Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best month for C. Primitivo?

Juan64

Time of past OR future Camino
Did the French Camino, from St Jean Pied a Port, in April 2014
Hi,
I have already done the Camino twice (Francés in 2014 and Portuguese in 2015).
Now I am planning to do the Primitivo (although starting in Santander to go to Santo Toribio de Liébana on my way, it's Jubilar Year , you Roman Catholics out there ;-).

Can anybody tell me anybody who has done it already when it'd be better: September or October?
I am spanish, so I know what the weather is like in the north; that's why I am asking for first-hand experience.

Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We had perfect weather last end of September into October until rain from Melide onwards.

I have walked Primitivo in July and Frances in Sept/October. Based on that I would say both Sept/Oct would both be fine for weather but there are some small stretches on the Primitivo in Asturias where there could be mud, depending on how much it rains in the weeks before. I could see the mud dried out in July. I mean like 'over the top of your boots' mud, churned up by cows' hooves. Probably not for long stretches, but for ten metres in about 10 places maybe? Once over in Galicia the paths are 'improved' by the Xunta, so mud would be less of an issue. But I would not let that put you off. You walked in April before, it says on your profile, so I would say Sept and Oct would both be easier than April.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We did the Norte in Sept/Oct and the Primitivo in May/June. In Sept/Oct it will be colder in Oct and most accommodations will not have turned on the heat yet. Also the hours of daylight are much shorter in the fall. Even so, we had an enjoyable experience and I would not hesitate to do it again in Sept or Oct.

I did Camino del Norte in May and the Primitivo during the first 2 weeks in June! There were a few of days with a light drizzle, but nothing to hinder the trek, The weather was perfect during the day for hiking with short sleeves and a skort/light weight hiking pants; and all I needed to add in the cool evenings was a light down jacket to be comfortable and warm.
May you have a buen Camino!

Ultreïa!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back