• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best route through Germany.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Thinking of starting from Oslo or Fredrikshavn in Denmark and end up in Santiago. Need advice about the shortest route through Germany. There are a lot of Jakobswege in Germany, so I wonder what is the easiest and best marked way south. I know the route through Switzerland is fairly nice, but too expensive for me if I am going to walk for several months. So I would try to avoid it.
Randi

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks!
I have followed Lovingkindness link from her trip and I am not quite sure that she followed the Jakobswege all the time. I have bought some German guidebooks that cover the camino from Flensburg, via Hamburg and Bremen to Køln and from there to Trier and Metz to Le Puy. Think after looking at deutsche-jakobswege.de that it might be the shortest way. But I wonder if somebody can tell me if these routes are well marked or not. And if there are other routes where the frequencies of pilgrims are higher. On a long walk alone it is OK to meet some other pilgrims no and then.
Randi

I walked the Mosel Camino last June from Koblenz to Trier. That is the only route I know in Germany. It was eight hard days because the route goes up and down between the riverside and the hills around, but it was a wonderful route, and I would be happy to walk it ones more. There were a few albergues, but we usually stayed in hostels. This route was very well marked, no problems finding our way. There are not many other walkers, but we were not quite alone. Here is an address:
www.mosel-camino.info
Conrad Stein Verlag has good guide-books for very many caminos in Germany. We used one of them for the Mosel Camino.
Good Luck!
Bjørg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like the walks in Germany. Although my routes have been in Bavaria (so far!), I have found the German routes very well marked, and the trails well-maintained. Lodging in Gasthaus, complete with one of the most robust breakfasts on the planet, runs around 35 Euros. Hostels and pilgrim-hosts (private homes) are occasionally available, and would be less expensive. The German-language guidebook series from Conrad-Stein (the famous yellow ones) are quite good, with route maps and some lodging info, is the stadard guide. Amazon.de carries them if your local bookseller does not. Having been along the Rhine on non-pilgrim trips, I can attest that the routes near Koln-Trier-Koblenz are indeed well marked. Gute Reise!

Thinking of starting from Oslo or Fredrikshavn in Denmark and end up in Santiago. Need advice about the shortest route through Germany. There are a lot of Jakobswege in Germany, so I wonder what is the easiest and best marked way south. I know the route through Switzerland is fairly nice, but too expensive for me if I am going to walk for several months. So I would try to avoid it.
Randi
I am setting out on the Jakobusweg from Nürnberg on 2nd April. I aim to walk as far as Einsiedeln. Alison Raju's CSJ Pilgrim Guide is excellent, but needs updating so far as the map section is concerned: The Map Shop, Upton-on-Severn has supplied me with the following:
Kompass 170, 174, 778, 789, 782 - all 1:50,000
Umgebungskarte UK50-21 (Ries Nördlingen Dinkelsbühl) 1:50,000 and
Kompass 11 - a 2-map set covering the Bodensee - 1:35,000
The Jakobusweg is marked on all these maps, which - between them - cover the German section of my Camino, and a little of the Swiss section.
I have taken my scissors to them, to save myself the backache of carrying them complete!
Martin

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back