• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route for a first timer

Best route

• Total voters

ravichok

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk 2017
Hi all,

Been reading and enjoying this forum for a while - thank you to all the regular posters lighting the way for us newcomers.

I am planning to walk the camino for the first time in July/Aug 2017 and have about 3 weeks time. I know that is near peak season and want to avoid large crowds. Ideally I would love to find a path where I run into people regularly but have times of solitude as well. I am in my early 30's and reasonably good shape for walking.

So far I am considering
- the Portuguese route (inland or coastal?)
- Primitivo

Which would you recommend and why? Should I consider any of the other routes? I would consider reaching Santiago and then continuing on to Finisterre if I have the time.

Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning to walk the camino for the first time in July/Aug 2017 and have about 3 weeks time. I know that is near peak season and want to avoid large crowds. Ideally I would love to find a path where I run into people regularly but have times of solitude as well. I am in my early 30's and reasonably good shape for walking.
Follow your inclination. Even on a 'busy' route like the Frances, there is no need to walk with even a few others, let alone a crowd. Choose smaller places to stay if you want to avoid the throng in a dormitory, but realize that many find the camaraderie of the albergue one of the genuine delights of their Camino experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am thinking about doing this this fall. Will be my first time. Is it better to go with a small group or figure it out and go it alone?

I am thinking about doing this this fall. Will be my first time. Is it better to go with a small group or figure it out and go it alone?
That really depends on you. I wanted to go solo, because I didn't want to be committed to walking with someone else. I wanted to walk my pace, stop when I wanted to stop, meet new people, etc.

That really depends on you. I wanted to go solo, because I didn't want to be committed to walking with someone else. I wanted to walk my pace, stop when I wanted to stop, meet new people, etc.
Thank you for your reply. Which route did you take and how long did it take you?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Frances last year. It took me 33 days. I stopped at Orisson my first night, and took one rest day in Leon.

Hi all,

Been reading and enjoying this forum for a while - thank you to all the regular posters lighting the way for us newcomers.

So far I am considering
- Primitivo

Which would you recommend and why? Should I consider any of the other routes? I would consider reaching Santiago and then continuing on to Finisterre if I have the time.

Thank you!

I did my first Camino last May and was very happy with my choice. I did the English Way - I actually had the good blessings of St James to run into Johnnie Walker - I had a fabulous time. It was nice to complete a full walk and not just a part of one due to time constraints. The English Way was not crowded, but there were enough other pilgrims to experience the unique camaraderie found only on the Camino. I am addicted! will be doing Portuguese in Fall 2017. Whatever you do, Make it your own there is nothing like it!

Hi all,

So far I am considering
- Primitivo

Thank you!
Hello and welcome.

What ever advice you will get at the end you and you alone make the decision witch route you will do.

Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you choose a walking companion properly, it honestly is more fun with someone else. However, if the other person is very needy, going alone is definitely better. At home, do you hang out with just yourself, or do you like to share the day and your thoughts with someone else? Whatever you do, it will be the same on the Camino. You will have plenty of companions to walk with if you go alone, and if one has become tiresome, you can move to another. You cannot do that if you bring someone with you (at least you cannot do it as easily).:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,

So far I am considering
- Primitivo

Thank you!
I've done parts of both the French route-from Leon (May, 2014) and inland Portuguese route-from Porto (May, 2016). The inland Portuguese is more laid back than the French route. I walked solo, but did plenty of walking with new found friends from many countries. Most often stayed in albergues but sometimes stayed in a convent or monastery or a small family-owned hotel/inn. It is all part of the experience. Bom Camino.

You will have plenty of companions to walk with if you go alone, and if one has become tiresome, you can move to another. You cannot do that if you bring someone with you (at least you cannot do it as easily).:)

That's exactly why I went alone last year. This year a friend is joining me, but she only has 10 days to walk, and she's not needy or annoying. :)

July?, August? Don't want crowds? Then forget Camino Frances. As beautiful as it is, it is quite crowded during that time period and getting more and more commercialized. (Unfortunately).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did my first Camino last May and was very happy with my choice. I did the English Way - I actually had the good blessings of St James to run into Johnnie Walker - I had a fabulous time. It was nice to complete a full walk and not just a part of one due to time constraints. The English Way was not crowded, but there were enough other pilgrims to experience the unique camaraderie found only on the Camino. I am addicted! will be doing Portuguese in Fall 2017. Whatever you do, Make it your own there is nothing like it!
Pardon my ignorance. I'm looking into my first Camino , can you expand on what the English way is. I'm currently looking for my routes as well. Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance. I'm looking into my first Camino , can you expand on what the English way is. I'm currently looking for my routes as well. Thanks.
The Camino Ingles - the English Way. There are two variants, one starting in Ferrol that qualifies for a compostela and the other starting in A Coruna. It doesn't qualify for a compostela unless you have made up the 100 km minimum distance by walking beforehand. This is a recent arrangement, and someone might have more details on exactly how one makes sure that one qualifies for the compostela walking the shorter route.

Lots of resources about this route on this forum and on the web. You can use the search function to find out more. If you do that and still have questions, there are regular contributors who are prepared to help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You won't find better than the Primitivo if you're looking for magnificent scenery- but you didn't mention that so it may not be a consideration.

Thank you for the great responses.
I am torn between Frances and Portuges - On one hand I have only 3 weeks total so completing the entire Frances is out of the question.
I am interested in the scenery of the Portugese coastal way (http://caminoways.com/ways/portuguese-coastal-way-caminho-da-costa/portuguese-coastal-way-full-walk)

, but I don't hear too much about it on this forum which makes it feel it will be a very isolated walk.

Does anyone have experience walking the portugese coastal way in the summer months? Conversely, what would be a good place to start on Frances for a 2-3 week walk at a comfortable pace?

Thank you

It is beautiful, and not crowded. You will have solitude, but you will also meet people if you wish. I can't compare it to any of the others, because it is the first and only I walked - I went end of May and took 6 days instead of 5 - I have to admit it was pretty hilly, but looking back on it, it was really more the heat than the climb. I started in Ferrol so I got my Compostella - there was quite a bit asphalt walking, but that was because we missed an arrow and we didn't walk along the sea. There are some YouTube videos that will show you "the way".

I am on the Portuguese route now. I have done three other routes Français's, Primitivo, and Norte. I am not a fan of the Portugues route and will not return.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am on the Portuguese route now. I have done three other routes Français's, Primitivo, and Norte. I am not a fan of the Portugues route and will not return.

Do you mind expanding on why the Portuguese route isn't your favorite?

90% pavement, lots of ghetto type sections, lot of industrial zone walking, and not anywhere near as "pilgrim friendly", with a few exeptions. Lisbon to Azinhagar last three days.

90% pavement, lots of ghetto type sections, lot of industrial zone walking, and not anywhere near as "pilgrim friendly", with a few exeptions. Lisbon to Azinhagar last three days.
Don't give up on it yet! My understanding is that there is less infrastructure in place between Lisbon and Porto, and once you are past Porto, the whole experience improves! I am leaving in May to walk Porto to SdC to Muxia. I had three weeks and wanted to do a complete route, I will return another time for the Frances! This is the first person I have seen comment negatively on the Portuguese route!

Don't give up on it yet! My understanding is that there is less infrastructure in place between Lisbon and Porto, and once you are past Porto, the whole experience improves! I am leaving in May to walk Porto to SdC to Muxia. I had three weeks and wanted to do a complete route, I will return another time for the Frances! This is the first person I have seen comment negatively on the Portuguese route!

This is what I've heard as well. Look forward to walking the Camino from Porto to SdC in July!

Hubby and I walked the first week and last week of the Camino Frances May of 2016 (then took bus to Finesterre-AMAZING) and are planning on walking from Porto to SdC and onto Muxia May-June 2017.....maybe see you in Portugal! We're hooked.

So where are you now, rba? Are you happier with your way?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not a big fan of this Camino. Only met one pilgrim over the last 9 days from Lisbon.

Not a big fan of this Camino. Only met one pilgrim over the last 9 days from Lisbon.
Once you get to Tui, there should be plenty! I intend to walk the coast to Vila do Conde then change to central, I would like to know what you end up doing and how it goes!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Once you get to Tui, there should be plenty! I intend to walk the coast to Vila do Conde then change to central, I would like to know what you end up doing and how it goes!

Ok I will let you know.
I am now on day 10 from Lisbon and only one pilgrim! 90% roads.

Ok I will let you know.
I am now on day 10 from Lisbon and only one pilgrim! 90% roads.
Thinking of you, and waiting to see if you are feeling better about your walk! Did you spend any time in Porto?

Thinking of you, and waiting to see if you are feeling better about your walk! Did you spend any time in Porto?

Not sure what to do I am in Porto and rain predicted for next few days. I could use some information on good Albergue s along the route for a few days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a walking tour that is supposed to be really nice, if the weather holds. Eugenia is the organizer, you can reach her at portofreewalkingtour@gmail.com. Do you have TripAdvisor? Look up things to do in Porto. My WisePilgrim app lists 3 albergues for Porto: AHBV Porto (donativo), Albergue do Peregrino Nossa Senhora do Roasario de Vilar (23Euros), and Refugio do Peregrines ViaPortuscale (pilgrim only/donativo). I have seen a lot of recommendations on hostels in Porto also: especially Tattva Design Hostel (15E) and Spot Hostel (17E). There are LOTS of hostels! If you haven't already downloaded WisePilgrim, you should do that, it's really helpful! I just looked....sooooo much rain in the 10 day forecast. That probably isn't going to help your mood any, is it?

Serendipitous that I am researching the Frances, Prim and Norte for my first walk in August '18. Which would you recommend for scenery and pilgrim experience for a solo mid 50s female? Plan now is to do 2 weeks in '18 and finish in '19. I will do some training in the mountains here in So Cal and not worried about fitness.

I poted a thread called 'Reflections' yesterday if you want a recent perspective on the CP. I liked it, but it is different to the CF.

Can you explain why you feel this way? We have walked the Frances and have cycled the Norte. We are planning to walk the Portuguese route next spring.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back