• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best place to switch from coastal route to central route?

janiec

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino (2018)
I plan to start the Coastal route from Porto but would like to see Tui and experience some of the Central route. It seems easy to switch from Vila do Conde and the Brierley guide offers a path for switching from Caminha. Does anyone have any other recommendations or things I should keep in mind?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There was a recent thread discussing the difficulty due to poor and lacking way markers.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or things I should keep in mind?

Yes, the weather. If it's fine, stay on the coastal route - it's stunning. If the weather gets bad, move across at any point to the central route, so you are away from the very strong wind and rain.
Jill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I plan to start the Coastal route from Porto but would like to see Tui and experience some of the Central route. It seems easy to switch from Vila do Conde and the Brierley guide offers a path for switching from Caminha. Does anyone have any other recommendations or things I should keep in mind?
The jump over to the central route is not the easiest at Viana do Castelo.
I did it before and will it do next month .
Before Viana in Castelo do Neiva or Chafé you could find your way to a close by trainstation and take the train to Durrães.From there you walk to the village of Balugães where you find the yellow waymarkers of the central route to Ponte de Lima.
Lucky you are because three kms after Balugães you'll find the best albergue of the entire caminho Português, Casa da Fernanda in the hamlet of Vitorino dos Piães.
Give Fernanda a call on beforehand. It can be busy there so reserve your bed.
+351 914 589 521

Walking from Viana to Fernanda is an option but it is about 27 kms and a lot walking along a national road.

You can continue the coastal to Caminha and there follow the river Minho -at your left to Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença do Minho which is only a throw of a stone away from Tui. After crossing a bridge in Caminha you follow a fairly new foot-and cyclepath, the Ecovia to Valença.
Desavantage is that you'll miss Casa da Fernanda.

Last edited:
T
Before Viana in Castelo do Neiva or Chafé you could find your way to a close by trainstation and take the train to Durrães.From there you walk to the village of Balugães where you find the yellow waymarkers of the central route to Ponte de Lima.
Lucky you are because three kms after Balugães you'll find the best albergue of the entire caminho Português, Casa da Fernanda in the hamlet of Vitorino dos Piães.
+351 914 589 521

Walking from Viana to Fernanda is an option but it is about 27 kms and a lot walking along a national road.

You can continue the coastal to Caminha and there follow the river Minho -at your left to Vila Nova de Cerveira and Valença do Minho which is only a throw of a stone away from Tui. After crossing a bridge in Caminha you follow a fairly new foot-and cyclepath, the Ecovia to Valença.
he albergue at Valencia is much more friendky and accommodating than one in Tui and supermarket accross street. I found Tui albergue lacking atomsphere!

+351 914 589 521

I would love to get more information about the route from Viana do Castelo to Ponte de Lima. We are cycling on mtb bikes in 3 weeks and want to cross over to Central about here, and stay off roads. Supposedly the Ecovia path along the river is doable. Do you have any gpx tracks or further info about conditions? Much obliged
Liz

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would love to get more information about the route from Viana do Castelo to Ponte de Lima. We are cycling on mtb bikes in 3 weeks and want to cross over to Central about here, and stay off roads. Supposedly the Ecovia path along the river is doable. Do you have any gpx tracks or further info about conditions? Much obliged
Liz
Check out the app Mapy.cz
It has tons of hiking and cycling paths built on without having to download extra files.
You do have to zoom in to see the trails, but I see that there is a cycling path along the river.

Screenshot_20220816-215426.png

Another option is a service from Caminha that allows you to paddle up the Mino river to Valenca/Tui. It's called Camino By Boat(you can find them by that name on Facebook). Includes a very nice picnic lunch on the bank. I used their service just a couple of weeks ago and was a wonderful day off for my feet, but my arms picked up the slack that day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Another option is a service from Caminha that allows you to paddle up the Mino river to Valenca/Tui. It's called Camino By Boat(you can find them by that name on Facebook). Includes a very nice picnic lunch on the bank. I used their service just a couple of weeks ago and was a wonderful day off for my feet, but my arms picked up the slack that day.
I just posted about it the other day.
I was wondering how difficult the rowing was.
This sounds like it could be fun - or exhausting!

You can canoe either from Caminha to Valença or Tui to Caminha.

I think that I would choose to go with the current!

I just posted about it the other day.
I was wondering how difficult the rowing was.
To be honest, it wasn't that difficult. They time your departure with the incoming tide. So by mid-day you are paddling with the current as it flows inland. So the harder you paddle will determine how fast you'll get there, but you will get there.

Hi, I recently crossed from coastal to central at Vila do Conde to Rates.

It wasn’t difficult but it wasn’t fun. No markers or very few, you need an app, I used Camino Ninja. I don’t remember water points either.

It was really hot that day and there was no shade, I passed one cafe, stopped for a much needed drink and loo stop.

The walking was a bit miserable, all roads with no or very little pavement. If I could redo it, I would have taken a taxi.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back