• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Poncho in the Universe

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all. I have been using an Altus poncho for years. I prefer a poncho to a waterproof coat as when walking one generates heat and if enclosed in a coat, sweat, so I like the circulating air under a poncho (and the dry hands). Though one does have to wear a peaked cap with those hoods!

So - my discovery - this only works if you have access to an Ikea store. In every Ikea store there is a 'family' section and in there they sell a poncho .. it is brilliant, not flimsy but a good strong material, elasticated hood with velcro neck closure, two rain-shielded velcro closure 'slits' so you can have your arms in or out .. packs away into the chest pocket (yep, has a chest pocket), is full and long, a backpack goes underneath easily, and weighs just 194 gms - 6.9 ounces!!

And, and this is the killer sales point, it is £10 or if you take out their free 'family card' - instant at the store, it is £7 - £7!!

As with all waterproofed items I buy I always re-spray before use, mainly because I don't trust a factory to do the job properly but I tried mine in the shower before doing that and it really is waterproof.

You SO have to get yourself one of these - best poncho in the Universe at £7 - I mean .. £7 ??? Crikey!! I have dumped the Altus, twice the weight anyway (well, not dumped - anyone want a large blue Altus???).

See here, Ikea link to it - Ikea Poncho

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all. I have been using an Altus poncho for years. I prefer a poncho to a waterproof coat as when walking one generates heat and if enclosed in a coat, sweat, so I like the circulating air under a poncho (and the dry hands). Though one does have to wear a peaked cap with those hoods!

So - my discovery - this only works if you have access to an Ikea store. In every Ikea store there is a 'family' section and in there they sell a poncho .. it is brilliant, not flimsy but a good strong material, elasticated hood with velcro neck closure, two rain-shielded velcro closure 'slits' so you can have your arms in or out .. packs away into the chest pocket (yep, has a chest pocket), is full and long, a backpack goes underneath easily, and weighs just 194 gms - 6.9 ounces!!

And, and this is the killer sales point, it is £10 or if you take out their free 'family card' - instant at the store, it is £7 - £7!!

As with all waterproofed items I buy I always re-spray before use, mainly because I don't trust a factory to do the job properly but I tried mine in the shower before doing that and it really is waterproof.

You SO have to get yourself one of these - best poncho in the Universe at £7 - I mean .. £7 ??? Crikey!! I have dumped the Altus, twice the weight anyway (well, not dumped - anyone want a large blue Altus???).

Buen Camino!

I've been contemplating doing the same, David, happily having access to IKEA where I am. I spotted their ponchos a while ago and have been curious. I also own a blue Altus, which I bought for my first Camino in 2010. I've now walked the Camino Francés six times, and my Altus has been one of my top most valuable and useful pieces of gear each time. Three Caminos ago, I figured out how to tie it shorter to be just a rain cover for my pack in misty or drizzly weather, and now I mostly just wear it short. :)

Still, IKEA's is a great price, and lighter. I'm about to walk for my seventh time, this time the Portugués, and I might test the IKEA one for that. Whether I take it or my faithful and true Altus again, I love my IKEA reusable fabric bag (same fabric) on the Camino! It's brilliant for toting around what I don't want to keep in my backpack once I get to the albergue at the end of the day, and for food shopping along the way. And each time I walk the Camino I see many other pilgrims from around the world carrying one too.

Rachel

P.S. Ooooo! The poncho in your link is very black! I was talking about the grey version with white spots. I've also seen navy blue before with white grid line pattern. But if only black is available now I guess I can channel my inner Batman powers in the rain! :D

(And maybe add some reflective tape for walking sections by the road.)

P.S. Ooooo! The poncho in your link is very black! I was talking about the grey version with white spots. I've also seen navy blue before with white grid line pattern. But if only black is available now I guess I can channel my inner Batman powers in the rain! :D

Yes, very black indeed! (MMwwwwaaagghhh, etc) In my nearest store they did have different ones a while ago, including black and white check and pink check, but they currently only have black - I think each store may hold different stock .... anyway, what is wrong with black? as you say, inner Batman - and what about Goth Pilgrims??? ;)

It has headlight reflective stripes, completely around the neck, both side arm slits, and at the front of the hood.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, super! Well, problem solved on the visibility front! I'm headed to IKEA today. :)

I saw on their website that red with white grid lines is also available. I'll see how much like Darth Vader I'm feeling when I get there, haha. Your post was timely. I'm glad!

On the IKEA link, there is a pull down next to the color listing, black. The poncho is also available in a red and white pattern that is likely to be more visible (and hence safer) on the Camino.

My only question is whether it works over a rucksack, as it appears to not be designed specifically for that. My sole comment is that, for safety, I would have preferred the standard IKEA Swedish national colors of yellow or bright blue...also the Camino colors. But the red/white will work as well.

But the price makes this a STEAL. This looks like a stellar find, and one that should be available worldwide. If your local store does not have a color range, try ordering online from your national website.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!
That looks great...I might add a few visibility/reflective strips here and there because of the black color. Early mornings in the dark and pouring rain need a bit of safety planning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had that same one 2 years ago and got myself and my daughter new ones for our September Camino. I loved mine too way better then a rain coat.
13428613_10209288255624309_2997183735000638357_n.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen Camino!

Used one last year on the Frances but this year in March when I walked the Norte in daily wind rain (monsoon and torrential like often) I’m glad I had a rain jacket, rain kilt and gaiters because my IKEA poncho would not have served in such wind and rain.

Buen Camino!
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the information
I wish though that you had got into that shower a week ago!!
Let me explain...
After reading your post this morning, I've been fiddling around all day wondering if I should go and get one....
Leaving for the Salvidor tomorrow..
So...
No time to go
Too much to do
Saturday traffic
Saturday crowds
Floors need washing
The washing needs washing
So on and so forth!
Will I
Won't I

Anyway, at about 3pm I thought
Blow the floors and the washing ...they'll be here when we get back!!

Was at IKEA in 15 minutes
Back home in 20
In and out in 30 ....and that's because the lady who helped me on the self service was from Santiago de compostella and we had a nice chat....
A good omen I hope!!

I got the last black one there
And the last 2 red and white ones!!

Himself took one look at the red one!! ....
I'm not wearing that..
Yes you are..
If we get lost in the fog the rescue people will see us a mile off!!!
I'll look like a right eejit.....it's pink!!
Well what can I say!!
The 2 red ones are going in the rucksack and the black one can be used for local walks

So yes..they are in...
And a lot lighter than the old army and navy ones that we have ......and sweat in!!

So let's hope that we don't get too much rain , but we do have light waterproof jackets as well.

Tell you one thing though....

I'm not getting into the shower with it!!!!
With best wishes
Annette

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been contemplating doing the same, David, happily having access to IKEA where I am. I spotted their ponchos a while ago and have been curious. I also own a blue Altus, which I bought for my first Camino in 2010. I've now walked the Camino Francés six times, and my Altus has been one of my top most valuable and useful pieces of gear each time. Three Caminos ago, I figured out how to tie it shorter to be just a rain cover for my pack in misty or drizzly weather, and now I mostly just wear it short. :)

Still, IKEA's is a great price, and lighter. I'm about to walk for my seventh time, this time the Portugués, and I might test the IKEA one for that. Whether I take it or my faithful and true Altus again, I love my IKEA reusable fabric bag (same fabric) on the Camino! It's brilliant for toting around what I don't want to keep in my backpack once I get to the albergue at the end of the day, and for food shopping along the way. And each time I walk the Camino I see many other pilgrims from around the world carrying one too.

Rachel
Rachel,

How do you "kilt up" your Altus? When I used it on the Ingles I got as wet inside as I was on the outside and just unzipping left me with a chilled chest and abdomen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino!

Thanks for your offer of a large blue Altus - I'll stick with my nifty thrifty Ikea poncho. Cheap at twice the price, and it works great!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Question: if you’re a pole-user would you have to have your arms out or are they sufficiently roomy to put the poles inside the poncho?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Was there an answer posted on how to use with a pack? Will it cover the pack or must it be worn under with the pack on top?

Sorry if there was an answer above and I missed it.

Here is the link for the U.S. Ikea Price in $6.99 Family member or $8.99 other....
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60283421/?query=KNALLA+Rain+poncho
How well it works for you would depend on your size and your pack size. I just tried mine on over my 32 liter pack, and it was fine. Because of the design you wouldn't be able to wear your pack over it. It's more of a cape than a poncho, because it's not open on the sides. That's why there are the arm openings.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Beware! I went online to buy this; I live 100+ kms from the nearest Ikea store. And while the poncho was only AUD9.99, Ikea wanted a service fee of AUD220.00 to deliver it!!!
Look on ebay and Amazon. I just saw a bunch listed. Another useful Ikea item is the Frakta zipper bag. It's large enough to hold a backpack and would be useful if you had to check your pack when flying. https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/90149148/ I've seen them on eBay too.

I made an expedition to the Ikea store in Calgary this afternoon and bought a red striped Ikea poncho. I weighed both the poncho and my alternate gear of pack cover and rain jacket and discovered that I can save 250 g., if the poncho works for me. I'll try it out on my next expedition into the mountains. I suspect that the jacket provides warmth not available in the poncho, as well as a variety of useful pockets, compared to the one larger one in the front of the poncho. But then, the poncho provides a pillow. Much to consider, but the poncho looks like a good option. Price $9.99 CAN plus tax.

When I used the Ikea poncho it never rained very hard. Just drizzle to light rain all day. For this the poncho was great. I can't tell you if it would hold up in severe rain. I just prefer a poncho over rain jacket there a jacket gets very warm .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh, super! Well, problem solved on the visibility front! I'm headed to IKEA today. :)

I saw on their website that red with white grid lines is also available. I'll see how much like Darth Vader I'm feeling when I get there, haha. Your post was timely. I'm glad!

The Canadian in me chose the red and white. :) But I love the Darth Vader costume idea for the black one! And I'm happy both versions have reflective tape.

Rachel,

How do you "kilt up" your Altus? When I used it on the Ingles I got as wet inside as I was on the outside and just unzipping left me with a chilled chest and abdomen.

Hi, Jeff! I found a couple of photos. One of them I took myself so it's a bit tricky to see what's going on, but I love how I figured out tying the arms around the front of me to make just a pack cover! It's often misty on the way to Fisterra, so just that amount of cover is perfect for me.

The other photo shows it in short jacket mode. ;) I fold under the bottom part of the poncho and tie the ends around my waist. I can't zip it that way, but the Velcro fasteners keep me plenty dry even during strong rain -- which protects my purse, which is my main concern.

DSC06638 - Copy resized.jpgPhoto 17-08-16 11 01 42 - Copy resized.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Question: if you’re a pole-user would you have to have your arms out or are they sufficiently roomy to put the poles inside the poncho?
arms out and enough room to cover pack. See my picture in earlier post. Now I went in May when it wasn't cold and I welcomed the fresh air that you get when using a poncho instead of jacket. It will be a different story if you travel in the winter of course.
ps I am 5'9 and 165 lbs and my poncho fitted fine,

Hi, Jeff! I found a couple of photos. One of them I took myself so it's a bit tricky to see what's going on, but I love how I figured out tying the arms around the front of me to make just a pack cover! It's often misty on the way to Fisterra, so just that amount of cover is perfect for me.

The other photo shows it in short jacket mode. ;) I fold under the bottom part of the poncho and tie the ends around my waist. I can't zip it that way, but the Velcro fasteners keep me plenty dry even during strong rain -- which protects my purse, which is my main concern.

View attachment 43481View attachment 43482

Clever idea - thank you Rachel. I'm walking tomorrow, no rain predicted but I'll be in the woods where nobody can see me (green Altus).

Stay dry!

Well, I've just tried mine on and I think that for the Camino it would drive me crazy. However, I'm still very happy I bought it and I'll wear it for everyday situations at home.

I quickly realised how much I value having my arms free. I love that my Altus has sleeves! In the IKEA poncho it felt like when I took a mummy-shaped sleeping bag to save space on my second Camino. That was a disaster as I need lots of space to move my legs around at night. I went back to my rectangular bag after and have used it since. I also take a lot of photos as I walk, sometimes even in the rain, and it wouldn't be easy to get my arms out with the IKEA poncho at all.

So, I think it will be Altus again for me for the Camino! It's nice to have an alternative for wearing at home though! :)

Rachel

Ahh .. I disagree as my experience is different. I really like the cape design, loose and totally dry underneath but with fresh air under there. To me my arms are free under the cape, to you they are free outside in sleeves.

I also like that, in a cape poncho, I can sit on a log or stone (on my seatpad!) and the poncho draped out around me like a bell tent and be utterly dry and utterly comfortable, can't do that in a coat for sure.

I don't like elasticated hoods as they sort of 'crimp' the face and the face gets wet so always wear a cap with a peak and that sorts it all. I didn't use the sleeves with my Altus as my arms just sweated like crazy and my hands were always wet so used that in 'cape' fashion too with the sleeves dangling empty. Ah - so maybe I have always been a cape pilgrim!
I suppose it depends on what we like, or perhaps what we are used to.

I agree with you re mummy sleeping bags - ghastly things! Zip around rectangular for me every time - and I sleep with the bottom open to let my feet out .. I like air, coolness, don't like to be constrained.

Last edited:
Yes, isn't that funny, David, how we have opposite preferences about poncho sleeves, and such different definitions of what freedom means for our arms! :D I still have time before my next Camino to wear the IKEA one around. Maybe it will endear itself to me.

Either way, three cheers for rectangular sleeping bags!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi @Jeff Crawley as you and @David now provide the forum link to pilgrim-friendly products from Ikea, can either of you test out their travel towel, preferably after having a shower wearing the KNALLA poncho. Thank you.
Sadly (or not) the nearest IKEA is some 50 miles/80km plus a toll crossing of the River Thanes so I restrict my visits for when I need a meatball fix.
They look like the ones I used to have - a bit like the imitation chamois cloths you use on a car. In fact I ripped mine up and actually use them on the car! I found they work best if you pat yourself dry with them but, no matter how much you washed them they acquired a certain odour.
What I go for now are these Mountain Warehouse Giant Towel - they come in 3 sizes 120 x 60, 130 x 70, 150 x 85 and have a more "towelly" texture to them - great for that back scrub and, at 150cms, wrap around my ample waist with little chance of a mishap! You may find something similar where you are.

View attachment 43481View attachment 43482

That worked out very well. I zipped mine up as far as the waist (I understand some have two zipper pulls - mine has just the one), and rolled it inwards to form a sausage around my middle which I tucked under the rucksack waistband (the back of the coat supports itself). If it had rained (weather forecast my eye!) I could have zipped up to the throat. As it was we had fine weather so I slipped my arms out of the sleeves to cool down but left it on like a pack cover like Rachel said.
RECOMMENDED (if you have an Altus that is).

Sadly (or not) the nearest IKEA is some 50 miles/80km plus a toll crossing of the River Thanes so I restrict my visits for when I need a meatball fix.
They look like the ones I used to have - a bit like the imitation chamois cloths you use on a car. In fact I ripped mine up and actually use them on the car! I found they work best if you pat yourself dry with them but, no matter how much you washed them they acquired a certain odour.
What I go for now are these Mountain Warehouse Giant Towel - they come in 3 sizes 120 x 60, 130 x 70, 150 x 85 and have a more "towelly" texture to them - great for that back scrub and, at 150cms, wrap around my ample waist with little chance of a mishap! You may find something similar where you are.
Thank you for this @Jeff Crawley. I will check out the Mountain Warehouse towels. The one I bought from Cotswold Outdoors had similar drawbacks & didn’t dry a body very well.

Maybe it is just me but I have had problems with travel towels, I just don't like them. They don't seem to dry me, they stick to my skin, they feel quite horrid, so a couple of years back I reverted to a real towel, a small one, though weighs 525 gms - but real! and I like that.

Maybe it is just me but I have had problems with travel towels, I just don't like them. They don't seem to dry me, they stick to my skin, they feel quite horrid, so a couple of years back I reverted to a real towel, a small one, though weighs 525 gms - but real! and I like that.
Exactly - like a soggy bit of wash leather. My Giant one (the 150 x 85) weighs 400gm has texture - it's not exactly Turkish Cotton but comes close IMHO.

Buen Camino!
Hi Kevin,
Just wondered if you'd lost a poncho on the San salvador(see photo)!!

As you know,I went and bought two pink ones the day before we left for our Camino.
Thankfully we only had to use them twice......in light showers only.......and they were fine....great to cover the rucksacks too

Am not sure however if they would have been any use in really heavy rain and wind but am glad to say we didn't need to find this out!!

In no way could I get them back into its pocket but solved the problem by squashing each one into a small IKEA freezer bag....which then took up very little space in the rucksack
Must say however that ...for the price...they are great
Best wishes
Annette image.jpeg

Buen Camino!

I just purchased two from amazon in USA. They cost abt $16 a piece with prime delivery. They were only 7 dollars in IKEA but it is way too far from me to pick up in store. Thank you. I usually wear a rain jacket but there was so much rain last March and April...that they eventually got soaked. Willing to try something new! Grateful for the tip!

Last edited:

Buen Camino!
Yes David, that is probably the best poncho for the Camino and the price is down right impossible to beat!

That is good news. I tried various raincoats and ponchos (including 22 euros) and they all ripped. I didn't want to spend $100 on an Altus.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I've just tried mine on and I think that for the Camino it would drive me crazy. However, I'm still very happy I bought it and I'll wear it for everyday situations at home.

I quickly realised how much I value having my arms free. I love that my Altus has sleeves!

So, I think it will be Altus again for me for the Camino! It's nice to have an alternative for wearing at home though! :)

Rachel

I just got back from the Camino Portugués the day before yesterday and I am still very much in love with my Altus. :)

I wore it in full-body mode one day (full length), and tied up in folded-under mode (like my photos earlier) on a couple of other days. What I love about the IKEA poncho is that I can wear it here at home and save my Altus for the Camino.

Best of both worlds, yep!

Rachel

€83,-
est pocket), is full and long, a backpack goes underneath easily, and weighs just 194 gms - 6.9 ounces!!

Buen Camino!

Hi David, what is the spray you use please? Would one of these be long enough for a tall person? I'm 6"2. Great idea, thanks.

€83,-
Cheers David. Just not sure what the "spray" means, is it some sort of waterproofing spray? I'm going to get one of those ponchos.

Ha, no I use the English word too. Just that I've only heard of spray-on waterproofer for boots. I didn't know you could use to waterproof other things - but makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good info, thank you @David. Always looking for ways to trim weight.
Setting off tonight on the Via Francigena (so too late for this Camino) & managed to reduce my Camino Frances back pack down to just over 5kg + I’ve lost 5kg of personal weight.
So this should lighten my walk :)
Suzanne

Buen Camino!
Does it get rucksack underneath?

Does it get rucksack underneath?

Yes it will hang down to about mid thigh in the back over the pack. I used it for 2 Caminos but if heavy rain and wind I now prefer waterproof jacket + ULA rain kilt +/- gaiters. If you do go with the ikea poncho your arms will get wet from the elbow to wrist unless you wear some rainproof arm coverage (ie a jacket) and I glued two big strips of Velcro at the bottom of the poncho on both sides to keep it from blowing up.

Attachments

• 0BF15BE3-781B-43DB-970E-E6E196B8B4EF.jpeg
    0BF15BE3-781B-43DB-970E-E6E196B8B4EF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • D9019F81-CC56-45B5-A2B2-F11107E7981B.jpeg
    D9019F81-CC56-45B5-A2B2-F11107E7981B.jpeg
    711.8 KB · Views: 49

I posted my recent photo here (post #13 here) with my ikea poncho while in my Camino Inglés.

The Altus is heavier and longer and more expensive! The IKEA is a bit shorter, does not cover the arms as extensively, but does keep your upper body and pack dry! We used it on our last camino only four times as the weather, thankfully was mostly dry. However the times we did use it, it rained consistently. It allowed us to put our hands underneath and we secured the poncho loosely with a lite piece of chord. It worked better than my rain jacket! Ours came in a red and white stripes. One woman said she thought we were moving table clothes from a distance. I was delighted because she was able to see images from a distance in bad weather - which means the road vehicles were able to see us as well! I have already packed it for our next trip!

Last edited:
It’s a great Darth Vader look!!
LOL.... the black one is the rain kilt.....I swear it’s the best especially for those days when it’s rain sun rain sun wind wind wind. I’m wondering how this photo would do on a dating website LOL. A vanity doesn’t belong on any Camino especially the rain drenched El Norte.

I used a rain jacket with rain pants last fall on the VdlP. The rain jacket was heavier than my new Ikea rain poncho, and I also needed a pack cover. For my next camino, in the fall of 2019, I plan on taking the rain pants, which are lightweight, waterproof, and breathable, with the Ikea poncho. I hope to be able to stay dry and keep my pack dry with less weight and without the humidity and sweat that I experienced under the rain jacket. The pants also help to keep my legs warm in the cooler weather that I sometimes experience when walking in the fall. I am not sure about how I shall manage without a jacket on cool dry days, and I may decide to take a light wind breaker. But generally I walk very hot and need to release heat and moisture from my torso. Maybe I shall just walk faster to keep warm in cool dry weather.

I used a rain jacket with rain pants last fall on the VdlP. The rain jacket was heavier than my new Ikea rain poncho, and I also needed a pack cover. For my next camino, in the fall of 2019, I plan on taking the rain pants, which are lightweight, waterproof, and breathable, with the Ikea poncho. I hope to be able to stay dry and keep my pack dry with less weight and without the humidity and sweat that I experienced under the rain jacket. The pants also help to keep my legs warm in the cooler weather that I sometimes experience when walking in the fall. I am not sure about how I shall manage without a jacket on cool dry days, and I may decide to take a light wind breaker. But generally I walk very hot and need to release heat and moisture from my torso. Maybe I shall just walk faster to keep warm in cool dry weather.

On El Norte March 2018 I traded the IKEA poncho for a lightweight rainproof jacket with large underarm zips, bottom & top zippers and long meshed side pocket zips (alĺ provided sufficient circulation with minimal sweating). I wore it with only a 100 gm long sleeve merino wool top +/- a short sleeve merino top. When I went again with the IKEA poncho this November on El Ingles I had to take a jacket also as my arms got soaked sticking out plus I find the hood on the poncho too big and not comfortable. My biggest issue with the poncho is that getting it on and off while walking alone on days with alternating rain / no rain all day long is problematic. Me I’m sold on 1 jacket + rain kilt (total weigh less than the poncho). Just my personal preference.

Used one last year on the Frances but this year in March when I walked the Norte in daily wind rain (monsoon and torrential like often) I’m glad I had a rain jacket, rain kilt and gaiters because my IKEA poncho would not have served in such wind and rain.
On El Norte March 2018 I traded the IKEA poncho for a lightweight rainproof jacket with large underarm zips, bottom & top zippers and long meshed side pocket zips (alĺ provided sufficient circulation with minimal sweating). I wore it with only a 100 gm long sleeve merino wool top +/- a short sleeve merino top. When I went again with the IKEA poncho this November on El Ingles I had to take a jacket also as my arms got soaked sticking out plus I find the hood on the poncho too big and not comfortable. My biggest issue with the poncho is that getting it on and off while walking alone on days with alternating rain / no rain all day long is problematic. Me I’m sold on 1 jacket + rain kilt (total weigh less than the poncho). Just my personal preference.

Hi Colette,
Thanks for this information.
I’ve been trying to decide whether to try a poncho this year ( Camino del Norte in March ) or stay with my rain jacket and now think the rain jacket might still be best. I will also look at rain kilt which I haven’t used before.

€83,-
@Babyboomergirl, a fellow pilgrim lent me her kilt last year and it was so good that I bought one myself. It folds up into its own pocket that’s right on the kilt and I clip it on to my chest strap when not using so I’m able to access it quickly. It looks dorky but for me it’s the easiest, most lightweight, small and practical piece of gear. Here’s a pic

Attachments

• 4723281B-D5B3-4240-887E-5434DCFA1A8E.jpeg
    4723281B-D5B3-4240-887E-5434DCFA1A8E.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 5A74EC92-BA5E-4A03-8F6F-8437A69840D6.jpeg
    5A74EC92-BA5E-4A03-8F6F-8437A69840D6.jpeg
    711.8 KB · Views: 43
@Babyboomergirl, a fellow pilgrim lent me her kilt last year and it was so good that I bought one myself. It folds up into its own pocket that’s right on the kilt and I clip it on to my chest strap when not using so I’m able to access it quickly. It looks dorky but for me it’s the easiest, most lightweight, small and practical piece of gear. Here’s a pic
Thanks for sending the photo and your advice. Seems like a good option as I’m anticipating much more rain than previous Caminos. What brand did you buy ?

LOL.... the black one is the rain kilt.....I swear it’s the best especially for those days when it’s rain sun rain sun wind wind wind. I’m wondering how this photo would do on a dating website LOL. A vanity doesn’t belong on any Camino especially the rain drenched El Norte.
Well you'd attract the right people anyway Colette!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.