• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best place to start in italy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If Aosta in in consideration, then why not start 100m outside Italy at the GSB pass hostel. Taken as half-way on the VF.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If it is mid to late May you are more than likely able to walk up to GSB Pass. The roads could well be open except for the few hundred metres across the pass. I was there at the end of May and that is what I found, though I suspect it depends on the year. You are more than likely able to get to Saint Rhemy - a very pretty village. Aosta is a great place to start otherwise.

Which direction? SdC - Aosta is a beautiful area walked and climbed there often when I was younger...much younger. Thinking practically I would consider starting from Torino (not my favorite city) headed SW to catch the Via Tolosana in Arles. Rome? The Assisi Way begins in Vezelay flows through or closeby Aosta and would allow you to miss some those high passes - lodging on both the Via Francigena and the Assisi Way can be austere. I have walked from La Verne through Assisi to Rome fantastic views art and architecture but can be a challenge logistically food lodging etc.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Seems like a good enough place, though I'd mildly suggest starting the walk upon disembarkation at the airport or arrival from a train, even though on first go that might just be to wherever you'll sleep there.

And then (less mildly) walking from there all the Way to Rome, not just some section.

There's something from completing a pilgrimage through walking every step of the Way that is easily lost from unnecessary compromise (health problems excepted always).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back