• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route for quick one week trip- easy in/ easy out.

bhovers

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles walked in early June 2015.
I'd love to hike on the Camino for a few days. But we don't have much time- my husband is working in Madrid through the afternoon on Thurs/June 4 . We could catch a train/ plane that evening. We have to be home in the US by June 12. That leaves barely one week to get to/from the trailhead and get in a few days of hiking. I would love to end in Santiago de Compostela and understand that it would be a fairly convenient ending point to catch a train back to Madrid on June 11. My question is this: what would be the best starting point (easy to get to and about 5 days out). I don't yet have a good feel about which trail would be the most appealing to me, although we generally prefer more strenuous hiking. Unfortunately, I think our decision might need to be more driven by the logistics/ time frame. Any suggestions for a short section that we could get to/from efficiently?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sarria is probably the "typical" starting point for five days with the destination being Santiago.
Or Camino Ingles (although that would take longer to get to)
Or if you didn't need to finish in Santiago the Camino del Salvador is a favourite of many who walk it (Leon to Oviedo). This fits the bill for "more strenuous hiking" - and there is a lovely Cathedral at each end;-)

The Camino Ingles would be the best bet for you as it is a 'complete' camino and as easy as anywhere to get to. There are cheap Ryanair flights to / from SDC from where you can get the bus up to Ferrol and begin there. It can be completed in 5 days from Ferrol (a curious but cute and friendly rather down at heel Galician town), giving you a full day in SdC at the end.

You say you would like to be stretched a little. The Camino Ingles is quite a bit tougher than the Frances from Sarria (after the first stage, anyway). It has plenty of ups and downs, going against the grain of the land.The testing stage from Betanzos to Bruma nearly killed me, though the weather of driving sleet and strong winds had something to do with that too.

It is a beautiful, quiet camino and passes through the two lovely towns of Pontedueme and Betanzos. Both these places are arguably more interesting halts than anywhere on the last 100 kms of the Frances.

Whatever you decide, have a very Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ferrol to Santiago (Camino Inglés) should be easy to reach (does RENFE go right through from Madrid to Ferrol without a change?) and you could break the Betanzos-Bruma stage by booking in to Meson Novo at Meson do Vento; ask Don Antonio to collect you at Casa Julia and reurn you there next morning to finish the stage. A 16km walk on the final day (Sigueiro to Santiago could see you in Santiago by lunch time.
Buen Camino

True @Walter1407 . That is probably why the Inglés makes such a good short Camino. It doesn't have the 'rush' of the Francés.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you want a Compostela (certificate)? You certainly can hike the 100 km in 5 days and get one. Leaving from either Sarria (Frances) or Ferrol (Ingles) have the required distance and places along the way to obtain the necessary cellos.

Others know the other Caminos. I did the Ingles several years ago. The route was quite pastoral and / or rural in places. I rarely saw other pilgrims on the trail so it was more spiritual than communal, but very visually pleasing and pleasant. The first day was hiking along the shore from Ferrol to Pontedume. Both PonteDume and Betanzos (second day) were really nice towns. The last day from Seguerio to Santiago was less interesting as the route enters the outskirts of Santiago. I am planning to do this again this summer with a family member.

Another idea is to walk from Santiago to Fisterre. I think that's about 55 km (not sure about the distance). This isn't really part of the Camino, but may pilgrims extend their route from where they finish in Santaigo to either Fisterre or Muxia. Most seem to hike to Fisterre in 3 days. At the end you are at the lighthouse (Faro de Fisterre) looking out over the Atlantic Ocean.

If you think the Ingles route might work get John Walker's guide. The route is well marked and there quite a number of interesting things to see along the way. John's guide has them marked, tells about their importance and some of the history. He also has places to stay.

Also check out magwood.workpress.com. She has done the Frances and Portugues routes. Every day she wrote an interesting blog page about the day with photos. Her writings on the last days of the Portugues might make that route of interest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd love to hike on the Camino for a few days. But we don't have much time- my husband is working in Madrid through the afternoon on Thurs/June 4 . We could catch a train/ plane that evening. We have to be home in the US by June 12. That leaves barely one week to get to/from the trailhead and get in a few days of hiking. I would love to end in Santiago de Compostela and understand that it would be a fairly convenient ending point to catch a train back to Madrid on June 11. My question is this: what would be the best starting point (easy to get to and about 5 days out). I don't yet have a good feel about which trail would be the most appealing to me, although we generally prefer more strenuous hiking. Unfortunately, I think our decision might need to be more driven by the logistics/ time frame. Any suggestions for a short section that we could get to/from efficiently?
Yeah, start in Sarria and walk on in to Santiago in about 5 days. It's a good, simple and very cool way to experience the Camino for the first time. If you like it, maybe one day do a longer one. You certainly wouldn't be cheating yourself starting in Sarria and you can fly or train back to Madrid pretty quick. I wouldn't look at it as rushing your Camino. It's not. It's simply the only way you can experience it at this time. Think of it as a primer.

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions! I am going to 'study up' tonight on all the routes mentioned and book my flights!

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions! I am going to 'study up' tonight on all the routes mentioned and book my flights!
this is a great thread for me, thanks! my husband and i are hoping to walk the camino for a week in early june this year. we fly into madrid and then need to get to majorca for the second week of the trip. i wanted to ask, which route you ended up going with? or if you found any other useful information in your research.

we would love the option of biking a portion for a day or two also.

also, are the hostels easily accessible on these trails? thanks so much!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
this is a great thread for me, thanks! my husband and i are hoping to walk the camino for a week in early june this year. we fly into madrid and then need to get to majorca for the second week of the trip. i wanted to ask, which route you ended up going with? or if you found any other useful information in your research.

we would love the option of biking a portion for a day or two also.

also, are the hostels easily accessible on these trails? thanks so much!

I'm glad to hear this was a useful thread for someone besides me. I was so grateful for all the thoughtful responses I received.

I really struggled with this decision and changed my mind more than once before selecting the Camino Ingles. I still wonder if perhaps the Camino Frances (Sarria-Santiago) might have been a better choice for the classic experience. But there were some comments made about the number of pilgrims on that route that concerned me. While I enjoy meeting people when I'm hiking, I've been on overly popular public trails that were literally shoulder to shoulder and I didn't want that. So I hope the Camino Ingles is a nice middle ground-- with a chance to meet others along the way but not so many that I feel like I'm in a herd.

We're staying in hotels rather than hostels, so I can't speak to your question about that. Let me know what route you choose!

I'm glad to hear this was a useful thread for someone besides me. I was so grateful for all the thoughtful responses I received.

I really struggled with this decision and changed my mind more than once before selecting the Camino Ingles. I still wonder if perhaps the Camino Frances (Sarria-Santiago) might have been a better choice for the classic experience. But there were some comments made about the number of pilgrims on that route that concerned me. While I enjoy meeting people when I'm hiking, I've been on overly popular public trails that were literally shoulder to shoulder and I didn't want that. So I hope the Camino Ingles is a nice middle ground-- with a chance to meet others along the way but not so many that I feel like I'm in a herd.

We're staying in hotels rather than hostels, so I can't speak to your question about that. Let me know what route you choose!
There is nothing classic about the last CF 100km: it's anticlimatic for those walking from futher back, a lot of noisy people on a romp on country roads. Goof for you for knowing what is important to you and sticking to it.

There is nothing classic about the last CF 100km: it's anticlimatic for those walking from futher back, a lot of noisy people on a romp on country roads. Goof for you for knowing what is important to you and sticking to it.
Thank you for your comment. It makes me think I made the right decision!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your comment. It makes me think I made the right decision!
The last 100 km are like a walk through the forest ending with some people walking and completing their 800km pilgrimage and achieving their Compostella at the end. Along with these pilgrims are people that just don't have the time and others racing along the trails on their bikes. This does not make their Camino less or more than mine and this is not to judge in any possible way.
Pick a part of the camino that will be challenging and where you can do some reflection. Hear the sound of your own feet. Feel the wind on your face, and taste the organic berries in the bushes.Visit some Spanish towns and experience the welcoming Spanish people. In these towns you can see and feel a scense of community. People gathering in the park and talking to each other and other neighbors talking to each other on their streets until 10:00 at night. You will meet with the pilgrims that have traveled on foot from maybe SJPDP, you might inquire as to why they came on the Camino. Watch some videos on YouTube about the Camino. It is my belief that some of these things might enrich your Camino since you have so little time. Buen Camino.

Last edited:

How do you get from Madrid to Ferrol to start the walk? I see there's an airport in SDC but it seems wrong to fly there, then find transport to Ferrol to start walking back to the same place you came from? Thanks for the help!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How do you get from Madrid to Ferrol to start the walk? I see there's an airport in SDC but it seems wrong to fly there, then find transport to Ferrol to start walking back to the same place you came from? Thanks for the help!

Sorry, I see Ferrol has an airport too. This is all coming together. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back