• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best month to start from Seville

Caminata

Time of past OR future Camino
11 Camino's since 2012. Various ones repeated. Fra
Hi , I am looking at walking from Seville to Santiago in 2017 . It would be great to hear from people who have already walked to find out their opinion of when would be the best month to start .

It would be good to be walking when there are a few other pilgrims on the trail and nice to be walking when it is not too hot .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I started in early February this year and it was, after the first ~2 days pretty cold (including frost in the morning). If I would do it again, I would most likely start later - perhaps end of February/beginning of March. Also the date of Easter is a point to consider if you want to see the Semana Santa processions. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I started from Granada in August. It was completely solitary until I joined the Via de la Plata and even then it was very quiet (5 pilgrims tops). Only from Salamanca and after was it a bit more "busy". It was rough and needed a particular and rigorous organization regarding water, but I really loved it.
I'd say you'd absolutely want to avoid summer (and maybe late spring and early fall) if you want to avoid hot weather... Starting in Sevilla, you only go North, so towards colder weather. It's especially true if you start in fall!
Buen Camino! :)

full

Hi , I am looking at walking from Seville to Santiago in 2017 . It would be great to hear from people who have already walked to find out their opinion of when would be the best month to start .It would be good to be walking when there are a few other pilgrims on the trail and nice to be walking when it is not too hot .
Good morning my Lord!
I came back from Seville a month ago - a beautiful city, please stay at least two nights there, so you can relax and enjoy the amazing Christopher Columbus memorials! There are many pictures of Seville on my website - http://snicholl5.wixsite.com/home-site/holidays - and in google https://goo.gl/photos/2jZKYX87UcJPpSxMA
You will get many opinions about the "best" time to walk. I always enjoy a bit of solitude - with maybe a few contacts in the evenings. In my opinion, April is a wonderful month. The pilgrims are few, but the wild flowers are abundant.
Whatever you decide .... vaya con Dios y 'buen camino' senor!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The wild flowers are indeed wonderful. My first Camino I set out from Seville on 2 January. The weather was brilliantly sunny for many days but cold in the mornings and evenings. My guidebook described one stage as having wildflowers "as far as the eye can see". On another Camino I went back in Spring and they were truly wonderful. Whether early or springtime the challenges come later entering Galicia - have good raingear!

I'd say go when it suits you best each season has its own qualities.

Buen Camino

John

Definitely the best time to walk in the Spring, been born in the province of Cáceres I recommend to do it at the end of April because I think is the best time for enjoying nature and will flowers, also the good temperature ,( but that depends of the weather forecast).

Buen Camino!

Hi , I am looking at walking from Seville to Santiago in 2017 . It would be great to hear from people who have already walked to find out their opinion of when would be the best month to start .

It would be good to be walking when there are a few other pilgrims on the trail andend nice to be walking when it is not too hot .

My friend and I will be starting out from Seville around April 1st see you along the way ........

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I like both March/April and September/October. Temperatures are about the same both times. Spring has wildflowers but more rainy days than the fall, where you'll enjoy the beautiful fall colors. You won't lose either way!

Melanie

If you leave Seville in April, doesn't it get awfully warm by the time you get to SdC?? I'm very interested in doing this, but I don't do heat well and am thinking that March might be better for me. Would love opinions about that option.

If you leave Seville in April, doesn't it get awfully warm by the time you get to SdC?? I'm very interested in doing this, but I don't do heat well and am thinking that March might be better for me. Would love opinions about that option.
I left Seville on April 1st, mostly so that I could time my arrival in Salamanca for the Easter parades. The weather was not too hot when I finished, the last 2 weeks [ taking the route through Orense ] are in Galicia remember!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I left Seville at the end of March. It was hot for the first few days (high 20s, low 30s), and seemed like summer to me. Then as the camino gets a bit higher, it's more like spring and the wildflowers were incredible. And then up higher again and there were forests with the buds just starting to open on the trees. And later back to summer. I arrived in Santiago around the 8th of May. Even then it was starting to get too hot for me.
ml

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The visions of the spring flowers this year have seen me through our long winter which seems to be continuing despite the fact that it is already December! I think I would choose spring flowers over autumnal golds and browns - I was frequently speechless at the beauty.

Thanks everyone for your comments . This forum is such a great place to hear lots of different views points . Your comments are really appreciated . Cant wait to start walking again next year ! Am thinking a departure from Seville sometime in April will fit in with my plans. Cheers all !

Last edited:
My friend and I will be starting out from Seville around April 1st see you along the way ........
I am also planning to start from Sevilla April 1. I don't know how to send a personal message to you.....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Leaving April 15th.

I reckon the best time to start in Seville is the first half of March. It should be pleasant for walking during the day but cold at night (you will need a good sleeping bag).

Gerald

It would be good to be walking when there are a few other pilgrims on the trail and nice to be walking when it is not too hot .
You
Thanks everyone for your comments . This forum is such a great place to hear lots of different views points . Your comments are really appreciated . Cant wait to start walking again next year ! Am thinking a departure from Seville sometime in April will fit in with my plans. Cheers all !
Hello Lord Howe, have you read Tony Kevin's book, 'Walking the Camino'? If not, you might find it a useful resource. He was inspiring! I'm tempted but worried about being on my own for so long. Good luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I will be starting Sevilla to Santiago on March 7, I hear it is a great time of the year....spring, birds migration, flowers. Buen Camino my friend

October to November ain't half bad either!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first 150 km we did in april. We had cold weather and a lot of rain. The other part we walked in sept. It was hot for 14 days. Hereafter we had lovely weather. Two half days rain on the Sanabres. We loved the yellow colors on the fields ! It's my favourite time of the year to walk a camino.

Im arriving in Seville on March 21, most likely begin walking on the 23rd . Plan to walk to astorga, to Leon ( meet a friend ) then walk to Santiago.
Im up for company if anyone may want to start out together.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked from Seville starting on 24 October 2016. It was still quite hot for the first ten days or so, but manageable. We had only 2 1/2 days of rain before reaching Santiago on 2 November. I love this time of year for walking, seeing the grape harvest and the spectacular chestnut trees in Galicia. We are just starting to think about a Camino for 2017 at the same time of year, perhaps the Portuguese route.

I am leaving last days of March...or first days of April.

Leaving then to avoid crowds and associated higher cost during Holy Week, Semana Santa, Seville, (2017 Sun Apr 9 - Sat Apr 15); and,
to avoid crowds and associated higher costs in Seville during Spring Feria (30th April to 6 May 2017).

Rooms/places to stay, buses-trains etc, even Triana Backpackers, will be booked solid during these two events.

End of March first few days in April are ideal for hiking. Mid day hot but not too hot. Nice weather. Not much rain.
By the time get up north the weather has improved as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone confirm at what point in the Spring it's certain that all the accommodation is open? The stages one the Plata are quite fixed, and I am thinking if one accommodation is not open, it could cause a problem. I am thinking to do 2 weeks from where I left off at Villafranca de los Barros, starting on 31 March and walking until Easter Monday. Is it safe to say that all the accommodation will be open?

I heard that the albergue in Villafranca was closed for renovations before, does anyone know if it is open now? When I stayed at it before the lovely lady's poor husband was very ill. She was in my thoughts since then and I hope she is OK and wasn't forced to sell up or something.

If anyone is planning to be in Villafranca then please feel free to PM me.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'll be starting around March 25th as most of the posts state it's the best time. I'm going pretty much blind with a map and a list of villages and Albergues and little news and that's the way I like it. The future is unknown!

Starting in Seville in 7 weeks. Hope dry but not hot Buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'll be starting around March 25th as most of the posts state it's the best time. I'm going pretty much blind with a map and a list of villages and Albergues and little news and that's the way I like it. The future is unknown!
Holla Camino Matt,
I' m pretty much in the same boat, I learn what I can from this ( Great Forum )! And go. It,'s like standing at the top of the high dive, and jumping off., " Buen Camino " is putting it mildly, it's more like
Vaya Con Dios! Now I understand that, I get it !
Cliff

I have started in mid April and also around May 1. The temps were much colder on my May start. The year I started in mid April was warmer. So that just goes to show that there's a lot of variation. Flowers were better starting in the beginning of May. But I don't think I'd start much later than that.

I did a search for accommodation in Seville around Holy week and there are rooms available on booking dot com. That said, prices double or even triple from Monday 10th so would be wise to avoid starting that week.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I am starting from Seville on 26th of April and wxpect to reach Santiago 30th of May . 4th Camino ( twice Camino Frances , 1 Camino Portugese Paddy Brock , Dublin Ireland

€60,-
We arrive Seville on March 27, and plan to spend two or three days enjoying Seville and start walking March 30th from Sevilla or Santiponce after checking out Italica! Hope to see you guys!

We arrive March 27 as well, after spending a few days in Madrid. Will most likely cross paths.

Flying out of Calgary March 23

For those of you starting early April, bring your raingear !!
I realize that every year things can be different, but I sure ran into a lot of moisture last year; I started walking on April 4th, 2016.

Buen Camino !!

Hi lordhowe , I am a 70 year old Irishman starting from Seville on May 26th to walk to Santiago estimated arrival time 29th May. $th Camino ,previous St Jean to Finisterre 2015 , St Jean to santiago "014 and Porto to Finisterre 2016. Hope i see you on the Way, Paddy Brock

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
HI Paddy , hope you enjoy your walk . I have now booked and due to time restrictions will start from Merida on 21 or 22 April . Buen Camino .

And likewise, Have a great walk and may the road be kind to you . Buen Camino also

HI Paddy , hope you enjoy your walk . I have now booked and due to time restrictions will start from Merida on 21 or 22 April . Buen Camino .
We will be just behind you. should reach Merida by 24th April.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back