• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best place to start on CdF to introduce a newby??

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Any thoughts please about the best part of CdF to walk for 5 days please? I'm brining a friend (in his 50's) over and want him to have the best time, and be inspired.

We are arriving in Biarritz on Friday 16th November. so has to be starting probably either SJPdP, Pamplona or Logroño.

My original plan at this stage is to go to SJPdP and walk the Valcarlos route, and try to make it at least to Pamplona. But I'm really open to other ideas.

My main thoughts that I'd like your advice with please:

- What is the Valcarlos option like? What is the albergue at Valcarlos like?

- I thought of starting in St Jean to get a real sense of the journey which so many people make. However, is it likely to be better starting from Pamplona - more guaranteed warmth and sun?

- Which would be more scenic and enjoyable: starting in SJPdP, Pamplona, or somewhere else?

- I've not walked in November, what is weather likely to be like?

- Does anyone know the bus / train times from Bayonne to SJPdP?

Many thanks, P

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
IMHO as far as the CF goes it's all good!
I really like the St Jean to Pamplona section. Mountains, forests, streams.
From Pamplona is nice, Alto del Perdon, more open spaces, Eunate.........
From Logrono is also nice.
Maybe the start from St Jean?
It has that sense of 'beginning' with so many starting out together and eager to chat and meet new people.

Haven't tried the Valcarlos route yet though.
I like the Napolean. Haven't tired of that yet.

Any thoughts please about the best part of CdF to walk for 5 days please? I'm brining a friend (in his 50's) over and want him to have the best time, and be inspired.

We are arriving in Biarritz on Friday 16th November. so has to be starting probably either SJPdP, Pamplona or Logroño.

My original plan at this stage is to go to SJPdP and walk the Valcarlos route, and try to make it at least to Pamplona. But I'm really open to other ideas.

My main thoughts that I'd like your advice with please:

- What is the Valcarlos option like? What is the albergue at Valcarlos like?

- I thought of starting in St Jean to get a real sense of the journey which so many people make. However, is it likely to be better starting from Pamplona - more guaranteed warmth and sun?

- Which would be more scenic and enjoyable: starting in SJPdP, Pamplona, or somewhere else?

- I've not walked in November, what is weather likely to be like?

- Does anyone know the bus / train times from Bayonne to SJPdP?

Many thanks, P

at the end? LOL then take them to the beginning and get them to look forward to what's waiting for them at the end

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Both times I walked the Camino Frances I started in Roncesvalles. The first time it was because I was living in Spain and (at least then) as far as the Spanish are concerned, it starts in Roncesvalles. That's why the half way market (just before Sahagun) marks half way between Roncesvalles and Santiago de Compostela. The second time I started in the same place because I was walking with my son and wanted to introduce him to the route I had walked so many years before.

The first day, SJPD to Valcarlos, is through rolling foothills, a pleasant undemanding walk for those of reasonable fitness.

The second day, for me, was lovely through forests mostly, but I found it hard work as I was in my 60's and live and walk in relatively flat country. It is pretty much all uphill.

The third day is also lovely as you drop down to Zubiri but, possibly, because of the previous day I found it fairly hard work although nothing compared to the second day.

After a day off in Pamplona the rest of the camino became easier as my endurance increased. So SJPD to Pamplona eminently doable and attractive if reasonably fit, may be a bit tiring and so less pleasurable if you are not used to hills.

The kicker on this route, rarely mentioned, is that the route climbs almost continuously and steepens ALL day, the steepest part being at the end when you are tired.

The albergue at Valcarlos is fine, good beds, excellent showers etc. and an equipped kitchen/lounge area. There is also a general store and restaurant 200m away.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The first day, SJPD to Valcarlos, is through rolling foothills, a pleasant undemanding walk for those of reasonable fitness.

The second day, for me, was lovely through forests mostly, but I found it hard work as I was in my 60's and live and walk in relatively flat country. It is pretty much all uphill.

The third day is also lovely as you drop down to Zubiri but, possibly, because of the previous day I found it fairly hard work although nothing compared to the second day.

After a day off in Pamplona the rest of the camino became easier as my endurance increased. So SJPD to Pamplona eminently doable and attractive if reasonably fit, may be a bit tiring and so less pleasurable if you are not used to hills.

The kicker on this route, rarely mentioned, is that the route climbs almost continuously and steepens ALL day, the steepest part being at the end when you are tired.

The albergue at Valcarlos is fine, good beds, excellent showers etc. and an equipped kitchen/lounge area. There is also a general store and restaurant 200m away.
This is great information for our first Camino, thank you!

I believe the Napoleon route from SJPdP is closed November 1 through March? So from St. Jean, Valcarlos is your option.

2004%25202.JPG

Here is a modern 19th c print depicting Charlemagne mounted finding Roland dead in August 778 on what would later be known as the Valcarlos route near Roncevalles. (For a further description of this scene see this Roncevalles monastery history page) Hence the village of Valcarlos was named in honor of Carlos ie. Charlemagne. For more on the history and toponymy of the village see this Wikipedia entry in Spanish.

It may come as a surprise but the Valcarlos route was THE original medieval pilgrims' path through the mountain pass to Roncevalles; the present Napoleon camino over the mountains to Roncevalles is later.

In winter/spring the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncevalles is often filled with several meters of snow and thus closed to pilgrims from November 1 to April 1 hence necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate. You can read about this hazardous situation in the earlier Forum topic. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic16961.html

Whatever the season always ask for advice at the SJPdP Pilgrim office before setting out on either route !

For more in praise of the Valcarlos route which I have walked 10 times during recent years see this earlier Forum thread.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back