• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best 'Port of Entry' Paris or Madrid

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
I'll be heading for my first Camino (CF) in late April 2015. I've read a lot about the various routes to get to SJPDP but was just curious for those who have travelled from afar....

I'll be flying in from Sydney.

So given the choice, would you consider Paris or Madrid as being the best 'Port of Entry'? i.e. how easy it is to get to SJPDP from either.

My thought at the moment is probably Madrid, with fly/train/bus options to Pamplona and then taxi to SJPDP.

But I'm just curious to hear from those who have done both options, whether fly/train to Biarritz/Bayonne and train to SJPDP is actually an easier option.

I guess I could always go in via one and out via the other.... Not too bothered about the relative costs, more the 'lower hassle' option....

P.S. I say 'I' because this will now be a solo journey. For those who I've had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know on this forum, Pat will not be up to it Health wise sadly. Nothing too serious, but she won't be Camino fit.

P.P.S. Of course the good news is...I can now travel a lot lighter and faster...;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Robo! I don't know the answer to your question, but Barcelona might also be in the mix if you're connecting in Dubai or somewhere. Buen Camino!

Not exactly a major International Airport, but I'll check it out. I'd rather limit the number of flight sectors if possible to 2. Just want to get there and get started with the minimum of hassle. :)

P.S. Just checked. Barcelona would involve a 3rd sector and going SYD-BKK-LHR-BCN

But still worth looking at.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, it depends on your airline. It is actually a major airport, I think including Dubai, Doha and Singapore. However if you had to add an extra leg to your journey you could do better than Barcelona.

Yes, it depends on your airline. It is actually a major airport, I think including Dubai, Doha and Singapore. However if you had to add an extra leg to your journey you could do better than Barcelona.
Worth considering then, thanks.

From Madrid you can step off the plane onto a bus to Pamplona. In the Pamplona bus station, you can walk to the next gate and get a bus to SJPdP (depending on ALSA operating the bus route on your arrival date; they are a bit inconsistent each year on the start date of service). A connection through Paris is less straight forward, not a lot more time consuming.

The real payback is leaving Spain. From Santiago there is bus and train service (the bus can be quite an ordeal) to Madrid. Getting to Paris pretty much requires an airplane, and matching the flight schedule to your return to Sydney may be difficult.

Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Robo, I'm sorry to hear about Pat, and hope that she is able to enjoy your camino remotely. Makes the question about electronics much most important. My husband has walked a couple of short caminos with me (Ingles and from Tui) but he just doesn't "get" my love of the Camino, so he's usually watching from afar.

I agree with falcon on the advantages of Madrid over Paris, but I know lots of people fly into Paris. If by any chance you're flying Iberia or a One World member, I'd check out the cost of Sydney-Pamplona and Santiago-Sydney as a "multi-city" ticket. I have done that consistently for the last few years and I find that adding the Madrid-Pamplona and Santiago-Madrid flights adds a trivial amount to the round trip fare. And what it adds in convenience is tremendous. Getting on a 9 am flight in Santiago and connecting in Madrid is so much less hassle than going in the day before, getting a hotel for a night and then making your way to the airport. Just another option worth checking into. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Robo,

I too faced the same situation a few months ago when booing my flights (coming from Canada). I eventually decided to purchase a multi-city ticket, flying into Paris for the start of my camino and out of Madrid at the end of it.
In my research, getting to SJPDP from Paris or Madrid are about the same in terms of price and time. I just personally found the Paris route a little more straightforward. I booked months in advance and kept my eyes on short haul easy jet prices and sure enough I was able to book a super cheap (like $50) flight from Paris to Biarritz and will then take the bus or train or ride share into SJPDP. This plan worked for me, but I may be a different traveler than you as a priority for me was spending a day in Paris before starting my walk.

There is a vast amount of information in this forum on traveling to/from the camino, I also really liked this youtube video:

Take care!

Matt

I can only comment on the Paris to SJPdP option, since I haven't traveled from Madrid to SJPdP. I found it incredibly easy.

Catch the train at Charles De Gaulle airport to Bayonne (this requires a transfer at Bordeau, which is very easy). Catch the train from Bayonne to SJPdP. (Or catch the replacement bus if the train isn't running due to track blockage as happened to me.)

If you have to stay overnight in Bayonne, there is a decent hotel across the street from the train station.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be heading for my first Camino (CF) in late April 2015. I've read a lot about the various routes to get to SJPDP but was just curious for those who have travelled from afar....

So given the choice, would you consider Paris or Madrid as being the best 'Port of Entry'? i.e. how easy it is to get to SJPDP from either.

My thought at the moment is probably Madrid, with fly/train/bus options to Pamplona and then taxi to SJPDP.

But I'm just curious to hear from those who have done both options, whether fly/train to Biarritz/Bayonne and train to SJPDP is actually an easier option.

I guess I could always go in via one and out via the other.... Not too bothered about the relative costs, more the 'lower hassle' option....

P.S. I say 'I' because this will now be a solo journey. For those who I've had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know on this forum, Pat will not be up to it Health wise sadly. Nothing too serious, but she won't be Camino fit.

P.P.S. Of course the good news is...I can now travel a lot lighter and faster...;)

Robo:

I have done the trip both ways (only from the U.S.) and would recommend Madrid.

Inbound - From Madrid airport train or bus to Pamplona. I prefer train. Call Corazonpuro.es (website) they will pick you up at train or bus station, take you to their home, put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP the next day.

Outbound from Santiago - depending on time of your exiting flight. I like the overnight sleeping train. It arrives 8:00am at Chamartin station in Madrid. Take the Cercanias train from there to Madrid airport (runs every 30 minutes). If your flight is prior to 9:30 am, I would fly, train or bus in the night before, get a local hotel and depart in morning.

Couple of long days of travel, good luck mate.

Ultreia,
Joe

Paris to Bayonne is a direct, fast, pretty train ride. And Paris is Paris (versus Madrid, which is a fine city, but aside from Botin's, I've never loved Madrid).

Madrid to SJPDP is more complicated.

On the flipside Santiago to Madrid is easier than Santiago to Paris.

Also, coming from the US, it is often cheaper to fly into Madrid and out of Paris than it is to fly roundtrip to either of them (though that runs in the face of my advice of Paris/SJPDP and Santiago/Madrid)

Robo:

Inbound - From Madrid airport train or bus to Pamplona. I prefer train. Call Corazonpuro.es (website) they will pick you up at train or bus station, take you to their home, put you up for the night and drive you to SJPdP the next day.
Joe, thanks for this -- I just visited their site - what a great idea for my next CF.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My first Camino was Dubai to Paris (CDG). Spent the night in Paris and took the train from the CDG airport station down to SJPdP, with train changes in Bourdeaux and Bayonne. I got back to Paris from Santiago via Vueling Airlines, spent the night in Paris again and flew back to Dubai the next morning. The Vueling Airlines flight was easy and relatively cheap and the airport in Santiago is user friendly and cheap and easy to get to.
My second Camino was from the US to Madrid. Landed in Madrid and took the bus from the airport (stepped out the terminal and straight onto the bus) to Pamplona, with one bus change along the way in Soria. I didn't take the bus from Pamplona to SJPdP. Instead I opted for the Corazon de Puro option, which worked quite well, but I imagine the bus or taxi from there cannot be that hard to do. I got back to Madrid from Santiago via Iberia Express Airlines. Again, was a user friendly way to get there, but I also had the option of bus or train.
From the US I would definitely always fly into Madrid and get to SJPdP from there. It was just too easy.

Add Pamplona into your plane ticket if you're flying to Madrid, the price difference is not that much, once you land in Pamplona, take a bus, taxi, or have Corazon Puro pick you up.
The same goes for the return leg, fly from Santiago to Madrid.

Its faster to get from Madrid to SJPdP via Pamplona than it is to travel from Paris to SJPdP via Bayonne.

The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP runs from Easter to late fall ... so there might be one bus per day from Pamplona to SJPdP on your day of travel ... Else, given the taxi cost from Pamplona (or Roncesvalles), it might be more cost and time efficient to travel Paris to Bayonne.

Time from Madrid to Bayonne is approximately the same as Paris to Bayonne. The SNCF TER service from Bayonne to SJPdP runs 4 or 5 times per day every day all year so transportation connections are better than Pamplona to SJPdP.

One factor to consider is how you will get home from Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Port of entry is not the question, how to get back home is what you should be asking. SJPP is at the very most Northeastern corner of Spain, Santiago the very most Northwest corner of Spain. Paris will work but first you must get there from Santiago! There is a small user friendly airport in Santiago, but small, you may find yourself flying through Madrid in order to get back to a return flight from Paris, not the best planning.

Thank you all for your advice. It's starting to sound like 'in and out' via Madrid will be the most suitable option.

Coming through Madrid/Pamplona to SJPdP, the suggestion above about 'Corazon Puro' was especially helpful to an American lady we met in Orison in August. She was not physically strong and was not used to solo international travel, so the jet-lagged arrival in Madrid was a bit daunting for her. She was very happy she had pre-booked the Pamplona pick-up, meal & overnight stay en route to SJPdP provided by Barabara and Istvan at their hostal-home, 'Corazon Puro' in Biskarreta (corazonpuro.es).

Our friend spoke so highly of the house that we joined her there for our third night on the camino, after Orison and Roncesvalles (you can see we were walking 'turtle' distances in the early days!)

I can't speak about Madrid-Pamplona from personal experience though, as my husband and I had enjoyed an overnight train from Paris to Bayonne, then convenient local train/bus to SJPdP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @Robo - from Sydney I've done both. It's far cheaper from Madrid. Emirates fly directly from Sydney to Dubai to Madrid and that's the route we will be taking this year.

Hi we have flown into Paris from Adelaide for camino norte and caught fast train straight from the airport to The border. So quite easy but expensive. Also We have arrived in the Biarritz/Bayonne airport via London ... And then The train to SJPdP. Bit of a roundabout way but it was the first trip and we had relatives in London. At that time there wasn't the Pamplona bus service to SJPdP . I think the return trip is a consideration too. Trains are great in Spain . So Madrid is probably a better option for the leaving part if you have limited time . We have left santiago by plane and by bus.

Going to Pamplona to go back to SJPP is a little backwards. You can get a train from Paris to Bayonne and get a train/bus (the tracks washed) out direct to SJPP.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Etihad fly in Paris out Madrid from Sydney.
About the same price as in out of either when I booked several weeks back.
You can also connect to Biarritz BIQ (bus/taxi to Bayonne) with EasyJet from CDG.

I recommend flying INTO Paris, Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and OUT OF Madrid Barajas Airport (MAD). That's called an "Open Jaw" in the airline biz.

In my experience, that will lead to the smoothest transition to the starting point, as well as an easy return from Santiago. There are abundant suggestions on how to make the connections to get from CDG to St. Jean Pied de Port. It is much easier than it sounds. Take the "les Cars Air France coach (Line #4) from the terminal to Gare Montparnasse. Ride the TGV high-speed train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne. At Bayonne switch to the TER regional / local train route #62 to St. Jean Pied de Port. If you arrive at CDG in the early morning, there is a noon (ish) train that puts you into Bayonne in time to connect to the TER train. Yes, you spend all day getting from Paris to St. Jean Pied de Porte, but you see a lot of beautiful country and it is more or less direct. Make a reservation somewhere at St. Jean Pied de Port for your first night as you will not arrive until perhaps 1900 or a little later.

In my view, coming up from Madrid involves more "iffy" connections and what I term backtracking. Also, if you go in from CDG and out at MAD, you see new scenery on both ends.

The only downside on the return from Santiago is that you will need to plan on spending at least one night at Madrid, as trains and buses from Santiago generally get you to Madrid too late to catch outbound flights for that day.

I hope this helps...

I have started both ways. I prefer Paris for emotional reasons: there is just something fun about walking into a country. If you land in Madrid, you have already been to Spain before you start your Camino. But if you fly through Paris, there is that wonderful moment when you reach the Spanish border and you step from France into Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I've flown into Paris and the train connection is great. However; if I were to to it again I would fly to Bilbao. Great connection from Canada and short bus ride to SJPdP (and a chance to wind down in San SebStian :) )

Great suggestions, many thanks. A lot to consider... In via Paris and out via Madrid is starting to sound appealing.

Thank you all for sharing your advice and experience. The danger of course.....is 'over thinking' all of this preparation and planning!

So for better or worse, the plan is now this: Lots of flexibility time built in, as I'm sure things will go wrong....

Inbound.

Fly into Paris CDG. Around midday.
Stay the night in Paris to recover a bit. Probably near Gare Gare Montparnasse to make it easy to get over to the early train.
TGV next day to Bayonne. Early train (07:28), as it has the 'quiet' coaches (IDTGV) and I can arrive in SJPDP not too late.
Taxi from Bayonne to SJPDP (two reasons, to avoid a three hour wait for the local train and also to get to SJPDP early pm, to allow more post flight recuperation time). Nearer the date (27 April) I'll post details in case anyone would like a lift.

Flight schedules don't really allow me to get into Paris and up to SJPDP in the same day. And I figure some enforced 'adjustment' and rest time would be best before 'attacking' the Hill on day 1....

Outbound.

Fly SDC to Madrid early am. Catching PM flight home to Australia.

I have allowed some 'buffer' time for injuries, rest days and hopefully including Finisterra. So no 'rushing' for the return flight.

It's all starting to get a bit real now. Very exciting :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€83,-
Robo,
It sounds like you are getting very close to a good plan.

Personally, I would use this service on my way to SJpdP (from Pamplona). I have used them this year:

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Read carefully what they offer. It is a "no hassle" option.

Very affordable and friendly. It will allow you some more rest time before you start walking, and it will give you a really nice start for your Camino. Those people are experienced former pilgrims and can give you vasluable advice.

Robo,
It sounds like you are getting very close to a good plan.

Personally, I would use this service on my way to SJpdP (from Pamplona). I have used them this year:

http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html

Read carefully what they offer. It is a "no hassle" option.

Very affordable and friendly. It will allow you some more rest time before you start walking, and it will give you a really nice start for your Camino. Those people are experienced former pilgrims and can give you vasluable advice.

Yes I looked at that Alex. Very good reports.

There are so many options aren't there?

I've locked this plan in now with flights etc. Gives me a bit of variety, and I actually quite like the idea, as mentioned by Robert above, of first entering Spain from the Camino itself.

Maybe I'll try Corazonpuro on my 'next' Camino :)

Gives me a bit of variety, and I actually quite like the idea, as mentioned by Robert above, of first entering Spain from the Camino itself.
Good choice. But from my personal experience, Paris is a long way away from the Camino, and much hassle getting there (to SJpdP). Plus language problems if you don't speak French. Madrid/Barcelona and then Pamplona is much easier. And when in Pamplona, you have all options. And they are all easy and cost-effective, compared to Paris.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good choice. But from my personal experience, Paris is a long way away from the Camino, and much hassle getting there (to SJpdP). Plus language problems if you don't speak French. Madrid/Barcelona and then Pamplona is much easier. And when in Pamplona, you have all options. And they are all easy and cost-effective, compared to Paris.

Yes it is a long way, but I quite like the idea of the train ride on the TGV and a chance for dinner in Paris :)

I speak a bit of tourist French. Enough to get by. But actually the last time I was in Paris (10 years ago) I was left feeling that the Mayor of Paris must have bullied the populace into being more friendly with those who don't speak French! It used to be almost impossible to get anyone in France to even acknowledge they spoke any English whatsoever. But then we English and the French do a 'certain history' and long memories ;)

vive la difference et vive les rosbifs :)

Thank you all for sharing your advice and experience. The danger of course.....is 'over thinking' all of this preparation and planning!

So for better or worse, the plan is now this: Lots of flexibility time built in, as I'm sure things will go wrong....

Inbound.

Stay the night in Paris to recover a bit. Probably near Gare Gare Montparnasse to make it easy to get over to the early train.
TGV next day to Bayonne. Early train (07:28), as it has the 'quiet' coaches (IDTGV) and I can arrive in SJPDP not too late.
Taxi from Bayonne to SJPDP (two reasons, to avoid a three hour wait for the local train and also to get to SJPDP early pm, to allow more post flight recuperation time). Nearer the date (27 April) I'll post details in case anyone would like a lift.

Flight schedules don't really allow me to get into Paris and up to SJPDP in the same day. And I figure some enforced 'adjustment' and rest time would be best before 'attacking' the Hill on day 1....

Outbound.

I have allowed some 'buffer' time for injuries, rest days and hopefully including Finisterra. So no 'rushing' for the return flight.

I enjoyed the train ride from Paris to SJPdP on my first Camino very much. It was a beautiful blue skies day. I parlez-vous no Francais, and missed my train change in Bourdeaux and jumped off two stops too early before Bayonne, but still got to SJPdP on the last train of the day. Walked down from the train station in the dark and found a hotel.
Made for a very interesting start to my Camino and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As this is my first Camino, I find the whole planning process quite intriguing.

On the one hand, I want to make sure my flights, train schedules etc will 'work' and be relatively hassle free.

But I'm also conscious of allowing enough flexibility or 'slack' in my schedules to enjoy the whole experience and not be worried about 'timetables'.

The result hopefully, is a rough plan (very rough) in terms of timing, that will cater for anything that crops up. I certainly won't be rushing....

I find the same thinking being applied to my gear. Pre Camino planning is all about trying to make sure I have the best chance of success, whatever that might be. But once I leave home, all my choices won't really matter anymore. What happens will happen. If that makes sense.

Or maybe in other words.

Plan well.
Plan for obvious things that might go wrong.
But be realistic in my abilities and expectations..

And once underway..........just go with the flow and enjoy.

Last edited:
On the one hand, I want to make sure my flights, train schedules etc will 'work' and be relatively hassle free.

But I'm also conscious of allowing enough flexibility or 'slack' in my schedules to enjoy the whole experience and not be worried about 'timetables'.

I don't think those are opposing goals. In fact they go together. The more time you give yourself the more the schedule will work. It's the people that try and cut things too fine that end up in trouble.

I'll be flying in from Sydney. So given the choice, would you consider Paris or Madrid as being the best 'Port of Entry'? i.e. how easy it is to get to SJPDP from either. My thought at the moment is probably Madrid, with fly/train/bus options to Pamplona and then taxi to SJPDP.
;)
Robo - if you have not experience Paris (city of light - nearly as good as Sydney's NYE fireworks) I suggest this route/port of entry. From Dubai (assuming Qantas/Emirates to Dubai and then Emirates to Paris) the early flight gets it around 1.00 pm and the late one around 9.30 pm. So you could overnight and get the early train (TGV) to Bayonne and then connect to SJPP - arriving in time to get a room and your pilgrims passport and set off the next day. Happy New Year, Buen Camino.:):D;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As this is my first Camino, I find the whole planning process quite intriguing.

The result hopefully, is a rough plan (very rough) in terms of timing, that will cater for anything that crops up. I certainly won't be rushing....

I find the same thinking being applied to my gear. Pre Camino planning is all about trying to make sure I have the best chance of success, whatever that might be. But once I leave home, all my choices won't really matter anymore. What happens will happen. If that makes sense.

Or maybe in other words.

Plan well.
Plan for obvious things that might go wrong.
But be realistic in my abilities and expectations..

And once underway..........just go with the flow and enjoy.

Robo:

There is no bad plan and many decisions are based on factors other than ease of ingress and egress. Enjoy your night in Paris. Madrid is an equally beautiful city which you can enjoy prior to going home.

As far as planning beyond your arrival in SJPdP and going home I would recommend you just go with the flow of the Camino and let it be your guide.

Ultreia,
Joe

Robo:

There is no bad plan and many decisions are based on factors other than ease of ingress and egress. Enjoy your night in Paris. Madrid is an equally beautiful city which you can enjoy prior to going home.

As far as planning beyond your arrival in SJPdP and going home I would recommend you just go with the flow of the Camino and let it be your guide.

Ultreia,
Joe

Thanks for the tip Joe. My plan or 'non plan' exactly. I have booked SJPDP and Roncesvalles, and that's it. 'play it by ear' from there.

114 sleeps to go. If I was counting that is :)

I've only flown into Paris and caught the train to Bayonne (will do the same this April), finding it very convenient. As for if things don't go as smoothly as planned, which is often the case, I just step back and ask myself "what is my reality right now?" Lost bag, missed connection or whatever just means I have to roll with a new situation. Getting upset or frustrated at that fact changes nothing. And sometimes, those glitches can be blessings in disguise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all for your advice. It's starting to sound like 'in and out' via Madrid will be the most suitable option.

We always use Jawing Robo , fly into where ever and out from a different city.
Most airlines allow this , especially our mob.
Emirates/Qantas also fly from Lisbon which we have used often as we always end up after a walk having a holiday inPortugal.
For the Frances and Norte we flew into Biarritz from Paris then the train.
For Le Puy we flew into Lyon from Paris then train to Le Puy.

Have you thought of getting the train to Bordeaux , a wonderful city , from Paris after your flight.
Its a 5 hour trip, trains often with one departing @ 3.45pm , arriving Bordeaux @ 8.30pm
The next day or even the day after trains are aplenty and its only 2 hours.
The early train then to StJPdP for another rest day.
We use Bon La France for train timetables.
**Both Bordeaux and St J are worth seeing mate.
Hotels around train stations in Paris don't excite us .

Have a day or two in Madrid before going home , its great and its tooooo blooody far to visit.
Muxia and Finisterre are a must...walk there mate.

Safe flight and have a great journey.
David

Yes I've traveled also to Biarritz in France and from there it's just a short trip with the bus and the train to SJPP. By plane from Bruxelles to Biarritz.

P.P.S. Of course the good news is...I can now travel a lot lighter and faster
I've only flown into Paris and caught the train to Bayonne (will do the same this April), finding it very convenient. As for if things don't go as smoothly as planned, which is often the case, I just step back and ask myself "what is my reality right now?" Lost bag, missed connection or whatever just means I have to roll with a new situation. Getting upset or frustrated at that fact changes nothing. And sometimes, those glitches can be blessings in disguise.

...;)
Robo
Barcelona is a good way if you fly Singapore air stop over in sinapore for a couple of hours then into Barcelona

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Robo
Barcelona is a good way if you fly Singapore air stop over in sinapore for a couple of hours then into Barcelona

Good idea. So many options. But already booked now. In via Paris and out via Madrid.

Not exactly a major International Airport, but I'll check it out. I'd rather limit the number of flight sectors if possible to 2. Just want to get there and get started with the minimum of hassle. :)

P.S. Just checked. Barcelona would involve a 3rd sector and going SYD-BKK-LHR-BCN

But still worth looking at.
I will be flying Brisbane to Singapore to Barcelona in September, only a 4 hour stopover in Singapore total time to get there was about 25 hours, which isn't too bad. Sounds like pretty good connections, bus or train to Pamploma where I will start my walk. This was with Singapore Airlines.

Flew to Madrid from the states and then on to Santiago. Courteously, the flight was about the same price regardless if I flew to Madrid or Santiago. Flights to Paris were not so accommodating. Once in Santiago, I took a train east to Leon and hiked back to Santiago. Plan to do something similar when I do Porto to Santiago in spring, 2016.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Fly to LONDON. Get the RYANAIR flight to BIARRITZ it is cheaper and quicker.

Fly to LONDON. Get the RYANAIR flight to BIARRITZ it is cheaper and quicker.

Yet another option, thanks Paul. Already booked now. In via Paris and out via Madrid. But trying to keep flight sectors down to two if I can and cost is not a major factor. Plus I get a night in Paris and a trip on the TGV...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fly to Paris get the flight to Biarritz , 1 hour and you are there.

Yes I thought of that, it's a sound plan. But on reflection I don't actually want to get there too quickly. Time to recuperate after the flight and adjust to local time zones would be sensible I think.

So my current plan SYD-DBX-CDG gets me there in two flight sectors.
An 'early night' to relax.
A trip on the TGV. (with EB picking me up at the other end)
Another 'early night' to relax.

Better I think than rushing to get there and starting out jet lagged and exhausted.

Whilst I am quite used to frequent long distance air travel for business and holidays (given where we live, most Australians are) I think that tackling the Pyrenees on Day 1 might be a bit more arduous than heading straight into a 2 hour business meeting on a heavy session sitting on the beach.

And I'm not exactly going to win the prize for 'fittest Pilgrim' so I think anything I can do in physical and mental preparation for the big day can only help.

P.S. I seem to spend my working life 'living' in Airports. I actually like long distance flights! It's a chance to relax, unwind, watch some movies, knock back some wine. It's the hanging around in and travel through Airports that I find tedious.

Yes I thought of that, it's a sound plan. But on reflection I don't actually want to get there too quickly. Time to recuperate after the flight and adjust to local time zones would be sensible I think.

So my current plan SYD-DBX-CDG gets me there in two flight sectors.
An 'early night' to relax.
A trip on the TGV. (with EB picking me up at the other end)
Another 'early night' to relax.

Better I think than rushing to get there and starting out jet lagged and exhausted.

Whilst I am quite used to frequent long distance air travel for business and holidays (given where we live, most Australians are) I think that tackling the Pyrenees on Day 1 might be a bit more arduous than heading straight into a 2 hour business meeting on a heavy session sitting on the beach.

And I'm not exactly going to win the prize for 'fittest Pilgrim' so I think anything I can do in physical and mental preparation for the big day can only help.

P.S. I seem to spend my working life 'living' in Airports. I actually like long distance flights! It's a chance to relax, unwind, watch some movies, knock back some wine. It's the hanging around in and travel through Airports that I find tedious.

Completely agree with above.
The Paris-Biarritz only works if you land early in Paris as the flight south is around 10am .
Safe flight mate

@Robo a good result. We've done the same thing a couple of times. It costs a bit more to travel by TGV from Paris than the train from Madrid but it's a good way to start getting over the jet lag. We did manage to miss the TGV connection once - stayed in my favourite hotel in Paris and were lured into a relaxed start the next day. Did not give ourselves enough time to get to Montparnasse the next morning. RailEurope will kidnap you if you search for bookings on the net - go directly to the SNCF site to get much cheaper fares ($100 less, last time I checked) and more options.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Robo a good result. We've done the same thing a couple of times. It costs a bit more to travel by TGV from Paris than the train from Madrid but it's a good way to start getting over the jet lag. We did manage to miss the TGV connection once - stayed in my favourite hotel in Paris and were lured into a relaxed start the next day. Did not give ourselves enough time to get to Montparnasse the next morning. RailEurope will kidnap you if you search for bookings on the net - go directly to the SNCF site to get much cheaper fares ($100 less, last time I checked) and more options.

Thanks for the tip Kanga. I plan on staying within a few hundred meters of Gare Montparnasse, and catching the 7:28 am train South. Can nap some more on the train, and will get to SJPDP early afternoon.

Inbound.

Outbound.

Hmmmm. Have I screwed this up?

Just tried to book my TGV ticket online, and the 07:28 train does not even show up on the SNCF site as an option? Surely it can't be full?

I know someone here provided a great link for TGV bookings (I should have noted it). It was an SBNF site I think. But not the one I just checked. The booking form looked different, and I could specify which Paris station I was departing from, rather than just Paris All, as per this site.

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

Any other SNCF sites (or urls) for TGV bookings?

Hmmmm. Have I screwed this up?

Just tried to book my TGV ticket online, and the 07:28 train does not even show up on the SNCF site as an option? Surely it can't be full?

I know someone here provided a great link for TGV bookings (I should have noted it). It was an SBNF site I think. But not the one I just checked. The booking form looked different, and I could specify which Paris station I was departing from, rather than just Paris All, as per this site.

http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

Any other SNCF sites (or urls) for TGV bookings?

I tried Rail Europe .com and the following happened;
Paris---Biarritz , put in date 10/2/2015 pressed the box indicating trains after 6.ooam and pressed ok.
Up came 7.28 from Montp., pressed best fare second class , continued and $100 Oz per person.
This train appears up until the 28/2.
Tried the same using March, April and the first train was @ 10.28am and prices around $50-80 pp.
Better wait until the month before you depart Robo.
or
To make you smile , have a nice one and a half days in Paris , early train to Orly [ 40 minutes] flights taking one hour with Air France @ 7.00am or 8.50am to Biarritz costing $70 or $100 then the 9.30am or midday train to St Jean , looking at the Blue Mountains and then have a nice lunch....and because you are really relax get to Orisson by 5 pm same day.
Just to make you smile mate.
Safe trip when you depart.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I tried Rail Europe .com and the following happened;
Paris---Biarritz , put in date 10/2/2015 pressed the box indicating trains after 6.ooam and pressed ok.
Up came 7.28 from Montp., pressed best fare second class , continued and $100 Oz per person.
This train appears up until the 28/2.
Tried the same using March, April and the first train was @ 10.28am and prices around $50-80 pp.
Better wait until the month before you depart Robo.
or
To make you smile , have a nice one and a half days in Paris , early train to Orly [ 40 minutes] flights taking one hour with Air France @ 7.00am or 8.50am to Biarritz costing $70 or $100 then the 9.30am or midday train to St Jean , looking at the Blue Mountains and then have a nice lunch....and because you are really relax get to Orisson by 5 pm same day.
Just to make you smile mate.
Safe trip when you depart.

Always another option :)

Just curious why, when I looked two months ago, the 07:28 was there as an option. On another site, it was shown as "tickets temporarily unavailable".

€149,-
Hi Robo,

What day exactly would you like te leave from Paris?
I checked too from the Netherlands (probably the prices are also depending from what country you are in) and get very cheap tickets in the end of april, from 24 euro 2nd class en 39 euro first class.
Indeed no train coming up before 12.28.

Hi Robo,

What day exactly would you like te leave from Paris?
I checked too from the Netherlands (probably the prices are also depending from what country you are in) and get very cheap tickets in the end of april, from 24 euro 2nd class en 39 euro first class.
Indeed no train coming up before 12.28.

Hi Thomas,

I plan to take the 07:28 train on 27th April. I'll keep watching the booking sites to see if the 7:28 am reappears.

Otherwise I'll just take a later train.

I feel my Camino has started, so I'll just go with the flow and not worry about it. If I arrive later.........I arrive later. :)

I just checked different sites and found out different things.
From http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/:
If you tick off the direct journey only box, there is one more train coming up at 10.46 with a change at bordeaux.
If you search first for travelling to Dax, there is a train at 6.28. In Dax there doesn't seem to be a perfect connection, but at least you will be earlier then the first direct train.
The direct train from paris to Biarritz at 14.28 gives a real cheap prize: €29.90.

Maybe the german railway site (db.de) does help to look for more possibilities.
Hope it doesn't give you too much to choose from... :)

€83,-
I just checked different sites and found out different things.
From http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/:
If you tick off the direct journey only box, there is one more train coming up at 10.46 with a change at bordeaux.
If you search first for travelling to Dax, there is a train at 6.28. In Dax there doesn't seem to be a perfect connection, but at least you will be earlier then the first direct train.
The direct train from paris to Biarritz at 14.28 gives a real cheap prize: €29.90.

Maybe the german railway site (db.de) does help to look for more possibilities.
Hope it doesn't give you too much to choose from... :)

Hi Thomas,

Yes I saw those other options. Some involve 1 or 2 changes of train and even transferring to a Bus.

I think to keep things simple and reduce the risk of missing connections, or getting lost, I'll just pick a later direct train.

But still hopeful the 7:28 am will reappear at some stage. Maybe they only run it when the others are full? Who knows...

Hi Thomas,

Yes I saw those other options. Some involve 1 or 2 changes of train and even transferring to a Bus.

I think to keep things simple and reduce the risk of missing connections, or getting lost, I'll just pick a later direct train.

But still hopeful the 7:28 am will reappear at some stage. Maybe they only run it when the others are full? Who knows...

I think its the reverse Robo
This early train takes commuters to work thus they might stop too many bookings from tourists.
I will keep you smiling mate,
8.50 flight , arrival in Biarritz @ 10.00am.

I think its the reverse Robo
This early train takes commuters to work thus they might stop too many bookings from tourists.
I will keep you smiling mate,
8.50 flight , arrival in Biarritz @ 10.00am.

Yea yea.... :) You love to fly. I'll have been flying for 24 hours already. I was looking forward to a train ride :)

Short flights are such a waste of time I find. Travel out to Airport, go through all the check in security etc etc. Quick flight. And the same the other end. I spend half my life doing short flights back home and where possible I drive! It's quicker sometimes door to door!

But Yes......... I might consider a flight instead :(

Hope your connection will show up soon!

If it hasn't been mentioned already, and you have the time, you might consider Bilbao. As a smaller city, it will likely require a connecting flight in Spain. There is a narrow gauge Basque train that takes you to San Sebastian (also worth a night at least), and then another that I think goes to Biarritz and/or Bayonne.

Yea yea.... :) You love to fly. I'll have been flying for 24 hours already. I was looking forward to a train ride :)

Short flights are such a waste of time I find. Travel out to Airport, go through all the check in security etc etc. Quick flight. And the same the other end. I spend half my life doing short flights back home and where possible I drive! It's quicker sometimes door to door!

But Yes......... I might consider a flight instead :(

Every time in the last 8 years we have planned landing early , getting the best connection and getting to our starting point ASAP.
Once there we relax and maybe not start for a day or two but we are there.
STJPdP, Porto, Leon/ Le Puy, Biarritz , Madrid, Pamplona [alone] , Mont St Michel and this year Toulouse are all wonderful towns that we have enjoyed before walking.
We always stay in Paris or Madrid for a few nights before the flight home.
This year we will turn RIGHT , GR10 at St JPdP and walk to San Sebastian / Bilbao / Santander for 2 nights each before Madrid and home.
In you position i would catch the 7.30am train every day if i wanted to see Paris for a night on landing.
All i am saying is that with the right connection you are in Biarritz by 10.00am , StJPdP by 2.00pm and having lunch in this lovely village getting rid of the jet lag.

Last edited:

€149,-
I always take the 10:26 TGV 8522 from Montparnasse directly to Biarritz, it arrives there at 15:43. I never had a problem with getting a seat assignment, always buy a sandwich and drinks at the station but then the dining car is available to first and second class passengers. One issue could be school holidays, the date you are looking at is just before the Labor Day holiday.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We got off there and cycled to Bayonne along the coast, but thought the train continued for a ways - even if in the wrong country ;-)

Well, you can continue further north by train but not on the narrow gauge one. You need to get out of the Euskotren station in Hendaye, cross the parking, arrive to the SNCF gare and take an SNCF train to Biarritz, Bayonne, Bordeaux, Paris...

Booking the Paris - Bayonne TGV seems to be rather a lottery!

Just looked today and there is now a direct 10:28 am. So I grabbed a seat on that one.
At least it means I am not getting up too early to catch the 7:28 am!

A good omen for my Camino I think ...... No rushing....

All starting to get very 'real' now! :)

Overnight in Paris Booked.
TGV booked.
Pickup in Bayonne booked with Caroline at Express Bourricot. Happy to share taxi on 27 Apr see: Bayonne to St JPPP Taxi Share
St JPP hotel booked.
SdC - Madrid Flight booked.
Madrid - home flight booked.

Feel like I just want to go now! But a couple more months of regular walking and weight loss will help I think :(

Last interesting bit is a planning meeting at work to decide who will do what whilst I'm away! The joys of being a Business Owner :(
I definitely do not want to be getting work related calls and emails...........

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We did: Sydney > London > Biarritz then shuttle bus to St Jean.

Wondering how it all went Robo. Have only just stumbled on this thread so too late for suggestions. I hope you gave yourself enough rest days to get over jet lag before attacking those alps. Coming from Australia we find it absolutely necessary to allow a few days up front.

We have flown Syd-Sing-Barcelona for the last few years. Barcelona is a major international airport and it's a great city.

Joe, thanks for this -- I just visited their site - what a great idea for my next CF.
We took this option in 2016, but understand Corazon Puro is closed now

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back