• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Non-Santiago Hikes/Pilgrimages?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPP-Finisterre, 2015
CP, Porto-Finisterre-Muxia, 2016
Hey folks,

I'm off to do my second Camino soon but my ind is already pondering other adventures. I'm eyeing the Camino Assisi, though I'm interested to hear about other treks/pilgrimages in Europe that people recommend. They can be just a couple days, or even a few weeks long. Ideally I am looking for some solitude and scenic beauty :)

Thanks in advance!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
well, if you are more interested in nature/mountains than stones&bones, then there are countless of trails in Europe, ranging from the Iceland to Corsica. just to mention Kungsleden in Sweden, Ötztal trek in Tirol, Tour du Mont Blanc and GR5 in Alps, GR10/GR11/HRP in Pyrenees etc. if you want to check out your limits, take a look at GR20 in Corsica. all of them are doable in summer without special equipment and not really walking on glaciers. still you may need an insurance for rescue up to 6000m. the one from Österreichische Alpenverein is a real bargain.
if still not enough then there are no less via ferratas at your disposition.
you may go all these trails on your own, or use service of travel agencies which will help with accommodation, transportation and guiding.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will embark on the West Highland Way of Scotland in August! Greatly looking forward to it, and hoping that I can avoid the midgies of Scotland, which seem tantamount to the bedbugs of Spain!

A great route. And if you have time you can carry on north along the Great Glen Way past Loch Ness to Inverness. I hope you get decent breezes when you are walking. Midgies may be vicious little ******s but they don't fly in windy weather or rain! Here's a song about "The Curse of Scotland". The recording is old and low quality but fun all the same :) :
http://www.trossachs-scotland.co.uk/music/the midge.wav
and here are the lyrics:
http://www.trossachs-scotland.co.uk/scottishsongs/curse.htm

I loved the Coast to Coast Walk across Northern England. 3oo kms of varied terrain and gorgeous scenery. Some year I will do the longer Pennine Way up the spine of Englamd.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In England Hadrian's Wall, Pennine Way, St Cuthbert's Way and in Wales the Pembrokeshire coastal path.
In Ireland Wicklow Way, Kerry Way, Wild Atlantic Way, Burren Way, Dingle Way, Irish Coast to Coast, Ulster Way

The Camino Ignacio in Spain is a good, challenging walk in Spain. The portion in the Basque country is stunning and the balance goes through some gorgeous cities and towns. I have a link to my blog with some photos down in my signature.

Next month we'll be walking the Italian section of the Via Francigena which might also be of interest to you.

A great route. And if you have time you can carry on north along the Great Glen Way past Loch Ness to Inverness. I hope you get decent breezes when you are walking. Midgies may be vicious little ******s but they don't fly in windy weather or rain! Here's a song about "The Curse of Scotland". The recording is old and low quality but fun all the same :) :
http://www.trossachs-scotland.co.uk/music/the midge.wav
and here are the lyrics:
http://www.trossachs-scotland.co.uk/scottishsongs/curse.htm
Hilarious Bradypus.....thanks for the post. I have such warm memories of all the Scottish relations gathering after a big weekly dinner in Toronto and singing their hearts out about 'home', that being Aberdeen on my Mum's side and Dundee on my Father's side.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm interested to hear about other treks/pilgrimages in Europe that people recommend. ...Ideally I am looking for some solitude and scenic beauty
I have walked from Prague to Geneva (well, Lausanne - no one actually walks from Lausanne to Geneva as there is a boat) along the marked Jakobsweg/Via Jacobi route. (Daily details in my blog.) The Czech Republic is inexpensive, solitary (in May), sparsely settled and quite rough the further west you go. Germany is well-supplied, beautiful walking, moderately priced and one meets one or two other hikers many days. Switzerland offers spectacular scenery, high prices, and several other walkers a day (in June). Germany and Switzerland often offer monastery guesthouses. Although the guidebooks for these sections are in German, you can get along with mostly English.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I loved the Coast to Coast Walk across Northern England. 3oo kms of varied terrain and gorgeous scenery. Some year I will do the longer Pennine Way up the spine of Englamd.

I also loved the Coast to Coast, three National Parks and two oceans to dip your toes into! The first photo is St Bees on the Irish sea and the second is the North SEa at Robin Hoods Bay.

Attachments

• Scan10014.JPG
    Scan10014.JPG
    532.8 KB · Views: 10
  • North Sea.jpg
    North Sea.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 9
South West Coastal Path 630 mile with 110,000 feet of ascent is bloomin fantastic. Starts at Minehead in Somerset & ends at South Haven (Poole Harbour entrance) in Dorset....some days you will not see a living soul all day.
Pembrokshire Coastal is pretty good too....about 185 ish miles

Hey folks,

I'm off to do my second Camino soon but my ind is already pondering other adventures. I'm eyeing the Camino Assisi, though I'm interested to hear about other treks/pilgrimages in Europe that people recommend. They can be just a couple days, or even a few weeks long. Ideally I am looking for some solitude and scenic beauty :)

Thanks in advance!!
You could try the European Peace Walk - http://peacewalk.eu/ - 2016 is only the third year that it has been going.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The French follow up one of the pilgrimage routes with the Chemin Robert Louis Stevenson, retracing the route RLS took and wrote about in "Travels with a Donkey"

My husband and I walked part of the Ring of Kerry in Ireland and stayed at farm guesthouses along the way. Check out Waymarked trails in Ireland. They are national trails that are marked, but you take an ordinance map with you. Very pretty scenery and not heavily travelled at all. There are companies that take care of the logistics for you, but I just copied their itinerary myself and made the arrangements. It cost about half their price. We walked from Killarney to Glenbeigh.

http://www.irishtrails.ie/National_Waymarked_Trails/

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I will embark on the West Highland Way of Scotland in August! Greatly looking forward to it, and hoping that I can avoid the midgies of Scotland, which seem tantamount to the bedbugs of Spain!
Hi CaminoDebrita

I've done the West Highland Way 2 times so if you are looking for any questions answered, I'd be more than happy to be of assistance.

Regards

Seamus

Has anyone done the Kungsleden? I'm planning to do 10 days of it this August and would love to chat with someone who has done it :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am leaving September 7th for Scotland and will walk the John Muir Way from Helensburgh to Dunbar which is John Muir's birthplace with two friends. It will be a very different walk, that is for sure. All accommodations are arranged along with luggage transport. B&B's appear to be 4star all the way because that's the way one of my friends likes to travel. We'll walk 220k in 11 days and will spend 3 days in Edinburgh after the walk.. I'm keeping an open mind and I know it will be a grand adventure. A highlight will be the three days I spend in Iceland.

We're walking the WHW early Sept., definitely hoping the midges are gone by then! Have a great trip.

Hi CaminoDebrita

I've done the West Highland Way 2 times so if you are looking for any questions answered, I'd be more than happy to be of assistance.

Regards

Seamus
Seamus I was planning on walking the John Muir Way for Spring 2017 (before another Camino) but have since learned there are m a n y cyclists. Nothing against cyclists; I just prefer more of a walkers trail, so now looking at the map showing both the Great Glen which conjoins with the West Highland Way. I want to walk with 'the wind at my back'. Because of time limits, it may just be from Fort William to Inverness,with some add-on side travel further north. Nothing is in stone yet.
My question is about accommodations in May/June. Is it all high end lodging, or are there some reasonable B&Bs?…Thanks. Maggie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How much of the year can you realistically walk in Scotland? I have plotted out a wonderful trip taking in many of the hiking routes, but it would take about 3 months. Is there that much good weather in the land I originally hail from?

Last edited:
How much of the year can you realistically walk in Scotland? I have plotted out a wonderful trip taking in many of the hiking routes, but it would take about 3 months. Is there that much good weather in the land I originally hail form?
Forum member Bradypus would be a good one to ask. He also hails from there and is an avid long distance walker. I'm choosing May/June simply because of Edinburgh's friends schedule. So could be rain, midges, and who knows? It is Scotland after all. Maggie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How much of the year can you realistically walk in Scotland? I have plotted out a wonderful trip taking in many of the hiking routes, but it would take about 3 months. Is there that much good weather in the land I originally hail from?
Not a Scot, but have lived in the UK and walked in Scotland. It really depends on the chosen route. I walked the John Muir Way in November and it was fine, with the right equipment. If you post your dream route, we can give you more input about the best time to go. Buen Camino, SY

We're walking the WHW early Sept., definitely hoping the midges are gone by then! Have a great trip.

Really depends on how warm the weather is this summer. Always very unpredictable in Scotland. July and August are normally the peak period for midges. The worst swarms will have passed by early September but warm days can still produce a few. Many people find midges no more than a minor annoyance. Others like me react badly to insect bites and are covered in red itchy lumps. I would err on the side of caution and take a little insect repellent and a long-sleeved shirt just in case.

@Kiwi-family : I have sent you a PM.

Another option not in Europe is the Israel National Trail 1000 km 55 day walk across Israel. If you want solitude then 21 days crossing the Negva desert will give you lots of solitude. There is also plenty of history and culture.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Really depends on how warm the weather is this summer. Always very unpredictable in Scotland. July and August are normally the peak period for midges. The worst swarms will have passed by early September but warm days can still produce a few. Many people find midges no more than a minor annoyance. Others like me react badly to insect bites and are covered in red itchy lumps. I would err on the side of caution and take a little insect repellent and a long-sleeved shirt just in case.

@Kiwi-family : I have sent you a PM.
Thanks @Bradypus , I'll make sure we have both. Heading to Speyside for a 4 day Whiskey Walk after the WHW, any suggestions?

Thanks @Bradypus , I'll make sure we have both. Heading to Speyside for a 4 day Whiskey Walk after the WHW, any suggestions?

Not sure what sort of suggestions you mean. Having lived in England and then Wales for the last 20 years I am not very up to date with events in Scotland. A lot of newly waymarked walking routes since I left. One little pedantic point though: in Scotland it would be a "Whisky Walk" without an "e" :) After you have tried a few Speyside malts do try to taste one or two of the very peaty and smoky malts from Islay or Skye for an interesting contrast: either Laphroaig (Islay) or Talisker (Skye) should be available in most decent bars. A very different experience.

Corsica has many long distance walks, going uo and down.

Question is: what other trail will give you a better cost:pleasure ratio than Spain's walks?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
... After you have tried a few Speyside malts do try to taste one or two of the very peaty and smoky malts from Islay or Skye for an interesting contrast: either Laphroaig (Islay) or Talisker (Skye) should be available in most decent bars. A very different experience.

Or one of the wee drams of the Isle of Jura ;-) Slainte, SY

Hi CaminoDebrita

Regards

Seamus

Hi @supersullivan ! Thanks very much.

I am looking forward to our trip, but also a little nervous about it as I have been overwhelmed this summer with a lot going on with friends and family. Also, I'm the "big planner" because my husband expects it of me.

What I decided to do was get some help booking accommodation, through MacAdventure. I was starting to work at booking places to sleep, but I'm all the way over in NW USA, so I decided---never mind that!

What I am currently wondering is if I can leave about eight days "unbooked" as I will finish the W. Highland walk, then have a little time to meander. My husband is much less of a "seat of the pants" traveler than I am. I really hate booking a place to stay every night.

I would like to be in Fort Williams, then take a train back to Glasgow--and then meander over to Dunborough--then make my way to a little town on the east coast of England, Patrington. From there, I just need to make my way back to London for travel back to the USA. I need to figure out if I can leave accommodations unbooked comfortably; don't want to get in trouble with the man....

Deb

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Doug, Got an error message. Would love to see that book. Jill
Yes, Peter is no longer maintaining the site at the address that I gave. I understand that it has been archived, but I don't have the archive address available right now. If I can find it, I will let you know what it is.

ps try https://www.peterrobins.co.uk/, it has a redirection notice there.

Depends on which party of Scotland you are going to, and the particular weather that year. Last year October was wonderful but some years it can be rain snow and high winds. May is traditionally good month. Pm me with more details if you like

I am looking forward to our trip, but also a little nervous about it as I have been overwhelmed this summer with a lot going on with friends and family. Also, I'm the "big planner" because my husband expects it of me.

What I decided to do was get some help booking accommodation, through MacAdventure. I was starting to work at booking places to sleep, but I'm all the way over in NW USA, so I decided---never mind that!

What I am currently wondering is if I can leave about eight days "unbooked" as I will finish the W. Highland walk, then have a little time to meander. My husband is much less of a "seat of the pants" traveler than I am. I really hate booking a place to stay every night.

I would like to be in Fort Williams, then take a train back to Glasgow--and then meander over to Dunborough--then make my way to a little town on the east coast of England, Patrington. From there, I just need to make my way back to London for travel back to the USA. I need to figure out if I can leave accommodations unbooked comfortably; don't want to get in trouble with the man....

Deb
Take day when you in fort William to do train out to mallaig and back, featured in Harry potter film, and apparently one of best routes in world. You can even do it by steam trainhttp://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/jacobite-steam-train-details.cfm

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Deb
Deb, with apologies. I just got back at 11 pm tonight from a 3 week hiking holiday in Czech Republic. I will have a day off work tomorrow to read up on your questions and offer any suggestions/ thoughts that cross my mind.

Seamus

Seamus I was planning on walking the John Muir Way for Spring 2017 (before another Camino) but have since learned there are m a n y cyclists. Nothing against cyclists; I just prefer more of a walkers trail, so now looking at the map showing both the Great Glen which conjoins with the West Highland Way. I want to walk with 'the wind at my back'. Because of time limits, it may just be from Fort William to Inverness,with some add-on side travel further north. Nothing is in stone yet.
My question is about accommodations in May/June. Is it all high end lodging, or are there some reasonable B&Bs?…Thanks. Maggie

Maggie, I have yet to walk the Great Glen Way so can only comment based on a little on line research I did a couple of years ago. Because the W.H.W, was my 1st multi day hike and I was uncertain how I would endure I used a company ( Absolute Escapes ) to book my accommodation and arrange for a small suitcase to be forwarded day to day as I was uncertain about the likely weather but still carried about 10 kgs daily in backpack ( thermos of coffee, 1.5 litres of water, good raingear etc. ), in terms of terrain the G.G.W. is definitely physically easier but the W.H.W. divides nicely into more even distance days. Accommodation wise I was mainly in B and B's with a night in The Bridge of Orchy hotel one year and The King House Hotel another. Because you are in prime coach party tourism ground ( Loch Lomond and Glencoe on W.H.W. ), ( Loch Ness and Inverness on G.G.W. ) accommodation costs are not cheap. Certainly mid May would be both a good time to miss prime tourist season, likely to be reasonable weatherwise and well away from prime midge season. Alas I can't give you current B & B costs but this link might be able to help you considerably:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/send...HlT8Rhy9D0sW66hoCg5j4w/MXFqeJHBvcx2VHQyMN8wRw

Best of luck with your plans, I am hoping in 2018 or 2019 to walk the W.H.W. and G.G.W. as a back to back 11/ 12 day hiking holiday and might well be knocking on your internet door for your advise/ suggestions.

Regards

Seamus

Last edited:

Deb

Deb, hope this will be a little help. August is prime tourist / coach party season and the area around Fort William ( end point of W.H.W. and start point of Great Glen Way ) can be heavily booked. Possible option might be to book your extra days in Fort William and use as a base for doing a series of 1 day hikes. This site might prove very helpful:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/send...HlT8Rhy9D0sW66hoCg5j4w/MXFqeJHBvcx2VHQyMN8wRw

Steall Falls is definitely worth a full day exploring the upper reaches of the valley, Ben Nevis - for the all the tourists is another day well spent and the link should provide you with many other options should you choose that option.

Regards, Seamus

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Just this morning I read an article in Backpacker magazine (September 2016 issue) about the Abraham Path. The article was mostly about the portion that runs through the West Bank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Path says "The Abraham Path is a long-distance walking trail across the Middle East which connects the sites visited by the patriarch Abraham as recorded in ancient religious texts and traditions. The path begins in the north in Yuvacalı, Turkey, which is a village located north of the city of Urfa (natively: Şanlıurfa), and goes as far south as Beersheba in the Negev desert of Israel."

There are a few mentions on this website also:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/4498752/?q=abraham+path&o=date&c[node]=93

Another UK suggestion. I have just returned home from a 5 day walk from Shrewsbury to Holywell with my good friend @andy.d . Until the Reformation Shrewsbury Abbey housed a shrine to St Winifride who was martyred (temporarily!) at Holywell in north Wales, was later buried near Conwy, and whose bones were much later moved to Shrewsbury. The basis for the first Cadfael story by Ellis Peters. We created our own route using part of the Severn Way, passed a less famous St Winifride well near Oswestry, then joined the Offa's Dyke Path for 3 days which took us to within a few hours south of Holywell. Some stunning but very challenging walking in places. At Holywell we Anglican heretics were very warmly welcomed at the shrine, took part in the daily litany and veneration of St Winifride's relic, and were kindly given permission to bathe in the holy well pool outside the normal hours after arriving too late. Altogether a very enjoyable and enriching experience. I think that with a little imagination and research we can all create our personal pilgrim routes.

Last edited:
Yes - it was a great walk. It's definitely possible to create routes that link the old pilgrim sites together. No problems navigating, and very warm welcomes at either end

€60,-
Doing some browsing this afternoon I came across an interesting website on Scottish long distance paths. Lots of useful information and links. Well worth a look for those thinking of a Scottish journey.
http://www.scotlandsgreattrails.org.uk/
http://www.scotlandsgreattrails.org.uk/pdfs/Scotland's Great Trail leaflet.pdf

There's another one recommended by a local Scot here; not sure of exact site address, but if you Google....walkhighlands.org, it should get you there.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back