• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best place to buy hiking poles - Lisboa or Porto?

David Tallan

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
I'm starting my Camino Portugues from Porto, probably October 1st. My camino starts in Porto but I will be flying in to Lisboa and probably taking the train up to Porto. My current thinking is that I'd grab a taxi from the airport to the train station (I arrive at 11:50 am) and take the next train to Porto where I'd do a bit of sightseeing in the rest of the afternoon/evening and set out on my camino the next morning. I'd probably be staying in a hostel or albergue not far from the Cathedral to facilitate that early start.

One complication is that I won't be bringing hiking poles with me in my "carry on only" backpack but will definitely need them to walk with. So that means buying them in Lisboa or Porto before I start walking. I'm looking for any suggestions on where to buy them that hopefully won't take me too far out of my way.

Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm starting my Camino Portugues from Porto, probably October 1st. My camino starts in Porto but I will be flying in to Lisboa and probably taking the train up to Porto. My current thinking is that I'd grab a taxi from the airport to the train station (I arrive at 11:50 am) and take the next train to Porto where I'd do a bit of sightseeing in the rest of the afternoon/evening and set out on my camino the next morning. I'd probably be staying in a hostel or albergue not far from the Cathedral to facilitate that early start.

One complication is that I won't be bringing hiking poles with me in my "carry on only" backpack but will definitely need them to walk with. So that means buying them in Lisboa or Porto before I start walking. I'm looking for any suggestions on where to buy them that hopefully won't take me too far out of my way.

Thanks!
I would buy them in Porto.

If you are not picky you can find cheap poles in Decathlon Porto - Santa Catarina (city center).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would buy them in Porto.

If you are not picky you can find cheap poles in Decathlon Porto - Santa Catarina (city center).
Thanks! Just the information I needed. I'm sure I can find something at least as good as the poles I found in the Planeta Agua in Viana on my last camino.

They sell poles now at a lot of pharmacys. Just saying.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not trying to hijack thread so please remove if offensive.
One complication is that I won't be bringing hiking poles with me in my "carry on only" backpack but will definitely need them to walk with

I expect to run into "pole" problems next Spring as well since I too only do carry on luggage. I wondered if Amazon UK would ship to Portugal and if so I wonder if anyone knows of a place that can / will accept packages for visitors?

I suppose checking the poles packed in a larger box instead of alone would work. I bought great poles for Iceland this year and loved them, would like to use those as I have become quite familiar with them. Carbon, collapsable and light. I would like to have a Leatherman's tool with me as well and that can not be carried on a plane either. I do not plan to check any bags but I suppose checking a box of things needed would work. $25 USD for a checked bag typically (or free many times on intn'l ). This is based on those coming from US and I have no idea if OP is or is not.

You can check the poles alone but I would worry they are easily misplaced by airlines.

David

I checked the poles alone (my sons and mine) when they wouldn't let us take them I carry on flying out of Madrid after our 2016 Camino. They had served us so well I didn't have the heart to throw them out. I probably paid more to check them than they cost in the first place. For this trip, I got a cheap (carry on only) flight and the surcharge for checked luggage seems exorbitant. That's why I'll be looking to pick some up there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I checked the poles alone (my sons and mine) when they wouldn't let us take them I carry on flying out of Madrid after our 2016 Camino. They had served us so well I didn't have the heart to throw them out. I probably paid more to check them than they cost in the first place. For this trip, I got a cheap (carry on only) flight and the surcharge for checked luggage seems exorbitant. That's why I'll be looking to pick some up there.
It seems I have seen services (mind you from abroad as I am in USA) that will ship and hold luggage for you. Perhaps you can avail yourself of that or if you are already in Spain (and can wait) the post office will likely be an option to ship.

In the distant pass (before 9/11) I would fly with fishing gear and they would "gate check" (I think they call it valet now) my poles for free. Of course I have no idea of individual carriers and fees. GL

D

I bought some poles in Lisbon - Decathlon, a sports shop which sells all manner of hiking gear. First time I have used poles and so far so good at about 70 km. The shop has a range of poles varying in prices. I bought the anti-shock type, trying to look after my poor old bones...Seem OK to me so far.

In May of this year, I flew from Phoenix-Oakland, Oakland-Paris CDG, then Orly-Pau; in July Lisbon-Rome, and August Rome-Oakland and finally Oakland-Phoenix...all flights with my poles in my backpack (carry on overhead bin)....they were not packed inside but in the side pockets, visible to all....not once did I have a problem.....I have read numerous posts here where people have issues...not sure what the deal is!?!?!?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
TSA will confiscate metal poles, somehow our fine TSA agents let yours slip by. There is a trophy case of things confiscated by TSA near the security at our local airport and knitting needles (metal) and hiking poles are for sure in there. Along with of course leather-man tools, pocket knives and then ridiculous things like hatchets.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.