is long, and pulled down is good if hot.
Pulled up, it has a slight collar for added warmth.
And the sleeves I tend to keep down for sun protection, but they pull up of course.

https://www.paddypallin.com.au/clothing/new/icebreaker/hiking-shortzip.html

Though.........

It seems since Icebreaker was sold, the fabric quality has declined.
There seems to be a greater % of man made fibre now.
Which is not as comfortable. (rougher)
Though maybe harder wearing.

If anyone knows of a brand that is like what Icebreaker 'used to be'........let me know . ;)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.