• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best place to stay in Santiago De Compostela

MikeJS

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Olvidado/San Salvador/Primitivo 2019
I’ve been here a few times and form me there is no doubt the best place to stay is the Hospedería San Martín Pinario
Seminario Mayor. However, if you don’t stay there please try their restaurant. Breakfast for 6 euros is unbeatable in SdC. And their lunch or dinner menus are wonderful.

Attachments

• C809A0A4-8920-4D82-8FA3-82F1C5A69384.jpeg
    C809A0A4-8920-4D82-8FA3-82F1C5A69384.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 156
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve been here a few times and form me there is no doubt the best place to stay is the Hospedería San Martín Pinario

For heaven's sake, hush up! ... If too many more folks know about this great place there'll never be a bed available again!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Seminario Mayor. However, if you don’t stay there please try their restaurant. Breakfast for 6 euros is unbeatable in SdC. And their lunch or dinner menus are wonderful.
I hear you’re supposed to email them in order to take advantage of the rate for pilgrims, but they never replied to my message.

I hear you’re supposed to email them in order to take advantage of the rate for pilgrims, but they never replied to my message.
I’ve had that problem before. But this year they replied within 24hrs. However, even if you don’t stay there go there for breakfast.

At San Martin Pinario I stayed in simple pilgrim rooms in 2011 and December 2012, 2013, 2014 and always found it comfortable and most convenient. Added features are the fact that they are open 24/7 so that you can arrive at anytime, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual, WiFi is free, there are multiple public spaces for casual conversation and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good inexpensive 3 course lunch or dinner with wine.

What more does a tired pilgrim need?"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For heaven's sake, hush up! ... If too many more folks know about this great place there'll never be a bed available again!

I’m afraid that’s already happened! I reserved by email in June for November 1, and all the pilgrim rooms were already booked, so had to take an improved room for double the price. That didn’t deter me though. I stayed last May in a pilgrim room and really liked the place. The location couldn’t be better - I could see the cathedral from my window. Both times they answered my email promptly.

I intend to treat myself to a few nights in a nice-ish hotel when I get to Santiago. After five to six weeks of walking and staying in albuerges I anticipate that having my own room and bed and (especially) bathtub to soak in will be a nice "reward". That said - the single rooms at the Hospedería San Martín Pinario look most appealing, and I'm seeing that several dates for next September (when I'll be arriving in Santiago) are already blocked out. Maybe I should go ahead and reserve now ...

I've stayed there twice this year. In June I emailed for reservations, but didn't think that they had responded, so I checked my spam folder. There was a response there which had arrived within half a day from my inquiry, but from a different email address. I stayed there again in September. You can also phone them.
I’m afraid that’s already happened! I reserved by email in June for November 1, and all the pilgrim rooms were already booked,
That's very surprising, because I was able to book two pilgrim rooms for two days each for my friend and myself with only three days notice in late June. I told a couple of friends I met on the Camino, and they also got pilgrim rooms at short notice. Then again in September I booked a pilgrim room four days in advance for one night. Perhaps you should call them to see if any pilgrim rooms have become available.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think it’s the fact that I’m arriving on November 1, All Saints Day, which I chose deliberately. But thanks, it’s a good idea to contact them again.

I've stayed there twice this year. In June I emailed for reservations, but didn't think that they had responded, so I checked my spam folder. There was a response there which had arrived within half a day from my inquiry, but from a different email address. I stayed there again in September. You can also phone them.

That's very surprising, because I was able to book two pilgrim rooms for two days each for my friend and myself with only three days notice in late June. I told a couple of friends I met on the Camino, and they also got pilgrim rooms at short notice. Then again in September I booked a pilgrim room four days in advance for one night. Perhaps you should call them to see if any pilgrim rooms have become available.
If you phone you get a message telling you to email for reservations. Their single rooms for peregrinos are only 25 euros

Yes! San Martin Pinario is my favourite place to stay. I echo all @MikeJS and @mspath said! I've stayed there five times and they've always replied promptly to my request for a pilgrim room. Quiet, relaxing, wonderful breakfast, kind staff. If you're lucky (twice for me now) you'll get room #420 at the very end of the hall with it's beautiful bird's eye view of the gorgeous angels on the pediment of the Iglesia de San Francisco. Even if you don't stay there, the pilgrim lounge and the cloister are wonderful quiet spots for a coffee or a drink.
San Francisco Angel.jpgSan Francisco Angel 1.jpg

Last edited:

€60,-
Avoid Hostal Mapoula. We had issues there last month and ended up walking out.

Avoid Hostal Mapoula. We had issues there last month and ended up walking out.

This is discouraging - it was one of the places I bookmarked as a possible place to stay for a few days in Santiago as it's both reasonably priced and well reviewed on both Google and TA. Care to share what your issues were?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love the Hospederia San Martin Pinario, and also Barbantes Libredon. And - bit of a splurge - Hotel Rua Vilar, where I will be just after Christmas this year. Great breakfast in the restaurant, lovely rooms, and the quirkiest women’s bathroom (on the ground floor). If you know, then you know.

I love the Hospederia SMP too, but would urge caution for Summer pilgrims. It can be very hot, with no aircon, and it can get full of very noisy groups of younger pilgrims. My April stay there was fabulous, my August stay, less so. Aside from the Parador, I really like the Hostal Mexico - a little away from the centre, but not far and very clean and quiet.

Stayed there twice and loved it both times!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I intend to treat myself to a few nights in a nice-ish hotel when I get to Santiago. After five to six weeks of walking and staying in albuerges I anticipate that having my own room and bed and (especially) bathtub to soak in will be a nice "reward". That said - the single rooms at the Hospedería San Martín Pinario look most appealing, and I'm seeing that several dates for next September (when I'll be arriving in Santiago) are already blocked out. Maybe I should go ahead and reserve now ...

Hi SenorJacques, sorry to disappoint you but in simple pilgrim rooms no bath tub only a simple shower. But is still nice to be there.

Hi SenorJacques, sorry to disappoint you but in simple pilgrim rooms no bath tub only a simple shower. But is still nice to be there.

Yes, I pretty much assumed I’d have to give up a bathtub if I stay there. But the rest of it looks very comfortable. Fortunately I still have a while yet to make up my mind.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I pretty much assumed I’d have to give up a bathtub if I stay there. But the rest of it looks very comfortable. Fortunately I still have a while yet to make up my mind.
Even the regular rooms don’t have tubs but it is a wonderful place to stay. If you want a hug soaking tub the Parador is the place. After 4 walks to Santiago I splurged on 2 nights there. Wonderful.

This is discouraging - it was one of the places I bookmarked as a possible place to stay for a few days in Santiago as it's both reasonably priced and well reviewed on both Google and TA. Care to share what your issues were?
We booked it for three nights, wanting to treat ourselves for completing the Camino Frances. We looked forward to soaking in a hot bath, etc. Upon booking, they told us they are an "apartment-style hotel" with separate bedrooms (my husband snores). We arrived and checked in to find a room with one bed and barely enough space for our backpacks. The bathroom was so small that knees are against the opposite wall while sitting on the toilet. The worst part though was it smelled like a gigantic bottle of perfume had just been broken, setting off asthma for my husband and a migraine for me. We were denied a different room and eventually the owner was called in to talk to us. She repeatedly said we booked it so we HAD to stay. I can't remember ever being spoken to in such an incredibly rude manner. She didn't care at all that someone (not sure if it was her or a receptionist) blatantly lied to us about the facility.

Eventually we walked out. Thankfully we found one room left at a hotel around the corner. I'll have to look up the name but they were incredibly kind and helpful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed at the Last Stamp. Good albergue, centrally located, clean, well managed. Had the breakfast at San Martin one morning. Excellent!

We booked it for three nights, wanting to treat ourselves for completing the Camino Frances. We looked forward to soaking in a hot bath, etc. Upon booking, they told us they are an "apartment-style hotel" with separate bedrooms (my husband snores). We arrived and checked in to find a room with one bed and barely enough space for our backpacks. The bathroom was so small that knees are against the opposite wall while sitting on the toilet. The worst part though was it smelled like a gigantic bottle of perfume had just been broken, setting off asthma for my husband and a migraine for me. We were denied a different room and eventually the owner was called in to talk to us. She repeatedly said we booked it so we HAD to stay. I can't remember ever being spoken to in such an incredibly rude manner. She didn't care at all that someone (not sure if it was her or a receptionist) blatantly lied to us about the facility.

Eventually we walked out. Thankfully we found one room left at a hotel around the corner. I'll have to look up the name but they were incredibly kind and helpful.
I don't see anywhere on their website that they say that they have "apartment style" rooms. How did you book it?

I don't see anywhere on their website that they say that they have "apartment style" rooms. How did you book it?

It was on a list we had. It was done by either phone or email; it was an employee (or owner) who gave the information. I know we should have researched them instead of trusting a name from a list. We went by the information they provided yet there was no apology regarding the incorrect information or the horrendous smell that made us visibly ill. She was completely adamant that we had to stay.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

It was on a list we had. It was done by either phone or email; it was an employee (or owner) who gave the information. I know we should have researched them instead of trusting a name from a list. We went by the information they provided yet there was no apology regarding the incorrect information or the horrendous smell that made us visibly ill. She was completely adamant that we had to stay.
Sorry to hear - sounds like a most unpleasant experience. Not sure what you/they mean by "apartment style" though - according to the photos on their website and pretty much every photo on Trip Advisor it looks like a standard hotel room setup to me. In any case, thanks for the feedback.

We stayed on our first arrival at Seminario Menor single rooms but all other facilities shared. Next day on to Finistera.
This year we'd booked 2 nights at an Air bnb apartment for 3 people, excellent . However we realised we'd arrive in advance of booked dates so contacted the Seminario Menor and stayed in a dormitory for one night. (Very good, single beds and lockable bedside lockers where one can safely leave a phone to charge).
At our Air bnb apartment we made good use of the washing machine, and the luxury of having our own space, cooking facilities etc. Time to sort out Compostela certificates and onward travel arrangements.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After a month or more walking, it’s the Parador for me. I build that extra comfort into my budget so that I can splurge.
And the Parador it was for me, too. In those beautiful and historic spaces I spoiled myself for two days, drank Champagne, engaged in gastronomic excess by consuming dishes not intended as carb-loading exercises, and had my Camino clothes cleaned. However, without my wife, the spectre of guilt invaded my conscience, and I transferred to less expensive, but nice, accommodations on the colonnaded section of Rua do Vilar, where I stayed a few more days basking in the warm mind-glow of completing 45 days on the trail.

We stayed there this July for just one night. It is really an impressive place. Location is great and the staff is really lovely. Our room was bright, airy and minimalistic. And even having such a huge amount of rooms, we never felt crowded, not even during breakfast. My husband was a bit freaked out by the hospital look of it and we used to make jokes about that as we walked by the huge corridors ("visit hours seem to be over", "I bet that's the rheumatology department").
One of the impressive features is that I was looking for an address on Google and 2/3 of the way was just getting out of the Hospedaria.
I definitely would stay there again (but not my husband) but after reading the reviews of other places, curiosity got the best of me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Was happy staying in the Albergue km0 right beside the Pilgrims Office.
24h open doors (with card), a bit like a cubicle hotel in Japan. The alcoves provided were cosy and each alcove had a small locker locked by you door-card.
The staff was helpful, friendly and not stressed at all.

On the private accommodation list, I've stayed twice in Hotel San Clemente. Very simple, but lovely staff and surely a delight after all the days walking. They were also happy to keep the bags we sent ahead from our Camino Portugues.

On the private accommodation list, I've stayed twice in Hotel San Clemente. Very simple, but lovely staff and surely a delight after all the days walking. They were also happy to keep the bags we sent ahead from our Camino Portugues.
Glad you have a place you are happy with. Wish they all had a vegetarian/vegan option on their menus.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm staying 2 diff nights in Santiago, the first at the end of my walk from SJPDP I have km0 booked. Nice to see another good review of it! After I finish to Fin/Muxia then I have a night booked at A Porta Real. I like reading a bit of albergue reviews....can't afford another hotel, already have one booked on the way to and one on the way from France lol.

One night at the Parador, then the second night at Hostal Suso in my favorite room. 🙂

The Routes and Boots Alberque was excellent when I complete my Camino last month. If you want something more up market but less pricey than the Parador I can't speak highly enough of the Hotel Costa Vella. Clean, comfortable, great views, close to the centre and with lovely friendly staff. Breakfast in the garden shelterede by the old city wall is a treat!

€60,-
Roots and Boots is now my go to in Santiago. I love the family that run it too.

Can't afford a hotel, but even if I could I think I would still stay in Roots and Boots, I like it so much!

Davey

The Routes and Boots Alberque was excellent when I complete my Camino last month. If you want something more up market but less pricey than the Parador I can't speak highly enough of the Hotel Costa Vella. Clean, comfortable, great views, close to the centre and with lovely friendly staff. Breakfast in the garden shelterede by the old city wall is a treat!
w
Love the look of the Costa Vella, but it looks like you need to book well in advance.

If you want to treat yourself to a lovely hotel that actually appreciates their clients, stay at the Rua Villar. We tried the Parador after our 2nd Camino and we were disgusted by the lackluster reception at check in. It was very clear that they were more interested in the busload of tourists that walked in behind us. Even though we had booked a superior room and requested a queen bed (as it was our anniversary), our tiny room had two twins. We shortened our stay there to one night and extended our stay at the Rua Villar. Christine was happy to accommodate our extra night and she greeted us with a hearty congratulations on our Camino. The rooms are huge and tastefully done, the bathroom has a huge tub and an invigorating shower head, and as a bonus, our room had a huge gallery balcony accessible through two different sets of french doors.

When it came to Camino 3, there was no other choice for us. I booked directly and requested the room from our previous stay. Christine came through for us again and even greeted us with a genuine "welcome back".

They are located directly across the street from the old pilgrims' office, so they are just around the corner from the cathedral. And the prices are unbelievably reasonable...

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
San Martin is nice, but as a treat and a reward I stayed at The Montenegro boutique hotel behind the cathedral and WOW what an experience. It's truly worth looking at.

Sorry to hear - sounds like a most unpleasant experience. Not sure what you/they mean by "apartment style" though - according to the photos on their website and pretty much every photo on Trip Advisor it looks like a standard hotel room setup to me. In any case, thanks for the feedback.
the first night we stayed at an excellent hotel called the Compostela Hotel (https://goo.gl/maps/qwwSrRnHAZZbK8Z29). unfortunately for us they only had the 1 night and not the others. we had to switch to the Hotel Praza Quintana (https://goo.gl/maps/2jU9BaFouSvt2vep8) for the other 2 nights, but they were amazing too. I loved the 24 hour breakfast food bar! when i couldn't sleep at 3AM it was nice to grab a small bite and hot cocoa. and it wasn't even ColaCao!

I booked it this evening for New Year's Eve, I only changed my plans very recently from arriving on Xmas Eve when SMP is not open, I fully expected it to be booked out. The person on reception said there was lots of rooms left and it's usually the beginning of December when all the bookings come in.
I have stayed in a few places in Santiago and like many returnees I now have SMP as my end accommodation, good location and a good atmosphere among the many Peregrinos who stay there.

€60,-
My last night was at the Hostal As Margaritas. Peaceful atmosphere, clean rooms, inner courtyard. I will go there again when I do the Portugues in 2021.

Wonder what the Xunta’s investment of 625,000 € in San Martin Pinario means for the future of the fourth floor?

Most read last week in this forum

Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.