• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best part of the Camino del Norte?

digbynz

Hey-

My friends and I are planning to hike along this route for about 7 days this summer. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best part to hike? We're very keen to stay near the sea, go through scenic villages, and see some ruins along the way. It's not necessary for us to finish at the Santiago de Compostela. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would agree with 2 caveats. First he climb out off Irun (El Purgatorio) was for me the most demanding section of the entire Camino del Norte/Camino Primitivo/Camino fisterre that I walked in 2018, and its the first couple hours of the first day on the trail!
Second, the last day into Bilbao was a total waste, walking on paved roads thru industrial areas.
The section between Playa la Arena and Santander were my favorites on the del Norte. I made every effort to walk as much as possible along the coast and in retrospect it was well worth the effort.

Contrariwise I would strongly advocate for Irun to Bilbao. Close to the sea, scenic villages and some spectacular industrial ruins on the final day into Bilbao. A ruined fishing industry, collapsed steel manufacture, abandoned ship-building yards and a dead posh art gallery designed by an outsider and built out of imported materials. What’s not to like.
If you want pretty try Santander to the aptly named Villaviciosa 😉

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Second, the last day into Bilbao was a total waste, walking on paved roads thru industrial areas.
I never consider any portion of the Camino to be a "waste." On parts that are less enjoyable I learn more about the country that I'm walking through than I can learn from only walking along beautiful seascapes.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.