Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Places to Use Bus/Taxi if Necessary

Anna Machial

Time of past OR future Camino
My goal is to walk all of the Primitivo to Santiago but I am currently being plagued by old injuries to the knees and feet. I have a year to train and heal but I am concerned that they may re-occur while I'm walking the Camino since the injuries are repetitive strain injuries from walking/jogging/hiking. They do not stop me from walking but slow me down and put limits on distance I can walk without pain. Since I have a limited amount of time - 2 weeks - I am wondering what areas are of least interest. i.e. stretches, long or short, when I could take the bus/taxi and not feel I was missing too much, if I had to. I love scenery, nature, culture, so that may be tough to answer. I'm thinking, for example, of long boring suburbs, industrial areas, if any. I do not want to miss walking the mountains or country paths, or historical centers.

I would like to earn a compostela but I'm going for the journey and the Catholic mass at the end more than for the paper so if absolutely necessary I would be willing to miss part of the last 100 km to Santiago.

Any suggestions?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Take a taxi when you are hurting or tired. It does not matter much what you are by-passing.

The Primitivo is fairly tough, if you are going with existing injuries and have a two-week deadline. I can't remember any 'boring' bits to skip. The final 100km from Sarria are frustratingly overcrowded, but the increasing hordes of pilgrims and the last-minute urgency and common purpose are just as unmissable part of the Camino experience as the loveliest mountain path or the most 'authentic' albergue. Sorry I can't give you the answer you want, but is there any chance you could re-think your route? The Ingles could take you to Santiago in the time you have

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walk short stages and have several alternative suggestions.
You could go to Oviedo, visit the Cathedral - sello from the Cámara Santa there (limited opening times). Then take the bus to Tineo -there might only be one per day in the early afternoon and maybe not every day. Check the ALSA site when planning.
1) Start from Tineo and walk the route via Pola de Allande and then over Puerto de Palo to Berducedo. If your knees are OK then walk over Buspol to Grandas de Salime, otherwise catch the bus (evenings; most days) or walk to the hotel at the far side of the dam (book in) or call a taxi from there (6kms to Grandas).
2) From Grandas, take a taxi (no buses) to Castro (6kms) and walk over Alto de Acebo keeping to the road past the windfarm, although the track might suit you equally well. At the bar Acebo call a taxi to Fonsagrada (approx 12kms) and stay in the town (pensiones). There is a bus service again only after Fonsagrada.
3) Walk from Fonsagrada to Paradavella via Montouto and catch the afternoon bus into Lugo then walk to Santiago via San Roman, Ferreira and join the Frances at Palas de Rei rather than Melide, depending on time and your knees.
This walks you over the best passes (IMO) of the Primitivo but avoids long stretches of road walking, urban approaches especially into Lugo and an often difficult section of track after Paradavella.

If you buy the CSJ guide 'Las Caminos del Norte F: Camino Primitivo' then it could help you decide maybe as it has distances and places to stay listed.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies. They were all worthy of consideration. I liked them all. After reading Falcon's I thought 'well that's common sense' and I came up with a plan. I am walking with my daughter who is supper fit, but who is the one limited with time. If I am hurting she can go ahead and I'll use the local bus or taxi to catch up. I plan on carrying a bus schedule. She can walk the last 100 km for a Compostela and I can returned sometime to do so if I want to.
I have checked into alternate routes and if the I am hurting too much previously, we will switch to the Ingles.
And, Tia Valeria, I will print off your suggestions to take along. I believe I have read your blog. Thank you.

There are some challenging sections on the Inglés. Taking it slower and making short stages as we did helps. The Primitivo from Lugo to Santiago via Palas de Rei might be easier walking. It all depends on how many days you allow for the final 100kms, we took 8 days instead of the usual 5 for the Inglés and it was good.
Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Anna, I got sick on the Primitivo, and much against my wishes ended up having to take a bus, while my husband , John , walked. I got a bus from O Cadavo to Lugo, and a taxi at some point before that from a number that was posted on a tree. It is very tough on the knees, and as falcon says, best to take transport when you need it. There were quite a few, even young , pilgrims availing themselves of buses and taxis when the need arose, and no difficulty in finding either. Buen camino, Helen

There were quite a few, even young , pilgrims availing themselves of buses and taxis when the need arose, and no difficulty in finding either.
This Forum contains enough stories for you to know that a lot of buses, taxis, and trains are being taken! When I have taken a bus, there always have been as many as a dozen others doing the same thing. It is quite common notwithstanding braggadocio, denials, or implications otherwise.;)

Thank you all. This forum really helps. I seem to be typical of a lot of other camino planners. Very excited but then I get hit with a 'what if .....'

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very excited but then I get hit with a 'what if .....'
That is a good thing, I think. When you analyze a problem, you reduce it to a manageable size. It starts as an overwhelming anxiety, but shrinks when you know how you will deal with it. You come to see that every problem has a solution, and you have the ability to find it and the capability to solve the problem with it. Almost nothing is a disaster, you discover. When pilgrims say that the Camino provides, I think what they really are saying is that there is always a calm, available course of action that solves the problem.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back