• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best of Rome photo album

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
The Via Francigena must be a serious undertaking, but how lucky for those who complete it that the reward at the end is Rome itself!

I might not have said this on the forum before, but I lived in Rome seasonally from 2001-2004, and I have been back at least once every year since 2006. Basically, Rome is where Wendy and I feel like we belong and we hope to move back one day.

We just spent a month in Rome and I did a lot of curating and updating of my 'Best of Rome' photo album that I have maintained for 15 years, so I'm sharing it here for anyone who is interested in seeing photos of my explorations of the Eternal City.

Best of Rome on Flickr

49151570838_68c710f9e4_c.jpg

Additionally, I have written two articles about Roman monuments for the Following Hadrian project, including one published a few days ago:

'The many lives of an eternal monument': the Mausoleum of Augustus renewed (2021)

'Always in all things changeable': the emperor and his tomb (2018)

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.
I feel the same way about Venice, but not the touristy parts, we have been visiting since 1976 and we always try and stay in the non tourist sections and I love exploring the alleys and back alleys where ordinary Venetians live and work.
Wayfayer,
Lucky you to be visiting Venice so often! The two years in the mid 70s that I taught there I always took the overnight sleeper-train from Paris via Ventimiglia. My local Vaporetto stop was the Fondamenta Nuove! ...Happy memories.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Rome is the best. I’ve spent about four or five months there on long visits, and I’m always plotting to move there. Nice photo album, and tonight I’ll take a look at your articles. Has anyone read Margaret Vissers book, “the Geometry of Love?” It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read, a detailed discussion off the church Saint Agnes Outside the Walls (Sant'Agnese fuori le mura) . A love letter to a Roman church.

An open library link to it:

Last edited:
Have you ever read Margaret Vissers book, “the Geometry of Love?” It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read, a detailed discussion off the church Saint Agnes Outside the Walls (Sant'Agnese fuori le mura) . A love letter to a Roman church.
No I haven't, thanks for letting me know about it. I just visited the church a few weeks ago for the first time and I love the historical layers of Rome so this looks like it's right up my alley.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for sharing the photos and the article, Nick. I've only had time for a cursory look at both right now, but of bookmarked them for a more leisurely and comprehensive look at a later time.

Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing.
I feel the same way about Venice, but not the touristy parts, we have been visiting since 1976 and we always try and stay in the non tourist sections and I love exploring the alleys and back alleys where ordinary Venetians live and work.
In addition to Rome, I also have happy memories of Venice too, although only had two glorious days there on a bus tour. I also ventured to the less touristy sections and it was a totally different feel, although I loved both. Venice has occasionally been listed as the most beautiful city in the world...I get why it is so.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Via Francigena must be a serious undertaking, but how lucky for those who complete it that the reward at the end is Rome itself!

I might not have said this on the forum before, but I lived in Rome seasonally from 2001-2004, and I have been back at least once every year since 2006. Basically, Rome is where Wendy and I feel like we belong and we hope to move back one day.

We just spent a month in Rome and I did a lot of curating and updating of my 'Best of Rome' photo album that I have maintained for 15 years, so I'm sharing it here for anyone who is interested in seeing photos of my explorations of the Eternal City.

Best of Rome on Flickr

View attachment 112363

Additionally, I have written two articles about Roman monuments for the Following Hadrian project, including one published a few days ago:

'The many lives of an eternal monument': the Mausoleum of Augustus renewed (2021)

Thank you for the virtual return visit! Great photos.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love your photos. They bring back fond memories of my semester in Rome. One of my favorite memories was a lecture on Hadrian's tomb from the Sant'Angelo Bridge in front, and a man, who can be best described a Quasimodo look a like, was sticking his head out of the little window above the entrance doorway making faces at our class.

Best of Rome on Flickr

View attachment 112363

Great photos. I would like this one in a 16x20.

. Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 4.29.30 PM.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You have a wonderful gift as a photographer. I loved your pics. I have been to rome twice and I can't wait to return hopefully in 2022. Do you have the locations of each of your photos? Thank you for this great art work of yours
Thank you! :)

My camera doesn't have location tagging but I have captioned all the photos on Flickr with the name of the place/church etc. If there are any in particular that you would like to know the precise location of, let me know.

Buon viaggio in 2022!

Thank you! :)

My camera doesn't have location tagging but I have captioned all the photos on Flickr with the name of the place/church etc. If there are any in particular that you would like to know the precise location of, let me know.

Buon viaggio in 2022!
Thanks. How do we find you on flicker?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You have a wonderful gift as a photographer. I loved your pics. I have been to rome twice and I can't wait to return hopefully in 2022. Do you have the locations of each of your photos? Thank you for this great art work of yours
I found you on the flickr. Thanks again

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back