• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best month to walk The Way?

Jun Yang

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France Spain (2014)
Hi, I am new here. Want to do the full walk. When is the best month to do it in terms of weather? Anyone from Melbourne (preferably women) want to go in this September? Thank you. Jun

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Jun, I'm thinking of walking it next year in May I'm from Melbourne

Hola

Best month would be when it is possible for you to walk.
All seasons have their pros and cons, which depends on personal preference, so it is difficult to give advice on this.
Follow your intuition and you are half way there.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I would only suggest that you go when you're ready mentally and physically and depending on the sort of temperatures you can put up with. It also depends on whether you want to walk among a large group of pilgrims or when the path is quieter. I left at the very end of march 2010 so walked all through April and found all the Albergues were open and had spaces and the trail wasn't too busy. The weather was drier overall than expected but it was still too hot for me, even at 7am but that's because I need very cold temperatures to walk in.
Good luck with your planning.

Hi, I am new here. Want to do the full walk. When is the best month to do it in terms of weather? Anyone from Melbourne (preferably women) want to go in this September? Thank you. Jun
Welcome to the forum. There is a heap of info here for you to check out. Fantastic info and advice from many, many, members. I would recommend that you go to the top of the forum page and type in what you want to know and explore that information.
I am from Western Australia and I started my Camino April 1 and finished in May. I walked from SDPD to Santiago de Compostela. I don't like walking in the heat so this was the perfect time of the year for me. You will need to weigh up what suits you best physically. I found the spring time weather suited me to a T. Enjoy surfing and buen camino.

April is the traditional start time for pilgrimages, going all the way back to Chaucer! Winter's over and the weather gradually improves, leaving you with as much time as you need to complete your journey in good conditions. I usually walk in April and October for more space - these months are either the start and end of the official pilgrim season, when most facilities can be relied on to be open. (Winter pilgrimages, November to March, are also possible but a different matter.) Gathering information from various threads I have understood the busiest months to be May, July, August and September, with a small dip in figures in June
But I'd put a substantial bet on someone soon posting screeds of figures that prove me wrong!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
April is the traditional start time for pilgrimages, going all the way back to Chaucer! Winter's over and the weather gradually improves, leaving you with as much time as you need to complete your journey in good conditions. I usually walk in April and October for more space - these months are either the start and end of the official pilgrim season, when most facilities can be relied on to be open. (Winter pilgrimages, November to March, are also possible but a different matter.) Gathering information from various threads I have understood the busiest months to be May, July, August and September, with a small dip in figures in June
But I'd put a substantial bet on someone soon posting screeds of figures that prove me wrong!

Not really wanting to prove you wrong and not having any figures to support my experience, I was surprised to hear that May is supposed to be one of the busiest months. I walked from Burgos to SDC in May of this year and I did not think it was particularly busy - not even in the last 100 km and I rarely had a problem getting into an albergue (despite hearing horror stories to the contrary!). The weather was basically good although it rained in the last few days of my camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here begins the Book of the Tales of Canterbury

When April with his showers sweet with fruit

The drought of March has pierced unto the root

And bathed each vein with liquor that has power

To generate therein and sire the flower;

When Zephyr also has, with his sweet breath,

Quickened again, in every holt and heath,

The tender shoots and buds, and the young sun

Into the Ram one half his course has run,

And many little birds make melody

That sleep through all the night with open eye

(So Nature pricks them on to ramp and rage)-

Then do folk long to go on pilgrimage,

And palmers to go seeking out strange strands,

To distant shrines well known in sundry lands...

C. Chaucer

September is a form of April in your part of the world so go for it

Buen Camino and No Worries Mate!

Jun,
If you look at the weather stats September is an excellent month for least amount of rain. We hiked our 2 Caminos in September and had one day of rain and 2 nights of rain while we slept. But as stated from everyone above you never know. We will be hiking the Camino Portuguese in September hope our luck remains. But hiking in the rain may be a blessing?
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked Camino sections 3 times in May, once in October and once June-July. June July was the best weather followed by October. All things considered, Iwould not go back in May (unless late May) and, it seems September is actually the best month. This last June-July I took sunscreen, a hat, and a poncho. Never used none of these 3 items. Not once.

Last edited:
Have a look at the events calendar for September on this site. Also, the thread 'Class of 2014' which gives lists of people walking in September. I can't quite remember but I'm sure there are Australians on there. Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here begins the Book of the Tales of Canterbury

When April with his showers sweet with fruit

The drought of March has pierced unto the root

But let's not forget TS Eliot's twist on this theme: 'April is the cruellest month...'

Thanks Falcon for these numbers starting at SJPP. They are important to note for Pyrenées crossers!
It must be said, however, that not all of those listed people walked until Santiago. :(

Thanks Falcon for these numbers starting at SJPP. They are important to note for Pyrenées crossers!
It must be said, however, that not all of those listed people walked until Santiago. :(
Some of us Europeans who must work for a living will sometimes walk for a week or two in one year, then more the next year - we still walk to Santiago, just not all at once!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some of us Europeans who must work for a living will sometimes walk for a week or two in one year, then more the next year - we still walk to Santiago, just not all at once!
We appreciate all of you who continue to work for a living; as we do, too. Or, I did until I finally got to retire and enjoy more adventures. But, the adventures are expensive to access sometimes.
Cheers,
Gretchen

I have received many replies just one day after my first post. They are very helpful and timely. I am touched and cannot say enough to thank your kindness. I also can see you are so passionate about Camino and it really means something to you. I am leaning to surfing this site and hope I will find most of the information I need. God bless. Jun

Hi Jun, I'm thinking of walking it next year in May I'm from Melbourne
Hi Sharls,

Thank you very much for your contact. I really want to do it this September, but would consider next May if I cannot do it this year.

I saw your earlier post seeking advice on whether to book through agent. I have the same question as well. From the replies, most people don't think is necessary to book through agents. I jsut don't know whether the walkers can find a place to sleep by randomly walking into some hostels at the end of each day without booking. I will search for information more today. Could we keep our communication going? Thank you again... Jun

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jun: Yes, I'm starting Sept. 9. Want to join us/me? I love Auzzies!
Gretchen
Good morning Gretchen,
Thank you very much! I will need to spend a lot of time surfing this site for information I need and hope I can fly out in September. I will keep you posted. By the way, how did you plan your Camino? How much booking did you need to make in advance, or what types of bookings you must make in advance apart from the flights? Thank you again.... Jun

Hi Jun Yang
Not Female but I am from Melbourne look on the September 2014 pilgrim on this forum it list all those walking in September and what days, have you booked as I hear people are having trouble in SJPP and Orisson.

Trevor

Hi Sharls,

Thank you very much for your contact. I really want to do it this September, but would consider next May if I cannot do it this year.

I saw your earlier post seeking advice on whether to book through agent. I have the same question as well. From the replies, most people don't think is necessary to book through agents. I jsut don't know whether the walkers can find a place to sleep by randomly walking into some hostels at the end of each day without booking. I will search for information more today. Could we keep our communication going? Thank you again... Jun
I walked it last year and never had aproblem and I am walking it again this year fly out on the 2nd of Sept. I think you may have left it a bit late have you your gear also have you done some walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jun Yang
Not Female but I am from Melbourne look on the September 2014 pilgrim on this forum it list all those walking in September and what days, have you booked as I hear people are having trouble in SJPP and Orisson.

Trevor
Hi Trevor,

Thank you so much for your contact. It sounds you have had everything organized and just counting the days to depart. I am so impressed that this will be your second walk. Are you going for the full walk? I have not done any booking yet and am at the early stage of information gathering and thinking. I initially planned to to go on a Isreal pilgrim tour in October but decided to pull out due to escalating conflict in that region. Hope to hear from you again. Thank you. Jun

Hi Trevor,

Thank you so much for your contact. It sounds you have had everything organized and just counting the days to depart. I am so impressed that this will be your second walk. Are you going for the full walk? I have not done any booking yet and am at the early stage of information gathering and thinking. I initially planned to to go on a Isreal pilgrim tour in October but decided to pull out due to escalating conflict in that region. Hope to hear from you again. Thank you. Jun
Hi Jun Yang
I will be walking the whole Way again last year I ended up in hospital at Santiago for 8 days so one can say I have unfinished business, I have most things from last year along with lessons learnt. I have been counting the days since I was in the taxi going to the airport in Santiago to home, if you need any questions answered just ask.
Trevor
ps. I only book accomondation for the first three nights and I had no problems, also you can pick up anything you need on the way.

Hi Trevor,

This forum will give you heaps of info but don't get stressed and ask if you need help

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you, Trevor. Sorry to hear you got ill in your first walk and could not finish it. No walker wants that to happen him/her!

I have several questions, could you help please?

What flight route do you take to get to St Jean Pied de Port? I asked my travel agent. She said I need to fly to BIARRITZ, FRANCE, then take some land transport to get to St Jean Pied de Port.

Do people living in different time zones normally need 1-2 days to rest after arriving at St Jean Pied de Port, before starting the walk?

If my feet/legs get too tired, can I find a bicycle or bus to take me to Santiago?

If I become ill, what transportation is available to take me to Santiago?

I will look for information at the site as you suggested.

Jun

The best month to walk? This month, no matter what that month is! ;) OK, on a more serious note. From the Biarritz airport there is are buses to Bayonne where there is a train to SJPdP. Many try to share a taxi as if enough the cost works out about the same, is quicker and less stressful (especially after travelling a long way). Look at the "www.expressbourricot.com/en.htm" site. There are buses and trains along the way if you need them to get towards or to SDC.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Well, I don't like the heat, so I chose September and October because, though it was warmer in the first week than I expected, I knew it would get COOLER as I went along. The weather (2013) was gorgeous most days, with enough cloud cover some days to make the skies interesting, and cooler mornings as I traveled west. Only had two days of on-and-off rain until I got to Santiago. Then it rained for most of a week! For me personally, starting in April or May only ensured that it would get HOTTER as I went along. But truly this is such a personal choice. Check in on your internal temperature, the most convenient tome for YOUR schedule, and then go with your informed gut-decision. Buen Camino!

Jun,
If you look at the weather stats September is an excellent month for least amount of rain. We hiked our 2 Caminos in September and had one day of rain and 2 nights of rain while we slept. But as stated from everyone above you never know. We will be hiking the Camino Portuguese in September hope our luck remains. But hiking in the rain may be a blessing?
Buen Camino
Hola,
I am kicking off on 04Sept fm SJpdp, hope to get your kind of weather, God willing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola,
I am kicking off on 04Sept fm SJpdp, hope to get your kind of weather, God willing.
Jason,
We are starting our Camino from Lisbon on Sept 4 maybe we will see you in Santiago.
Buen Camino

Jason,
We are starting our Camino from Lisbon on Sept 4 maybe we will see you in Santiago.
Buen Camino
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts on when it is good time to walk. I prefer to walk in cool and dry weather, so September and October would work for me. To all of you who will do the walk again this year or later, have a wonderful experience again and feel those wonderful feelings again. I know many good feelings can only be felt as words will not be able to describe them. Jun

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts on when it is good time to walk. I prefer to walk in cool and dry weather, so September and October would work for me. To all of you who will do the walk again this year or later, have a wonderful experience again and feel those wonderful feelings again. I know many good feelings can only be felt as words will not be able to describe them. Jun

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Sharls,

Hi Jun
I didn't go through an agent, just booked my flight on a cheap airline that was going to Biarritz. That's the only thing that's fixed for me. From there I plan to go on the Camino del Norte, but I could still decide on arrival that I'll do the Frances instead! I haven't booked any accommodation yet, though when the time gets nearer I might do so in Biarritz or Bayonne, just for the first night. Regarding finding a bed, I'm hoping to be in time each day to get one in a municipal albergue (they don't take advance bookings) and if not that they can point me to somewhere else. I bought a Camino guide that I'm trying to familiarise myself with so that I know what the stages and levels of difficulty are going to be and can have an idea where I should stop, where I should buy stuff to take to the next stage, that sort of thing. Apart from that my only plan is to go as far as I want, stop, eat, sleep and do the same the next day or take a rest day ... just follow my Camino.
Hope you have a fantastic time.
Mary Kate

Jason,
Buen Camino

Hola,
There's Singapore couple starting on 05Sep fm Lisbon. They hv done CF last yr. Forum name is MichaelSG. You might meet them. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good morning Gretchen,
Thank you very much! I will need to spend a lot of time surfing this site for information I need and hope I can fly out in September. I will keep you posted. By the way, how did you plan your Camino? How much booking did you need to make in advance, or what types of bookings you must make in advance apart from the flights? Thank you again.... Jun
So far, I've found this forum very helpful for planning purposes. I planned and re planned many times. I made reservations in SJPdP and Orrison but after that, I'll don't have a set itinerary. I'm going to play it as I go. I'd like to detour to several northern towns as I'll be only an hour away by bus. Hate to pass up an opportunity to see the rest of the area. And, of course, try all the food specialities. We have a Pilgrims Association in Phoenix so I joined and by listening to their Camino travel stories, I've been able to learn more. You likely have a similar group in Australia. Very comforting and helpful.
Cheers,
Gretchen

Hi Jun
I didn't go through an agent, just booked my flight on a cheap airline that was going to Biarritz. That's the only thing that's fixed for me. From there I plan to go on the Camino del Norte, but I could still decide on arrival that I'll do the Frances instead! I haven't booked any accommodation yet, though when the time gets nearer I might do so in Biarritz or Bayonne, just for the first night. Regarding finding a bed, I'm hoping to be in time each day to get one in a municipal albergue (they don't take advance bookings) and if not that they can point me to somewhere else. I bought a Camino guide that I'm trying to familiarise myself with so that I know what the stages and levels of difficulty are going to be and can have an idea where I should stop, where I should buy stuff to take to the next stage, that sort of thing. Apart from that my only plan is to go as far as I want, stop, eat, sleep and do the same the next day or take a rest day ... just follow my Camino.
Hope you have a fantastic time.
Mary Kate

Hi Mary Kate,
Thank you for your reply. You are on good track as you have done quite a lot of preparation work and have a clear idea of what you will do. In regard to accomondation, I want to do the same as well, i.e. sleep in a community bunker or a more comfortable place depending on the condition of my mind and body of the day, if I have this choice. I was recently introduced to a group of people who have done camino and have regular monthly dinner together. I went to their dinner last night the first time and I am really glad I went. I learnt some important information from them (the conversation could have gone far better if the restaurant was not noisy). Quite a few mature aged women did the full walk individually and had little problems. If you are interested in meeting this group, please let me know. They told me to buy this book "A pilgrim's guide to the Camino de Santiago" by John Brierley. I am still thinking and cannot decide whether to go on my own or not.
Best wishes to you,
Jun

They told me to buy this book "A pilgrim's guide to the Camino de Santiago" by John Brierley. I am still thinking and cannot decide whether to go on my own or not.
There is nothing wrong with walking with someone else, but be certain that each of you is self-reliant. Walking partners who become dependent can suck the life out of your walk. One advantage of finding new friends on the Camino is that you can change them daily! While that is rarely necessary, it is comforting to know that you can do it with very little rancor. There may be a lot of rancor, if you part from a friend from home. When you have settled into your pace, you probably will discover that you meet your Camino friends in the evening, but walk independently during the day. A common cause of injury is walking at the pace of someone else. Keep the walk-and-talk sessions short, and join fellow pilgrims for longer talks at bars and restaurants.

By all means, take a friend if he/she WANTS to go, and is committed to taking care of himself (with your moral support, of course). A Camino is hard; be sure a companion makes it easier, not harder.;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is nothing wrong with walking with someone else, but be certain that each of you is self-reliant. Walking partners who become dependent can suck the life out of your walk. One advantage of finding new friends on the Camino is that you can change them daily! While that is rarely necessary, it is comforting to know that you can do it with very little rancor. There may be a lot of rancor, if you part from a friend from home. When you have settled into your pace, you probably will discover that you meet your Camino friends in the evening, but walk independently during the day. A common cause of injury is walking at the pace of someone else. Keep the walk-and-talk sessions short, and join fellow pilgrims for longer talks at bars and restaurants.

By all means, take a friend if he/she WANTS to go, and is committed to taking care of himself (with your moral support, of course). A Camino is hard; be sure a companion makes it easier, not harder.;)

Thank you! What you said makes a lot of sense!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Mary Kate,
Thank you for your reply. You are on good track as you have done quite a lot of preparation work and have a clear idea of what you will do. In regard to accomondation, I want to do the same as well, i.e. sleep in a community bunker or a more comfortable place depending on the condition of my mind and body of the day, if I have this choice. I was recently introduced to a group of people who have done camino and have regular monthly dinner together. I went to their dinner last night the first time and I am really glad I went. I learnt some important information from them (the conversation could have gone far better if the restaurant was not noisy). Quite a few mature aged women did the full walk individually and had little problems. If you are interested in meeting this group, please let me know. They told me to buy this book "A pilgrim's guide to the Camino de Santiago" by John Brierley. I am still thinking and cannot decide whether to go on my own or not.
Best wishes to you,
Jun
Hi Jun, I agree with falcon 269's reply about doing the Camino with/without a companion. Don't be scared of doing it alone. The CF seems to be busy and as safe a place for a single woman as any on the planet. I'm sure you will quickly find other 'doing-it-alone'ers to chat and share a meal with - while able to pick up and go when you like, stop when you like without rancour or being a burden. Regarding Brierley, I haven't bought the book as I'm doing a different route but it seems to be a good guide for familiarising yourself with the route and becoming aware of the stages that get busy simply because of the numbers following them; you will be better able to know where to avoid if nothing else. Buen Camino.
Mary

We did the Frances in April - May. All up we had about 8 days when we had rain. Some days it was a heavy down pour, other days just drizzle. April was less busy, May was really busy the closer we got to Santiago. Don't hesitate to do the Camino on your own, it's the greatest social walk you will ever do. But beware! It is additive. We are going back next year to do the Le Puy route.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Good walking weather which requires some warmer cloathing for the cool mornings and nights - April or October - spring or Autumn - forget the figures. However , if you want stinking hot ........... never ending days , August can be great , but busy.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back