• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best location to rent for a month along Frances

cassieryle

Time of past OR future Camino
Fisterre (2017), Norte(2018), Ingles (2019)
My family and I are considering renting for the month of August somewhere along the Frances while we finish our book about the Camino. No walking as husband has a bad injury, but we just want to be around the Camino vibe as we write. We'd like to be somewhere that a car is not necessary, might have reasonable prices for rentals, and that has a Camino vibe. Thanks for any suggestions :) Non-Frances suggestions welcome as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So many suggestions. Depends if you want a large town or just a village.

If it was me? Jeez, tough choice. For a month..........
These ones, all for different reasons though.

If you have kids, a larger town maybe.
Looking at great views might not keep them going for a month.

Burgos
Logrono
Pamplona
Castrojeriz
Saint Jean Pied de Port!
Los Arcos
Vianna
Santo Domingo
Astorga
Portomarin
Molinaseca

No. Too tough a choice. Can you provide more idea of what you want in the place you will stay?

My family and I are considering renting for the month of August somewhere along the Frances while we finish our book about the Camino. No walking as husband has a bad injury, but we just want to be around the Camino vibe as we write. We'd like to be somewhere that a car is not necessary, might have reasonable prices for rentals, and that has a Camino vibe. Thanks for any suggestions :) Non-Frances suggestions welcome as well.

What's the book about. The World really needs another Camino Book! ;) ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The book is called 'The Camino Provides: A Curious Guide to the Camino del Norte,' ... in edits now. It's a combo memoir and unconventional guidebook. Can't wait to share it with you all! Next is the Camino Ingles addition (did the walk this past autumn, now need to write it up...

We would love to be in more of a town than a village... big enough that we can eat in different places and have all the amenities, but not a city. DEFINITELY nature... forests and green grass.... We do not want to have to have a car. Thought about St Jean but cannot find anything that is reasonable in price....

So many suggestions. Depends if you want a large town or just a village.

If it was me? Jeez, tough choice. For a month..........
These ones, all for different reasons though.

If you have kids, a larger town maybe.
Looking at great views might not keep them going for a month.

Burgos
Logrono
Pamplona
Castrojeriz
Saint Jean Pied de Port!
Los Arcos
Vianna
Santo Domingo
Astorga
Portomarin
Molinaseca

No. Too tough a choice. Can you provide more idea of what you want in the place you will stay?

All good locations to request for hospitaleros positions too, I note ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Based on what you describe, I think Rabanal del Camino would be perfect. Small town, easy to get around on foot. A few (at least three) grocery stores, nice restaurants and bars, great place to mingle with pilgrims before they climb the mountain to Cruz de Ferro. Some very nice albergues, including Gualcelmo with the evening vespers. Good luck with your book ! Bob

I would suggest getting as far west as possible as especially into Galicia where it won’t be as hot. It is August. Why not stick to staying on the Norte on the coast. You know it, obviously. Beautiful towns, scenery, cooler, and in my opinion better food. Just a thought.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
August can be HOT, as in HOT! If you want camino atmosphere, August will be full of people doing the last 100km, so a place near the mountains might be ideal, like Burguete, just 3 miles off Roncesvalles, or if you want to go further west, Cacabelos would be handy because they have a river beach too, it is small enough to move without a car, the Camino atmosphere is there, you find nice bars...

The Norte would be more complicated because it is high season and every place will be busy and expensive.

As Rebekah says above, Astorga could be an interesting place too.

If you’re looking for green grass in August, that is going to limit your options!
If you can forgo the green grass, here’s a different option: when I walked the VdlP with my four youngest we were joined for a couple of weeks by Daddy, Grandpa and an uncle. They were all leaving from Salamanca so we had a few days there in a very inexpensive apartment. We were just one km from the very sizeable centre of town. There was a playground downstairs where everyone gathered each evening until late. Lots of supermarkets and restaurants. We saw pilgrims every day, but of course there is also the student vibe with it being a significant university town.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Astorga is an excellent choice and with a contact who knows the rental market it is hard to beat. If that somehow doesn't work out, a couple of options that haven't been mentioned to possibly consider are Ponferrada and Villafranca del Bierzo. You mention a family and if kids are involved a castle might be of interest. :)

Astorga is an excellent choice and with a contact who knows the rental market it is hard to beat. If that somehow doesn't work out, a couple of options that haven't been mentioned to possibly consider are Ponferrada and Villafranca del Bierzo. You mention a family and if kids are involved a castle might be of interest. :)

My wife and I have been considering an extended stay, possibly up to a year, in Spain. Your suggestion of Villafranca del Bierzo caught my eye. Very nice town. Picturesque. Lots of pilgrim activity and history. I had not thought of it until you posted. Thanks.

If I went to stay any town on the Camino del Norte it would be Castro Urdiales.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are more towns on the Norte that I would recommend, but certainly not in August...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
August can be hot, hot, hot. With children I'd consider Finisterre. A sea breeze and beach but still very much a pilgrim place.

I would stay in Vitoria-Gasteiz. It’s not on the Camino Francis, but close. It’s the capital of the Basques. What I loved about this location is that it’s located on a converted rail line (fabulous bike trail) which goes to Estella! It’s a smaller city, but a lot of personality!

Might be too big for what you want but Lugo struck me as both remote and connected at the same time. The Roman walls can't be beat. I think Astorga and Ponferrada are also good ideas.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back