• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Restaurants in Santiago for Authentic Cuisine

koilife

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
I have some very dear friends arriving in SdC on the Frances at the same time as my son and I are arriving from the Ingles. I'd like to take them out for a truly authentic Spanish cuisine experience (they've eaten exclusively pilgrim fare for the last 30 days).

I'd like to keep things somewhere in the 50€ per person range, but am willing to go higher for the right place. Of value would be a place that allows for variety and more smaller dishes, even samplers, rather than a large dishes that limit the range of what people can try.

Suggestions? Please include rationale or details.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
http://dezaseis.com/
Con culler opened 4 months ago and offers refined meals.
Then there's the "pick your fish/seafood and have it prepared the way you like it" at the market, but for lunch.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not in the €50 price range but full of pilgrims, between the cathedral and the pilgrims office and with the most wonderful service and delightful cheap but oh so tasty food is Restaurante Tavara. Nothing but praise for the 3 meals I ate there. Once at €8.50 and twice splashing out at €14. Pretty much guaranteed to either have part of your Camino family walk in, be queuing outside or passing by on their way to or from the pilgrims office.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, we ended up at Abastos 2.0 where they had essentially a tasting menu for the evening (it changes nightly). It was absolutely extraordinary, probably on the top 10 list of meals in my life. Our waiter was one of the family that owns and runs it. He explained each of the dishes and how to eat it (not obvious with a few of them).

All totaled, with the full meal, wine, and pre-meal drinks, I think we landed right around 40€ per person, possibly a bit more (my friends swiped the check before I knew what they were doing).

So, we ended up at Abastos 2.0 where they had essentially a tasting menu for the evening (it changes nightly). It was absolutely extraordinary, probably on the top 10 list of meals in my life. Our waiter was one of the family that owns and runs it. He explained each of the dishes and how to eat it (not obvious with a few of them).

All totaled, with the full meal, wine, and pre-meal drinks, I think we landed right around 40€ per person, possibly a bit more (my friends swiped the check before I knew what they were doing).

Duly noted for October! Thanks for the recommendation.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back