• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best parts of Lisbon to Porto

Brety

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
my wife and I are embarking on the Camino Portuguese in a month... Nervous and excited.

We're leaving ourselves 3 weeks to get from Porto - SDC - Muxia

We also have 2 weeks to get from Lisbon to Porto before that, as were not the most experienced walkers and would like to ease into it, get used to the hear, we'd like to shorten this and just do a smaller, more relaxed, hopefully less highway traffic part...

Any advice? Where do you think is a good section to start with? The more I read the harder it is. We will keep flexible to allow for the way to guide us... But I'd just like to hear what others think are most worth a look!

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We also have 2 weeks to get from Lisbon to Porto before that, as were not the most experienced walkers and would like to ease into it, get used to the hear, we'd like to shorten this and just do a smaller, more relaxed, hopefully less highway traffic part...

Hi, welcome to the forum! Some suggestions:

Day 1: Cathedral to Oriente; stop for a couple of hours at the Tile Museum (Museo Azulejo); it is absolutely fascinating. Book a couple of beds at the youth hostel in Moscavide.

Day 2: Walk the section along the river to Sacavem, then get on a train to Vila Franca de Xira. Stay at the Ribatejana, on the left as you exit the station.

Day 3: Get the train to Santarem, explore the town, and stay at the Santarem Hostel, not far from the Tourist Office.

Day 4: Get the train to Tomar, via Entroncamento. OR:

Be adventurous! Get the train to Entroncamento. Download a google map for how to walk to Quinta Cardiga (look it up), then walk from there to Vila Nova Barquina. I can recommend Pensao Soltejo for accommodation and food. Then see if you can get a boat to Almourol Castle in the afternoon, otherwise there’s a nice riverside park here at Barquina. There’s a bit about it in Brierley.

Day 5: From Tomar (or Entroncamento) take a day trip to Fatima.

Day 6: Spend the day at the castle in Tomar, and take the late afternoon bus to Alvaiazere. Stay at the Albergaria Pinheiro.

Day 7: Walk to Ansiao. I can recommend Adega Tipica for accommodation and food.

Day 8: Walk to Rabacal and stay at the Casa de Turismo in the centre of the village, next to the museum.

Day 9: Walk to Conimbriga and visit the ruins; not to be missed! There are places to stay a bit further on in Condeixa-a-Nova.

Day 10: Get the bus to Coimbra, lots of places to stay (I can recommend Pensao Domus), and explore this lovely city.

Day 11: Walk to Mealhada and stay at Residential Oasis, or at the albergue further out of town.

Day 12: Walk to Agueda and stay at the Ribeirinho, also great food here.

Day 13: Walk to Albergaria-a-Velha. Both Casa Alameda and Pensao Parente offer good budget accommodation and food. Or stay at Casa Diocesana further on (you need to phone them first).

Day 14: Walk to Oliveira de Azemeis, ask locals how to get to the bus station, and get a bus to Porto. You have to change buses in Sao Joao da Madeira, but your ticket is valid right through.

Bom Caminho! Jill

Thanks Jill

Sounds like some amazing stops along the way!
How many k's do you think on average for this?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Jill

Sounds like some amazing stops along the way!
How many k's do you think on average for this?

Hi

Cathedral to Moscavide: 9.5 km

Moscavide to Sacavem: 4 km

Entroncamento Train Station to Quinta da Cardiga: 4 km

Quinta da Cardiga to Vila Nova da Barquinha: 3 km

Alvaiazere to Ansiao: 14.5 km

Ansiao to Rabacal: 18 km

Rabacal to Conimbriga: 11 km

Conimbriga to Condeixa-a-Nova: 2 km

Coimbra to Mealhada: 22.5 km

Mealhada to Agueda: 25.5 km

Agueda to Albergaria-a-Velha: 16.5 km

Albergaria-a-Velha to Oliveira de Azemeis: 20 km

Jill

Jill's plan sounds really good. Visiting the parts I liked the most between Lisbon and Porto. Skipping the boring parts, genius Jill.

The castle in Tomar was really nice.

I really loved the walk between Alvaiazere to Ansiao. In the albergue in Alvaiazere I got the most beautiful cello.

If you stay in Condeixa-a-Nova take a walk to Orelhudo a village next to Condeixa it is a pretty village with either running everywhere. I liked it.

I walked every step from Lisbon to Santiago in Maj- June 2015 and to Finisterre and would not want to skip any parts of it.
Love it all and will be returning to Portugal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi

Cathedral to Moscavide: 9.5 km

Moscavide to Sacavem: 4 km

Entroncamento Train Station to Quinta da Cardiga: 4 km

Quinta da Cardiga to Vila Nova da Barquinha: 3 km

Alvaiazere to Ansiao: 14.5 km

Ansiao to Rabacal: 18 km

Rabacal to Conimbriga: 11 km

Conimbriga to Condeixa-a-Nova: 2 km

Coimbra to Mealhada: 22.5 km

Mealhada to Agueda: 25.5 km

Agueda to Albergaria-a-Velha: 16.5 km

Albergaria-a-Velha to Oliveira de Azemeis: 20 km

Jill

Hi Jill

Thanks so much for your advice, we're now walking on past Porto and feeling great.

We pretty much did most things you suggested and loved it.

The only difference was we walked day 1 to the new albergue 25k out of Lisbon in alpriate. It was lovely though a long first day in the heat.

We really loved tomar, santarem, alvaiasere, Ansiao .

There were a lot of long days were glad we skipped but was definitely worth doing the section. Lots of solitude but also met some lovely Portuguese and pilgrims along the way.

Now on to Santiago!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back