• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best place for a 2 to 3 night stay in Leon

TonyC

Geriatric
Time of past OR future Camino
(2014/5) Frances Pt1 & Pt2
(2016) Portuguese, from Lisbon
(2018) Frances in Sep/Oct
(2019) Yorkshire
At the end of April we plan to re-start our Camino , from where we left off last year, namely Bercianos del Real Camino. A few days later we expect to reach Leon where we want to spend 2-3 days exploring. As we'll be staying more than one night we can't stay in a municipal or religious albergue, so we're looking for a small hotel or similar.

Obviously we could just look on the internet, but we would feel happier with a place that others have stayed at and would recommend. Ideally we are looking for somewhere fairly central and near the Camino route, and are prepared to pay reasonable hotel rates, not necessarily rock-bottom prices. We did consider the Parador, and would have stayed there if it had only been for one night.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Tony,
I stayed here in 2012. Clean and reasonable, €45.00 for a double. Five to seven minutes walk to the Cathedral and about two minutes from the Camino. Google it or check Trip Adviser.

Hostal Oviedo
Avda. de Roma, 26, 24001 León, Spain
+34 987 22 22 36

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For something a step up from the pensiones listed above (all fine places, but you said you were looking for a small hotel) I'd recommend the Posada Regia. http://www.regialeon.com
It's on the main drag, Regidores, where it has turned into the pedestrian street that goes up to the cathedral.
I've seen that they have opened an annex, where I've never stayed, but the main hotel is in an old stone building with creaky wooden stairs and the staff have always been very helpful and kind to me.

I've also stayed in the Boccalino, right across from the un-missable romanesque pantheon of San Isidoro. Hotel is nothing out of this world, but fine. http://www.hotelboccalino.es/hotel/

Last time I was in Leon, I saw the newly opened NH Plaza Mayor, which looked very nice. I sent some friends there who loved it. The Plaza Mayor in Leon has never been the central gathering place that other plazas mayores are, so they said it wasn't in a hectic part of town but very close to everything. http://www.nh-collection.com/hotel/nh-collection-leon-plaza-mayor.

I had a few days to spend in Leon as I recovered from a foot injury, and really enjoyed a trip to the pretty un-touristy museum of Leon. It has lots of archaeological finds. http://www.museodeleon.com/cgi-bin/zdoc30/portada.pl

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you don't want (almost) albergue like experience this is not for you. You can book double room though! But in my eyes that's the best you can get money/location wise in Leon:
http://www.residenciaunamuno.com/es

Have a nice Camino!

Visited twice on holiday with family and on each occasion stayed at the Parador which is lovely and a treat

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For something a step up from the pensiones listed above (all fine places, but you said you were looking for a small hotel) I'd recommend the Posada Regia. http://www.regialeon.com
It's on the main drag, Regidores, where it has turned into the pedestrian street that goes up to the cathedral.
I've seen that they have opened an annex, where I've never stayed, but the main hotel is in an old stone building with creaky wooden stairs and the staff have always been very helpful and kind to me.

I've also stayed in the Boccalino, right across from the un-missable romanesque pantheon of San Isidoro. Hotel is nothing out of this world, but fine. http://www.hotelboccalino.es/hotel/

Last time I was in Leon, I saw the newly opened NH Plaza Mayor, which looked very nice. I sent some friends there who loved it. The Plaza Mayor in Leon has never been the central gathering place that other plazas mayores are, so they said it wasn't in a hectic part of town but very close to everything. http://www.nh-collection.com/hotel/nh-collection-leon-plaza-mayor.

I had a few days to spend in Leon as I recovered from a foot injury, and really enjoyed a trip to the pretty un-touristy museum of Leon. It has lots of archaeological finds. http://www.museodeleon.com/cgi-bin/zdoc30/portada.pl

Buen camino, Laurie
Stayed at Posada Regia in the annex last October. Great rooms, great location and wonderful bath. Think we paid 57 euros. FYI... the parador is not very central and is on the way out of the city.

The Col
At the end of April we plan to re-start our Camino , from where we left off last year, namely Bercianos del Real Camino. A few days later we expect to reach Leon where we want to spend 2-3 days exploring. As we'll be staying more than one night we can't stay in a municipal or religious albergue, so we're looking for a small hotel or similar.

Obviously we could just look on the internet, but we would feel happier with a place that others have stayed at and would recommend. Ideally we are looking for somewhere fairly central and near the Camino route, and are prepared to pay reasonable hotel rates, not necessarily rock-bottom prices. We did consider the Parador, and would have stayed there if it had only been for one night.

Any suggestions?
the 'Colegiata' behind San Isidoro and 5 minutes from the Cathedral is the only plce for me :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Any suggestions?

My injured fellow walker and myself spent 3 days in Leon at a fabulous small hotel behind the Cathedral -
Hotel Q!H Centro León is set in the historic heart of León, opposite the cathedral and Roman walls. This small hotel with an indoor pool, spa and free Wi-Fi is set in the city’s old town, a short walk from San Marcos and the Royal Pantheon. There are many typical tapas bars and restaurants nearby... all room have a small balcony, with views of the Cathedral - we loved it, and the spa was a treat after walking for days and days..

I had a night in the Hostel Albany, next to the cathedral and for €30 very good value. Then I had a stay in the Paarador. A long way out from the centre, nice, but didn't seem good value at €115 a night. The Colegiata looked excellent but was fully booked when I was there

Many thanks to everyone who have provided us with a very interesting selection of places.

There seems to be a good range of styles and prices and they all look very interesting. We're fortunate in having spent a little time previously on Leon and can recollect where a few of the suggested places are. It looks now as though we will be busy doing some online research and checking on availability over the next two weeks prior to flying out to Spain.

Thanks again for all the useful suggestions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great city. One of my favorites.
No matter where you stay, wonder down toward the Parador as the sun goes down. Then walk along the river (both sides) and mingle with the locals and the visitors. Also, plan a couple of hours for a trip to the cathedral. Buen Viaje.

Thanks to all the advice we have received we have now booked two nights at the Hostal Guzman.

What we found whilst searching was that most of the accommodation that was suggested was already full. This rather surprised us. We realise that the days we needed, (Arrive Friday 1st May and leave Sunday 3rd May) are over a weekend, but were amazed when we found that almost everywhere was already taken. We looked directly as some Hotel/Hostals websites and also used Booking.com and other hotel search providers only to find that all had very little availability of reasonably priced rooms.

Is there some fiesta, or something similar, taking place that weekend in Leon?

Anyway we are now sorted and looking forward to our little stop-over in Leon. Thanks for the help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
May 1 is celebrated as Labor day throughout most of Europe.
So do lots of people stay in hotels etc. to celebrate?

So do lots of people stay in hotels etc. to celebrate?
Many, many people travel at that time and often take another extra day or puente/bridge. In countries which fought in WW2 such as France and Germany but not Spain May 8 is another holiday commemorating the end of the war.

Last edited:
View attachment 17727 View attachment 17727

Any suggestions?

We stayed here:
http://albanyleon.com/es/default.asp

It was quiet, reasonably priced, clean, comfortable and literally steps from the cathedral. If you google map the cathedral and type hostel, it's the first one that shows up. Although it is classified as a hostel I found the accommodations to be more like a hotel. Would definitely recommend. :) The picture I've attached is the view from the entrance.

Attachments

• Spain 420.JPG
    Spain 420.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - we stayed in Leon just the week before last.... http://www.hotelqhcentroleon.com/ - great location just behind the cathedral yet on the quieter side of things....we had a room on the top floor which was a bit 'attic' like so I would recommend asking for a lower floor (2nd floor would be best) - rooms at the front have a small balcony - rooms are not overly spacious but then again we didn't; have loads of luggage! Nice modern, clean, etc. - has a nice bar/café downstairs...we paid only €50 ($55 these days!) for a double...but we booked ~2 months in advance.....Buen Camino!

Re: days off at the beginning of May.
If you get 1st (Friday) off, that makes a 3 day weekend. Add 8th off for another 3 day weekend. Plus the work week in between is only 4 days. Take those as vacation and for 4 days of vacation you get 10 free days.
Then look at the calendar and viola there is 14th Ascension Day (Thursday) with an official bridge to the weekend on Friday. 4 day weekend with 3 day work week. Fill in vacation again and for a total of 7 days vacation you get 17 days off. Not bad at all.
May is a wonderful month like this. And there is also the Whit Monday on 25th, repeat the pattern that week too.
Actually can start on the end of April already, the last week of April is a short work week because of the 1st May.
So by spending 21 day of vacation its possible to get more than a month free - from 25th April (Saturday) till the beginning of JUNE! Total 37 days off. :cool: Guess there will be many people on the Camino (as well as Costas etc.)
P.S. possibly not every country has exactly the same days off but you get the idea.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back