• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best men's hiking pants for any Camino

TMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
Sorry - these pants are, I believe, available only for men. (They have pants for women, but I am not familiar with them.

I have worn a pair of these pants for four or five years and I like them so much I thought I would recommend them. IMO, they are perfect for walking the Camino. Here's why...

All of us need to keep organized the following: passport, pilgrim's passport, currency, and ATM/credit cards. Additionally for some, tissues, a mobile phone, a guidebook, a map, and maybe a small foreign language phrasebook. These pants have solved how to securely and conveniently carry most, if not all, of the above.

One of the two large, deep zippered pockets on the front of the pants hold my passport, pilgrim's passport, currency and ATM/credit cards. The other zippered front pocket can be used for a phone. Two fairly deep, velcro-secured cargo pockets hold most of the other items. (I admit that my travel shirt usually gets my phone and my reading glasses.)

The zippers, I feel, provide additional assurance from pickpockets from the airport all the way to my Camino start point. (Yes, I know a razor blade can cut a pocket, but I still feel more secure wearing these pants.)

Next, quality of materials: tough Schoeller panels protect high wear areas (knees, butt, and instep areas) and the rest of these pants is a high quality stretchable material. The waist also has expansion pleats. Finally, the durability of my pair has been outstanding.

I make this recco having bought and worn many other brands over the last 25 years or so: Mammut, Ex Officio, North Face, and Royal Robbins. I have no connection whatever with Cimalp except for having verified that the design and materials used has not changed since I purchased my pair.

Oh yes, these are not lightweight pants. But in hot weather I wear shorts.

Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am not planning to wear pants. I am just going to wear jogging tights with super light weight shorts over them. I find that comfortable in both warm and cold weather.

I do something similar. I typically wear running shorts while backpacking or walking Camino. If it gets a bit chilly, a pair of baselayer bottoms -- either Patagonia Capilene or Smartwool -- go under the shorts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last edited:
Sorry - these pants are, I believe, available only for men. (They have pants for women, but I am not familiar with them.

I have worn a pair of these pants for four or five years and I like them so much I thought I would recommend them. IMO, they are perfect for walking the Camino. Here's why...

All of us need to keep organized the following: passport, pilgrim's passport, currency, and ATM/credit cards. Additionally for some, tissues, a mobile phone, a guidebook, a map, and maybe a small foreign language phrasebook. These pants have solved how to securely and conveniently carry most, if not all, of the above.

One of the two large, deep zippered pockets on the front of the pants hold my passport, pilgrim's passport, currency and ATM/credit cards. The other zippered front pocket can be used for a phone. Two fairly deep, velcro-secured cargo pockets hold most of the other items. (I admit that my travel shirt usually gets my phone and my reading glasses.)

The zippers, I feel, provide additional assurance from pickpockets from the airport all the way to my Camino start point. (Yes, I know a razor blade can cut a pocket, but I still feel more secure wearing these pants.)

Next, quality of materials: tough Schoeller panels protect high wear areas (knees, butt, and instep areas) and the rest of these pants is a high quality stretchable material. The waist also has expansion pleats. Finally, the durability of my pair has been outstanding.

I make this recco having bought and worn many other brands over the last 25 years or so: Mammut, Ex Officio, North Face, and Royal Robbins. I have no connection whatever with Cimalp except for having verified that the design and materials used has not changed since I purchased my pair.

Oh yes, these are not lightweight pants. But in hot weather I wear shorts.

Tom
Thanks for the recommendation and helpful review.
I am not planning to wear pants. I am just going to wear jogging tights with super light weight shorts over them. I find that comfortable in both warm and cold weather.
It's rather childish 😁 but it never fails to raise a smile when our transatlantic bretheren tell us about their pants, which we call trousers. Pants are different 😉.
Buen camino one and all.

Thanks for the recommendation and helpful review.

It's rather childish 😁 but it never fails to raise a smile when our transatlantic bretheren tell us about their pants, which we call trousers. Pants are different 😉.
Buen camino one and all.
How are trousers different than pants? My dad used to call his pants, trousers. When I was a kid I just thought he was old!!! haha

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How are trousers different than pants? My dad used to call his pants, trousers. When I was a kid I just thought he was old!!! haha
@lt56ny Haha. It is a constant source of, as I admitted, slightly childish amusement.
In UK, generally, trousers are trousers and pants are underwear. When people announce, perfectly innocently, in an albergue that they are not going to wear pants, they need to know they will cause affectionate, and maybe bemused, raised eyebrows.
And let us steer clear of the difficult area of intercultural descriptions of bumbags.........:eek:
I find the peculiarities of a (common) language a constant source of interest. And I would never wish to maintain that one side is 'right' and the other side is 'wrong'. Tim ;)

@lt56ny Haha. It is a constant source of, as I admitted, slightly childish amusement.
In UK, generally, trousers are trousers and pants are underwear. When people announce, perfectly innocently, in an albergue that they are not going to wear pants, they need to know they will cause affectionate, and maybe bemused, raised eyebrows.
And let us steer clear of the difficult area of intercultural descriptions of bumbags.........:eek:
I find the peculiarities of a (common) language a constant source of interest. And I would never wish to maintain that one side is 'right' and the other side is 'wrong'. Tim ;)
You are exactly right about that. I walked the Le Puy and CF one year with a young man I had met walking with his mom on a previous Camino.They are from Australia and I am from USA. Max has become like a son to me and I a dad to him. He is young and can walk and walk. We walk different speeds and would often walk separately. When we would have discussions about which way to walk or were to meet on WhatsApp or in person we would always end up screaming at each other because neither of us spoke the other person's English. He would leave me directions on where to find him in a town and he might as well been speaking Venetian to me!!! So you are right, it is just something to smile and laugh about when us pilgrims talk and meet and learning about language and meaning sure can be fun!!

I switched to Kuhl Liberator Zip-offs 3 years ago and I love them. Super comfortable, warm enough long, cool enough short and the zip legs aren't even noticeable. No irritation. Still have first 3 year old pants. Have bought new ones, but still wearing originals regularly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Paramo Cascadia 2 pants are incredibly versatile and sensibly designed if you are walking in cooler weather.

Ever since reading this post, I have been enamored and searched high and low for the same or similar trouser in a Women's cut. Therefore, I wanted to share some findings. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd love a pair of pantalon de montagne for winter camino--but a bit overkill for rest of year. I just use whatever travel pants are available at Columbia. For spring/fall camino I want: quick drying, cargo pockets, deep side pockets, and at least one zipper pocket.

Doesn’t the best man normally wear black pants with a satin stripe down the outside of his leg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.