• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route for a rookie pilgrim?

Jacki

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Portuguese
2024 - Francés
Hi all! I have been dreaming of walking the Camino for SO long and I follow this forum like a drug....trouble is I'm getting overwhelmed with all the info and my head is spinning! Briefly, this is my dilemma. I plan on walking the El Norte in 2019 with a pal...but I can't wait til then and I want to do one next year, on my own (eek). I'm a 62yr old active female in decent shape (other than a fractured ankle right now!)whose passion is hiking and yoga....and I was considering the Portuguese way but now I read somewhere that there is a lot of pavement and cobble stones..... I'm honestly looking for countryside (ocean views are a plus) paths, villages/small towns oozing in culture etc and not fighting crowds of people(not interested in the Camino Frances for that reason).... Time is not an issue, I don't want to rush the experience but instead soak up the beauty of the surrounding nature. Any suggestions for alternative routes in Portugal or elsewhere? ...I was considering the Invierno at one time but read that it's tough and more isolated and better suited for a seasoned Camino pilgrim. Considering the fall of 2018.....all advice greatly appreciated! :))

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm honestly looking for countryside (ocean views are a plus) paths, villages/small towns oozing in culture
Walk the Chemin de St. Jacques, Le Puy en Velay to St. Jean Pied de Port. I don't think you need Spain for what you want. The scenery is far superior to Spain, the atmosphere more relaxed, the crowds small, the food great, and the history incredible. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much for the tip - not familiar with that route but will def check it out! Sounds lovely..and a good combo of all I'm searching for...I'm also pretty sure I'm going to get addicted to this Camino stuff and never stop once I get going! It's just the first one that seems so intimidating.....:)

Last edited:
Hopefully I do better on the Camino than posting on this forum. Seems I've duplicated my post several times, silly iPad app!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If time is no object, walk from LePuy to Santiago. Its in the neighborhood of 70 days and gives you ALL the possible pilgrim experiences. LePuy route is beautiful walking with mostly social experience with the French locals. The Frances from SJPdP is traditional with a likely Camino family for heavy socialization and has lots of (crowded) infrastructure and very varied eco-zones. And the mind/spiritual experience seems to change vastly with the length of the walk. Maybe a reason Jesus was in the desert for 40 days!! I did this at age 70 and it is my favorite experience.

Hi all! I have been dreaming of walking the Camino for SO long and I follow this forum like a drug....trouble is I'm getting overwhelmed with all the info and my head is spinning! Briefly, this is my dilemma. I plan on walking the El Norte in 2019 with a pal...but I can't wait til then and I want to do one next year, on my own (eek). I'm a 62yr old active female in decent shape (other than a fractured ankle right now!)whose passion is hiking and yoga....and I was considering the Portuguese way but now I read somewhere that there is a lot of pavement and cobble stones..... I'm honestly looking for countryside (ocean views are a plus) paths, villages/small towns oozing in culture etc and not fighting crowds of people(not interested in the Camino Frances for that reason).... Time is not an issue, I don't want to rush the experience but instead soak up the beauty of the surrounding nature. Any suggestions for alternative routes in Portugal or elsewhere? ...I was considering the Invierno at one time but read that it's tough and more isolated and better suited for a seasoned Camino pilgrim. Considering the fall of 2018.....all advice greatly appreciated! :))
I did the Portuguese coastal route via the senda Litoral.. which generally keeps you on the coast from porto to Vigo (via Viana do costelo). I went in June when it was hot...i would expect much more variable weather in the autumn. The route provides a lot of contact with the sea side towns and ports as well as contrasting walks slightly inland. There is also the nice scenic and cultural contrast between northern portugal and Galicia. I enjoyed this immensely. It took me 17 days. I went porto to Vila do Conde (as I spent a morning sight seeing in beautiful Porto i started from the metro in mindelo), vila do conde to esposende, esposende to viana, viana to caminha, caminha to oia, oia to baiona, baiona to vigo, vigo to rededondela...from here you join the main Portuguese route to Santiago...i have a blog if you are interested at stevov.wordpress.com its not complete but does cover most of my route

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back