• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route for a rookie pilgrim?

Jacki

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Portuguese
2024 - Francés
Hi all! I have been dreaming of walking the Camino for SO long and I follow this forum like a drug....trouble is I'm getting overwhelmed with all the info and my head is spinning! Briefly, this is my dilemma. I plan on walking the El Norte in 2019 with a pal...but I can't wait til then and I want to do one next year, on my own (eek). I'm a 62yr old active female in decent shape (other than a fractured ankle right now!)whose passion is hiking and yoga....and I was considering the Portuguese way but now I read somewhere that there is a lot of pavement and cobble stones..... I'm honestly looking for countryside (ocean views are a plus) paths, villages/small towns oozing in culture etc and not fighting crowds of people(not interested in the Camino Frances for that reason).... Time is not an issue, I don't want to rush the experience but instead soak up the beauty of the surrounding nature. Any suggestions for alternative routes in Portugal or elsewhere? ...I was considering the Invierno at one time but read that it's tough and more isolated and better suited for a seasoned Camino pilgrim. Considering the fall of 2018.....all advice greatly appreciated! :))

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all! I have been dreaming of walking the Camino for SO long and I follow this forum like a drug....trouble is I'm getting overwhelmed with all the info and my head is spinning! Briefly, this is my dilemma. I plan on walking the El Norte in 2019 with a pal...but I can't wait til then and I want to do one next year, on my own (eek). I'm a 62yr old active female in decent shape (other than a fractured ankle right now!)whose passion is hiking and yoga....and I was considering the Portuguese way but now I read somewhere that there is a lot of pavement and cobble stones..... I'm honestly looking for countryside (ocean views are a plus) paths, villages/small towns oozing in culture etc and not fighting crowds of people(not interested in the Camino Frances for that reason).... Time is not an issue, I don't want to rush the experience but instead soak up the beauty of the surrounding nature. Any suggestions for alternative routes in Portugal or elsewhere? ...I was considering the Invierno at one time but read that it's tough and more isolated and better suited for a seasoned Camino pilgrim. Considering the fall of 2018.....all advice greatly appreciated! :))

Hey Jacki! You look great in your profile photo,so congrats on being an in-shape person (except for that ankle).

I leave for Camino in seventeen days, and am still not completely sure where I will begin, but probably Pamplona for the second time. I've walked CF from SJPP to SdC, and also Burgos to SdC (although I skipped a few sections).

Your information on CF is a bit off---you would most certainly fight crowds during the high season, but I've never walked that season. I walk during the late months (October and November) and I've walked early (April). Most days on the CF, I was alone. Isn't that incredible? It has always been nice.

Even walking from Sarria, I haven't been around that many people. I did notice more Spanish people walking from Sarria to SdC, and that was actually really nice. I've never been one to stay exclusively in albergues, so I never have to "race" to get to a crowded place to stay.

All that said, I have not done other walks, but have researched plenty. I consider walking Sanabres, Porto, Ingles, and then Muxia and Finisterre, and Primitivo. You will want to research those as well. I am also interested in Salvador, but need more information.

My suggestion to you is to research. If your ankle is really healed, perhaps part of the Norte', or perhaps you would want to walk some variation of the Porto--which has a coastal route as well as a Litoral route (which more closely follows the coast0>

I know that you'll learn a lot with lots and lots of reading.

Have fun!

Deb

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Jacki,

If you are also CaminoDebrita, you may want to delete a duplicate question. It just saves time.

From what I have gathered, this will be your first Camino. The Camino Frances offers many venues from farmland to isolated bush to downtown streets, pathways to roadsides and streetscapes. My recommendation for a first Camino is still Camino Frances for the simple reason that it is well serviced and civilization is not too far away. It is the safest route.

Also, remember that you do not have to do the entire route from SJPP. Start in Burgos or Logrono or any distance you wish from 100 km in Sarria to 800 km starting at SJPP.

Another option would be to start at Pamplona or any other spot and once completing in SdC, continue on to Muxia and Finisterre.

All other routes are not as well developed so finding Albergues and refugios will be more of a challenge as there are fewer. And these same routes will likely demand a greater command of espanol.

Once that first trip is done, your knowledge base will tell you what is possible and what is wise to leave alone.

I am a 64 yr old Canadian and had no fear of being alone on this route. I found my fellow Peregrinos / Peregrinas to be most compassionate and helpful when needed. In fact, I was, "saved," by a Road Crew Supervisor at Rio Erro before Zubiri after damaging my leg (IT Band Syndrome) shortly after leaving Espinal. This lady saw my red face (I am a redhead so red face in warm weather or when working hard is normal for me, but disconcerting to the locals), and that I was in a bit of pain and took me from the river to Zubiri where I could have it looked at.

It is an adventure no matter which route is chosen. Because it is new, it is best to play it as safe as you can without going crazy about it. Then it is not fun anymore.

Consider the Camino Frances in the off season (March-April or Oct-Nov). It is far less crowded after about the middle of October, you still get the vibe of the "Camino," and the walking conditions are usually excellent.

While I do agree that the Camino Frances is a wonderful, classic first route, don't eliminate the Via de la Plata, perhaps starting in Merida in the spring. No ocean views, but lots of countryside and towns oozing with culture. If you speak some Spanish, you'll be more confident.

Thank you both so much for the valuable input.....definitely more food for thought. It's so encouraging to have a forum like this with great seasoned peregrinos/ peregrinas- I just can't wait to hit the trail!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jacki,

I live within driving distance to SJPDP and had the occasion to be there last Friday. Said a brief hello to the people in the Pilgrims Office who told me numbers have gone down more than half. The silly season is over. I'm not attempting to influence your decision one way or another but maybe you might factor in this piece of information in your decision making. What your looking for certainly exists on the CF except for the ocean.....you need to walk the extra mile to Finistère for that. My last Camino on the CF was in May and it was getting busy then. But honestly it wasn't busy at all until I got to the last 110 kilometers where more paths merge. There were days I seemed to be the only one on the trail and it was blissful. My caminos are always religeous in nature so solitude is important for me especially when I enter a church. I find the CF adequate for those purposes. Good luck with your ankle. The CF does have its rocky paths too. It's not all smooth sailing. Enjoy your Camino....It's eagerly waiting for you. I'm not anglo-saxon but I assume Fall means Autumn. Wrap up for the evenings...it gets very crispy!

Hi Jacki,

If you are also CaminoDebrita, you may want to delete a duplicate question. It just saves time.

From what I have gathered, this will be your first Camino. The Camino Frances offers many venues from farmland to isolated bush to downtown streets, pathways to roadsides and streetscapes. My recommendation for a first Camino is still Camino Frances for the simple reason that it is well serviced and civilization is not too far away. It is the safest route.

Also, remember that you do not have to do the entire route from SJPP. Start in Burgos or Logrono or any distance you wish from 100 km in Sarria to 800 km starting at SJPP.

Another option would be to start at Pamplona or any other spot and once completing in SdC, continue on to Muxia and Finisterre.

All other routes are not as well developed so finding Albergues and refugios will be more of a challenge as there are fewer. And these same routes will likely demand a greater command of espanol.

Once that first trip is done, your knowledge base will tell you what is possible and what is wise to leave alone.

I am a 64 yr old Canadian and had no fear of being alone on this route. I found my fellow Peregrinos / Peregrinas to be most compassionate and helpful when needed. In fact, I was, "saved," by a Road Crew Supervisor at Rio Erro before Zubiri after damaging my leg (IT Band Syndrome) shortly after leaving Espinal. This lady saw my red face (I am a redhead so red face in warm weather or when working hard is normal for me, but disconcerting to the locals), and that I was in a bit of pain and took me from the river to Zubiri where I could have it looked at.

It is an adventure no matter which route is chosen. Because it is new, it is best to play it as safe as you can without going crazy about it. Then it is not fun anymore.

Michelle--Jacki is not me, I can assure you!

Forum members can only have one account.

:)

Dear Jaki
Walk the Rota Vicentina in Algarve, Portugal if you like country side and ocean view.
Brandy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back