A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Best places to stay/things to do Sarria to Santiago?

maryrosekirwan

Camino(s) past & future
September 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm starting the Camino Frances from Sarria on Monday. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on the "must see/do" things along the way. Also what villages/albergues would you recommend staying in along the way?

I've heard that some hostels won't let you stay if you walked under 20km. Is this true?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's recommendations.

Any other pieces of advice are welcome.

GlenysP

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port "April 2011" and plan to walk Camino Frances from SJPdP "September 2015"
I rarely walked that distance. I couldn't because I have neuropathy (nerve pain) in my feet. I wasn't ever questioned or turned away.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
I've heard that some hostels won't let you stay if you walked under 20km. Is this true?
That is a new one to me! As for things to do and see:

Have a good look at the church in Portomarin as it has been transported and rebuild from its former place due to the construction of a dam.
Eat/try pulpo.
Enjoy every step.

Buen Camino, SY

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Last edited:

clearskies

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Here and there
I enjoyed checking out Vilar de Donas also, which is just off the Camino.

A

Anemone del Camino

The tiny Santa Maria church as one walks out of Melide is a little gem. Very few bother to stop which is a real shame. When I was there last year one of the caretakers was also offering a mini guided tour which explains how important this church is.

Felipe

Veteran Member
Hello everyone,
I'm starting the Camino Frances from Sarria on Monday. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on the "must see/do" things along the way.
Any other pieces of advice are welcome.
I have never heard about a distances requisite. It would be odd, anyway, because there are old pilgrims, or with some ailments or disabilities, or families with children, who do short distances. Limitations: they open at 13:00 hs., and many close doors at 22:00. Generally speaking, you can stay only a day, but I believe the rule in the popular municipal albergues has changed, and you can stay two. As for private ones, I guess you can negotiate terms.
You can download in the main ,page of this forum a good list of recommended albergues (look for "Newest Camino guides" section).
I personally liked Monasterio de la Magdalena (Sarriá, roomy, quiet); Albergue Outeiro (Palas de Rei, new, friendly) and Albergue turístico Ultreia (Arzúa, very good diner).
Buen camino!

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 222 24.7%